2018 Ryder Cup: USA v. Europe

Jive Turkey

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Yet you think more match play experience is the answer. As if that allows you to hit fairways and hole putts on a more consistent level

I think I would take most of the Americans in a stroke play event over most of the euros. I'm not saying it is the only factor, but I think it is one and it certainly seems to be a trend over the past 20 years or so. 

once I saw the rough this place had there was no way we were going to win.  we have a bunch of PGA Tour players.  Europe has golfers and the biggest key is they are better putters. Our guys do well because on tour they can hit driver everywhere but know "where to miss it".

I knew Dechambeau and Mickelson were a waste.  Fowler is a huge disappointment.  we probably should have tried to split up Thomas and Spieth.   Koepka played well but didn't have his putter.  Finau was OK.  Fucking humble pie for that asshat Patrick Reed.  would be better to send his ass out by himself.

Alternate shot is a killer for us.

embarassing all around.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, former alkie said:

Tiger Woods does little to nothing to help inspire the US team.

One would expect more from a seasoned vet.

He carries himself around the course, like he just got out of chemo.

Woods wasn’t raised to be a team player, his dad made sure of that. One reason I found it funny he wanted to become a seal. 

He should be embarrassed of his Ryder cup record 

Edited by tx 3 putt

I believe there are a number of reasons why we struggle playing in this format.

The biggest in my opinion is, and I know some won’t like hearing this. The US players in general are a pretty pampered bunch. As ridiculous as it may sound, we would probably fair better pulling the top 12 guys from the web.com tour and sending them over to compete. Guys who are still hungry, and don’t have the bank accounts our pros have.

The second point is our captain. In truth he ain’t in charge of shit. If he was he would pick and pair them to actually win. And not allow the players to pick who plays with whom. The reality is that he is forced to treat this as entertainment, because in truth that is what it is for us, entertainment. The players don’t even try to hide it anymore. There are sub-sets of the team that all have different agendas. You can’t develop a cohesive effort when you are forced to acquiesce to the whims of the players. If we REALLY wanted to win, a lot of guys would get their feelings hurt. And you would see some confrontation on occasion when someone fucks up. But, that wouldn’t play well once this thing was over.

Television. That’s right, television. This is like a reality show. No matter how many times Sir Nick Faldo declares it is a bigger pressure cooker then any major, I say he is full of shit. Some of our guys look as if they  could care less. Sure, they like having it on their resume. And do want to win...but on their own terms. But privately, to a man they would ALL take a major title over this exhibition.

Precedent. Going back to the early 70’s the US was unable to find a single motocross rider that could win the world championships....in any classification. I rode a Yamaha works bike from 74 - 76. I am fully aware of the multiple strategies deployed in an attempt to identify and correct this problem. The manufacturers needed the US market desperately. And were willing to spend the money to find someone, anyone, who could dethrone the DeCoster’s and Mikkola’s of the world. It got so bad they were instrumental in developing Supercross. The data supported that to win those events required the riders to essentially live overseas 6 months a year. And those of us that rode in those years couldn’t or wouldn’t consider that. So we used to just sigh, and state, if you can’t beat em, invent a different sport. Since that time the revenue earned by Supercross events makes the World Moto seem like a local event in West Texas. Unless you spend a lot of time overseas it is extremely difficult to compete at a high level in a one shot winner take all event. The Euro’s on the other hand spend a huge amount of time over here. Hell, look how many live in Jupiter Florida. And ain’t none of our guys going to entertain, even for a second to agreeing to living over there just to get acclimated and feel comfortable for this one event.

16 hours ago, dcar00 said:

once I saw the rough this place had there was no way we were going to win.  we have a bunch of PGA Tour players.  Europe has golfers and the biggest key is they are better putters. Our guys do well because on tour they can hit driver everywhere but know "where to miss it".

I knew Dechambeau and Mickelson were a waste.  Fowler is a huge disappointment.  we probably should have tried to split up Thomas and Spieth.   Koepka played well but didn't have his putter.  Finau was OK.  Fucking humble pie for that asshat Patrick Reed.  would be better to send his ass out by himself.

Alternate shot is a killer for us.

embarassing all around.

yea, splitting up the team that went 3-1 would be fucking brilliant

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

All of the excuses of what kind of golf is played in the US vs Europe is pretty silly these days, it's not like the Euro tour plays on links courses every week and most of the top guys are basically full time PGA players and how many don't come to the US to play college golf? 

With Koepka's experience on European Tour, he should dominate in this Ryder Cup.... He's won 2 Majors this year...

Edited by LTtxfan