Cord Cutters Thread

3 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

wow... that may have been what you meant but that is NOT what you said.

you said: "You [as in me being the person you are responding to] do not get the sub channels that you are referring too."   

the response is: yes, I do OTA

What a pedantic and rude response. It was very clear that he was answering the question and simply using "you" to refer to populace of youtube tv users generally. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

What a pedantic and rude response. It was very clear that he was answering the question and simply using "you" to refer to populace of youtube tv users generally. 

RUDE??  on Shaggy/Surly??  hahahahaha   now, THAT is funny.  

No, it is not "rude" nor "pendantic" to take what someone says literally.  If that is not what he meant, then he should have worded it the way he meant it.  You both must be millennials that think when you dont write something correctly and it's OTHER people's responsibility and fault for not reading your mind.  

Maybe I need to clarify this response: yes, I am replying to YOU and, yes, when I use the word YOU replying to YOU, I'm still talking to YOU - not everyone else.  When I say YOU BOTH while replying to YOU, then, yes, I am still talking to YOU but added someone else.  [/sarc]

Edited by Soldierhorn

10 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

RUDE??  on Shaggy/Surly??  hahahahaha   now, THAT is funny.  

No, it is not "rude" nor "pendantic" to take what someone says literally.  If that is not what he meant, then he should have worded it the way he meant it.  You both must be millennials that think when you dont write something correctly and it's the OTHERs responsibility and fault for not reading your mind.  

Maybe I need to clarify this response: yes, I am replying to YOU and, yes, when I use the word YOU replying to YOU, I'm still talking to YOU - not everyone else.  When I say YOU BOTH while replying to YOU, then, yes, I am talking to YOU and someone else.  [/sarc]

Dude, context matters. He was obviously answering your question. Your post was rude and uncalled for. The generic or impersonal "you" is a proper and common grammatical concept in the English language (and other languages as well). You didn't understand it, fine. No need to be asshole, just admit your confusion and move on. This subforum is for those seeking information and tends toward the more polite side. If you want to be an asshole for no reason, go for it, but I'll call you out on it and you lessen the chance that anyone will actually want to help you. 

Some research for you since you apparently are an old, ignorant fool:

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/one-versus-you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you

http://grammar.reverso.net/J_impersonal_you.shtml

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, context matters. He was obviously answering your question.

ABSOLUTELY!  context matters.  Yes, he was talking to me and used the word YOU, which means the response was directed to ME.  YOU can twist it any way you want but THAT is the context.  wow

Edited by Soldierhorn

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

ABSOLUTELY!  context matters.  Yes, he was talking to me and used the word YOU, which means the response was directed to ME.  YOU can twist it any way you want but THAT is the context.  wow

Again, opportunity for you to post: thank you dahobbs for educating me on a common grammatical concept that was unknown to me. I appreciate the information and apologize for my earlier posts.

Instead you double down on ignorance.

It was clear from the context of his post that he was properly invoking the generic "you." Any native speaker should have been able to identify it. Good luck with the angry, willful ignorance bit.  

On 7/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

Some crazy shit going down in the TV cable thread. I just wanted to see if DirectTV Now was worth it. 

We’ve been on DTVnow for 14 months and have been very happy with our ~ $35/mo bill for most of the channels we’d ever bother watching (local, ESPN, news, weather, HGTV, etc.). We did get grandfathered into a plan that was discontinued a few months ago though. Paired with $50/mo ATT fiber, we have never looked back. 

7 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Locked into DTV until September. Was ready to go all in on Vue but just learned they don’t broadcast live tv in digital audio. WTF is that bullshit?

apparently only dtvNow uses digital audio for live channels.

The audio is definitely digital. I assume you mean 5.1 surround. All the services have had it planned, but other than dtvnow, they are currently limited to select on demand content. I assume it will be added to live tv eventually, but there arent any set dates for any of the streaming services. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

The audio is definitely digital. I assume you mean 5.1 surround. All the services have had it planned, but other than dtvnow, they are currently limited to select on demand content. I assume it will be added to live tv eventually, but there arent any set dates for any of the streaming services. 

if you go look on the youtubetv subreddit i think they have a list somewhere of what channels/content is in 5.1 and some providers have a timeframe for implementation i believe? maybe?

On 7/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

We're down to about $115/mo for TV and internet:

Spectrum 200GB internet ($65).

Spectrum TV app ($30).  Only available if you can get their internet service at home.  It gets you all local channels, Spectrum news, 10 channels that you choose which includes my ESPN and Fox sports needs, and a bunch of music channels.  I think we can do 3 streams, but if you are not on Spectrum wifi (using the app on another wifi service), you can't get your local stations.  Not being able to record sucks, but overall quality has been good so far.

Philo ($20).  Includes 58 channels of various entertainment, no news or sports - A&E, Comedy C, 4 MTVs, AXS, 3 Nicks, TLC, IFC, the Discovery networks.  The wife can usually find something to watch with those choices.  Unlimited dvr, but shows older than 30 days drop off, plus you'll have ads.  I was expecting poor quality from stuff I'd read, but it's been good so far and fits our needs.

Pluto (free)  100+ channels of really random stuff, including a cult movie channel, Wipeout channel, The Onion, Cult Films Channel.  Plus they'll run a lot of good older movies on the movie channels and on demand.  The price is certainly right.

Add another $16 or so for Pandora Premium and XM streaming sub for music streaming, and those are all our streaming options for now.  Considering Netflix.  We also have a Prime membership, but rarely take advantage of their TV/music, so I really don't count that expense toward our streaming.   

Understanding that all cable / internet companies subject you to at least one ring of hell, how is Spectrum?

I have been with Uverse/DirectTV for years but the cost is out of control.  The high speed internet packages from Spectrum look great and when packaged with TV seem like a good deal.  A buddy down the street works at Spectrum corporate and swears by it and assures me that it will be great and he will get me A+ support, etc.   

Weighing that against all the complications of cord cutting.  I am willing to pay some extra for ease of use, so long as the product is great quality and reliable.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

Understanding that all cable / internet companies subject you to at least one ring of hell, how is Spectrum?

I have been with Uverse/DirectTV for years but the cost is out of control.  The high speed internet packages from Spectrum look great and when packaged with TV seem like a good deal.  A buddy down the street works at Spectrum corporate and swears by it and assures me that it will be great and he will get me A+ support, etc.   

Weighing that against all the complications of cord cutting.  I am willing to pay some extra for ease of use, so long as the product is great quality and reliable.

Just know that Spectrum has great deals for the first year, then you bump off off the discounts and the price jumps a ton. As long as you know that going in, then good luck!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Spectrum has been solid for me. In my area it was Charter before. Used to have their TV and the cable box was from like 2002 and horrible.

The internet is great and very reliable IMO. But yeah, I pay like $65 a month with no discounts.

This has been our experience.  A few years ago we started with something like 25GB for $30/mo, then it bumped to $35/mo after first year.  We finally made the switch to 200 GB earlier this year when we decided to cut cord and the price jumped to $65.  Reliability has been very good.  

12 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Anybody with PSVue having issues with audio not syncing with video? Varies in severity, but generally around 1/2 second difference. Seems like it’s gotten much worse lately. Google fiber internet, so I know it’s not a connection issue.

what is your actual device using to watch? PS4? Roku? Fire?

is this limited to certain channels or across the board?

is there a chance it is your router? if it is randomly intermittent across the board this would be my guess?

if you have a fire TV there are some known issues evidently?  https://old.reddit.com/r/Vue/comments/cicpyc/fire_tv_diamond_dongle_audio_sync_issues/

here is a search for the Vue subreddit with lots of different people having random sync issues on fireTV, Roku, PS4, etc...maybe one of the has a solution? https://old.reddit.com/r/Vue/search?q=sync&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

12 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

This has been our experience.  A few years ago we started with something like 25GB for $30/mo, then it bumped to $35/mo after first year.  We finally made the switch to 200 GB earlier this year when we decided to cut cord and the price jumped to $65.  Reliability has been very good.  

want to third reliability. only time it has been down for me in the last 12 months is when they were doing maintenance / upgrades in my area...

Dear Subscriber:

We’d like to share some new changes coming to DIRECTV NOW℠! 

In an effort to deliver the best service possible across our products, we will soon be reintroducing the DIRECTV NOW experience as AT&T TV NOW. 

In the coming weeks, your DIRECTV NOW app will change to AT&T TV, but will continue to deliver the same great streaming entertainment. As an existing customer, your service will carry on as usual without any interruptions. 

If automatic updates are not enabled on your device, you will be directed to download the updated app when you login. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and accept the Terms and Conditions to update. 

There will be no changes to any network apps you’ve signed into. However, if you’ve signed into any network apps like USA, E! or ESPN and decide to sign out, you will need to select AT&T TV as your TV provider the next time you log in. 

For more information on what you can expect from the change to AT&T TV, check out this FAQ. 

Sincerely, 
Your DIRECTV NOW Team

what is your actual device using to watch? PS4? Roku? Fire?
is this limited to certain channels or across the board?
is there a chance it is your router? if it is randomly intermittent across the board this would be my guess?
if you have a fire TV there are some known issues evidently?  https://old.reddit.com/r/Vue/comments/cicpyc/fire_tv_diamond_dongle_audio_sync_issues/
here is a search for the Vue subreddit with lots of different people having random sync issues on fireTV, Roku, PS4, etc...maybe one of the has a solution? https://old.reddit.com/r/Vue/search?q=sync&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Thanks. It’s a Fire TV. I’ll dig through those forums and see if anything helps

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

The Verge: PBS will stream live for the first time with YouTube TV.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank God. One thing I've missed the hell out of since cutting the cable was PBS. I can't get the local station with a cheap antenna and wasn't going to put up anything more expensive just for that one channel. I've been missing my Monday night lineup which always included "Antiques Roadshow".

Dear Subscriber:

We’d like to share some new changes coming to DIRECTV NOW℠! 

In an effort to deliver the best service possible across our products, we will soon be reintroducing the DIRECTV NOW experience as AT&T TV NOW. 

In the coming weeks, your DIRECTV NOW app will change to AT&T TV, but will continue to deliver the same great streaming entertainment. As an existing customer, your service will carry on as usual without any interruptions. 

If automatic updates are not enabled on your device, you will be directed to download the updated app when you login. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and accept the Terms and Conditions to update. 

There will be no changes to any network apps you’ve signed into. However, if you’ve signed into any network apps like USA, E! or ESPN and decide to sign out, you will need to select AT&T TV as your TV provider the next time you log in. 

For more information on what you can expect from the change to AT&T TV, check out this FAQ. 

Sincerely, 
Your DIRECTV NOW Team

Glad they are working on the really important things like rebranding rather than figuring out how to provide the content I signed up to receive. Still no progress with rate negotiations with CBS and others?

OK, I finally looked at my Grande bill and realized that I'm pissing away over $150/mo on cable that nobody has watched in months, so I need to get this done before football season.  While I'd prefer how Youtube TV would integrate with my other Google shit, unless anyone knows about any impending inclusion of LHN, I guess it'll be PSVue.

Just to be sure it'll do what I want it to do, for football season I'd like to be able to watch 3-4 different games concurrently (via Chromecasts).  I understand that I can have up to 5 streams once I set a home device, so that seems like it should work, correct?  Can all of those streams be from one user profile, or would different users have to cast to each TV?  Also, if I understand correctly, Youtube TV doesn't count apps (WatchESPN, etc) as a stream - is that the same for PSVue?

OK, I finally looked at my Grande bill and realized that I'm pissing away over $150/mo on cable that nobody has watched in months, so I need to get this done before football season.  While I'd prefer how Youtube TV would integrate with my other Google shit, unless anyone knows about any impending inclusion of LHN, I guess it'll be PSVue.

Just to be sure it'll do what I want it to do, for football season I'd like to be able to watch 3-4 different games concurrently (via Chromecasts).  I understand that I can have up to 5 streams once I set a home device, so that seems like it should work, correct?  Can all of those streams be from one user profile, or would different users have to cast to each TV?  Also, if I understand correctly, Youtube TV doesn't count apps (WatchESPN, etc) as a stream - is that the same for PSVue?
I haven't tried to test the limits of YTTV on TVs and or with apps, but I do know that I can open multiple tabs in a browser under the same main account. I've done four at once. Didn't try a fiftg or sixth. I'll try tomorrow at work.
  • Like 1

YTTV is offering a 2 week trial for a limited time

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/1/20750853/youtube-tv-free-trial-two-weeks-deal

For “a limited time only,” YouTube TV is offering a two-week free trial instead of the usual one-week duration. Droid Life spotted the longer-than-usual free trial. Sadly (but predictably), this is only for new customers and won’t do you much good if you’ve already tried and canceled YouTube TV.

The fine print reveals that this promo will run from today until August 14th. There are a number of other YouTube TV trial “deals” happening — particularly if you’re a Verizon Wireless or home internet customer. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

We’ve been on DTVnow for 14 months and have been very happy with our ~ $35/mo bill for most of the channels we’d ever bother watching (local, ESPN, news, weather, HGTV, etc.). We did get grandfathered into a plan that was discontinued a few months ago though. Paired with $50/mo ATT fiber, we have never looked back. 

Same here, I'm generally happy with it (mostly because they grandfathered us into a great plan).  They've (temporarily?) lost CBS and NBC but that doesn't bother me much since I get great OTA reception for both.   Mostly they sent me a really, really good new streaming box that I assume they'll break out in a few months, MUCH better to operate and much less gizmo-ish than Apple TV's.  Between sending me the Apple TV and this thing, I'm happy with their stuff.

If they start knocking me > $50/mo. for service, buh-bye.

13 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:
13 hours ago, Damor said:

I haven't tried to test the limits of YTTV on TVs and or with apps, but I do know that I can open multiple tabs in a browser under the same main account. I've done four at once. Didn't try a fiftg or sixth. I'll try tomorrow at work.

I was able to open and watch 12 open tabs of YTTV in Chrome, on a Windows desktop at work with no issues, no buffering, and no nasty calls from my IT department.  I let them all run for an hour or so (wasn't part of the plan...just forgot they were going).  I asked folks at home to open YTTV at home on the Android TV/TV and see if it worked...It did.  So my main account had 13 screens open.  But I am guessing YTTV treats my work PC as 1 log in.  This still doesn't answer your question about numbers of TVs or apps.  But good to know that as a fall back, you can always fire up a laptop and get your NASA command center screens rolling.

• Like 1

Reading how Disney is going to bundle Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for $13/mo.  I think this is exactly the wrong direction for cord cutters.  The content providers will slowly start to put everything into a bundle, and then start to remove the individual pieces options.  And perhaps initially the bundles will be great buys, then slowly everything inches up and up.  then your monthly bill is $100/mo.   

Then they will offer a $25/mo discount if you will commit to a year contract...

On 8/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, Damor said:

One interesting quirk is the way PSUVue treats local stations on the level I was on, it was Core level, and will be on again here just before 8-31.  Local stations you need to be sure to have your HD antenna set up because certain games will only be shown via that and are blacked out via PSUVue.    My HD Antenna was unplugged the night Texas played OSU(the horrible game where the DB's were suspended for the first half I think)   By the time I figured out the game was blacked out and got the antenna figured out, with WTF, WTF minutes going by troubleshooting first PSUVue then antenna, I missed almost the whole shitshow first quarter.

Point is, be ready.  PSUVue overall is worth it.  

Edit: signed back in on the Core level.  Price has gone up but is still decent.

Edited by zork

Reading how Disney is going to bundle Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for $13/mo.  I think this is exactly the wrong direction for cord cutters.  The content providers will slowly start to put everything into a bundle, and then start to remove the individual pieces options.  And perhaps initially the bundles will be great buys, then slowly everything inches up and up.  then your monthly bill is $100/mo.   
Then they will offer a $25/mo discount if you will commit to a year contract...

You are absolutely 100% spot on. We're on the tail end of a brief transitional period in which the consumer could actually get a great deal. Give it 5 years and I guarantee that we'll be right back where we started.

1 hour ago, zork said:

One interesting quirk is the way PSUVue treats local stations on the level I was on, it was Core level, and will be on again here just before 8-31.  Local stations you need to be sure to have your HD antenna set up because certain games will only be shown via that and are blacked out via PSUVue.    My HD Antenna was unplugged the night Texas played OSU(the horrible game where the DB's were suspended for the first half I think)   By the time I figured out the game was blacked out and got the antenna figured out, with WTF, WTF minutes going by troubleshooting first PSUVue then antenna, I missed almost the whole shitshow first quarter.

Point is, be ready.  PSUVue overall is worth it.  

Edit: signed back in on the Core level.  Price has gone up but is still decent.

Whoa, would never have thought of that.  Is it like that at all levels?  Do you think that in situations like that you could pull the game up on an app (ESPN, FOX, whatever) and cast it to the TV?

This had not occurred to us, dude.  I don't have an HD antenna, and honestly have no idea how I'd integrate one into the system.

57 minutes ago, Damor said:

Whoa, would never have thought of that.  Is it like that at all levels?  Do you think that in situations like that you could pull the game up on an app (ESPN, FOX, whatever) and cast it to the TV?

This had not occurred to us, dude.  I don't have an HD antenna, and honestly have no idea how I'd integrate one into the system.

The local channels worked fine before and since.  There mignt have been something in the contract somehow somewhere about saturday night primetime ABC games are blacked out in certain circumstances, or something.  IIRC that was the timing of that game.  It freaked me out but the results of that shitshow had me more pissed about the game than the PSUVue at the time.  

I don't honestly know what/why it was that way and I've not worried about it too much since.

Edit:  anyone else see that with PSUVue on blacked out events?

This is the style of refurbished hdtv antenna that is electric powered for great reception if you put it in the right spot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWKHHCC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00FWKHHCC&pd_rd_w=vizwh&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=QUFtO&pf_rd_r=EHF4KVFJ1ESGTTJFMSXV&pd_rd_r=97ac93bc-69e5-4118-a54f-2436877acea8&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE1N1o1NlUwSlg1Q1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMTA2Mzg3SE9BWVZZT1FTT0MmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDQ2NjA0NTE1WTFTSVpBWjJBU0omd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Edited by zork
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So am I correct in saying that the only way to stream LHN right now is the $55/mo PS Vue package, or the $70 AT&T Now package? Fuuuuuuck. I may take my chances with Reddit, $55+ to watch one fucking game against a shitty opponent is hard to stomach.

Ever heard of "free trials?"

13 hours ago, tokamak said:

So am I correct in saying that the only way to stream LHN right now is the $55/mo PS Vue package, or the $70 AT&T Now package? Fuuuuuuck. I may take my chances with Reddit, $55+ to watch one fucking game against a shitty opponent is hard to stomach.

no, that is not correct and has been addressed several times in this thread

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Unless you’re hosting a party, who cares about getting LHN for 1 game. Hit up a bar or friends house. Bring over wings and beers, and your friend is happy. 

For me, it's not about one football game.  It's about all the other sports, esp baseball

17 hours ago, tokamak said:

I would say no, you are not correct. I have the DTV Now and ESPN+. I think I was able to stream LHN through the ESPN app with just my DTV Now subscription. I added ESPN+ to get some of the original and on-demand programming that ESPN moved to ESPN+. If you subscribe to ESPN+, I think you should have no trouble streaming any* of their content.

*May be subject to blackout rules based on location/billing address