Cord Cutters Thread

19 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Thanks, this is very helpful.  So it sounds like I might need both Directv Now and Youtube TV (plus keeping my existing Netflix and Amazon services).  I don't believe I would need any additional hardware.

One or the other.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Thanks, this is very helpful.  So it sounds like I might need both Directv Now and Youtube TV (plus keeping my existing Netflix and Amazon services).  I don't believe I would need any additional hardware.

wait, why do you need both?

YTTV gives you all locals (assuming it is available in your area, which it sounds like it is)

it has unlimited DVR, you can record a ton of things at once and access anywhere/everywhere. You get 5 "accounts" (each with their own DVR but you have to be logged in) or you can just use 1 account. 

at this point it would cost you:

YTTV = 40 + Showtime = 7 + Starz = 5 =$52 / month

HBO now = $15 (up to $67 / month total)

if you need to access A&E, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BET, CMT, Comedy Central, Discovery, DIY network, Food Network, FYI, GSN, Hallmark Channels, HGTV, History, ID, Lifetime channels, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon channels, OWN, Paramount, Science, TLC, TV Land, Motor Trend, VH1, Viceland you will need to add Philo ($16 / month)

bringing you up to $83 / month total

Watch TCM requires you to have a TV subscription so you can't get that super easily

so in total you are looking at something like 

$83 / month ongoing for channels above

$250 one time ($50 per Roku x 5 TVs)

-------------------

not sure if this helps overall - this would require your family to use 3 different apps:

• YouTubeTV app (YTTV, Showtime, Starz)
  • HBO Now
  • Philo

channel comparisons here: https://www.mikesblog.xyz/streaming-tv-channel-comparisons/

also important but i looks like you can only watch YTTV in 3 locations at once - that chart has what are allowed/included. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

wait, why do you need both?

YTTV gives you all locals (assuming it is available in your area, which it sounds like it is)

it has unlimited DVR, you can record a ton of things at once and access anywhere/everywhere. You get 5 "accounts" (each with their own DVR but you have to be logged in) or you can just use 1 account. 

at this point it would cost you:

YTTV = 40 + Showtime = 7 + Starz = 5 =$52 / month

HBO now = $15 (up to $67 / month total)

if you need to access A&E, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BET, CMT, Comedy Central, Discovery, DIY network, Food Network, FYI, GSN, Hallmark Channels, HGTV, History, ID, Lifetime channels, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon channels, OWN, Paramount, Science, TLC, TV Land, Motor Trend, VH1, Viceland you will need to add Philo ($16 / month)

bringing you up to $83 / month total

Watch TCM requires you to have a TV subscription so you can't get that super easily

so in total you are looking at something like 

$83 / month ongoing for channels above

$250 one time ($50 per Roku x 5 TVs)

-------------------

not sure if this helps overall - this would require your family to use 3 different apps:

• YouTubeTV app (YTTV, Showtime, Starz)
  • HBO Now
  • Philo

channel comparisons here: https://www.mikesblog.xyz/streaming-tv-channel-comparisons/

also important but i looks like you can only watch YTTV in 3 locations at once - that chart has what are allowed/included. 

Thanks.  I just checked the pricing on Directv Now and it would be $75 (for the stations I want) plus $26 per month for the premium HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Movie Channel stations.  That's everything I need and I don't think I need any hardware (all TVs are smart TVs and connected to the internet)--or do I?  Is it that Directv Now doesn't have as good (or any?) DVR feature?  Is there an issue with having 5 TVs connected?  FWIW, at most, I would expect only three TVs to be on at the same time.  My wife and I are empty nesters and the kids don't often watch something different when they come over.

edit:  Only one of my Samsung smart TVs is probably ready for Directv Now per their website.  So I would still need some Roku devices.  Still, what am I missing here?  I'm now paying around $300 per month for satellite Direct TV and I could buy the Rokus for $200 (one time) and then save about $200 per month?  I feel like an idiot.

Edited by HouTex
add more information

21 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Thanks.  I just checked the pricing on Directv Now and it would be $75 (for the stations I want) plus $26 per month for the premium HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Movie Channel stations.  That's everything I need and I don't think I need any hardware (all TVs are smart TVs and connected to the internet)--or do I?  Is it that Directv Now doesn't have as good (or any?) DVR feature?  Is there an issue with having 5 TVs connected?  FWIW, at most, I would expect only three TVs to be on at the same time.  My wife and I are empty nesters and the kids don't often watch something different when they come over.

edit:  Only one of my Samsung smart TVs is probably ready for Directv Now per their website.  So I would still need some Roku devices.  Still, what am I missing here?  I'm now paying around $300 per month for satellite Direct TV and I could buy the Rokus for $200 (one time) and then save about $200 per month?  I feel like an idiot.

I think DirecTV basic is 3 streams, 5 bucks gets you 5.

PSVue had unlimited streams I believe.

Not sure on YoutubeTV.

The DVR features on DirecTV are not as friendly as some others, I mainly use it because I can get my locals in SW Colorado without issue.

You need to look into it. I kept my DISH going while I did the first month in case I hated it. You also have no contract to continue with any of the streaming services and they generally give you a deal in the first month(s).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I think DirecTV basic is 3 streams, 5 bucks gets you 5.

PSVue had unlimited streams I believe.

Not sure on YoutubeTV.

The DVR features on DirecTV are not as friendly as some others, I mainly use it because I can get my locals in SW Colorado without issue.

You need to look into it. I kept my DISH going while I did the first month in case I hated it. You also have no contract to continue with any of the streaming services and they generally give you a deal in the first month(s).

YoutubeTV is 6 streams. But you have to be careful with that, as those 6 streams would need to be in the same location (same zip). I know a single user can only be in one location at a time. But I also know that you can have add more users (e.g., my wife and I both have our google accounts connected to YoutubeTV, so she is a family user) for free. So my wife may be able to watch from one location (zip code) while I watch from another, but I am not entirely sure about that one. It hasn't been an issue while I was traveling and I assume at one point we had to both be watching at the same time. 

YoutubeTV is 6 streams. But you have to be careful with that, as those 6 streams would need to be in the same location (same zip). I know a single user can only be in one location at a time. But I also know that you can have add more users (e.g., my wife and I both have our google accounts connected to YoutubeTV, so she is a family user) for free. So my wife may be able to watch from one location (zip code) while I watch from another, but I am not entirely sure about that one. It hasn't been an issue while I was traveling and I assume at one point we had to both be watching at the same time. 
I think it's 6 unique accounts but only 3 devices can be streaming at the same time on YTTV.

Just as a test, I added my mom in Houston as one of the unique accounts, and it let her stream from Houston while I was streaming from Virginia. I'm sure at some point a lock that down, or maybe there's some triggers we haven't hit yet, but to start we were able to stream in two different locations.

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

I think it's 6 unique accounts but only 3 devices can be streaming at the same time on YTTV.

Just as a test, I added my mom in Houston as one of the unique accounts, and it let her stream from Houston while I was streaming from Virginia. I'm sure at some point a lock that down, or maybe there's some triggers we haven't hit yet, but to start we were able to stream in two different locations.

You are right. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I found with Chromecast I can only cast from my iPhone if there is a chromecast button inside the app I’m trying to cast. Is that right? If there isn’t a button, you can’t cast?

Correct. Certain apps won't allow you to cast from them directly. However if you get on Chrome on a Browser, you can cast whatever is in that window.

Had my mom check. She she's my local stations. So depending on how long it works before Google shuts it down, you can sign up for YTTV in Austin, and then ad you family or friends elsewhere to see local stations.

$300 for television is insane.
The nice thing with most of these streaming options is you can find a show you want to watch and binge it. Head to the network and see what they offer.
Also, I thought I would miss the DVR as the one on DirecTV Now is limited, but I honestly only record Longhorn games and Chelsea games. Past that we have Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime and HBO through DirecTV.  I used to have an arsenal of DVR'd shows, but often I can find what I want without the DVR.

Would you say you had an arsenal of Chelsea...?

I'm just starting to look into this.   It seems like YTTV might be the best option except it doesn't have Longhorn Network which could be an issue for the 1 or 2 football games per year and a handful of basketball/baseball games.    Does that sound right?   What is the best option of you want LHN?

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm just starting to look into this.   It seems like YTTV might be the best option except it doesn't have Longhorn Network which could be an issue for the 1 or 2 football games per year and a handful of basketball/baseball games.    Does that sound right?   What is the best option of you want LHN?

Pick one and learn how to use reddit.com/r/cfbstreams or steal a friends login to their LHN.

40 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree except that we also need the foodtv and cooking networks.  Don't care too much about LHN--it's only a couple of games a year and I can find a place to watch those games. After just one night of the free trial of the YTTV and Directv Now services, the YTTV format and its DVR blow Directv Now away.  The guide makes way more sense in YTTV and the DVR is far superior than Directv Now (unlimited vs. 20 hours and 30 days on the Directv Now).  I just saw kevwun's reply and I will look into Vue.

It turns out that even though the online statements from Samsung say that my 2014 "smart" Samsungs are supposed to be updated with firmware/software to support YTTV, they are not updated and I confirmed I have the latest firmware/software.  So only my late 2017 Samsung smart TV works without a Roku or other device.  It still is a great savings vs. what I'm currently paying to Directv.

Edit:  So Noname's post from yesterday is a good summary.  YTTV, Philo and HBO Go pretty much get me what I want except for LHN and I can live with that.  At $83 per month and the one time cost of 4 Rokus or other devices that's not bad.

Edited by HouTex

Even if the tv interface has the apps you want, it will still probably be very slow.  I have yet to see a smart tv interface that works as well as Dish or Roku.

Maybe so. I'm getting a Roku tonight for one of my other TV'S and I will compare them. But last night both YTTV and Directv Now worked well from the Samsung apps. Though it is somewhat of a pain to use the Samsung remote. That will take some getting used to.
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, HouTex said:

I believe this is right if you are ok with using apps instead of just the normal DTV system...it's kind of amazing 

• Like 1

We are ready to cut the cord. We currently have DirectTV and DirectTV Now seems like a really good option for us but ATT Sportsnet is not streamed anywhere and I really want to be able to watch Astros and Rockets games. There seem to be a lot of blackout rules for MLB games. Any ideas when streaming will occur? TIA

2 hours ago, NoName said:

I believe this is right if you are ok with using apps instead of just the normal DTV system...it's kind of amazing 

Day two of the free trials of YTTV and Philo and so far so good.  Switching between apps will take a little getting used to, but for the most part we'll be on YTTV.  Last night I installed a wireless Roku on one of my TVs to make sure it would work and so far there are no issues.  My only remaining question is whether I should hard wire my Rokus.  Three of my TVs have ethernet jacks right behind the TVs and my question is whether it's worth it to get the Roku Ultra at $99 that has a built-in ethernet port, or just get an inexpensive Roku and a $15 adapter from Amazon.  Only one of my TVs is 4k (and the Sumsung app for that TV allows direct connection with YTTV and Philo so I don't need a Roku for that TV) so I don't really need the Roku Ultra except for the convenience of the built-in ethernet port.   

• Like 1

For the Astros in Texas, you can use reddit streams and cast to your tv or pay for mlb.tv and use a vpn or service like unlocator to hide your location.  Unlocator is super easy to set up and is cheap.  You also get a 7 day trial to make sure it will work for you. 

Definitely wire in the Roku's if it's easy.  The ultra's have better specs and an ethernet connection will stream the best.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, msbesq said:

We are ready to cut the cord. We currently have DirectTV and DirectTV Now seems like a really good option for us but ATT Sportsnet is not streamed anywhere and I really want to be able to watch Astros and Rockets games. There seem to be a lot of blackout rules for MLB games. Any ideas when streaming will occur? TIA

There isn't a good solution other than using someone else's Uverse password.  Sure, you can watch on Reddit but its not as simple.

MLB.TV works well.  It's a little expensive, but the app is nice and the stream looks good.  I waited until the ASB last year and got a really good deal on the rest of the season.  I think it was only like $30 or $40.  If you use it with Roku, there is a an extra change you have to make in your router to fool it because the google DNS servers are now hard coded in to it.  You have to set a forwarder for traffic heading to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to go back to your router.  There are step by step instructions on how to do it for most router brands on unlocator's website.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Day two of the free trials of YTTV and Philo and so far so good.  Switching between apps will take a little getting used to, but for the most part we'll be on YTTV.  Last night I installed a wireless Roku on one of my TVs to make sure it would work and so far there are no issues.  My only remaining question is whether I should hard wire my Rokus.  Three of my TVs have ethernet jacks right behind the TVs and my question is whether it's worth it to get the Roku Ultra at $99 that has a built-in ethernet port, or just get an inexpensive Roku and a $15 adapter from Amazon.  Only one of my TVs is 4k (and the Sumsung app for that TV allows direct connection with YTTV and Philo so I don't need a Roku for that TV) so I don't really need the Roku Ultra except for the convenience of the built-in ethernet port.   

i mean you don't HAVE to buy it especially at 2x the cost.

maybe do it for the TV that is 4k if it is one of the main ones you will be using or if you have less than ideal wifi where it is located? or set up a slickdeals alert for "Roku Ultra" and pick one up if they go on sale? for what it's worth my vizio plays Prime Video/Netflix in 4K on the built in app.

re: switching between apps:

if you do it on Roku im guessing it will be faster than the built in apps...

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, bschoolprof said:

We cut the cord 2 years ago and haven't missed cable a bit. We use vue and it's pretty good.
Dropping all the time warner shit on their desk when I cut the cord was incredibly satisfying. I felt like I was in the movies throwing a cheating spouse's shit out the window.

Did that 11 years ago to TWC and LOVED every minute of it.

I still use TWC/Spectrum internet service since they are the best in my area but once Grande gets here, I will drop Spectrum in a heartbeat 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, kevwun said:

Vue seems to have the biggest channel selection and also has the LHN.  If I was going to pick one, it would be them.

I've had PS Vue going on almost 2 years and zero regrats.  In DFW, it has all the locals and everything I'd think anyone could ever want.  If there's a better solution out there, I'd love to hear what it is and why?

But regardless of the service, I can't imagine ever going back to cable or satellite.  My parents have even cut the cord (with very little IT phone support from me) and they're in their 70's.  If they can do it, anyone can do it.

On 6/4/2018 at 11:56 AM, RD3 said:

1st week in with Directv Now and I'm really happy.  I'm also happy with the Roku Ultra. I actually like it more than my Fire Stick.  Still don't know why Amazon hasn't added a volume button and tv power button...

My kids have yet to even turn on DTV Now. They use the apps like Cartoon Network (which I think needs my DTV Now at&t account to fully unlock).

I really like the ROKU3 remote with the headphone connection port - great for the bed room. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, RD3 said:

Speaking of cord cutters, what antenna do you guys recommend?

If you are close to the towers, then it really doesnt matter very much.  If  you are far away like I am, then two rules apply: the bigger the better and the higher the better.  I put a big antenna in my attic in a Killeen low spot and I get all the Austin channels to the south, all the Waco channels to the north, and sometimes the college station channels to the east (which I shouldnt be able to get with antenna pointing south.  All in all, I get about 50 channels or more just with an antenna in the attic. 

On 6/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I have a GE Optima I bought from target,60 mi range, indoor hooked up to the TV we use most, TiVo roamio for DVR live ota shows

I have a Tivo Roamio boxed up out in the garage doing nothing. Are you able to get the Roamio to pull in channels without a subscription?  Wasnt able to so when I went cold turkey, I boxed it up. 

On 6/30/2018 at 9:58 AM, RD3 said:

They just recently added DVR to Roku so maybe that is getting rolled out later.

You can attach a DVR to ROKU?  Is that new for a ROKU4?  

I've had ROKU1 since the beginning of ROKU and I use it in my office (still works great), ROKU2 in the living room and a ROKU3 in the bedroom.  It was understood a long time ago that the ROKU owners were not going to get back into the DVR business after previously owning ReplayTV (I dont think it is viable any longer).  

I havent tried it but the ROKU2 does have a yellow composite out video port on it; theoretically, it should be able to out composite video for recording.  

Over the weekend I installed two Roku Ultras with two of my TVs with ethernet connections.  IMO, the ultra is worth it for the RF remote, the earplugs, and the volume control.  They were $89 at Costco.  And I was having doubts about the ethernet adapters that I would need to use for the cheaper wireless-only Rokus.

The combination of YTTV, Philo, and HBO Go are working out very well.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:53 PM, kevwun said:

I've read that, but I was hoping to watch them on my tv without using a chromecast or hooking a laptop up to it.  Looks like MLB extra innings through Dish is my only option for that and it's $175.

$175 for one entertainment option hardly seems worth it. 

If you have no other options, you might IPTV services. I used Players Club IPTV and got all the sports channels I needed including LHN for $5 a month. Also, if you use a variable IP service (VPN) along with an IPTV service, it could easily show you being outside of Texas. I can pick which cities I want my VPN server to connect.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I played around with Kodi on an older Amazon Fire Stick this past weekend.  Fairly disappointed in the performance.   To watch a movie, it took me up to 5 minutes to find an source and start the movie.  And if the movie had annoying foreign subtitles, I had start over.     While I'm not expecting everything to work at the touch of a button, is this normal performance?

Kodi on FireStick will often be a little slow and sometimes buffer.  I use FireStick in my office, along with my ROKU1, where it doesnt matter very much. Kodi on FireBox, with better processing, is much, MUCH better.  

On 7/20/2018 at 1:42 PM, RD3 said:

We switched to AT&T for cell service from Sprint last year.  At the time saved $35 but we also got 2 iPhones 8 out of it (Sprint wasn't offering any deals).

We switched to Directv Now over Memorial Day weekend and saved $100 on that.  Comparing my bills from a year ago I'm saving $135 a month and we have 2 iPhone 8s out of the deal.

June 2018
- $170 AT&T (cell, 2 iPhones including 1 iPhone 8 with installments + 1 free iPhone 😎
- $74 AT&T (internet)
- $38 Directv Now with free HBO (tv)
TOTAL = $282

May 2018
- $195 AT&T (cell, 2 iPhones including 1 iPhone 8 with installments + 1 free iPhone 😎
- $186 AT&T (internet + tv)
TOTAL = $381

May 2017
- $200 Sprint (cell, 2 iPhones no free phones)
- $216 AT&T (internet + tv)
TOTAL = $416

I post this to show how cheap I am. LOL 

Spectrum ISP = $65/mth including taxes for 100mb

Boost cell phone - $30/mth w/unlimited text & 2gb data (I think; whatever it is, I've never come close to going over)

VPN = was $4/mth; paid $150 holiday special for lifetime service for 5 devices

CRTV = $5/mth ... love it. Watch it on ROKU as much as anything.

IPTV = ~ $5/mth (live cable channels such as FOX News and all the ESPN channels including LHN for baseball) I even run the IPTV on my Firebox - nice

With many  OTA channels (50+), ROKU,  Firebox (KODI), & IPTV, I have more entertainment options than I can possibly watch. The funny thing is, with all these options, I usually end up just watching a few old shows on the classic channels on OTA tv  haha

Edited by Soldierhorn

I was just reviewing the locals with both Youtube and PSVue (currently on DirecTV Now) and it appears Youtube has all my locals now, PSVue doesn't. But it doesn't appear you can add on HBO to Youtube? Is that accurate? Also, my wife loves the firestick, so Google might be out anyways.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, tokamak said:

I'm sure it's been asked, but does anyone have experience with OTA DVRs? I'd like something that can record off an antenna and then be played back on our Roku devices. Looks like there's one called Tablo. Any others?

I've had a Channel Master DVR+. It's been real good and its channel selection menu is comparable to Tivo.  I recommend to NOT buy the one with an internal 1TB drive. I bought the CM DVR+ with the smallest hard drive (thus, cheapest model) and plugged in an external HD to the CM DVR+

I forgot to add: If you decide to get a CM DVR+, be sure and get a package that included a wifi adapter if you dont already have one. I had a third party wifi adapter and it worked perfectly. The WIFI adapter allows for more menu information to automatically download and mesh with the generic OTA menu data

Edited by Soldierhorn