Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I thought that flake, collins, murkowski and maybe manchin had a voting pact or some shit.  Was that only in play before the FBI move by Flake?

There was a lot of talk it was Collins, Murkowski, Manchin and Donnelly who huddled last Friday night and would be a voting bloc, per aides.  Donnelly already was a hard "no" not long after.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Apparently Murkowski is getting hammered by her constituents. 

Also she came out as part of the #MeToo movement and deep down, she really doesn't think Kavanaugh can be impartial and fair to victims of sexual assault.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

A bit off topic at this point, but am I the only one who had never heard the term Devil's Triangle before this?  I know of a devil's threesome, is that supposed to be the same thing? Has anyone here referred to a devil's threesome as a devil's triangle?

In all fairness, from your vantage point your boyfriends may have just called it ‘pillow biter’

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let your freak flag fly.  I'm surprised you resisted the urge to type "the blacks".

Also "republicans" accusing others of being dumb voters in 2018 is an intellectual own goal.

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

So 51-49 Bart is the expected tally for the weekend, correct?

If Collins is a yes, 51-49 most likely (Manchin will vote yes then)

If Collins is a no, either 50-50 (Pence breaks tie if Manchin votes yes) or dead at 49-51 if Manchin votes no and Murkowski remains a no

Just now, triplehorn said:

Manchin won't be a Y for 50 if Collins is a NO

Also how I feel.  He has a bigger upside in voting no than yes.  You don't pick up any votes by voting yes (they weren't going to vote for him regardless) but instead you piss off your base by voting yes.

34 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Jewish people aren't stupid, and tend to notice who Republicans have crawled into bed with recently.

This.  My (Jewish) father was a republican for decades, and ran for office as a republican.  About the time they started cozying up the "religious" right (W era) he stopped voting republican a lot of the time.  Completely left the part by the time they started putting kids in concentration camps.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also how I feel.  He has a bigger upside in voting no than yes.  You don't pick up any votes by voting yes (they weren't going to vote for him regardless) but instead you piss off your base by voting yes.

You think he's going lose his base voting yes ?  I'm not seeing that.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Manchin also has the preexisting condition deal for all of his diabetic mountain-dew head constituents. Kavanaugh. He can justify it based solely on Kavanaugh's writing re the ACA. 

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Well, come Monday the Dems will either be happy about a victory on Kavanaugh, or perhaps even happier about making lemonade (midterms) after a defeat.

Everything I've read shows the enthusiasm gap has closed.  This could end up being very costly.

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Well, come Monday the Dems will either be happy about a victory on Kavanaugh, or perhaps even happier about making lemonade (midterms) after a defeat.

Unless polling data is wrong (which we learned is not infallible) this almost certainly cost the Democrats the senate. 

Even if by some miracle he does not get nominated, Trump is going to put a conseravite on the court to replace Kennedy. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

"cost the Democrats the Senate".

WTF?

Democrats winning the Senate was a pipedream only because the GOP has bungled their full control of the government so badly. SO BADLY.

Republicans were handed a majority and the chance to potentially end up with 59-60 seats and will be sweating on Election Day to keep their majority.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Of course.   Every accusation is a confession.   And by design — it inoculates them from attack, because at worst it can be sold as #bothsides, whether or not that is true.  It's a critical part of the total war on truth that is underway. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

From what I can tell, the liberals did everything they could to stop Kavanaugh.  They have failed so they are lashing out.   Probably the biggest political loss since the 2016 election.

Hint: the Republicans have a majority and the liberals can’t stop him from being confirmed.   Everything rides on people with an (R) next to their name. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

And that enthusiasm disappears on the Republican side the minute he's confirmed.

Not so much on the Democratic side.

Hella easy to sustain anger. A lot hard to sustain complacency after a victory. (See: 2010, Obamacare)

30 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

From what I can tell, the liberals did everything they could to stop Kavanaugh.  They have failed so they are lashing out.   Probably the biggest political loss since the 2016 election.

No. That would be failing to repeal the ACA.

This is just what happens when you're in the minority. It's normal.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Still waiting on what makes him "one of the most evil men in the world"    All kidding aside, it is unsupported  statements like this that by the right that have put Soros into the role of Universal  Bogey Man.    Nobody knows what he did to deserve this supervillain status, and we don't really have time to explain it to you, so just accept it and move on with life. 

It's like somehow a branch of the Q crap that has been chosen to be legitimized by the right.    Maybe because so much of his works are global and not solely in the US, so he can be demonized easier, since we don't pay much attention to what goes on outside our borders?

So yes, you guys keep touting how all the accusations against BK are asinine and false.  Please give me credible evidence that Soros is the monster you claim him to be, or STFU.

Soros is hated in Israel too. With regard to Israel, all he has said that “it has a right to exist”. He is a leftist who supports open borders and agitates against nationalists all over the globe. Fuck him

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

One thing that strikes me though is that bullshit middle stance that R's are trying to take, that "something" probably have happened to Ford and she was probably assaulted as she said....but wrong or confused about who did it. I mean fucking seriously? That's ludicrous. If you know the person doing that to you....you know THAT person is doing that. It's much more intellectually honest to just either admit you think she's lying or that BK did this.

100% this. 

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Hillary, 2016 and every poll one month before the election say, Hello.

Yeah, not the same at all.  EVERY poll was saying the same thing for her, and said the same until Election Day.  Everyone is referencing the same single poll for this proof that the Dems are doomed re: enthusiasm.

Just now, David Dennison said:

You mean all of the national polls that were accurate? Or are you talking about some other polls?

We have already argued this point many times it the past.  try again.

Also, your attempt at redirect is noted and lame.

My comment was in regards to, "Not sure I've ever seen a singular poll from over a month before Election Day elicit so many definitive conclusions."

Every talking head  was certain in 2016.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

One thing that strikes me though is that bullshit middle stance that R's are trying to take, that "something" probably have happened to Ford and she was probably assaulted as she said....but wrong or confused about who did it. I mean fucking seriously? That's ludicrous. If you know the person doing that to you....you know THAT person is doing that. It's much more intellectually honest to just either admit you think she's lying or that BK did this. I know where I stand.

I think that "middle stance" was only really popular until they all got free reign to ridicule the victim by DOTUS.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Lulz, of course you're a fucking blood-purist. I think you would be great friends with this guy:

lord_voldemort.jpg 

Jews marrying other Jews is how they survived as a people over the millennia. It’s pretty sad that Reform Jews living in the US now free of persecution and discrimination are abandoning their faith and tradition that their ancestors fought so hard to maintain. I will give you 2 examples. Last year in the NYT, I read that some Reform Jews are not even getting their sons circumcised!! God’s covenant with Abraham and the marker of being Jewish. and they are ignoring because of some bullshit leftist reasons. The last Passover Seder I went to the host had this ultra-abridged Haggadah. It was 20 pages at best with illustrations. I am not a Jew but I was offended that such an important holiday that I have so much respect for was treated with such a trifling ceremony.