Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

There's a rumor that Manchin, Donnelly, Murkowski, and Collns have formed a voting pact. I don't know which way. 

I have to think Manchin would be a no vote until it's clear Kavanaugh has enough votes to be confirmed at which point they'll let him vote yes.  I also assume it's already over, so he's voting yes.

Edited by kevwun

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Again, you keep using the word disagree as if this is a contract dispute over a shipment of widgets. Instead Flake is wrong.  

And what do you think the word public in public official means?  He signed up for this.  Its about time we hold him publicly accountable.  

And you keep using the word credible when the word you are actually meaning to use is sympathetic. They aren't the same thing.  Sympathy is an emotional reaction. Credible is an intellectual one.  You can feel for her plight and at the same time believe she has not been consistent enough in her testimony to be credible when you look at the details she has changed from time to time.

• Like 1

Again, you keep using the word disagree as if this is a contract dispute over a shipment of widgets. Instead Flake is wrong.  
And what do you think the word public in public official means?  He signed up for this.  Its about time we hold him publicly accountable.  

Ok. I disagree. I find that behavior repellent. And I’m guessing you would never actually do what your advocating because you’re a decent person.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah you're right, the guy who caused lifelong psychological damage to it is completely in the right. Fuck you for not believing her extremely credible testimony and not even giving her the dignity of a full fact-finding effort.

While I tend to believe her, she chose to wait 36 years. She chose to send the letters but not step forward initially. I fully think an assault victim should be able to decide when and if they come forward, but they don't get to completely control the entire process and might lose something if they delay.

Just now, EMAWesome said:

And you keep using the word credible when the word you are actually meaning to use is sympathetic. They aren't the same thing.  Sympathy is an emotional reaction. Credible is an intellectual one.  You can feel for her plight and at the same time believe she has not been consistent enough in her testimony to be credible when you look at the details she has changed from time to time.

I havent used the word credible.  You dont have to be a liar too. I said Flake was wrong. 

3 minutes ago, NowThis said:

what a shame that some Democrats are backing him. wow, the insanity. 

Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little shit twinkle-toed cocksucker down here, who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh?! The fairy fucking godmother said it! Out-fucking-standing! I will P.T. you all until
you fucking die! I'll P.T. you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk!

Every time some mouth breathing Neanderthal complains that "why did they take so long to say something?" I want to punch them in the throat.

Men are fucking pigs.  They don't need to run this country anymore.  And they should only be less than half of Congress, since they're the minority in this country.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok. I disagree. I find that behavior repellent. And I’m guessing you would never actually do what your advocating because you’re a decent person.

Id absolutely tell Flake what I thought about him if I saw him. And Id do that precisely because I am a decent person.  He chose to be a public official. He could have been assistant manager at an IHOP instead. 

And I know you like decorum.  You would have been a sweetheart to that Nazi next door in 30s Germany. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can't some of these accusers decide to take Kavanaugh to civil court, where he won't be able to talk back to the judge like he did with the senators yesterday and his tantrums won't be tolerated?  I assume there isn't a law that says you can't sue a SCOTUS justice for their past personal behavior.

Why would they want to open themselves up to defamation lawsuits when they still can’t pricice a shred of evidence. 

Inguess that’s why Diane sat on the information until she needed to exploit Ford. She needs to step down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Id absolutely tell Flake what I thought about him if I saw him. And Id do that precisely because I am a decent person.  He chose to be a public official. He could have been assistant manager at an IHOP instead. 

And I know you like decorum.  You would have been a sweetheart to that Nazi next door in 30s Germany. 

It's not decorum its dignity.

You said shouted down. Your words. Is that what you would do if you saw him in a public place? Shout him down, everywhere he goes, forever?

You sound dumber every time you Godwin the thread. I don’t think you’re dumb.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Every time some mouth breathing Neanderthal complains that "why did they take so long to say something?" I want to punch them in the throat.

Men are fucking pigs.  They don't need to run this country anymore.  And they should only be less than half of Congress, since they're the minority in this country.

But vote for Beto. He’s just a few more years away from being just another old white guy in Congress 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Go outside and take a breather 

• Like 1

O’Rourke to pull out if senate race due to alcohol induced memory loss as proven by his lie or missrepresentation of fleeing the scene of a crime. As he admitted and was confirmed. 

We have no way to know if he sexually assaulted any woman while in one of his black outs in his 20s. Damn shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

O’Rourke to pull out if senate race due to alcohol induced memory loss as proven by his lie or missrepresentation of fleeing the scene of a crime. As he admitted and was confirmed. 

We have no way to know if he sexually assaulted any woman while in one of his black outs in his 20s. Damn shame. 

Try again. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

r0fXL4q.gif?1

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Sexual assault is a state crime. The President has no pardon power there.

Unless there's a supreme court case coming up that Hatch even wrote an amicus brief on, that would extend presidential pardon power down to the state level?

The Utah lawmaker Orrin Hatch, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, filed a 44-page amicus brief earlier this month in Gamble v. United States, a case that will consider whether the dual-sovereignty doctrine should be put to rest. The 150-year-old exception to the Fifth Amendment’s double-jeopardy clause allows state and federal courts to prosecute the same person for the same criminal offense. According to the brief he filed on September 11, Hatch believes the doctrine should be overturned. “The extensive federalization of criminal law has rendered ineffective the federalist underpinnings of the dual sovereignty doctrine,” his brief reads. “And its persistence impairs full realization of the Double Jeopardy Clause’s liberty protections.”

Within the context of the Mueller probe, legal observers have seen the dual-sovereignty doctrine as a check on President Donald Trump’s power: It could discourage him from trying to shut down the Mueller investigation or pardon anyone caught up in the probe, because the pardon wouldn’t be applied to state charges. Under settled law, if Trump were to pardon his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, for example—he was convicted last month in federal court on eight counts of tax and bank fraud—both New York and Virginia state prosecutors could still charge him for any crimes that violated their respective laws. (Both states have a double-jeopardy law that bars secondary state prosecutions for committing “the same act,” but there are important exceptions, as the Fordham University School of Law professor Jed Shugerman has noted.) If the dual-sovereignty doctrine were tossed, as Hatch wants, then Trump’s pardon could theoretically protect Manafort from state action.

Nah no reason he'd want Kavanaugh, who has written many opinions and papers in favor of expanding executive powers on the supreme court.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

You said shouted down. Your words. Is that what you would do if you saw him in a public place? Shout him down, everywhere he goes, forever?

You sound dumber every time you Godwin the thread. I don’t think you’re dumb.

I said he should be shouted down everywhere he goes forever. He should.

I didnt say I would be the one to always do it. If I do see him in a public place, I will shout him down though. 

But you go ahead and shake hands with David Duke or whatever it is you do down there.