Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I always find the people who haven't experienced D.C. to be the ones to say "Oh it's always been like this". No, it really hasn't. The entire government was basically behind the scenes inter party horse trading for a century. That has completely and utterly stopped.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I'm your age and it's always been like this. It's politics. It's brutal.

See above.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I'm your age and it's always been like this. It's politics. It's brutal.

No, it hasn't.  You want to think it has, but it hasn't.  Talk to people who actually live and work in that arena, in DC and Austin.  It is a fundamental shift.  Norms and institutions -- while they occasionally took a few shots -- have never been completely discarded the way they have now.  Again, purposeful cruelty is no longer a bug, it's a feature.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Big win for the Republicans, the only question is the choice of alcohol for my celebration. 

Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away.
What care I how time advances;
I am drinking ale today.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I always find the people who haven't experienced D.C. to be the ones to say "Oh it's always been like this". No, it really hasn't. The entire government was basically behind the scenes inter party horse trading for a century. That has completely and utterly stopped.

I lived and worked in DC during Clinton's impeachment and trial in the Senate.

Come on.

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Gotta give Bart credit for standing in the box and taking the high chin music and not bailing. He showed a lot of perseverance and patience and good ole fashioned stick-to-it-iveness. Hope that translates well for him in the high chair.

Yes, it’s great seeing him be overly aggressive to attain something he believes he rightfully deserves.

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Just now, David Dennison said:

Come on.

And I ran in local Republican political leadership circles at that time.  It was not this bad.  I never heard a SINGLE mention of the other side's "sweet tears," or anything of the sort.  And it's only getting worse.  And there is no bottom.  Full speed ahead.

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away.
What care I how time advances;
I am drinking ale today.

No Poe for me tonight, I want to think happy thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And I ran in local Republican political leadership circles at that time.  It was not this bad.  I never heard a SINGLE mention of the other side's "sweet tears," or anything of the sort.  And it's only getting worse.  And there is no bottom.  Full speed ahead.

You realize we live in a country where fist fights routinely broke out on the floor of the House of Representatives, right?

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I'm late to this great party, and I'll probably regret this. But this whole circus has gotten me thinking a lot about something that happened to me eons ago, in middle school. Not as bad as the Ford allegation but similar. And the distance in time from when it happened is probably almost exactly the same as her story. I was at an off-hours school event and 2 of my guy friends shoved me into the bathroom, turned out the light, and groped me all over. They were laughing as they did it. This kind of group thing is such weird, primitive behavior, like it's more for sport/entertainment than sexual gratification.  I remember the incident very well and how utterly shamed and humiliated I felt afterwards.  But I don't remember if I was in 7th or 8th grade. And would have to do the math from there re: the year if I settled on a grade. I don't remember if it was fall or spring semester. I don't remember how I got to the school (did my mom drop me off or did I walk) or how I got home.  No one witnessed it. I didn't tell anyone, least of all my parents, that would have been so weird ... we never talked openly about anything.  None of us back then seemed to have the understanding that this type of thing is a crime.  I honestly don't think I ever told anyone in my whole life, and anyway, there were worse things that happened in that godforsaken town in the years afterwards so I always brushed that one aside. 

One thing that strikes me though is that bullshit middle stance that R's are trying to take, that "something" probably have happened to Ford and she was probably assaulted as she said....but wrong or confused about who did it. I mean fucking seriously? That's ludicrous. If you know the person doing that to you....you know THAT person is doing that. It's much more intellectually honest to just either admit you think she's lying or that BK did this. I know where I stand.

Having said that, I say he's disqualified for his whiny, grasping entitlement, petulance, and lying under oath more than for this. 

/css

Sorry you went through that but glad you were able to vocalize here.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No Avenatti hail mary?

Part of the reason she voted the way she did was the over the top allegations at the 11th hour.  Republicans should be thanking Avenatti for helping Collins come to this decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yes, it’s great seeing him be overly aggressive to attain something he believes he rightfully deserves.

It's great to see a SCOTUS nominee say:

This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.

This is a circus. The consequences will extend long past my nomination. The consequences will be with us for decades. This grotesque and coordinated character assassination will dissuade confident and good people of all political persuasions from serving our country. And as we all know in the United States political system of the early 2000s, what goes around comes around.

You realize we live in a country where fist fights routinely broke out on the floor of the House of Representatives, right?

Not in my lifetime.

But I think we should go back to that.  Again, no half-measures.  This the world we live in.  The GOP wants Thunderdome.  Give it to them.

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Gotta give Bart credit for standing in the box and taking the high chin music and not bailing. He showed a lot of perseverance and patience and good ole fashioned stick-to-it-iveness. Hope that translates well for him in the high chair.

liquid courage?

Come on.

Then you know what I'm saying is right. Or you didn't actually know any pols. Just ten years ago you could go to parties in Boehners office and that is where all the deals got done between the parties, then they would go out on TV and call each other sons of motherless goats. Once the Freedom Caucus Tea Party <insert dumb label> got involved, it utterly ruined that. The first big one was the deal Boehner struck with Obama on the debt ceiling. It was done and dusted, till the lunatics got wind and torpedoed it.

If you want to pick one moment where the government broke, that was probably it.

I grew up around it, my great uncle was a lifelong civil servant and I spent decades around the D.C. scene. What is happening today is unprecedented in modern American politics.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yeah, he handled it with dignity and an air of stoicism.

That is If you consider this stoic.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

"Look how independent I am, I am not going to be Schumer's stooge, vote for me, I am my own man."

Granted, in WV, that will totally work.  But he has a lot of work to do to convince Democrats in WV to bother showing up for him.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Then you know what I'm saying is right. Or you didn't actually know any pols. Just ten years ago you could go to parties in Boehners office and that is where all the deals got done between the parties, then they would go out on TV and call each other sons of motherless goats. Once the Freedom Caucus Tea Party <insert dumb label> got involved, it utterly ruined that. The first big one was the deal Boehner struck with Obama on the debt ceiling. It was done and dusted, till the lunatics got wind and torpedoed it.

If you want to pick one moment where the government broke, that was probably it.

I grew up around it, my great uncle was a lifelong civil servant and I spent decades around the D.C. scene. What is happening today is unprecedented in modern American politics.

Look, I get what you're saying but I disagree. The history of American politics is filled with backbiting, smearing, ratfucking, and actual lethal violence. 

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Big win for the Republicans, the only question is the choice of alcohol for my celebration. 

I suggest rubbing alcohol, and lots of it... seriously, only the worst of humanity could celebrate this. 

I, along with most sane people, get the GOP putting forth a conservative, but not this guy.  And not because of what he may or may not have done 35 years ago, but because of the way he has conducted himself during the confirmation process.  A proven lier and obvious partisan hack has no business being on the Supreme Court.  

But to you this is a reason to celebrate?  People like you are the reason the US has lost it's standing in the world.  Congratulations on being part of the destruction of the American experiment.  You must be so proud.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yes, Tha TURTLE!!!11

Big win for the good guys.

That's about all I think needs to be said about that, no need to gloat, let's move on and Make America Great Again.

It says a lot about the state of a party when a big win is getting your caucus to almost vote unanimously.

LOL

• Like 2

Just now, G650 said:

No shit. I've been pondering my martini for hours, and it has fuck all to do with politics.

Yeah we're driving back from the Carlisle, PA fall car show.  Everything from model T's to the stray Ferrari, and everything in between.  Have to say some of that crowd would make Walmart people shiver ...

its time for a bourbon.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Susan Collins' opponent is taking donations: @DrCat4ME

She'll be getting one from me.  I suggest y'all do the same.  This political world is a zero-sum game.  Actions have consequences.  Make Collins feel the consequences.

This is why I'm team Brisket. Sure he may be all doom and gloom, but the bastard will still vote and give for the cause anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Like he had a choice.  He’s bought and paid for.  Millions upon millions of dollars spent on TV ads couldn’t go to waste.

To sell this frat boy who got every break in life.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Susan Collins' opponent is taking donations: @DrCat4ME

She'll be getting one from me.  I suggest y'all do the same.  This political world is a zero-sum game.  Actions have consequences.  Make Collins feel the consequences.

I applaud your dedication to the democratic process. 

Susan Collins did this to ensure her political survival. The people who did not already hate Trump view this as a sham political ploy to block a Supreme Court judge. Unfortunately the echo chamber media and interwebs allowed those who already did not want him to be nominated to think they were somehow in the majority in thinking this way. 

However for these senators the voters in their home states showed them that was not the case. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I applaud your dedication to the democratic process. 

Susan Collins did this to ensure her political survival. The people who did not already hate Trump view this as a sham political ploy to block a Supreme Court judge. Unfortunately the echo chamber media and interwebs allowed those who already did not want him to be nominated to think they were somehow in the majority in thinking this way. 

However for these senators the voters in their home states showed them that was not the case. 

More people are against Kavanaugh being confirmed than support his confirmation.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not in my lifetime.

But I think we should go back to that.  Again, no half-measures.  This the world we live in.  The GOP wants Thunderdome.  Give it to them.

Yup.  The Ds shouldn't have half assed it by only lining up accusers.  They also needed corroborating witnesses.  Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Do you hear that term regularly anywhere else but the Internet? I do not. And I live in Trumpland.

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Because I don't follow the news or talk openly about politics at work or with family,  I can fall into the trap of thinking that this board's slant/posters/posts are the majority of America, too, but I'm thinking it's probably not. I guess we will see in a month a couple of days.

If you followed the media’s outrageously biased coverage of this you would think this is the position most Americans have. 

Then we started actually polling independent voters and the Senators went, “Oh Fuck”