Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Up here in Virginia we have the scantrons. It's reassuring to drop it into the scanner knowing there's a paper trail if something gets screwed up. Amazing -- or not, actually -- that when our elections are under attack Texas hasn't gone back to a less vulnerable system. Someone needs to film this happening to bring attention to it but I guess you don't know its going to happen til it happens.

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Wait. You want to lecture me? You who comes in here with the pretense of questions?

Yeah. Continue to fuck off. I am not impressed with your feigned innocence. You are not one whit better than Tahoe.

What exactly have you contributed to the discussion? Got anything? A quote? A report from the field?

Yeah, about all I have seen of you is a soft squishy mush of nothingness. 

Are you okay this morning? Drink lots of water, 2 advils, maybe eat something greasy and then take a nap. You should be fine by afternoon. 

Let me know when you start feeling better!

5 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

The “glitch” is if you vote straight D, your  Senator vote changes to Cruz. If you vote straight R, it votes for no one.

This goddamned shit is so fucking rigged.

To be fair to the glitch, voting Ted Cruz is basically voting for no one.  Not like he represents us, since he's Iowa's 3rd Senator.

Same "flipping" glitch in Georgia too.  I read yesterday that the same situation occurred there within the governor's race, with Kemp getting the benefit of the flip.  

It's not the first time in GA either.  Link below is an article about flipping votes from HRC to Trump in '16.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-voting-machine-suspected-flipping-presidential-votes/GEmbqSIj6sZgFzegQztBpJ/

I agree with cyclist and others, we need a paper trail.  I am pretty uneasy these machines without a backup.   With all the effort we make to insure only eligible people vote (voter ID),  you'd think they would do more to make sure the votes actually get counted and recorded in a failsafe manner.  

Seems they could print a bar coded receipt of your vote, and it could be verified by the machine also taking a picture of your thumb or forefinger print, adding it to the receipt.  Then you could go back later and rescan your receipt to see if it were properly recorded. 

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Same "flipping" glitch in Georgia too.  I read yesterday that the same situation occurred there within the governor's race, with Kemp getting the benefit of the flip.  

It's not the first time in GA either.  Link below is an article about flipping votes from HRC to Trump in '16.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-voting-machine-suspected-flipping-presidential-votes/GEmbqSIj6sZgFzegQztBpJ/

I agree with cyclist and others, we need a paper trail.  I am pretty uneasy these machines without a backup.   With all the effort we make to insure only eligible people vote (voter ID),  you'd think they would do more to make sure the votes actually get counted and recorded in a failsafe manner.  

Seems they could print a bar coded receipt of your vote, and it could be verified by the machine also taking a picture of your thumb or forefinger print, adding it to the receipt.  Then you could go back later and rescan your receipt to see if it were properly recorded. 

One of the big pushbacks I’d be concerned with there is buyers remorse / influence after the vote / misremembering and other reasons people would say they voted registered x but meant y.    

Maybe combine your plan with some other threshold thing like if more than 5% of people from a particular location report changing then do something.  But one offs seem unworkable. 

5 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

This happened to me and a friend.  Fortunately, we both caught it before casting our ballots and were able to switch our votes back.

I’m OCD as a motherfucker, so I triple-checked my final choices before hitting the “Cast Ballot” button. And then I checked all the locks on the public library doors and made sure their coffee maker was turned off before I left.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve stayed away from the politics board since the move, but the wife had something on the tv a few days ago talking about the 3 closest senate races and Texas wasn’t one of them, it was Arizona, Nevada, and...Virginia maybe?

anyway, just wondering what this race is looking like. Quick synopsis?

Polls have bounced around but seem to be settling towards a Cruz lead of ~ 5%.  Early voter turnout is extremely high for a midterm, and so that has parked continuous debate as to whether that is in Cruz or O'Rourke's favor.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve stayed away from the politics board since the move, but the wife had something on the tv a few days ago talking about the 3 closest senate races and Texas wasn’t one of them, it was Arizona, Nevada, and...Virginia maybe?

anyway, just wondering what this race is looking like. Quick synopsis?

LOL Virginia isn't one.  Arizona, Nevada and Florida/Missouri.

Cruz is ahead, albeit not by as much as he/the GOP would like (+6/7).  Beto has the enthusiasm but Ted has the numbers.  Beto has the direct money, Ted has the dark money super PACs.

Ted and OU are equal amounts of suck.

Edited by Js1

Cruz will likely emerge victorious and the most recent polling indicates he's 6 points up.  But it's hard to tell how the record turnout will break, and Beto has energized non Trumpists in Texas and cost the GOP a shit ton of money.

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

There is plenty they could do, but there is a reason why certain states resist paper trails.  

Comgress could easily mandate and fund secure voting machines with paper backups for everybody, but they won’t. 

I’m not wearing tinfoil or anything either - the states do not hide this.  

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

But back to the question.

How are Republicans good for the country?

They favor deregulation which has helped spur the economy onward, and led to further decreasing unemployment including the lowest rate ever for African Americans. 

They generally favor lower taxes which leaves more money in American’s pockets.

They generally favor less government intrusion in the average American’s day to day life.  

They support the right of Americans to defend themselves.

They favor the individual over the state  

That’ll do for now on a very surface level. 

• Like 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

They generally favor less government intrusion in the average American’s day to day life.  

That’ll do for now on a very surface level. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, wait. When you say average American you mean white, straight, Christian Americans. So at least that one makes sense from that perspective.

The second one I left in there makes zero sense from any perspective.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh, wait. When you say average American you mean white, straight, Christian Americans. So at least that one makes sense from that perspective.

you meant :White, straight, Christian, American male in the top 1% income bracket.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

People on the Left generally see the state as the solution for most problems.  People on the right, much less so.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

The “glitch” is if you vote straight D, your  Senator vote changes to Cruz. If you vote straight R, it votes for no one.

This goddamned shit is so fucking rigged.

Is that real?  Now I'm a bit more concerned.  Any more info on this that's not a twitter link?

Edit: OK, saw the Star-Telegram Link.  Man, I *think* I double checked that, but now some self doubt creeping in.  Dammit.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

People on the Left generally see the state as the solution for most problems.  People on the right, much less so.  

We're not talking about people on the right, we're talking about the Republican Party. That appears to be the disconnect.

I don't even need to get into the fact that "people on the right" want state solutions for things like marriage definition, bathroom usage, etc.

Edited by Huckleberry

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Damn straight!  Just so long as each individual stands up together with the other individuals and they collectively worship the flag when instructed to do so.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Are you okay this morning? Drink lots of water, 2 advils, maybe eat something greasy and then take a nap. You should be fine by afternoon. 

Let me know when you start feeling better!

I stand by what I said. 

Continue to fuck off. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There is plenty they could do, but there is a reason why certain states resist paper trails.  

Comgress could easily mandate and fund secure voting machines with paper backups for everybody, but they won’t. 

I’m not wearing tinfoil or anything either - the states do not hide this.  

Well, if enough of us vote for people who would listen to our concerns and work towards better systems, then we would get there.   I mean it got us to voter ID,  which was driven by the right trumping up election fraud over and over again.   I would wager that if even a portion of the blue wave happens as suspected, Trump will start a fear campaign on vote tampering.  Which is ironic, because I firmly believe that tampering helped him into office to begin with.  I mean it's gotta be tempting to change a vote or 10 here and there throughout a country of millions to change the election outcome. 

I feel we are at the point in our country where people would be willing to change elections by vote tampering, especially if they knew they could get away with it.   We see mueller still investigating Russian interference by introducing red herrings into our country though mass media.  We have proof that the Trump campaign was eager to take supposed "dirt" on HRC from the Russians.  So if the Russians said they could hack any election and rig it, would it really be too much to suspect certain parties wouldn't jump at that chance?

TL;DR  If free and open elections are the backbone of our country, it would seem we would go to no ends to protect the integrity of those elections, including ways we as citizens can verify our vote after the fact.

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Is that real?  Now I'm a bit more concerned.  Any more info on this that's not a twitter link?

Edit: OK, saw the Star-Telegram Link.  Man, I *think* I double checked that, but now some self doubt creeping in.  Dammit.

Just go vote again along with all the other MS 13 members.

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

They generally favor lower taxes which leaves more money in American’s pockets.

They support the right of Americans to defend themselves.

Wealthy people should not get the bulk of the tax cuts since they already have plenty of money.

Did you pay attention to what the Texas legislature wasted the last session on? It was where a transgendered person can pee. Also in the last few sessions Republicans in Texas have done their best to prevent women from deciding what they can do with their bodies.

• Like 2