Shit's Borked

RPM

I've tried the following:

-Pic was 1000 x 1000 at 300 kb.  Wouldn't upload.  Resized it to 300 x 300 @ 80 or so kb.  Still no go.  Tried a different image.  Then another.

-Tried it on a Mac, using Safari or Chrome.  

-Tried it on a PC, using Chrome or Edge

-Tried it at work, thinking my home wifi was the issue

-Tried it on tapatalk using iPad Pro with cellular connection

No matter what I do, I cannot upload any avatar.  It gives me a upload failed message.

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, can we get our PM capabilities restored?  Tapatalk isn't the best for dealing with that.  :D

15 hours ago, blacklab said:

should be fixed, let me know if you see any other issues.

Not fixed.

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX3

7 hours ago, spystud13 said:

The fact that something happens basically every other day is truly amazing. 

We never appreciated how good it was before. I just don’t understand how only this message board continually fails. 

Shaggy was on a 10 year old version of vbulletin that was never updated or touched and had huge security concerns and vulnerabilities. My latest rule of thumb has only been to patch if there is security related fixes - I'm pretty unhappy with the level of support we have been getting from the software vendor and the fact that they keep breaking shit and bundling security updates with a billion other "features". 

This board would have been down regardless of the software last night the entire AUS01 section of ZAYO was down - it was a major network incident causing widespread outages to all datacenters in Austin and had nothing to do with the site or management of the site. It would be like an entire az going down in AWS or GCP or Azure, which I can assure you happens more frequently than the one network outage we've had in the over 8 years we've been at the colo.

Shag never fucked us like this, ever" - literally the same fucking people running this site - it's a different piece of software and it's updated much more frequently than the old site which was basically asking to get AIDS if you visited.

I seriously doubt you go to another board with "WAY" more traffic that has never once failed if you are so concerned then make an intro to their forum admin and I'm happy to talk to them - the reality is the site isn't as broken as you think it is just because there is some stuff that isn't perfect in your mind doesn't mean it's "broken" or "down" or that you are "getting fucked" as a collective. I work with LOTS of companies and this site has significantly more uptime than all of them even with the gremlins that are coming from the updates.

Meanwhile enjoy your fixed buttons in 'Mini mode' on the site since you asked what was fixed lately.

http://status.surlyhorns.com/

The only downtime we have had in the last week was a significant network outage that was unpreventable and while we have a DR clone/replica on a cloud vendor it was about weighing the option of a DNS failover vs the site coming back up in a short order - in hindsight we chose poorly and took 2:45 in downtime because we thought "for sure they will have a quick failover on their end for a major network event" Typically network outages are either much longer than this one (cable is literally severed and takes days to repair) or shorter (a piece of equipment needs to be swapped out)

Imma swears that is the best way to navigate this broken site, but as soon as you click on anything else, it fucks shit up. You shouldn’t have to select your shit over & over again, but par for the course. 

Edited by spystud13

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Okay, so use the features of the software to create the view you want. Activity->My Activity Streams -> Create New Stream. Content Types -> Topics -> Gear Icon -> Select all the boards you want.

I get it, but as soon as you click a board out of that, it defaults to only one board. 

6 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

You did not do the “fluid mode” that imma suggested. We’re beating our heads against the wall about two separate things. 

My surly homepage is shit I’ve posted in, the fluid mode is secondary. It doesn’t work, & hasn’t ever. 

Oh, my bad. I thought you just wanted the functionality but you really just want to bitch. Ok, cool. Hook 'em.

And FWIW, I cannot recreate your issue. When I go to fluid mode and select the boards I want. I get those same boards selected when I go back.

Edited by Llogg

I hadn't used fluid mode much, but now I use it as my main page. I have noticed what spy's talking about -- if you click on a forum, it will only show that forum when clicking on fluid mode.

I do like how it continues to show threads that I've clicked on. 

• Like 1

I did just recreate the issue. The problem is not with the site but with understanding the features. When you select various boards to display in fluid mode those are not stored in any sort of permanent way. If you click through to topics and then go back to the home page then you will have the same boards selected. However if you navigate to a single board, the software is correctly interpreting that you now want to only view a single board and your previous selections are cleared. If you want them to be permanent, use the Activity Streams as I suggested earlier.