Vontae Davis (RIP) retires from football...at half time

Goo Punch

Quite dramatic. 

When you know, you know I guess

He gone

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills cornerback Vontae Davis abruptly retired at halftime of Sunday's 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers, saying in a statement that the reality had hit him: "I shouldn't be out there anymore."

Davis, a 10th-year veteran, said he meant no disrespect to his teammates and coaches, but that physically, he could no longer play at the standard he set for himself.

"[He] pulled himself out of the game," Bills coach Sean McDermott said. "He communicated to us that he was done."

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander alerted reporters to Davis' abrupt retirement after the game.

"I never have seen that," Alexander said. "Pop Warner, high school, pros. Never heard of it. Never seen it. It's just completely disrespectful to his teammates. ... He didn't say nothing to nobody. I found out going into the second half of the game. They said he's not coming out, he retired. That's it."

After the game, Davis released a statement on social media.

He talked about the physical toll of the game and said that while he was on the field Sunday, he didn't feel right and wondered if he wanted to keep going.

"And truthfully, I do not because the season is long, and it's more important for me and my family to walk away healthy than to willfully embrace the warrior mentality and limp away too late," he said in the statement.

"This was an overwhelming decision, but I'm at peace with myself and my family."

Davis started Sunday's game but was not seen on the field or on the sideline in the second half. The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime.

"I don't have nothing to say about Vontae," Alexander said after the game. "I'm going to give him a little bit more respect than he showed us today, as far as quitting on us in the middle of the game."

Davis, 30, was a healthy scratch for the Bills' regular-season opener in favor of Phillip Gaines, who started the Bills' 47-3 loss in Week 1 to the Baltimore Ravens. Gaines played nickel cornerback for the Bills on Sunday after an injury to rookie Taron Johnson in the season opener.

The Bills signed Davis to a one-year deal in February that included a $2.25 million base salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus. Of his base salary, $2 million is fully guaranteed. He also was due roster bonuses of $15,625 per game on the 53-man roster and $46,876 per game on the 46-man game-day roster.

McDermott, talking about how he will address Davis' departure moving forward, said, "When I get back in here, we'll continue to communicate on what exactly is going on there and we'll go from there."

In other defensive developments, McDermott took over playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier in the second half of Sunday's game.

"I just felt like we needed a spark," McDermott said. "That's my background. Coach Frazier does a really good job, as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed a spark."

McDermott said he would evaluate the playcalling situation and "a lot of other things" after the loss.

The Chargers gained 284 yards in the first half, the most the Bills have allowed before halftime since 2013.

Buffalo allowed only three second-half points after McDermott took over playcalling duties.

"I didn't change all that much, honestly," McDermott said. "I thought the defense played with a lot of energy in the second half. I'll give the players credit: They battled. ... It was almost the tale of two halves. I thought we battled and played some Buffalo Bill football at times in the second half, at times. Not enough, still. But in the first half, no way was that good enough."

McDermott tabbed Frazier as his defensive coordinator upon being hired as Bills coach in 2017. Frazier served as the Minnesota Vikings' coach from 2010 through 2013.

"Sean has been a defensive coordinator in his career," Alexander said. "He's the head coach, and he felt the need that he needs to step in. That's his prerogative as the head coach. He has that freedom to do it. Obviously, Leslie is not a prideful guy. He'll step aside, and we'll go back to work next week. I don't think there's going to be any issue there with that, just understanding who Leslie is and what he's all about. He's all about winning. If Sean felt like he needed to do that, he did it."

Edited by Doc Reeves

• 5 years later...

Most players are lucky if they have a career like Vontae Davis. Still, guys like that are but another cog in the big football machine. When their usefulness is up, they are cast aside and forgotten. It's fucking sad to think about.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most players are lucky if they have a career like Vontae Davis. Still, guys like that are but another cog in the big football machine. When their usefulness is up, they are cast aside and forgotten. It's fucking sad to think about.
I get what you're saying, but there is a reason landing on an NFL roster and playing as long as possible is the goal for many CFB players. What other job can get you over $700k (rookie minimum) to double digit millions (QB's like Mahomes) even if they don't finish their degree? Depending on what position they play, even 4-5 years can set up a player with a good financial base, and retiring at such a young age means they have plenty of time to start their own business, invest or even the luxury of doing a job that doesn't pay what the NFL did but they've always wanted to do..such as coach in HS, CFB or become a trainer for young athletes.

Obviously for guys like Vontae Davis none of that matters, but too often mental issues for men idek left untreated, and thats sad.
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, ousux said:

I get what you're saying, but there is a reason landing on an NFL roster and playing as long as possible is the goal for many CFB players. What other job can get you over $700k (rookie minimum) to double digit millions (QB's like Mahomes) even if they don't finish their degree? Depending on what position they play, even 4-5 years can set up a player with a good financial base, and retiring at such a young age means they have plenty of time to start their own business, invest or even the luxury of doing a job that doesn't pay what the NFL did but they've always wanted to do..such as coach in HS, CFB or become a trainer for young athletes.

Obviously for guys like Vontae Davis none of that matters, but too often mental issues for men idek left untreated, and thats sad.

Yep. Plenty of 35 year old men killing themselves that didn't make the league.

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Agreed. I’m feel fortunate I never made millions playing football.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The league sets aside over two BILLION dollars a year for NFL pensions, health insurance, etc.  Cast aside is not the term I would use to describe how the league treats retired players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Agreed. I’m feel fortunate I never made millions playing football.

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The league sets aside over two BILLION dollars a year for NFL pensions, health insurance, etc.  Cast aside is not the term I would use to describe how the league treats retired players. 

This is exactly what I mean though. When they are on the field they are seen as gladiators. They are looked up to and told how great they are. When they are done they are forgotten and usually left with a lot less function in their body than other people in their age group. And God forbid they mention that or complain about it or if someone feels sympathy for them. Why should we feel sympathy for dudes that have all that money? As if there is some sort of financial barometer for whom we're allowed to feel sympathy for or relate to. If being an ex NFL player is so great then what's with the high suicide rate?

Edited by Pam Cummings

This is exactly what I mean though. When they are on the field they are seen as gladiators. They are looked up to and told how great they are. When they are done they are forgotten and usually left with a lot less function in their body than other people in their age group. And God forbid they mention that or complain about it or if someone feels sympathy for them. Why should we feel sympathy for dudes that have all that money? As if there is some sort of financial barometer for whom we're allowed to feel sympathy for or relate to. If being an ex NFL player is so great then what's with the high suicide rate?
Nobody is saying NFL players don't deserve sympathy when their playing days are over and some have various issues from their playing days, but like any other career..they enter it by choice and know the risks very well after playing high level college football. Beyond the money they make in the league, even a very short career can be a springboard to lucrative sports media jobs. (look at the Acho brothers, neither were really superstars in CFB or NFL)

Just like any other profession, some will wisely take care of their money, some won't. Some will use their NFL player status to make more in "retirement" (even with very few years in the league in some cases) while some superstars with long careers accruing double digit millions will find themselves pretty much broke and destitute just a few short years after the money stops coming in.

There are very good reasons why even college players that werent starters at any school they attended still try to at least become a UDFA, and those guys would love the chance to be "gladiators" even if that means being cast aside someday.

👆🏻All of that and you can do almost anything you want and keep your job.

You can have multiple illegitimate children with child support issues, beat up a woman, get into a bar fight, escape the scene of an accident, murder someone, sexually assault 6 handfuls of masseuses, drive drunk, steal from a mall, do cocaine before you play, cuss out your bosses, blast everyone around you on social media, skip practice, show up late, openly cheat on your spouse, abuse your child, wire fraud and a few other things….and keep your job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If being an ex NFL player is so great then what's with the high suicide rate?

Lots of hits to the head would be my guess.  

That and the loss of purpose that can come from ending a football career.  For most of these players football wasn't just a game, it was literally what defined them since Pop Warner.  Then it's just over in a blink.  That could be hard to deal with.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Vontae Davis (RIP) retires from football...at half time
7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. They could definitely do a better job of providing for former-players.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Lots of hits to the head would be my guess.  

That and the loss of purpose that can come from ending a football career.  For most of these players football wasn't just a game, it was literally what defined them since Pop Warner.  Then it's just over in a blink.  That could be hard to deal with.

It can also be quite a jolt to one's self worth to realize you're now just another faceless schlub punching a timeclock until the sweet release of death. First half of your life you were feted like a King by everyone you encountered. Then you're a nobody only vaguely remembered by diehards. It's gotta be a hard fall from elite to regular. Thank god I've managed to contain myself to mediocrity.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It can also be quite a jolt to one's self worth to realize you're now just another faceless schlub punching a timeclock until the sweet release of death. First half of your life you were feted like a King by everyone you encountered. Then you're a nobody only vaguely remembered by diehards. It's gotta be a hard fall from elite to regular. Thank god I've managed to contain myself to mediocrity.

Doesn’t seem like he was doing too bad, just a big time bummer he seemed like an all around good guy not a whole lot of crazy shit and drama surrounding his career. 

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

He retired at halftime of the second game of the season. He had just made it through the part that a bunch of guys get 'cast aside '- training camp. Walked away from his $5 M salary 

He had a $5 million salary to play a game. Cast aside? He walked off the field in the middle of a game. Cast aside? If these guys play their cards right and have a lick of sense they have huge advantages in civilian life whether it’s business or coaching or media or whatever.

You’re concerned about a high suicide rate with football players that made it. There’s way more that were in that top percentile that we’re just an eyelash not good enough that never stuck. You always talk about these players like they are a underclass of the downtrodden.

You want to see a real underclass of folks cast aside? Go to a VA hospital. I suggest dropping by the huge one in Dallas and get a whiff of real societal bullshit and see real abandonment. Folks that chose to serve and lost faces and arms, have severe psych issues, or are suffering severe addictions. Real heroes that are hidden away and ignored.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. They could definitely do a better job of providing for former-players.

In what ways?  I do hear ex NFL players say the health insurance (fully vested of course) is excellent, they talk about doing those yearly full body scans, great medical/dental/prescriptions/etc. on top of whatever they earned for pension per the CBA. That has to be a top 1% deal for corporations for ex employees that can live an additional 70 years after retirement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

In what ways?  I do hear ex NFL players say the health insurance (fully vested of course) is excellent, they talk about doing those yearly full body scans, great medical/dental/prescriptions/etc. on top of whatever they earned for pension per the CBA. That has to be a top 1% deal for corporations for ex employees that can live an additional 70 years after retirement. 

I agree except for that last part.

Their causes of death in the period of 1979 to 2013 were gleaned from preexisting databases and, in some cases, state agency death certificates.

The 517 former NFL players who died during that 35-year period did so at an average age of 59.6 years….

https://www.science.org/content/article/former-football-pros-die-faster-rate-baseball-veterans-and-reasons-are-surprising

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:17 AM, markstanco said:

On 4/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, markstanco said:

I know an 11 yr vet who gets 65k a year from the NFL pension. 65k aint shit nowadays, especially when he played back in the late 70s thru early 90s.  I don't know anything about the insurance part though.  Who knows, could be great!

18 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I know an 11 yr vet who gets 65k a year from the NFL pension. 65k aint shit nowadays, especially when he played back in the late 70s thru early 90s.  I don't know anything about the insurance part though.  Who knows, could be great!

From what I’ve read, $65k a year is a better pay out than most people’s 401ks that retired in the 90s

65k is pretty solid if your house is paid off.

On 4/2/2024 at 3:42 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

I wonder if he had a heart attack? Obviously no one knows how he passes, but I'd be curious to know. A lot of young men are having them. 

how many is "a lot"?