• 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70-79
    • 80+

5 hours ago, workswithseed said:

25. I figured there would be a lot more younger people on here than 7.

gotta remember the poll is not in genpop, but CR...

That's definitely a factor.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, sucks to have finally say 40. Trying to decide when to kick start the mid life crisis car buying streak. Had one lined up to buy for my birthday, but didn’t pull the trigger.

Oh wait till 50 clicks into your life.  40 was a walk in the park.  Don't think I had a mid life crisis other than, fuck 50 ??..... it's half way over.

Interesting how few college age posters are here considering that this is a side forum for a college sports forum. I wonder what the demographics of surly as a whole are.
Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly were/is a harsh environment for the 18-26 demographic. The moment that age pops up, all the angry olds show up to remind them how little they know of the real world and how they have articles of clothing older than them.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
55 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
Interesting how few college age posters are here considering that this is a side forum for a college sports forum. I wonder what the demographics of surly as a whole are.

Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly were/is a harsh environment for the 18-26 demographic. The moment that age pops up, all the angry olds show up to remind them how little they know of the real world and how they have articles of clothing older than them.

This can be true. I joined in shaggy in 2008 when I was 23. I didn't experience any angry older posters coming at me gripping about my lack of life experience. Then again, If they had, I had already been on 2 deployments and lost my mother when I was 17. So life experience wasn't something I was lacking then. a lot of people then and still now still don't have any real life experience in my age demographic though.

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
59 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Beyond theoretical concepts exactly what life experience does somebody under the age of 25 bring ?  They've just graduated college, have prbeen 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

19 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

you are a dumb old man.

Yeah whatever .  At 25 you've just graduated college, have been supported by your parents more than likely, haven't had to do anything other than worry about grades, summer internships and paying taxes for part time summer jobs (which means you probably get a $50 return).

Your life experiences have been centered around you, and not a wife and family to raise and provide for. You've voted in 2 presidential elections, and unless you were paying  attention to politics growing up haven't really dealt with that arena either, and are still in the that's not fair world commentary about lifes obstacles.  You don't have kids (probably). Your still very much learning your profession, if you've landed a first job in your chosen career path.

It's not a knock, its just reality for many people. Your priorities, and life experiences  are just different than somebody who's gone thru all of that. Obviously there are exceptions to that scenario, but they're outside the norm for most folks that go to college.

People who go to work right after HS have a very different experience.  They're probably a bit more savvy about what actual real world life is going on around them because they had to dive in sooner than a kid who's spent 4-5 years in college (which is defenitely not real world life).

46 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Beyond theoretical concepts exactly what life experience does somebody under the age of 25 bring ?  They've just graduated college, have prbeen 

46 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

This can be true. I joined in shaggy in 2008 when I was 23. I didn't experience any angry older posters coming at me gripping about my lack of life experience. Then again, If they had, I had already been on 2 deployments and lost my mother when I was 17. So life experience wasn't something I was lacking then. a lot of people then and still now still don't have any real life experience in my age demographic though.

Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.

Like I said different life experiences for different people. Read my follow up. I tried to edit the first post, to explain my comment, but the time limit ran out sitting in the Chik fil a line. I don't throw out the, yer a kid so you have no idea what your talking about  line around here as a rule.

Yeah, it 25, I already had been married 2 years, had a 2 year old son, spent 6 years in the Marines.

Where I will agree with Onboard, is that the experience is VASTLY different from that of the kid who went to college right out of high school for 4-5 years and is still getting established.

Conversely, i have a brother in his 50s, never been married, never had a kid, and has just done basically the same job for most of his life.  That seems boring as fuck to me, but when it comes to voting and how we view politics, we are about 95% on the same page.

i disagree with the broad brush of 'age generalizations.' My voting hasn't changed with age, aside from my stance on legalization of some drugs.  My core beliefs are the same.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

I joined Shaggy after the 2010 season (porta-potty girl and craps MILF brought me over).  I was 22.  Been here ever since.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't need to know about their life experience.  I need to know what the newest bets pron sites are.  

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh wait till 50 clicks into your life.  40 was a walk in the park.  Don't think I had a mid life crisis other than, fuck 50 ??..... it's half way over.

Half way over? You gonna live to be 100?

Seriously though, I feel the same mostly as I ever did now that I am 50. What brings it home to me is looking at my dad and his age at significant landmarks in my life. To me my dad was always old but, he wasn't. At least according to how I felt at those same ages.

He was 28 when I was born. 33 when I went to K-school. 46 when I graduated from High school. Shit, my dad was younger than I am now when I graduated from HS!!! He was so old and could never understand me at 18!!!

He's still kickin'. 79 yro now. Still an amazing source of my inspiration in life.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Half way over? You gonna live to be 100?

Seriously though, I feel the same mostly as I ever did now that I am 50. What brings it home to me is looking at my dad and his age at significant landmarks in my life. To me my dad was always old but, he wasn't. At least according to how I felt at those same ages.

He was 28 when I was born. 33 when I went to K-school. 46 when I graduated from High school. Shit, my dad was younger than I am now when I graduated from HS!!! He was so old and could never understand me at 18!!!

He's still kickin'. 79 yro now. Still an amazing source of my inspiration in life.

Well, at 50 you figure best case it's half over, so that's really my feeling on that. 50 was a slap in the face. I kind of lost my mojo for several months.  I had to re focus my life and goals going forward.  I think what did it for me was I said fuck it, I'm 50. I've been busting my ass for me, the wife and the kids. The kids were just about out of the house for good, so I said I want to have fun again, and live for me and the mrs. (not that we didn't have a fucking blast raising the kids, but that's a different kind of fun and satisfaction).

I've made it a goal that I don't want to worry about shit I can't control, and don't want any unnecessary BS, or drama. I want to do what I want to (when I can of course) and start traveling as much as possible.

My mom was 19 when I was born my dad was 22. Coincidentally the wifes mom was 19 as well.  We both grew up with our parents, grand parents and both sets of great grandparents. That doesn't happen now like it did back in the 50's and 60's.  It was something I miss more and more as I age.