Cord Cutters Thread

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

No, I have several fire sticks and they’ve all literally quit working. Take forever to load glitch all the time. Pretty much unusable. Done multiple resets.

Well, cool. Mine works great, always has. Maybe you shouldn't stick it up your ass.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

But that’s all they are really good for now

What generation of Firestick?  I think the current generation replaced the Firebox.  So it's the top of the line outside of that cube thing.  I have a second gen, and while it still works, it lags a bit and is slow to boot up.  But once it's up, it's fine.  Fireboxes on my other TVs are going strong. 

I'm new to the cord cutting phenomenon, and I have absurd sports needs. Most of my stuff is on auto pay, and when I saw that my latest monthly Dtv bill was $254 I said it's time. I went with YTTV, and tonight I had 4 games going (also using what I suppose is an IPTV service) with no issues. Early returns are good. We'll see how it goes with NFL. 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:57 AM, Skipper said:

PSVUE has been absolutely sucking for me this week.  Have tried to watch a couple of shows DVR or on demand and keep getting black screen or audio synch issues.  Anyone else?  Googled it and per PSVUE forums apparently tons of people are having problems after a recent update.   I chose PSVUE over YTTV solely for LHN (and I planned on adding redzone during NFL season) but they better get this shit figured out or I'm moving on.   I guess being able to change services quickly if one isn't performing up to par is a good thing about cutting the cord.

It's been awful. I signed up a few weeks ago so I could have RedZone and LHN for football season. The audio synch issues have been unbearable and lots of freezing. It occurs across all devices. Thought maybe it was on my end with my wifi, so I hooked my 4k Apple TV box directly into my router, and it didn't make a difference. None of my other streaming services has any issues. 

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Those of us with hulu live+apple TV.. new guide in the app update.. very slick looking

The Hulu Live TV guide on Fire TV is garbage.  Not sure if Hulu or Fire TV.

Did the 7 day trial so I could binge Schitt's Creek season 5 but found I'm liking Hulu Live TV more than AT&T Now.  Especially as my AT&T Now recordings keep abruptly cutting off the last 2-3 minutes of shows. 

But it's almost double the price with my AT&T phone discount. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

It's been awful. I signed up a few weeks ago so I could have RedZone and LHN for football season. The audio synch issues have been unbearable and lots of freezing. It occurs across all devices. Thought maybe it was on my end with my wifi, so I hooked my 4k Apple TV box directly into my router, and it didn't make a difference. None of my other streaming services has any issues. 

I just paid for next month j a week ago so I guess they have about 3 weeks to convince me not to move to YTTV.  I can probably live without Redzone and don't think we have any more games on LHN.

No one offers LHN a la carte.

There's 4 ways to get LHN on your TV:

1. a traditional cable/satellite package
  2. streaming packages from AT&T Now or Playstation Vue
  3. a friend with either #1 or #2 that will share their login credentials with you
  4. less legal means (IPTV, Reddit streams, etc)

First day of football and starting to question dropping DTV despite paying way too much for it.  Have had intermittent shitty picture and even dropped a couple of times for a few seconds.  High speed Fiber internet and mesh network so Wifi is as good as it's going to get.  It's not terrible by any stretch but I was thinking there really wouldn't be any dropoff in picture quality or consistency and so far not the case.

57 minutes ago, Skipper said:

First day of football and starting to question dropping DTV despite paying way too much for it.  Have had intermittent shitty picture and even dropped a couple of times for a few seconds.  High speed Fiber internet and mesh network so Wifi is as good as it's going to get.  It's not terrible by any stretch but I was thinking there really wouldn't be any dropoff in picture quality or consistency and so far not the case.

Which service?

PS Vue was fine for me last night. Buffered for a couple seconds maybe once or twice and that's it. I personally think the interface on roku is pretty clunky but whatever. Also discovered that you can only pause live TV for like 5 minutes before it automatically resumes which is weird.

Gotta figure out how the DVR works this week because I have a wedding to go to Saturday night. Very rude of them to schedule it during such an important football game.

12 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Which service?

PSVUE.  It wasn't horrible but did buffer a few times and picture looked choppy a few times.  I mean every service has it's issues (fucking DTV drove me crazy when it rained) but just not quite the picture consistency I'm used to.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHorn said:

On the Firestick I can only pause 5 minutes.

I use a 2nd Gen. Firebox.  I'll have to check how long I can pause, but I could have sworn it was longer than 5 minutes.  Maybe not? 

On the Playstation, you can pause for up to 30 minutes apparently.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3047812/playstation-vue-faq-everything-to-know-about-sony-s-cable-tv-alternative.html

Edited by dcbc

6 hours ago, ColoradoHorn said:

The game watching experience was really good on PS Vue.  No issues did see two occasions where it paused for buffering, but didn't miss a thing.

There were a couple of times, while watching the game via PSVue on my computer, that  I had to back da back back back, back it up, to see a replay.  Worked flawlessly.

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

I use a 2nd Gen. Firebox.  I'll have to check how long I can pause, but I could have sworn it was longer than 5 minutes.  Maybe not? 

On the Playstation, you can pause for up to 30 minutes apparently.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3047812/playstation-vue-faq-everything-to-know-about-sony-s-cable-tv-alternative.html

I'll have to check with my Son's PS4.  He might get to play on the big screen upstairs!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Dahobbs said:

I should add, the Youtube TV android app does have a "showing now" guide. It even plays a thumbnail version of whatever is playing when you scroll over it. What it doesn't have is a way to scroll to the next hour to see what is on. It is perplexing why this isn't included. The Roku App contains a typical programming guide that is very easy to use. 

YTTV does have this...it's just not intuitive.  When you are in the Live channels menu, click on the logo for the channel...not the current show.  On the android app (phone and tablet), it's on the right side...on the Android TV app, it's on the left side.  That will show you the upcoming schedule for that channel.  It will show you the next 24 hours (sorry, not three weeks or so like DirecTV).

On my Android TV (SHIELD TV) app on my TV, I see the next 1.5 to 2 hours on every channel on that Live page.  On my Android tablet, I see the next show on every channel on the Live page. On my phone, I see only the current show.  So despite what you've heard, it seems screen SIZE DOES MATTER!

18 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

YTTV does have this...it's just not intuitive.  When you are in the Live channels menu, click on the logo for the channel...not the current show.  On the android app (phone and tablet), it's on the right side...on the Android TV app, it's on the left side.  That will show you the upcoming schedule for that channel.  It will show you the next 24 hours (sorry, not three weeks or so like DirecTV).

On my Android TV (SHIELD TV) app on my TV, I see the next 1.5 to 2 hours on every channel on that Live page.  On my Android tablet, I see the next show on every channel on the Live page. On my phone, I see only the current show.  So despite what you've heard, it seems screen SIZE DOES MATTER!

I'm aware of that function. It isn't very useful in mine opinion, at least not comparable to how traditional guides function. When I'm channel surfing, I'm looking for what is or will be on that interests me. It defeats the purpose if I have to click the channel to get a future schedule. I basically have to already know what channel I want to watch. 

On 9/7/2019 at 7:28 AM, tokamak said:

Can someone explain to me how the PS Vue DVR works? I need to record our game tonight. When I find it in the guide and do Add to DVR though it seems like what it's doing is recording ALL programs called "college football".

That's what happens.  Go ahead and add NCAA football to the DVR as well.  It's a bit of a pain sifting through it all sometimes, but you don't have to remember to record the game week to week.  Go ahead and record whatever comes on afterward, too, assuming it's not also titled College/NCAA Football, in case the game goes long. 

That's what happens.  Go ahead and add NCAA football to the DVR as well.  It's a bit of a pain sifting through it all sometimes, but you don't have to remember to record the game week to week.  Go ahead and record whatever comes on afterward, too, assuming it's not also titled College/NCAA Football, in case the game goes long. 

Yeah it ended up recording our game just fine. Watched the entire thing after I got home. Just really weird that I also had to record dozens of other games that I don't care about. I guess if I want to rewatch Furman vs. Georgia State later this week, I'm all set.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Yeah it ended up recording our game just fine. Watched the entire thing after I got home. Just really weird that I also had to record dozens of other games that I don't care about. I guess if I want to rewatch Furman vs. Georgia State later this week, I'm all set.

Don't think of it as recording.  You're just earmarking it to watch it on demand later.

So happy I cut the cord on DTV.  With the possibility of no ESPN this weekend.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2019/9/11/20859774/anticipating-ames-viewership-decline-directv-pulls-espn-iowa-hawkeye-football-cy-hawk-gameday-bhgp

ESPN and DirecTV have been unable to come to terms on a deal that is currently set to expire Friday night. DirecTV and AT&T Now customers will not be able to watch College GameDay Saturday or Monday Night football or any other ESPN programming beginning Saturday unless a new deal is reached.

Losing ESPN is an easy consumer decision, at least for those of us who aren't under contract and can push a button on TV service in a matter of minutes. 

But if I still had one of the dishes, I'd be inching that way with the idea that I'd have to send receivers back, talk to reps, etc. 

Still.

17 hours ago, ColoradoHorn said:

So happy I cut the cord on DTV.  With the possibility of no ESPN this weekend.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2019/9/11/20859774/anticipating-ames-viewership-decline-directv-pulls-espn-iowa-hawkeye-football-cy-hawk-gameday-bhgp

ESPN and DirecTV have been unable to come to terms on a deal that is currently set to expire Friday night. DirecTV and AT&T Now customers will not be able to watch College GameDay Saturday or Monday Night football or any other ESPN programming beginning Saturday unless a new deal is reached.

honestly, just sign up for the Youtube TV trial and use it this weekend...

PSVue seems to have gone down hill over the past year. I have it on every TV (via Fire stick or the like). My main TV and only the main has been buggy as hell with Vue. I'll start it up, go to the guide and after a few second, the guide disappears. It's a frustrating game of going back and forth to get the guide back and select programming.

I've tried removing and reinstalling vue with no improvement. Anyone else had this issue? It's only on this one TV that where it's a major problem.

3 hours ago, Spur08 said:

PSVue seems to have gone down hill over the past year. I have it on every TV (via Fire stick or the like). My main TV and only the main has been buggy as hell with Vue. I'll start it up, go to the guide and after a few second, the guide disappears. It's a frustrating game of going back and forth to get the guide back and select programming.

I've tried removing and reinstalling vue with no improvement. Anyone else had this issue? It's only on this one TV that where it's a major problem.

I've started the YTTV trial due to PSVUE issues (it was 3 weeks when I signed up on Sunday).  Putting aside all of PSVue's problems since the last Roku update, I think YTTV seems like the better service/better picture.  Big downside obviously is they are missing LHN, NFL Network and Redzone.   PSVue rep told me to not only uninstall and reinstall channel but to turn off the power for 15 seconds after you uninstall (and they are blaming Roku for the problems - whatever).   I may try that tonight just to see, as I can't get it to load at all right now, but I have already turned off auto-renew and will probably will stick with YTTV for a while at least. 

Maybe PSVUE gets their shit together eventually but it's garbage right now.   Just look how many people are having problems on their support page:  https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/playstation-vue-support.html

Edited by Skipper

5 hours ago, Spur08 said:

The guide is still there, but for some reason, just isn't visible  If you hit "select" and navigate to the guide again, it should stay up without further problem during that viewing session.  It has been annoying for sure. It's been most annoying on my 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick.  That thing is slow enough without having to find the guide twice.

Edited by dcbc

fwiw i haven't had any issues with psvue but I rarely watch anything but UT Sports and even then only via my computer.  my dvr attempts have been few as I rarely watch something again. 

i did watch an nba game last season in the playoffs that i wasn't able to watch live.  just clicked the + on it and it was there to watch when i got back from my kid event. 

i cancel psvue for about 3 or 4 months out of the year when not actively watching ut sports.  even at ~55 a month it is cheaper than going to the bar to watch ut sports and the baseball coverage is great for lhn.  

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I've started the YTTV trial due to PSVUE issues (it was 3 weeks when I signed up on Sunday).  Putting aside all of PSVue's problems since the last Roku update, I think YTTV seems like the better service/better picture.  Big downside obviously is they are missing LHN, NFL Network and Redzone.   PSVue rep told me to not only uninstall and reinstall channel but to turn off the power for 15 seconds after you uninstall (and they are blaming Roku for the problems - whatever).   I may try that tonight just to see, as I can't get it to load at all right now, but I have already turned off auto-renew and will probably will stick with YTTV for a while at least. 

Maybe PSVUE gets their shit together eventually but it's garbage right now.   Just look how many people are having problems on their support page:  https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/playstation-vue-support.html

I cycled through free trials of pretty much every streaming service during last football season. My recollection is that YTTV was easily the best (on Roku at least). Wish they'd get LHN but I assume that any new providers for LHN is out of the question at this point and ESPN is just going to let it die on the vine until the contract expires.

18 hours ago, tokamak said:

I cycled through free trials of pretty much every streaming service during last football season. My recollection is that YTTV was easily the best (on Roku at least). Wish they'd get LHN but I assume that any new providers for LHN is out of the question at this point and ESPN is just going to let it die on the vine until the contract expires.

i mean, it is a 20 year contract signed in 2016, so that is going to be a rather long, slow death...

My 4G AppleTV just crapped out this week.  First it went all wonky on the network stuff - can’t find any networks, says the passwords are all wrong, etc.  Then it started to undo changes I made in setup as if I went back and changed my mind.  Now it’s fucking up colors (the Netflix logo is a nice bright blue and the AT&T logo is a deep red, etc.).  Tried it on 2 TVs and with different cables.  For 10 minutes or so it’s fine and then the colors shift.  So it’s the AppleTV.  Full reset and update didn’t help.

Fucking 15 months old.   Buying another Roku.

19 hours ago, tokamak said:

Xfinity internet comes with ESPN3 which includes LHN. So does my AT&T cell service.  So I no longer care if my TV provider includes LHN.  Might be worth checking things like that. 

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My 4G AppleTV just crapped out this week.  First it went all wonky on the network stuff - can’t find any networks, says the passwords are all wrong, etc.  Then it started to undo changes I made in setup as if I went back and changed my mind.  Now it’s fucking up colors (the Netflix logo is a nice bright blue and the AT&T logo is a deep red, etc.).  Tried it on 2 TVs and with different cables.  For 10 minutes or so it’s fine and then the colors shift.  So it’s the AppleTV.  Full reset and update didn’t help.

Fucking 15 months old.   Buying another Roku.

wipe it and start over?

i assume it isn't under warranty either...

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Xfinity internet comes with ESPN3 which includes LHN. So does my AT&T cell service.  So I no longer care if my TV provider includes LHN.  Might be worth checking things like that. 

This does not work for me. "User not Authorized Error"  I didn't think my Xfinity Internet gave me access to LHN...and it doesn't for me.  What's your secret sauce?  I log into WatchESPN with my usual Disney/ESPN account...then try to watch/click LHN (a football game replay right now...go figure!)...it asks for my Xfinity creds...I plug in my Xfinity Internet/Stream cred...not authorized.  You have another route that works?