Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Stros said:

I want them to get to the bottom of it.
My problem is that everyone that is anti-trump believes everything that has come out of someone’s mouth without vetting who they are, and what actually happened.

She's the one asking for an FBI investigation of her allegations. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes, if I’m him and I categorically deny this accusation I’d for sure go looking to make the life of my accuser easier. I would sure want to give credence to an accusation that I think is either mistaken or made up. I give him lots of credit for biting his tongue and not lashing out at her. What a dirtbag claim that Kavanaugh is somehow responsible for or directing the nutjobs issuing death threats. He should allow aspersions to be cast against him to stick. He is such a bastard for not doing so,

Seriously, what does he have to lose being a gentleman and taking the high road here?  

Just now, Stros said:

Maybe her and her lawyer know the fbi doesn’t investigate these matters. She should ask the AG of Maryland.

That is false. The FBI does as part of the background check of a nominee.   They did so with respect to Anita Hill's allegations against Clarence Thomas.   It took three days. 

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Seriously, what does he have to lose being a gentleman and taking the high road here?  

He's a Republican in 2018. To the extent he can even comprehend the idea of a high road, he has nothing but contempt for anyone who would ever want to take it.

• Like 1

What is her endgame? Let’s put ourselves in her shoes. Did she offer up this story out of a concern that he was a sexual predator as a teen and might still be as a 53 year old man? Was she looking for an acknowledgment and apology from Kavanaugh for her emotional and mental health? Was she looking for a way to do it publically in the wake of #me too. Let’s say he gave a mea culpa and admitted it and that’s the only incidence of this type of behavior. Would that be satisfactory to clear this and for him to be confirmed? I think we all know the answer. So my liberal friends you don’t think there is any possibility that she was politically motivated to pursue this? 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What is her endgame? Let’s put ourselves in her shoes. Did she offer up this story out of a concern that he was a sexual predator as a teen and might still be as a 53 year old man? Was she looking for an acknowledgment and apology from Kavanaugh for her emotional and mental health? Was she looking for a way to do it publically in the wake of #me too. Let’s say he gave a mea culpa and admitted it and that’s the only incidence of this type of behavior. Would that be satisfactory to clear this and for him to be confirmed? I think we all know the answer. So my liberal friends you don’t think there is any possibility that she was politically motivated to pursue this? 

Perhaps she knows he's a shitheel and thinks he's unqualified for the job?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The smart political move would be to cut him loose, make him a martyr, and campaign on it for the midterms.

I can't understand why they're lining up behind this guy.

Because that wouldn't fit the Trump GOP image of putting all the women in their place.  They want the image of appointing a drunken white privileged frat boy to the Court.  

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

you sure are giving him a lot of leeway while going to great lengths to try and assassinate her character.

funny, that.

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

These are all very important questions.  Your concern is duly noted.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Sure there has.  It's just hard to see it because it's so rarely traveled.

You’re looking for thr statesman. You know a politician who has been dead for 10+ years gets that tag. Politics is nasty and except for maybe a few decades after WWII when we were under the threat of the Cold War has always been highly polarized 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

So my liberal friends you don’t think there is any possibility that she was politically motivated to pursue this? 

Not really.   There is nobody on Trump's list of alternatives that is substantially different from a political perspective.   If it's not Kavanaugh, it will be some other hardcore right-winger instead.   In any event, if she's telling the truth, I don't really care if she has a political motivation.   The only issue is his fitness for the Court. 

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

A mea culpa?  For trying to rape her when she was 15-years-old.  Oh, gee, I'm sorry I tried to rape you when you were a high school freshman.  All good, right.  

You give Kavanaugh, who has shown himself to be a repeated liar, every benefit of the doubt.  Meanwhile, his alleged victim, who has had to go into hiding because of death threats, is apparently a politically motivated, Soros funded liar.  

Sure, there's a possibility that she was politically motivated to pursue this.  It's also possible that the tax cuts will pay for themselves, that the Russia investigation is a witch hunt hoax, climate change scientists are all wrong, and Mexico will pay for the wall.  Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's likely or that rational people deny all evidence just because an alternative theory is possible.

Edited by lemonlime

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No serious question, what was her endgame in your opinion? Genuine concern he was a sexual predator?

partly that, partly to finally come clean about how this man impacted her life, and yeah, she probably, based on her experience, views him as wholly unfit for the position. and yeah, she may be concerned that her #metoo moment may (MAY) cause other brave women to come forward if they exist (she has no way of knowing, sexual victims don't exactly have a special club where they compare notes, which is how predators like weinstein get away with it for so long), and help establish a pattern of behavior that she suspects could be there based on her experience with being objectified by the guy. 

but of course, her motives cannot be personally pure based on a lifetime of shame and self-hate and fear of sexual touch because she was victimized, right? it's GOT TO BE POLITCALLY MOTIVATED! 

she's a crisis actor. got it.

what's absolutely clear is that you are devoid of any sense of victim empathy. you are a sociopath.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Her endgame is to keep him from taking a seat on the Supreme Court.

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

But this IS NOT politics...supposedly.  This is SCOTUS.  Nominees to this position should be above politics, since part of what the will rule on will be laws enacted by politicians.

I don't think you understand how this works.  SCOTUS has always been a political appointment with political appointees.  It's only the last 40-50 years that we started demanding that they had to go to Yale or Harvard, and have a lifetime of service as an appellate judge.  And that wasn't because anyone actually cared about those things, but simply to inoculate the appointee against the other side's claim of "unqualified," which was made regardless of actual qualifications but because they didn't like their....political leanings.

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

partly that, partly to finally come clean about how this man impacted her life, and yeah, she probably, based on her experience, views him as wholly unfit for the position. and yeah, she may be concerned that her #metoo moment may (MAY) cause other brave women to come forward if they exist (she has no way of knowing, sexual victims don't exactly have a special club where they compare notes, which is how predators like weinstein get away with it for so long), and help establish a pattern of behavior that she suspects could be there based on her experience with being objectified by the guy. 

but of course, her motives cannot be personally pure based on a lifetime of shame and self-hate and fear of sexual touch because she was victimized, right? it's GOT TO BE POLITCALLY MOTIVATED! 

she's a crisis actor. got it.

what's absolutely clear is that you are devoid of any sense of victim empathy. you are a sociopath.

I might have some empathy if I get to hear her testimony. She needs to testify on Monday.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

I might have some empathy if I get to hear her testimony. She needs to testify on Monday.

empathy doesn't have to be conditional. i actually believe that something happened to her. do you? she's basically thrown her entire life into upheaval, and you would have us believe that it's because she's a political operative. i happen to think she's a victim, who actually brought it up in marriage counseling, because her marriage was probably still affected by the impact of this particular action. this isn't getting her ass grabbed at a party. this was being alone in a room with two boys, with one trying to undress her while covering her mouth and the other at he least, merely standing by. that's traumatic. 

but your empathy to that story is completely conditional to her testifying on monday. 

1 minute ago, Stros said:

They never have an endgame. She will move on to the next agenda. Have you ever seen a happy and satisfied liberal activist?

You sure seem to have strong opinions about a surfing psychology prof at a small school in California.  Maybe you're just a knee-jerk alt-right jackass who centipedes shit from Rush and Sean and spews it on to your not-so-connected Nazi buddies?

Everyone knows Anita Hill was a political operative who was only in it for herself.  That’s why she went on to be a leading women’s rights activist, radio host, and left wing TV pundit. She’s also written dozens of self serving books on sexual harassment since her time in the spotlight.

(none of the above is true) 

You sure seem to have strong opinions about a surfing psychology prof at a small school in California.  Maybe you're just a knee-jerk alt-right jackass who centipedes shit from Rush and Sean and spews it on to your not-so-connected Nazi buddies?

Struck a nerve? Do you need sometime in your safe space? Turn on Rachel, she will cry with you.
  • Fuck You 2