Postgame Thoughts...

Longhornmaniac8

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Defensive meltdown was disconcerting. Hard to tell if it was fatigue or lack of effort.

I think fatigue. They had exerted a lot of energy in holding OU for the majority of the game. They weren’t getting much rest once our offense went conservative.

Also think some of it is injury related. Stearns wasn’t his usual self in the 4th. 

16 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I mean, look at the drive chart. We had punted the ball once until our offense went into conservative mode. Those two 3-and-outs and one 6-and-out completely killed any momentum we had. 

Edit: It wasn't the offense, per se, it was the playcalling holding penalties

fify

57 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It still amazes me all the people blaming the offense and not the defense in the 4th quarter. Yes, we should've kept the foot on gas and not go to victory formation with 10 minutes left. But hear me out. Is it that crazy to expect the defense to not blow a 21 point lead when you've held them to 24 the previous 3 quarters? 

It’s not if it’s 1992. 

Its is if it’s 2018 Big XII football.  A lot of traditional football truisms fall by the wayside in a league set up to run hyper offenses. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s not if it’s 1992. 

Its is if it’s 2018 Big XII football.  A lot of traditional football truisms fall by the wayside in a league set up to run hyper offenses. 

I hear you. But... 3 straight drives?

And I'm pretty sure that Murray run was the 1st play of the series so all this talk about being gassed is a bit much.

Again. Fuckery all around on both sides of the ball. Haven't rewatched yet so I don't know if it was play calling or players. I'm sure it's a little of both and ou's offense being game like. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

My post-game thoughts are that my wife, my toddler, and I all put on our burnt orange best (shirts, hats, cheerleader uniform, etc.) and went to do random family things in downtown San Antonio yesterday after the game and so many people were shouting out GREAT GAME, HOOK EM, etc. to us. It was a very nice feeling after having lived in another state for two years during the dark times where you'd say "hook em" to the one in a million person wearing UT gear and there'd be an almost desperate "thank you" like you'd hear from a man who'd just crawled out of the desert upon being offered water from a well.

Edited by triplelonghorn

20 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

And I'm pretty sure that Murray run was the 1st play of the series so all this talk about being gassed is a bit much.

Again. Fuckery all around on both sides of the ball. Haven't rewatched yet so I don't know if it was play calling or players. I'm sure it's a little of both and ou's offense being game like. 

On one of those, we had our third team DL in there and they ran down our throats. We have a depth problem on our DL. Really hope Roach comes back healthy and to the DL, and we get Coburn some meaningful snaps this season. Wilbon and Christmas-Giles is not gonna cut it inside, and though I really like Bimage/Graham, they aren't gonna play 80 plays either.

30 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Do you remember where did the same thing in 2016?  It’s modern, elite offensive football. 

I think going up 45-24 had a lot to do with both the offensive and defensive lapses.  Guys figured they had the game won so took it easy.  OL then got beat and had to hold to recover and the D which had held contain well through the game also got lazy.  Also on D, we subbed in guys who would not have played in a closer game.

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Do you remember where did the same thing in 2016?  It’s modern, elite offensive football. 

I guess we have different expectations for this defense if you can't see any fault or areas of improvement and chalk it up to them just being a great offense (which, again, I think they are.)

Sam was the best QB on the field yesterday.  His toughness, ability to sustain drives and ball security were the difference in the game.  Murray is spectacular and capable of making big plays but he and that OU offense gave us the ball back quickly most of the time whether by scoring, turnovers or with a punt.  Texas punished them by running 75 plays to their 58.  Frankly the Sooner defense looked spent by the late 2nd quarter.

I'm watching the recorded game and really can't believe the egregious holding I'm seeing so far.  I know we see it all the time and it seems it's rarely called (except on us) but we're not talking just handfuls of jersey, I'm talking handfuls of jersey in a complete bear hug.  On just about every down. 

If the refs are only going to call it a few token times a game then let it play, we should probably be working that into our technique.  If they see us just grab jersey and hold on it gets called a lot.  Go ahead and use the arms, that seems to fly with shitty B12 refs. 

Also in real time I didn't see what got dicker so worked up to begin with, just that he shoved big 97 after the first xp and then every time he got on the field he was getting into it with them. 

So Buj was congratulating dicker after the kick and 97 pushed him, that's when dicker gave 97 a good shove from behind.  

I personally think it's pretty awesome that our kicker doesn't take shit from the land thieves and wants to mix it up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Probably a combination of fatigue and losing focus with the 3 TD lead.

Several of the lapses late (including the TD pass) were zone defense where our guys got just the plain mixed up assignment-wise. I believe that was mental fatigue from dealing with some frankly creative playcalling from Riley.  It was like he had a different playbook for the first 5 minutes and the last 10 minutes of the game.  

Thought our D played great. 4th quarter was pretty much fatigue.

had we run the ball all 4th quarter, we could have easily run off 3-4 more min and given our D more rest. Instead we stopped the clock and essentially gave OU a free timeout, what, 4-5 times, at least?

also, on 3rd and anything less than 3 yards, run.the.fucking.ball.

our RBs were averaging almost 6ypc and here we are throwing the ball in the 4th quarter up 21. That was the ONLY mistake we made yesterday. Other than that, everyone played pretty badass

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Thought our D played great. 4th quarter was pretty much fatigue.

had we run the ball all 4th quarter, we could have easily run off 3-4 more min and given our D more rest. Instead we stopped the clock and essentially gave OU a free timeout, what, 4-5 times, at least?

also, on 3rd and anything less than 3 yards, run.the.fucking.ball.

our RBs were averaging almost 6ypc and here we are throwing the ball in the 4th quarter up 21. That was the ONLY mistake we made yesterday. Other than that, everyone played pretty badass

so we were throwing the ball or went conservative? It's like people were watching different games.

11 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so we were throwing the ball or went conservative? It's like people were watching different games.

I think we wanted to go conservative and give them heavy dose of Ingram.  But the zebras’ sudden decision to call holding on every run resulted in a weird wanna-be ball control pass-only plan that didn’t really work. 

16 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Question about rules.

So take the first drive in the 4th where we got the 2 holding penalties.  Half the distance, replay down, but clock runs. 

how many times could you false start to run clock before something in the rules stops that?  

Ref has the discretion to stop the clock if he feels that there are shenanigans going on.  Of course, in the XII, we could just have one of our OL put his hand on any DL and they would call holding.  The XII refs would probably be dumb enough not to catch on.  i think on that drive with the 3 holding calls, we ran off 3+ minutes.

My post-game thoughts are that my wife, my toddler, and I all put on our burnt orange best (shirts, hats, cheerleader uniform, etc.) and went to do random family things in downtown San Antonio yesterday after the game and so many people were shouting out GREAT GAME, HOOK EM, etc. to us. It was a very nice feeling after having lived in another state for two years during the dark times where you'd say "hook em" to the one in a million person wearing UT gear and there'd be an almost desperate "thank you" like you'd hear from a man who'd just crawled out of the desert upon being offered water from a well.
I went to the Publix Liquor store (hours Mon-Sat 10 am to 10 pm, Sun 10 am to 9 pm) to get some more tequila after the game wearing burnt orange Texas gear and got a couple of awesome games and Hook Ems.

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Also in real time I didn't see what got dicker so worked up to begin with, just that he shoved big 97 after the first xp and then every time he got on the field he was getting into it with them. 

So Buj was congratulating dicker after the kick and 97 pushed him, that's when dicker gave 97 a good shove from behind.  

I personally think it's pretty awesome that our kicker doesn't take shit from the land thieves and wants to mix it up.  

He doesn’t want to mix it up. Jesus Christ. He’s a small fry mouthing off because has back. You probably know the type.

That being said, haha. Dicker in your mouth, OU

Edited by Revolution512

6 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No. It was Boyd. Rewatch the play and you’ll see him on the other side of the formation trying to make his way over to the trips side when he ball is snapped. He settled under the slot, but likely that was Locke’s job, and Boyd was supposed to handle Brown. 

Not sure if you could tell on TV, but that play was completely on the coaches. The entire defense was looking at the sideline and they were slow getting the play in. OU snapped the ball before they signaled it in. They gave up a cheap one on that play for sure but I have a hard time blaming the players for it. 

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

First drive in the 4th quarter: holding, holding, run, run, pass, punt

Second drive: run, run, pass (1st down), run, run, pass, punt

Third drive: holding (on a running play!), pass, pass, pass, punt

So basically in those three forgettable drives the intent was very clearly to run the ball, and pass only if we were forced to. I think if we kept attacking their weak secondary with our superior WRs, we score on every possession, just like we had done on the previous three quarters.

The D didn't necessarily play a great game but they certainly got enough stops against what is one of the top offenses in the county that the game should not have been as close as it was. Coaches left the D out to dry in the 4th. Not that it excuses 21 points in the blink of an eye, but it is worth repeating. Really nice game for Foster, individually. His sack was incredible effort. Not many safeties play through a fairly well executed cut block. 

OU's defense is terrible, but the offense came well prepared to exploit their weaknesses. The game plan that resulted in a 45-24 lead was the perfect blend of ball control and strategic aggression. Sam played really, really well. Very few mistakes.

And the most important thing, as excruciating as the 4th quarter meltdown was to watch, we fucking beat OU. 

Edited by gmr548

Not sure if you could tell on TV, but that play was completely on the coaches. The entire defense was looking at the sideline and they were slow getting the play in. OU snapped the ball before they signaled it in. They gave up a cheap one on that play for sure but I have a hard time blaming the players for it. 

Yeah I thought a time out had been called or something the way our players weren’t lining up to play d. It was confusing

I have to wonder if Lincoln Riley had to promise Bob that he'd keep little brother Mikey around before the elder Stoops would turn the program over to him.

I’ve thought this the whole time too. But there has to be a time limit on that though doesn’t there?