2018 Houston Texans Season Thread

tx 3 putt

I don't know that Dez is the answer. What we need is a serious burner they can take the top off a defense. Anybody know if a "Ted Ginn but with better hands" type might be available?

I wonder if I'd rather trade for Jordy Nelson over Dez, at least Jordy's been practicing and playing...

not necessarily a burner, but what about sterling shepard?  they're definitely calling it a season over there, but his contract is very team friendly, unfortunately.

i'm not a martavis bryant fan, although i'm sure he could be had for next to nothing.

dez is definitely not the answer.

maybe marquise goodwin wants to come back to his home state...

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not necessarily a burner, but what about sterling shepard?  they're definitely calling it a season over there, but his contract is very team friendly, unfortunately.

i'm not a martavis bryant fan, although i'm sure he could be had for next to nothing.

dez is definitely not the answer.

maybe marquise goodwin wants to come back to his home state...

I'm not either, but we seem to have a strong connection to Clemson players. Not sure how it evolves post-Rick Smith, but this would seem to be the type of environment that could maximize Bryant in a way others might not be able.

We need a burner.  The offense is night and day when we have Fuller in the lineup, and that is his skill set.

Goodwin would be excellent but I don't know if that is even an option.

Martavis Bryant is who immediately came to mind for me as well.  He would probably thrive in our offense, with Hopkins taking the double, and Watson propensity for back yard ball, in a similar vein as to how Ben Roethlisberger used to operate. 

I don't understand why y'all think they have to go get someone else and trade away picks when they have a guy on the roster who was drafted to help take the top off the defense from the slot position. Coutee doesn't have the same elite speed as Fuller but he's pretty damn fast (4.43 40) and he has a quick first step. He hasn't had a ton of opportunities to showcase what he can do but when Fuller exited week 4 vs Indy due to injury,  Coutee stepped up and played very well. 11 rec 110 yds or so.  The main concern with him is durability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fico said:

We need a burner.  The offense is night and day when we have Fuller in the lineup, and that is his skill set.

Goodwin would be excellent but I don't know if that is even an option.

Martavis Bryant is who immediately came to mind for me as well.  He would probably thrive in our offense, with Hopkins taking the double, and Watson propensity for back yard ball, in a similar vein as to how Ben Roethlisberger used to operate. 

It sounds like everyone in here is conflating Fuller being a burner with Fuller being a straight up really good receiver regardless of his speed. I also think a lot of you are taking one play from last night's game and using that as a litmus test for what we need. 

Deshaun is good enough to highlight any wide-out's skill-set. Give him route runners that have hands and can stay healthy and he will find a way to throw for 300 every game. He threw 2 touchdowns to a 2nd string rookie tight end last night. 

26 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I don't understand why y'all think they have to go get someone else and trade away picks when they have a guy on the roster who was drafted to help take the top off the defense from the slot position. Coutee doesn't have the same elite speed as Fuller but he's pretty damn fast (4.43 40) and he has a quick first step. He hasn't had a ton of opportunities to showcase what he can do but when Fuller exited week 4 vs Indy due to injury,  Coutee stepped up and played very well. 11 rec 110 yds or so.  The main concern with him is durability. 

Because the offense works best with Hopkins at X, Koutee in the slot, and a burner at the Z. If you moved Coutee to the Z, which he would be fine there, then you are really robbing peter to pay paul, as there isn't another slot like Coutee on the roster.

The Texans should be all in on this season, because there is no guarantee Clowney is coming back. Trade the extra 2nd for a CB, and trade a late rounder for a WR with top end speed.

• Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You literally answered your own question.

27 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I don't think the degree of concern is enough reason to make a trade since Coutee is actually less of an injury risk than Fuller.  Trading to improve depth at the position, sure. 

I don't think M. Bryant would cost more than a 7th at this point. The Raiders traded a 3rd for him during the draft, but they later waived him and re-signed him. If he passed through waivers, I can't imagine it'd cost much to acquire him now that they're in full on tank mode.

41 minutes ago, Southernthunder said:

I guess we are getting Demaryius Thomas for a mid round pick. 610 said he heard it’s a fourth rounder. I like it. 

Very happy that trade. Good value and we can get out of his contract next season. 610 says another deal is in the works but didn’t mention who or what’s position group. Gaine has been a pretty damn good GM so far 

If they get Dorsett on top of Thomas, it probably means Coutee's injury is much worse than they hoped. Dorsett would replace the big play potential that Fuller had. Thomas and Hopkins are a good starting tandem. Thomas is a FA after the season, so no long term money on the deal. They still need a OT and CB.

If they get Dorsett on top of Thomas, it probably means Coutee's injury is much worse than they hoped. Dorsett would replace the big play potential that Fuller had. Thomas and Hopkins are a good starting tandem. Thomas is a FA after the season, so no long term money on the deal. They still need a OT and CB.

Trade deadline passed at 3pm so no Dorsett. Also, Thomas is not a FA after this season. He’s due 14 million in 2019.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Trade deadline passed at 3pm so no Dorsett. Also, Thomas is not a FA after this season. He’s due 14 million in 2019.

I misread the ESPN article. I thought it said his 2018 salary, not 2019. Though they can cut him for nothing.

Edited by HtownHorn