Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Jews marrying other Jews is how they survived as a people over the millennia. It’s pretty sad that Reform Jews living in the US now free of persecution and discrimination are abandoning their faith and tradition that their ancestors fought so hard to maintain. I will give you 2 examples. Last year in the NYT, I read that some Reform Jews are not even getting their sons circumcised!! God’s covenant with Abraham and the marker of being Jewish. and they are ignoring because of some bullshit leftist reasons. The last Passover Seder I went to the host had this ultra-abridged Haggadah. It was 20 pages at best with illustrations. I am not a Jew but I was offended that such an important holiday that I have so much respect for was treated with such a trifling ceremony.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I think that "middle stance" was only really popular until they all got free reign to ridicule the victim by DOTUS.

100% this

Before receiving marching orders, immediately after watching Ford's testimony, the conservatives were silent. They were talking about how credible a witness she was on FOX. After Kavanaugh's testimony, however, the plan of attack was becoming clearer and they started coming out of the woodwork. The more time that passes from Ford's credible testimony, the nastier conservatives are free to become.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Jews marrying other Jews is how they survived as a people over the millennia. It’s pretty sad that Reform Jews living in the US now free of persecution and discrimination are abandoning their faith and tradition that their ancestors fought so hard to maintain. I will give you 2 examples. Last year in the NYT, I read that some Reform Jews are not even getting their sons circumcised!! God’s covenant with Abraham and the marker of being Jewish. and they are ignoring because of some bullshit leftist reasons. The last Passover Seder I went to the host had this ultra-abridged Haggadah. It was 20 pages at best with illustrations. I am not a Jew but I was offended that such an important holiday that I have so much respect for was treated with such a trifling ceremony.

No. They are ignoring it because it's nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

This is for those harping on Kavanaugh not having “judicial temperament”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-it-feels-to-be-falsely-accused-1538695989

How It Feels To Be Falsely Accused

My high-profile clients know the painful personal costs of defamation.

Libby Locke
Oct. 4, 2018 7:33 p.m. ET
Judge Brett Kavanaugh wipes a tear before the Senate Judiciary Committee in Washington, Sept. 27.

As an attorney, I represent people at the pinnacle of their careers facing front-page reputational attacks. I spend countless hours, day and night, counseling and consoling high-profile clients—from CEOs to celebrities—experiencing acute trauma. Those falsely accused of misconduct—professional or personal, sexual or criminal—face a hellish choice: Let it go and allow the lie to persist as a permanent blot, or fight back through the legal process to clear their name. As we talk through the decision, my clients grapple with the damage to their relationships, lives and reputations.

They lament the unfairness of having their reputations destroyed—legacies built from work, faith, relationships and day-to-day treatment of others over a lifetime. They slowly realize there is no easy fix, in part because First Amendment precedents place an enormous burden of proof on defamation plaintiffs. Most poignantly, they grieve over the damage to their families. 

They worry about who has seen the defamation. The parents of their children’s classmates? The neighbors? The cashier who sees their name on a credit card? They stress out wondering if they’ll ever be able to go to a social gathering without encountering someone who thinks it’s true. They get angry. They cry. For most, it is their darkest hour. 

That is why I was not at all surprised by Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s emotional response last week, shifting from moral indignation at the absurd and vicious political theater to sorrow at the impact of the accusation on his family. Like my clients, Judge Kavanaugh is facing the gut-wrenching trauma of this high-profile—indeed, the most high-profile—reputational attack. 

He also faces a Catch-22 as a judicial nominee. His detractors in the media have decreed that the only way to demonstrate innocence is with an “authentic” emotional response, yet that response is taken as evidence of lack of an appropriate “judicial temperament”—as if a Justice Kavanaugh would be hearing his own case. Never mind his hundreds of opinions, the universal praise by litigants who have appeared before him, and the scores of women and men who’ve worked for and effusively praise him. 

Contrast this with the deference afforded to his accusers. The accusations were timed suspiciously, brought forth by Senate Democrats and activist lawyers who lay in wait for six weeks, then leaked to the media just in time to derail a vote. Nonetheless, throngs of people announced that they believed the accusations despite the contradictions, memory lapses and lack of contemporaneous corroboration. 

The public destruction of a respected jurist by a decades-old uncorroborated allegation has thoroughly refuted the idea that those accused of sexual assault have an unfair advantage over their accusers. No wonder Judge Kavanaugh is angry. Any man falsely accused of sexual assault would be. And any respectable jurist would have been frustrated to have his personal reputation and his family’s well-being destroyed—along with bedrock principles of American jurisprudence like due process, evidentiary burdens and the presumption of innocence. 

Ms. Locke is a partner in the law firm Clare Locke LLP, based in Alexandria, Va.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is for those harping on Kavanaugh not having “judicial temperament”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-it-feels-to-be-falsely-accused-1538695989

How It Feels To Be Falsely Accused

My high-profile clients know the painful personal costs of defamation.

Libby Locke
Oct. 4, 2018 7:33 p.m. ET
Judge Brett Kavanaugh wipes a tear before the Senate Judiciary Committee in Washington, Sept. 27.

As an attorney, I represent people at the pinnacle of their careers facing front-page reputational attacks. I spend countless hours, day and night, counseling and consoling high-profile clients—from CEOs to celebrities—experiencing acute trauma. Those falsely accused of misconduct—professional or personal, sexual or criminal—face a hellish choice: Let it go and allow the lie to persist as a permanent blot, or fight back through the legal process to clear their name. As we talk through the decision, my clients grapple with the damage to their relationships, lives and reputations.

They lament the unfairness of having their reputations destroyed—legacies built from work, faith, relationships and day-to-day treatment of others over a lifetime. They slowly realize there is no easy fix, in part because First Amendment precedents place an enormous burden of proof on defamation plaintiffs. Most poignantly, they grieve over the damage to their families. 

They worry about who has seen the defamation. The parents of their children’s classmates? The neighbors? The cashier who sees their name on a credit card? They stress out wondering if they’ll ever be able to go to a social gathering without encountering someone who thinks it’s true. They get angry. They cry. For most, it is their darkest hour. 

That is why I was not at all surprised by Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s emotional response last week, shifting from moral indignation at the absurd and vicious political theater to sorrow at the impact of the accusation on his family. Like my clients, Judge Kavanaugh is facing the gut-wrenching trauma of this high-profile—indeed, the most high-profile—reputational attack. 

He also faces a Catch-22 as a judicial nominee. His detractors in the media have decreed that the only way to demonstrate innocence is with an “authentic” emotional response, yet that response is taken as evidence of lack of an appropriate “judicial temperament”—as if a Justice Kavanaugh would be hearing his own case. Never mind his hundreds of opinions, the universal praise by litigants who have appeared before him, and the scores of women and men who’ve worked for and effusively praise him. 

Contrast this with the deference afforded to his accusers. The accusations were timed suspiciously, brought forth by Senate Democrats and activist lawyers who lay in wait for six weeks, then leaked to the media just in time to derail a vote. Nonetheless, throngs of people announced that they believed the accusations despite the contradictions, memory lapses and lack of contemporaneous corroboration. 

The public destruction of a respected jurist by a decades-old uncorroborated allegation has thoroughly refuted the idea that those accused of sexual assault have an unfair advantage over their accusers. No wonder Judge Kavanaugh is angry. Any man falsely accused of sexual assault would be. And any respectable jurist would have been frustrated to have his personal reputation and his family’s well-being destroyed—along with bedrock principles of American jurisprudence like due process, evidentiary burdens and the presumption of innocence. 

Ms. Locke is a partner in the law firm Clare Locke LLP, based in Alexandria, Va.

Assuming he's being falsely accused.

Just now, David Dennison said:

She's rationalizing a vote that might end her political career.

This is a big day for her.

Which is, of course, exactly what she's going to do.  She was always going to fall in line.  Anyone shocked by this, you should probably just stop trying to think anymore.

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Can someone explain why Soros is anti Kavanaugh? Is he just anti conservative judges or does he want to uphold settled law? Does he want tp preserve the right to abortions? Because I haven't heard him talking about anything so help me out.

Soros is pro-free societies. 

Pretty much the opposite of what authoritarians want. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is, of course, exactly what she's going to do.  She was always going to fall in line.  Anyone shocked by this, you should probably just stop trying to think anymore.

I just hope someone has the wherewithal to track her down and ask her what she thinks if Kavanaugh is the deciding vote on the first case that further erodes Roe.

2 minutes ago, retread said:

I'm sure she'll have some harsh words for him when he rules in a way that she says he won't.

"But he said precedent was rooted in the Constitution! I can't believe he voted to overturn Roe!"

-Susan Collins, summer 2019

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

“Lifelong Republican” creates a misleading picture of Stevens when it comes to SCOTUS politics. He ended up as far left as RBG.  

Edit - This is probably very old news on the thread by now.

and I believe the conclusion is that the reference is at least as accurate as republicans saying they're the party of equal rights since they're the party of Lincoln.

In a just world, she'd end this speech by saying, 'All this notwithstanding, he lied under oath to the Judiciary Committee, is blatantly partisan, and does not have an appropriate judicial temperament, so I vote no.'

Edited by Bat Guano

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Soros is pro-free societies. 

Pretty much the opposite of what authoritarians want. 

He is also against the presumption of innocence and due process, pretty much exactly what authoritarians want.

"They Don't Have the Votes!"........good call.

It's that smell.....that gas   o    lean smell

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Bat Guano said:

In a just world, she'd end this speech by saying, 'All this notwithstanding, he lied under oath to the Judiciary Committee, is blatantly partisan, and does not have an appropriate judicial temperament, so I vote no.'

She should of had 2 caps on the table, then showed the BCAV jersey she was wearing at the end

• Like 1