Cord Cutters Thread

20 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

or he could just make one for $10 to throw in the attic. Will work better than a $30 store bought antenna anyway.

True.  But when I said cheap, I was talking about an $8 settop thing that he could spend zero time plugging in just to find out what the floor on channels is before running wires to the attic or dealing with preamps, etc.

I just noticed Amazon has come out with an OTR DVR called the Fire TV Recast. The 2-tuner 500GB/75hr version retails for $229 and the 4-tuner 1TB/150hr version is $279. You use it in conjunction with a Fire TV or mobile app. They also have a bundle with the 2-tuner version, a new 4K FireTV Stick and a "35-mile" HD antenna for $249.

I know that there have been some similar items out there a while. For me, I very rarely want to DVR one of the OTA networks. However, this might be of use to some.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Recast-over-air-hours/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ods_gw_dg2_smp_fk_100318

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3MKT3G/ref=fk_dp_hqp

61fu-d71EoL._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Longhorn Fever
picture

Verizon 5G Home is now available in some areas for those in Houston looking for an internet only ISP. $50/month

Up to 1Gbs down and they guarantee 300Mbs down/120Mbs up. The have a special for 3 free months of service, free Chromecast 4k or Apple TV, and 3 free months of YouTube TV. I just got it installed yesterday without any issues. 

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Verizon 5G Home is now available in some areas for those in Houston looking for an internet only ISP. $50/month

Up to 1Gbs down and they guarantee 300Mbs down/120Mbs up. The have a special for 3 free months of service, free Chromecast 4k or Apple TV, and 3 free months of YouTube TV. I just got it installed yesterday without any issues. 

I was trying to figure out where it was available. My address shows no availability on their website.  Given that I live in the city core (heights), I'm assuming the area must be extremely small, like, maybe just River Oaks or something. I'm pretty happy with ATT gigabit, so I'm not sure I would change. But if I could get 80% of the service for nearly half the price, I'd definitely think about it. 

42 minutes ago, mycox said:

The Verizon site should update. What tool do you want me to use?

Oh, I meant on the quality of the service. I figure as the range expands and more people join, bandwidth could start to suffer. Speedtest.net is my usual for quick tests. 

Edited by Dahobbs

On 10/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Longhorn Fever said:

I just noticed Amazon has come out with an OTR DVR called the Fire TV Recast. The 2-tuner 500GB/75hr version retails for $229 and the 4-tuner 1TB/150hr version is $279. You use it in conjunction with a Fire TV or mobile app. They also have a bundle with the 2-tuner version, a new 4K FireTV Stick and a "35-mile" HD antenna for $249.

I know that there have been some similar items out there a while. For me, I very rarely want to DVR one of the OTA networks. However, this might be of use to some.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Recast-over-air-hours/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ods_gw_dg2_smp_fk_100318

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3MKT3G/ref=fk_dp_hqp

61fu-d71EoL._SL1000_.jpg

I'm surprised it took this long. If my TiVo ever dies on me (more like when, I guess), I'll look to this. 

Cancelled Dish TV today.  Wife is uneasy about it but it felt good to me.  Turns out I had been with Dish for 8 years. 150 a month approx over that time. $14,400 spent on TV.

With new rates if I stick for 8 years $5,280.

Going with Directv now, hate that you can't cast the DVR, but minor.  Also, turns out I can stream but not cast locals as per the current contracts. Which isn't a big deal as I have a device to Mirror my tab/phone to the TV.

PSA: Last year I discovered Tunity for hearing sports while at a bar that’s not playing the sound.  It worked fantastic but the sound could be off by up to 2 seconds. Not a big deal for live football. Tonight was the first time I’ve needed sound that wasn’t already on  at a bar and Tunity has updated so you can adjust the timing.  This ap is amazing for anyone who wants to hear the tv and doesn’t have the option to turn up the sound. 

Im in no way affiliated with Tunity; I just discovered it, spread the word on tos, and people likes it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ah fuck it, just diving in.  I guess if LHN is a sticking point, it's between ps vue and directv, but it seems like directv sucks ass and I hate AT&T.  Wish youtube tv had lhn, or I still drank so going to a bar once a year was more palatable, although I guess I could still do that or just stream illegally

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

ah fuck it, just diving in.  I guess if LHN is a sticking point, it's between ps vue and directv, but it seems like directv sucks ass and I hate AT&T.  Wish youtube tv had lhn, or I still drank so going to a bar once a year was more palatable, although I guess I could still do that or just stream illegally

I have been perfectly happy with Vue. The DVR feature works, and the stream has been rock solid.

I've had Vue for a couple weeks now,  no problems so far.   LHN was a big selling point for me.  Mainly for college baseball season. 

On another note,  does anyone else have problems receiving the local Austin FOX channel over the air? I live in Round Rock and have a 60 mile Mohu antenna (amplified) and it's the only local channel I don't get. Luckily I get it on Vue though. 

Kinda sucks that none of them but directv have Comedy Central.  Not that I watch that much Comedy Central, but still.  I may try Directv Now and see how that goes - if it works pretty well, it does seem like a pretty decent option for how I watch TV.  Will save a shit ton of money dropping fiber cable.

I've had them all except youtube tv and I found they are all pretty interchangeable with limited differentiators.  I currently have, and have had the longest, DTVnow but I currently have sling for P12 during CFF season.  

Vue had LHN everywhere and with DTVnow you only get it in Texas unless you use the ESPN app.  My only reason for keeping DTVnow over others is the free streaming on my At&t iPad.  Vue has a way better DVR option but that's not a big deal to me.    

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking weird.

So going back to boxes? Or are they testing their own app using their own OS as opposed to appletv rokus and other consoles.

I’ve never had a single issue with directvnow, I’m probably in the minority for that...but appletv 4th gen handles the app amazingly well.

We’ll see if they send me one of these boxes or not. Don’t need it, would still be nice to try.

c1b3ec2e201d0bb53ed5df0fcc79e3b8.png

35 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Fucking weird.

So going back to boxes? Or are they testing their own app using their own OS as opposed to appletv rokus and other consoles.

I’ve never had a single issue with directvnow, I’m probably in the minority for that...but appletv 4th gen handles the app amazingly well.

We’ll see if they send me one of these boxes or not. Don’t need it, would still be nice to try.

c1b3ec2e201d0bb53ed5df0fcc79e3b8.png

Yeah that is the box they are beta testing for about 6 more months, congrats! 

I've had Vue for a couple weeks now,  no problems so far.   LHN was a big selling point for me.  Mainly for college baseball season. 
On another note,  does anyone else have problems receiving the local Austin FOX channel over the air? I live in Round Rock and have a 60 mile Mohu antenna (amplified) and it's the only local channel I don't get. Luckily I get it on Vue though. 

I live in north Pflugerville and placed the antenna in my attic and directed toward Westlake. I had to use an app on my phone to dial in the direction.

4 hours ago, texas08 said:

59b951dc9e9c96f46b914851a057f932.jpg

Are they giving these boxes away, selling them, or leasing them for $12 per month?  If it's the latter or the one in the middle, it kind of gets away from the spirit of the other streaming services where you don't have to dump cash on every box for every TV. 

/asking for a friend