Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Do you hear that term regularly anywhere else but the Internet? I do not. And I live in Trumpland.

Turn on Fox news, listen to the commentators etc. for 15 minutes or so.  You'll hear some variation of it or allusion to it.  There is genuine joy taken in making the opposition suffer.

Fine.  Let's play.

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yes, Tha TURTLE!!!11

Big win for the good guys.

That's about all I think needs to be said about that, no need to gloat, let's move on and Make America Great Again.

“Good guys”

lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like the Soros memo hit the inbox of everyone in the GOP. 

Seriously. I am so sick of this line. Put up or shut up about paid protesters. Provide evidence, you piece of shit.

I swear to god, these guys say so much untrue claptrap and voters don't seem to care (They are rewarded for it, in fact).

Hell, Trump said multiple times this week that Kavanaugh was No. 1 in his class at Yale, which is patently untrue; completely untrue, and all America can muster is:

Image result for oh you!

VOTE THEM OUT.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 3

Just now, Anastasis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a shot at Kavanaugh or a Senator. 

Me neither.  Which I think is absolutely horrific.  But I'm watching the game unfold.  It's like watching Texas-OU in 2000.  After watching the first two Quentin Griffin TDs, you knew that it was going to end in carnage.  The whistle blew and it was 63-14.  I'm watching the game.  That's how it's going to end.  Summary: we're fucked.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Why just her?

Not JUST her.  But it's DIRECT -- it is a clear consequence for a single action. And, it's someplace where it can make a difference.

But no, not JUST her.  Anyplace where there's vulnerability, attack and exploit with money, votes, and work.  No Republican politician should ever get a good night's sleep ever again.

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Time to water the tree of liberty...there will be blood.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yep. 

Oh yeah?  You boys going to go kill some people because you didn't get your way?  Grow the fuck up you pieces of shit.

• Like 4

It doesn’t matter if Kav is innocent or guilty.  It doesn’t matter if you believe Dr Ford or not. The country suffers because of this.

It could have been so easily avoidable by putting up a better nominee, they could have even been more conservative.  But no because fuck half the country. They don’t matter.  This government serves the ruling class only.  Deal with it.  That “we the people” shit died a little bit more today. 

Congrats GOP

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

Turn on Fox news, listen to the commentators etc. for 15 minutes or so.  You'll hear some variation of it or allusion to it.  There is genuine joy taken in making the opposition suffer.
Fine.  Let's play.

That’s not what I asked but OK. You understand that 24-hour news *isn’t real*, right? It’s sick entertainment for profit. It’s only job is to create agitation so you don’t get a resolution to anything and you keep watching. It’s like Lost. As a percentage of the population basically no one watches it.

I meant in your real daily life.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It doesn’t matter if Kav is innocent or guilty.  It doesn’t matter if you believe Dr Ford or not. The country suffers because of this.

It could have been so easily avoidable by putting  a better nominee, they could have even been more conservative.  But no because fuck half the country. They don’t matter.  This government serves the ruling class only.  Deal with it.  That “we the people shit” died a little bit more today. 

Congrats GOP

We all know what this is really about.

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Yup.  The Ds shouldn't have half assed it by only lining up accusers.  They also needed corroborating witnesses.  Lesson learned.

Naah.  They need more than that.  They need to play by the rules of the game, as declared by the GOP leadership:

“Let me tell you my Democratic friends,” Graham said, “if this is the new norm, you better watch out for your nominees.”

That's it.  That's the GOP telling you flat-out, they will do whatever it takes (and let's be clear -- they absolutely will).  There ARE NO MORE NORMS.  THERE ARE NO MORE RULES.  There is only ONE RULE: WIN.

Anyone who opposes the GOP and plays by ANY set of rules or norms is handicapping themselves and condemning themselves to failure.  They do not have any interest in representing ANYONE except their base.  And their base is sustained, fed, and thrilled by seeing the opposition suffer.  Thunder-fucking-dome.  WIN.  That's it.  That's the only rule that matters anymore.  So, play by it.

So just for clarification...

Folks in favor of Kavanaugh:

Trump

Trumpkins 

GOP senators

Incels

Russia

Powerful men who have sexually assaulted women

Those opposed:

The American Bar Association

Former Republican Supreme Court justice

Kavanaugh's law school

Kavanaugh's friends and associates (aside from Timmy, squi, etc.

2,500+ law professors

All sexual assault survivors

Anyone interested in judicial integrity

The majority of the population

Hmmm, tell me again how this is a good thing for the country again?  And don't say Roe...the GOP could have nominated a dozen other more qualified candidates.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, I like all the people celebrating this "win." can't wait for a ruling to come down that affects their life or someone's they love. Maybe they'll get it then. Probably not.

It's a political win that they were always going to win because they have a majority. I'm just amazed it took them this long to get them to agree on this nominee. That is going to take a toll.

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I applaud your dedication to the democratic process. 

Susan Collins did this to ensure her political survival. The people who did not already hate Trump view this as a sham political ploy to block a Supreme Court judge. Unfortunately the echo chamber media and interwebs allowed those who already did not want him to be nominated to think they were somehow in the majority in thinking this way. 

However for these senators the voters in their home states showed them that was not the case. 

This is a reasonable perspective.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It's a political win that they were always going to win because they have a majority. I'm just amazed it took them this long to get them to agree on this nominee. That is going to take a toll.

Your predictions have been spot on.  Do you post under Branding Iron 13-0 on Texags?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It could have been so easily avoidable by putting up a better nominee, they could have even been more conservative.  But no because fuck half the country. They don’t matter.  This government serves the ruling class only.  Deal with it.  That “we the people” shit died a little bit more today. 

Congrats GOP

There is no "we the people."  Tear those words out of the Constitution.  There are the winners, and there are the losers.  And the losers must bow at the feet of the winners and suffer.

You're either the victor, or the vanquished.  There is no middle path:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s not what I asked but OK. You understand that 24-hour news *isn’t real*, right? It’s sick entertainment for profit. It’s only job is to create agitation so you don’t get a resolution to anything and you keep watching. It’s like Lost. As a percentage of the population basically no one watches it.

Yes.  I know people who fucking think EXACTLY how Fox News tells them to, thank you very much.  My father in law.  My brother in law.  Shit, most of my father in law's siblings.  Those are just the examples from my immediate family, mind you.

Fuck em.  That's they're attitude towards me and mine, that's the attitude they receive in return.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

In all honesty, I hope no one does anything extremely stupid and hurts/kills someone involved in this in the next 72hrs or so.

52 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

As polarized as our politics are, violence is inevitable.

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Time to water the tree of liberty...there will be blood.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yep. 

So are you guys predicting that the seating of Kavanaugh will cause right-leaning folks—you know, the Republicans/Nazis/deplorables—to become violent toward the liberals?

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Trump

Trumpkins 

GOP senators

Incels

Russia

Those opposed:

Kavanaugh's law school

2,500+ law professors

Hmmm, tell me again how this is a good thing for the country again?  And don't say Roe...the GOP could have nominated a dozen other more qualified candidates.

I'll keep saying this until EVERYONE understands: this was never about Roe. This was never about any specific ruling. This was about protecting Trump. Not the Presidency. Trump, and Trump alone. Maybe his family too if he can swing it, but this is all about Trump. All other damage from this nomination is collateral.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And there will be consequences.  You can only get so drunk on power before you blackout and do something really stupid that will come back to haunt you.

oh wait...never mind

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Excuse me? Fox News has 100% had a direct effect on my in-laws political views. As a percentage of the voting population, I think it affects a significant portion of the Republican bloc.  It shouldn't be real news, but it absolutely is. To a lot of people. 

Just now, Cacti said:

So are you guys predicting that the seating of Kavanaugh will cause right-leaning folks—you know, the Republicans/Nazis/deplorables—to become violent toward the liberals?

I think it is possible either way here.  I would specifically worry in the next few days about someone from the left trying to hurt/kill any of the "deciding votes", or BK.  

Probably the single thing that could take this from 11 to threat level midnight.

Any mild concern I have as a Conservative supporter that Republicans interest in the mid-terms will hopefully go away with all of the protests from the Left in coming days and weeks.

The smart play for libs would be to take this like adults and get mad and go vote. Luckily, they won’t.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

I think it is possible either way here.  I would specifically worry in the next few days about someone from the left trying to hurt/kill any of the "deciding votes", or BK.  

Probably the single thing that could take this from 11 to threat level midnight.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any mild concern I have as a Conservative supporter that Republicans interest in the mid-terms will hopefully go away with all of the protests from the Left in coming days and weeks.

The smart play for libs would be to take this like adults and get mad and go vote. Luckily, they won’t.  

Sure they will. This election is a referendum on Donald Trump. Democrats cannot wait to vote. 

4 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Not me.

It’s a process as old as time.

There is a cake being bake in our society and this shit just turns up the temperature. Eventually it goes bad. 

I pray for an alien invasion because that’s about the only thing we could come together and confront at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, I like all the people celebrating this "win." can't wait for a ruling to come down that affects their life or someone's they love. Maybe they'll get it then. Probably not.

love to destroy all the social welfare programs my family and I depend on and increase the police power of a unitary executive to own the libs

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Look, I get what you're saying but I disagree. The history of American politics is filled with backbiting, smearing, ratfucking, and actual lethal violence. 

No, you are trying to work your way around a dumb statement. The second half 20th century's defining political characteristic was extraordinary compromise and consensus seeking. This is our lifetime, which is exactly what was said.

We had an actual fucking civil war, obviously there's been some zero sum politics. But no one is talking about that so it's just a strawman. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

No, you are trying to work your way around a dumb statement. The second half 20th century's defining political characteristic was extraordinary compromise and consensus seeking. This is our lifetime, which is exactly what was said.

We had an actual fucking civil war, obviously there's been some zero sum politics. But no one is talking about that so it's just a strawman. 

Don't define my argument. I'll do that.

19 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Trump

Trumpkins 

GOP senators

Incels

Russia

Those opposed:

Kavanaugh's law school

2,500+ law professors

You need to stay out of whatever echo chamber you have been if you wrote that post with a straight face. 

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yep up until the Clinton election across the aisle compromise was an actual thing.

watched the election of 1976 on PBS last week. Civil discourse, little name calling, no we hate democrats we hate republicans  shit.  Even post Nixon it was still a more statesman like atmosphere.

The fringes have pulled people back from the middle on compromise.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fine.  Let's play.

Rush and the boys have been singing this song since the Clinton years. The libtards fucked you over for 20 years. Now it's time for the Rs to give the Ds payback with interest.

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It's pretty amazing to think that the Rs had one of the most explosive issues facing them (MeToo) and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said, "We hear you, but we don't believe you." Now, on to the vote to confirm!

Edited by retread

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep up until the Clinton election across not the aisle compromise was an actual thing.

wayched the election of 1976 on PBS last week. Civil discourse, little name calling, no we hate democrats we hate republicans  shit.  Even post Nixon it was still a more statesman like atmosphere.

I guess you missed what happened a couple years before the 1976 election. 

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

If you see your sisters, girlfriends, mother, female friends having a hard time, this is why. Someone has the courage to speak up and it does.not.matter. Nothing short of video evidence will ever be enough proof when a woman speaks up. And even then, she can be blamed for being there in the first place. It's all very disheartening. 

But Congratulations Republicans, you won. You got your man on the Supreme Court. You got your man in the White House. You must be so proud. You won.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I guess you missed what happened a couple years before the 1976 election. 

Even that became bipartisan. Nixon resigned because he was caught red handed and the GOP leadership would. Or support him and told him he would be convicted in the senate. 

The dems didn’t have a Howard Baker type in the senate when Clinton was caught red handed lying under oath.  They knew he was guilty and didn’t care. 

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1