Cord Cutters Thread

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

As for the hard-drive, it is going to have to be hooked up to a computer somewhere in order to be networked. You can setup a plex server to distribute whatever you put on there. And you can install the Plex app on your Roku to access it. It isn't complicated, but it isn't quite as easy as you made it sound. 

crap.  so even though we hooked it up thru an xbox before, i would need to have a computer attached to it now?  can't i network it in by attaching it to my router/wifi network that is also connected to my laptop where i'm doing the downloading? 

i guess the real question is how it gets displayed thru my tv, not how it gets networked.  still annoying if i can't get that working.  wasn't sure if roku had that type of capability.

a roku can play files from a NAS, assuming it supports DLNA, and assuming the files are in specific containers (either mkv or mp4) and use specific compressions (h.264/5 for video and aac or ac3/dolby digital for audio.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=108522

plex (which the roku can run as a client) is more flexible but requires some actual horsepower in the server if it needs to transcode the files.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

a roku can play files from a NAS, assuming it supports DLNA, and assuming the files are in specific containers (either mkv or mp4) and use specific compressions (h.264/5 for video and aac or ac3/dolby digital for audio.

plex (which the roku can run as a client) is more flexible but requires some actual horsepower in the server if it needs to transcode the files.

most everything i dl is avi, mp4, or mkv.  mkv has trouble playing from a flash drive plugged into my tv usb, so i try to avoid them if possible.  i guess i can try plex or research alternatives that could access storage and play files.  i'm not as concerned with the audio quality.

this is happening next week, so i'll report back.  obviously the external drive networking is a totally separate issue/question, but i figured it was a convenient time to incorporate it into my setup.

35 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

most everything i dl is avi, mp4, or mkv.  mkv has trouble playing from a flash drive plugged into my tv usb, so i try to avoid them if possible.  i guess i can try plex or research alternatives that could access storage and play files.  i'm not as concerned with the audio quality.

this is happening next week, so i'll report back.  obviously the external drive networking is a totally separate issue/question, but i figured it was a convenient time to incorporate it into my setup.

I have Raspberry Pi connected to my TV with OSMC loaded (off shoot of Kodi) with a 4 TB external drive connect to the PI.  It plays everything I throw at it with ease.  I also have another external drive connected to my Router which is shared on the network.  The older TV's have a problem playing some media, but my newer ones have no issue.

A lot of anger over home phone lines. Here are reasons people may want them, a few of which apply to our house:

1. Cell phone number protection - don’t like giving that number out to certain companies and risking robo calls in the future when our private data is sold.

2. Poor cell phone coverage in the house.

3. Cordless phone access - we don’t have to carry our cell phone with us at every single moment in the house. We can use one of eight cordless phones with easy access.

4. Cell phone brain tumors - the energy of cordless is less damaging to the brain vs cellular signals.

5. Quality for business calls.

And good lord, I posted an option that has $0 reoccurring cost and a free phone number. Ingrates.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

I still think Plex is the way to go. It isn't clear to me that he already has a NAS system. For the price of procuring one, he could easily setup a true Plex server that will be way more functional on a Roku, and you can even install Plex on many NAS systems if he goes that route. Even a Raspberry Pi 3 has enough horse power for most tasks. Hell, he could probably just set it up on his existing desktop. 

38 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

An option for those in Houston looking to cut cable but still watch the Stros or Rockets. Expensive as fuck though, probably better off with cable. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Houstonians-watch-Rockets-Astros-fuboTV-no-cable-13598364.php?cmpid=hpctp

is it just me or is espn not on there?

in regards to getting astros, etc - i said previously that i stream free from reddit (same with texans and horns when i need to).  i'm sure the answer is obvious, but is there an easy way thru roku to access the web/reddit, or only apps?

typically i just connect my old laptop and stream, which isn't a huge hassle, but obviously would be great to get on chrome or whatever is possible.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in regards to getting astros, etc - i said previously that i stream free from reddit (same with texans and horns when i need to).  i'm sure the answer is obvious, but is there an easy way thru roku to access the web/reddit, or only apps?

typically i just connect my old laptop and stream, which isn't a huge hassle, but obviously would be great to get on chrome or whatever is possible.

I haven't tried to browse the web on my Roku, but there are apparently web browser apps. No idea how well they work. 

A lot of anger over home phone lines. Here are reasons people may want them, a few of which apply to our house:

1. Cell phone number protection - don’t like giving that number out to certain companies and risking robo calls in the future when our private data is sold.

2. Poor cell phone coverage in the house.

3. Cordless phone access - we don’t have to carry our cell phone with us at every single moment in the house. We can use one of eight cordless phones with easy access.

4. Cell phone brain tumors - the energy of cordless is less damaging to the brain vs cellular signals.

5. Quality for business calls.

And good lord, I posted an option that has $0 reoccurring cost and a free phone number. Ingrates.

Another reason: we leave our 12 and 9 year olds home for short stretches and they need a phone to call us if something comes up. Our kids don’t have cell phones but are perfectly fine home alone for a couple hours.

I still think Plex is the way to go. It isn't clear to me that he already has a NAS system. For the price of procuring one, he could easily setup a true Plex server that will be way more functional on a Roku, and you can even install Plex on many NAS systems if he goes that route. Even a Raspberry Pi 3 has enough horse power for most tasks. Hell, he could probably just set it up on his existing desktop. 

I love Plex, but I can’t seem to get it to stream 4K. I know it’s asking a lot, but I have a decent AC router and it should be direct playing, so I dunno what the deal is. The Xbox media player worked better but still wasn’t 100%.

31 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Another reason: we leave our 12 and 9 year olds home for short stretches and they need a phone to call us if something comes up. Our kids don’t have cell phones but are perfectly fine home alone for a couple hours.

we use a gizmo gadget for this functionality. basically it's a no-frills watch that allows them to text and call certain numbers. the watch is about $150 and the service is $5/mth.

Edited by The University

Last month, my local channels did that FCC update shit and for a couple of them, I cannot get a signal anymore. If I do get it to come in, it cuts out 90% of the time. I've had this antenna for several years, never had a problem until this update. It's affecting multiple TVs, too. I've done a rescan on the TVs (as suggested by the stations) and it doesn't help. So I don't have my CBS station and the NBC one is close behind. I've contacted my CBS station but no reply so far.

Anything I'm forgetting to do or look at?

12 hours ago, The University said:

we use a gizmo gadget for this functionality. basically it's a no-frills watch that allows them to text and call certain numbers. the watch is about $150 and the service is $5/mth.

Yeah we have an old iPhone loaded with the Zello app, allows the phone to be used as a walkie-talkie on wifi, the phone does not have cell service. Have the rest of the phone parentally locked down so they can only use it to talk to us when we're out of the house.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so as of tuesday, we have cut cords.

upgraded to a new samsung and got roku on both sets.

here's my new question - since we have a pretty basic roku x2 we have a very basic roku remote, which doesn't control the tv at all (volume/power).  i've been able to do everything with one remote for 10+ years and i won't go back to dealing with multiple.  i can't, i won't.

so what is my best option for purchasing a universal remote that ideally has roku buttons + programmable tv buttons?

(this may very well have already been answered, but i didn't find it)

here's my new question - since we have a pretty basic roku x2 we have a very basic roku remote, which doesn't control the tv at all (volume/power).  i've been able to do everything with one remote for 10+ years and i won't go back to dealing with multiple.  i can't, i won't.
so what is my best option for purchasing a universal remote that ideally has roku buttons + programmable tv buttons?

Should have bought the better Roku with the volume controls on the remote. It also turns my Samsungs on and off. I've never been a fan of universal remotes.

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

try the samsung ARC control and make sure the ROKUs are attached through the ARC HDMI port in the back.  Most likely this will instantly give your Samsung remote basic Roku remote functionality as well as volume and input control.  You may need to turn on this feature on the roku and the Samsung TV separately.  My TV remote controls an Apple TV, PS4, Amazon Fire TV and Marantz all through the ARC HDMI input.  Way better than any universal remote

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Samsung calls this "CEC" in the menu settings, make sure this is on. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208754498-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-streaming-player-for-surround-sound-

True, but the handshake between Samsung TVs and other devices with the HDMI ARC is notoriously shaky. I use the same setup with my system (Samsung TV to Apple TV and Fire TV), and sometimes the power button works, sometimes it doesn't, with no apparent rhyme or reason. But volume control usually works fine.

We cut DirectTv satellite last week and are still experimenting with the streaming free trials.  It’s annoying that we end up probably needing two services to cover all the channels the family typically watches.   (Vue doesn’t get KXAN or NickJr, which are both requirements in the house, among some others).  The ability to easily access the channels needed (ie surfing) sucks too pretty much for all services, but Vue seems to get there the best.  Main issue with Vue is my TVs are Samsung so have to run it through AppleTV   Would prefer to have it straight from TV,  

So right now we are doing Vue and DirectTVNow, cheapest options on each.

A couple of questions:

- I’d like get a DVR for over the air channels.  What is best (and most user friendly) option for multi room (at least 2 TVs) use?

- what else carries Viacom right now?  If I can access the NickJr app and similar Viacom apps on AppleTV, that’s really all I need.  Can’t do it with Vue.   I’d love to cancel DirectTVNow as I only need it for Viacom channels.  

5 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

A couple of questions:

- I’d like get a DVR for over the air channels.  What is best (and most user friendly) option for multi room (at least 2 TVs) use?.  

We’re happy with our Fire Recast after a month or so of use. We screwed up and got the 500GB/2 Tuner version if we would have paid attention we would have went with the 1TB/4 Tuner. We are just using it on a single TV right now but I would assume it is multi TV capable with multiple Fire Sticks. 

my only real issue now is the two spectrum cable boxes were the main way i could tell what time it was from most parts of the room.  my laptop has the time and my phone has it also, but is there some sort of electronic device that just tells me what time it is?  i don't really care if it does other stuff, i would just like something to sit there and just let me know the time.

i looked on amazon but couldn't find anything.

oh well.

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my only real issue now is the two spectrum cable boxes were the main way i could tell what time it was from most parts of the room.  my laptop has the time and my phone has it also, but is there some sort of electronic device that just tells me what time it is?  i don't really care if it does other stuff, i would just like something to sit there and just let me know the time.

i looked on amazon but couldn't find anything.

oh well.

Are you serious? Walmart has a cool digital clock. Blue LEDs (I guess) about 1" high. $10.

Back to phones (I've their TV service, but kept internet and phone). I like the reliability of Spectrum's landline service and the call waiting/voicemail integration which essentially allows you to turn one line into two. I use the phone a lot for business.

I have never liked fucking Plantronics type headsets for cost or quality (and they are usually only one ear - my hearing sucks). I recently played with Google Voice/Hangouts and was surprised at the clarity available using earbuds. So I thought about going with one of the VOIP headsets (bluetooth) and using Voice's supplied phone number. Problem is, I'm not sure Voice has a very good call waiting function, if it has one at all.

What I'd really like to be able to do is answer calls on my landline using a VOIP headset (with earbuds). Especially if I could do it through my Desktop or laptop computer - using that computer's touch keypad to dial numbers. Anybody run across a good solution?

Is there any reason I should be looking at Skype?

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

no i wasn't serious.  i just thought it was funny that after all that, i found myself shopping for a clock.

We’ve been doing the same thing after getting rid of the digital clock on the cable box we’ve had for the past 20 years. 

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

MIL installed Spectrum but they couldn’t connect the upstairs coax for some reason. They told her to get aRoku and use that to access Spectrum channels. Has anyone done this? Which Roku should she get?

They used to be more than willing to drill holes and run cable up the outside of the house in order to get your business. Maybe you ought to tell them you're looking at another carrier unless they do so for you. I find it hard to believe a ROKU would provide the same quality as hard wire.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but if you are using Roku Ultra, and for most other Rokus, when you are finished viewing be sure to hit the home button on the Roku remote before you turn off your TV.  The Roku will continue to stream live TV unless the streaming service itself has an auto off feature.  Some streaming services like Netflix and some others have auto-off features, but, for example, YoutubeTV will continue to stream even when the TV is off.  I need to check if YouTubeTV has an auto-off feature.  I just came close to exceeding the monthly 1T limit on Comcast because of this.  I've read that the Roku 4 has an auto-off feature in Settings, but my Roku Ultras do not have the feature.  I noticed this recently when I turned the TV back on in the morning and a live show on YoutubeTV immediately appeared.  At 1.5GB (1080p) per hour with several TVs connected it can add up.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, Dbeasy said:

MIL installed Spectrum but they couldn’t connect the upstairs coax for some reason. They told her to get aRoku and use that to access Spectrum channels. Has anyone done this? Which Roku should she get?

Recommend she call Spectrum and ask to speak to a Manager to verify the technician's analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

one month into directvnow, and i get this email:

DIRECTV NOW
Hi Henry,

DIRECTV NOW℠ is now offering two all-new packages, PLUS and MAX. Each package has a different channel lineup than what you currently have, and both include HBO®.

Live a Little is yours to hang on to even though it is no longer available to new customers. However, because programming costs continue to rise, this package will be increasing $10/mo beginning with your 04/27/2019 payment.

The price of HBO® is also increasing, but as a current subscriber, you’ll see no changes in your premium channel pricing.

To see if these packages are a better fit, check out our comparison tool to help make the differences clear. If you do choose a new package, you won’t be able to get Live a Little back.

Thank you for streaming with us.

Sincerely,
Your DIRECTV NOW Team

P.S. You can make changes to your account here at any time.

so, yeah.  i get to keep the package that isn't available anymore, but they're jacking the price by 25%?

but there are two other new packages similar to mine that i can switch to?  has anyone gotten into this, i haven't looked to see what they offer, but i was pretty happy with current situation.

Edited by henrygandorf

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

one month into directvnow, and i get this email:

They are going to offer a streaming version of Directv satellite that has the same prices. I have no idea why they would start another service that appears to be the same as Directvnow, but more expensive, unless they were planning on killing or crippling Directvnow. 

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

All of these services will probably be close to cable where we all go back to cable by 2021 and the much friendlier user interfaces.

as spectrum was uninstalling my setup, the guy was like, "you could also just stream with our spectrum app".  funny how i never heard of that before i cancelled.

um, ok, so i just clicked on the comparison tool link.

if i switch from my current plan (now $40, about to be $50) to "plus" which is already priced at $50, i lose : a&e, amc, animal planet, bbc, cmt, comedy central, discovery, food network, hgtv, history channel, lifetime, mtv, mtv2, nick at nite, paramount, reelz, tvland, vh1, viceland.  but hey, i gain the hbo's, which i currently pay $5 for and still will.

in fact, if this link is correct, even the "max" at $70/month is garbage, and i still would lose almost all that same list - but gain some regional sports nonsense and cinemax.  even at $10 more, i get way more channels (65+) than plus (40+) or max (50+).  guess i got in just in time.

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-livealittle.html?source=&iterable_link_id=564344_Desktop_Body_1_0_a_Link_1

I'm reading with DTVN that AT&T is letting it die in the future to promote their own streaming service. End of the day, if you are grandfathered in with the lower price with HBO at 5 bucks it might be worth it to leach off of the tit a bit longer until they force higher prices. That being said, I'm looking at my options in the future to determine which way I want to go. It's nice though right now as I'm the only one that is interested in the streaming service as my wife and kids have found all they need on Hulu and Netflix.