Postgame Thoughts...

Longhornmaniac8

1 hour ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I mean, look at the drive chart. We had punted the ball once until our offense went into conservative mode. Those two 3-and-outs and one 6-and-out completely killed any momentum we had. 

Edit: It wasn't the offense, per se, it was the playcalling.

I would say If shack had not decided to start tackling linebackers we would have done the same thing we did all game.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

—Yancy McKnight is earning his paycheck. We beat the hell out of them physically.

—Keontay and Sam should be an increasingly deadly duo.

—Colin Johnson’s best game as a Horn, for my money.

—BJ Foster and Brandon Jones were huge today.

—Caden Stearns didn’t have his best game. Almost seemed like he was dinged up.

—As bad as some of the late offensive calls were, we were hamstrung by the holding penalties.

—Kyler Murray is electric. OU sucks, but that kid is incredible. Glad we don’t have to see him after this year.

—Lincoln Riley is an excellent playcaller.

—Dicker.

Agree with Caden assessment..... looked  slow on Murray's long TD run, and badly missed tackle on BlowU 's final TD....

Hope Ingram gets healthy..... Maybe he skips Baylor Game and with Off Week that follows, wouldn't have a game again till Oct 27th vs Okie Lite.

1 hour ago, txbroadcaster said:

I think Herman saw how Mack always tried to play down the big game and it stuck with him as he moved up the coaching ranks. Problem is he has fallen in the trap that Brown was always trying to fight. When you tell your team certain games in the season are the big ones, you then have to make sure they still show up enough in the little games. That is where UT is now. They will absolutely play to their opponent and that is great in the big games but frustrating as hell in the Maryland games of the world. 

That’s not at all the message he echoed during today’s post-game presser.  

That was one of the first TX/OU games I’ve ever seen where UT just flat out physically ass whipped the Sooners. 

Even when an OU player would try and get chippy a Texas player would just knock them around. 

The Texas receivers just knocked around OUs DBs. 

Loved it

14 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Thoughts on this game after the dust has settled a bit:

-Ehlinger played easily his best game as a Horn today. He's done that a few times this year, which means he's really starting to improve. His overall management of the game, ball control, and decision-making have improved immensely from the Maryland game. He made all the right plays today, and put this offense on his shoulders.

-Keaontay Ingram is a future Heisman contender, if he can stay healthy. He has that "it" factor I haven't seen from a Texas back in while (probably Charles/Benson).

-The defense forced OU to run the ball. For most of the game, Texas' secondary was absolutely stout, not giving Murray the little windows he's used to finding. They were beat over the top once or twice, but you'd expect that against the quality of athletes that OU has at the WR and QB position. Murray can create windows to throw in by sucking the safeties up to respect his running ability. By and large, they kept the game in front of them, which was a huge boost to the overall defensive effort.

-This game was not as close as the final score would indicate. Let me be very clear, I was shitting bricks as soon as I saw the comeback begin, and Texas easily could have lost the game. In that sense, yes, it was that close. What I do mean is that Texas dominated the trenches, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. The Red River Shootout usually (not always, but usually) comes down to which team wants it more. That was obviously Texas for all but about a 5 minute stretch of the game. OU is good enough to punish that kind of lapse, but if Texas' playcalling hadn't gone into a shell with 10 minutes to go, and even despite that, if they hadn't committed a few unnecessary penalties in those sequences, we wouldn't be talking about a nail-biter for the ages, we would've been talking about a well-deserved ass kicking. There was no evidence OU's defense could stop Texas' balanced offense had they not limited the playbook, especially when they needed three stops on 3 possessions. I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw Texas running the game clock when we got the ball back up 21 early in the 4th. I knew our playcalling was going to get conservative, and being one-dimensional is a great way to let OU back into the game.

-OU is soft. I don't mean this a typical, disparaging way fitting of an arch-rival, but their whole team, save for their RBs, seems to shy away from contact. Murray folds like paper when he feels pressure. He doesn't like to step up in a congested pocket. Their defense didn't seem remotely interested in making any solid tackles. There were multiple 3rd and longs where their unwillingness to wrap-up directly led to Texas finding themselves in a 4th and short, instead of a 4th and 7 or so had they just put a decent contact on the receiver. Both of those led to points.

Honestly, it reminded me too much of Texas teams in the early 2000s against OU. Those games came down to effort; both teams were similarly stacked, and yet despite that, it was more often than not a complete ass-kicking.

In stark contrast, since Charlie Strong got to campus, Texas seems to have been playing this game with a physicality and intensity it lacked during the Mack years. Sure, we've split the last 6 meetings, but Texas came into all of those as the underdog. And every one of the last 5 games was a one-possession game. All in a dumpster-fire era for Texas.

So what's the prognosis? I've still yet to see Texas play a 4-quarter football game this year. We've played three 3-quarter games (USC, TCU, and OU), but I'm still searching for that dominant, 4-quarter performance where the game was never in doubt from the opening kick.

Nailed it. GD post of the year.

Talk about an emotional roller coaster that I’m sure all of us went through. I got pissed at the kids just being around me when trashU started their comeback

REALLY disappointed that the play calling became so conservative starting Q3, and we went 3 and out several drives.

Nothing I would like more than to keep up the tempo until their assholes bled from a 73-21 pounding. 

Charles Omenihu is playing himself into a mid-round draft pick. He’s got all of the measureables - but now he’s actually translating it to production on the field. Another great game - he’s on pace to set career highs in sacks and TFLs in an Orlando defense that asks him to occupy blockers and keep the LBs clean.

thanks for this thread. my thoughts

1) got burned trying to burn clock. our offense works in hurry up and at a past pace. the oline lost its poise when we slowed down. something to very keenly notice and adjust to. not sure if you try to teach poise and focus and running teh clock out or you choose to not do that again and just run your regular offense. tough one. 

2) foster needs on the field at all times. that dude is a football player

3) the blown 70 yard TD to brown. that wasn't on 11, but 2. 2 got confused for the second time in the game when OU came out in trips. he was lazy and not paying attention and was crossing the formation when the ball was hiked. terrible play and almost blew the fucking game. 2 needs some fucking focus if he wants to play on sundays

4) get the ball to LJH and CJ. just do it. 

5) beck with some huge catches in this game. huge. 

great win. still hard. 

As far as a Culture Statement, the 1st offensive drive for TEXAS (5 plays, 75yds, TD) was a game changer imo.....

Matching BlowU's TD with a TEXAS TD proved to both Longhorn fans and the TEXAS players that we could beat the sooners......

Edited by LTtxfan

The stigma of OU dominance only exists in traumatized fans’ minds. UT teams have faced them unflinchingly for most of the decade. 

They have the perennial glass jaw of a bully. Get down early to them and they’ll usually romp all over you. Punch them square in the face and they don’t handle it well. Never have. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, staboner said:

thanks for this thread. my thoughts

1) got burned trying to burn clock. our offense works in hurry up and at a past pace. the oline lost its poise when we slowed down. something to very keenly notice and adjust to. not sure if you try to teach poise and focus and running teh clock out or you choose to not do that again and just run your regular offense. tough one. 

2) foster needs on the field at all times. that dude is a football player

3) the blown 70 yard TD to brown. that wasn't on 11, but 2. 2 got confused for the second time in the game when OU came out in trips. he was lazy and not paying attention and was crossing the formation when the ball was hiked. terrible play and almost blew the fucking game. 2 needs some fucking focus if he wants to play on sundays

4) get the ball to LJH and CJ. just do it. 

5) beck with some huge catches in this game. huge. 

great win. still hard. 

I thought Brandon Jones fucked up the TD to Brown but trying to forget that play

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

As far as a Culture Statement, the 1st offensive drive for TEXAS (5 plays, 75yds, TD) was a game changer imo.....

Matching BlowU's TD with a TEXAS TD proved to both Longhorn fans and the TEXAS players that we could beat the sooners......

I think you're absolutely right. OU's first possession looked exactly like I was worried it would look. It couldn't have been a more perfect start if you were OU. It was methodical and dominating. Texas absolutely needed a statement drive to believe that we could hang with the potency of their offense. To do it in big chunks the way we did absolutely set the tone for the remainder of the day on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

No. It was Boyd. Rewatch the play and you’ll see him on the other side of the formation trying to make his way over to the trips side when he ball is snapped. He settled under the slot, but likely that was Locke’s job, and Boyd was supposed to handle Brown. 

yeah this. i saw it live and just knew we were fucked. unbelievable 

I haven’t had a chance to watch the game yet, but a couple questions that were hard to see while watching it live.

I think it was in the 4th quarter and possibly the drive for the first touchdown of ou’s attempt to come back, but was there a delay of game not called?

Right after the game ended, one of our players procured himself an ou flag, took it to the Texas end zone and tore it up, threw it on the ground and stomped on it. Anyone know who that was? Any photos/video?

Their scheme really punishes lack of assignment football and having a top 1% athlete at QB magnifies the effect.  TCU plays good assignment football which is why they seem to usually hold them under their average.   That game in two weeks ought to be interesting.   One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about our defense is we seemed to wear out in the 4th quarter.  First time I’ve seen that.  Maybe this is where not subbing much early in the year is starting to catch up to us.  If we can get by Baylor the off week will be huge for the D.  

• Like 1

I haven’t had a chance to watch the game yet, but a couple questions that were hard to see while watching it live.

I think it was in the 4th quarter and possibly the drive for the first touchdown of ou’s attempt to come back, but was there a delay of game not called?

Right after the game ended, one of our players procured himself an ou flag, took it to the Texas end zone and tore it up, threw it on the ground and stomped on it. Anyone know who that was? Any photos/video?

Definitely delay of game. Lincoln didn't the timeout called in time

It still amazes me all the people blaming the offense and not the defense in the 4th quarter. Yes, we should've kept the foot on gas and not go to victory formation with 10 minutes left. But hear me out. Is it that crazy to expect the defense to not blow a 21 point lead when you've held them to 24 the previous 3 quarters? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Their scheme really punishes lack of assignment football and having a top 1% athlete at QB magnifies the effect.  TCU plays good assignment football which is why they seem to usually hold them under their average.   That game in two weeks ought to be interesting.   One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about our defense is we seemed to wear out in the 4th quarter.  First time I’ve seen that.  Maybe this is where not subbing much early in the year is starting to catch up to us.  If we can get by Baylor the off week will be huge for the D.  

when the other team has an 11 second drive that's not wearing out that's losing contain

Yeah, similar feeling to Shipley's early return for TD in 2008, in that we responded where a response seemed to be critical. The difference was that this was an actual, planned, offensive series as opposed to special teams magic.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There were 2. One supposedly wasn't because of timeout (BS) the other I can't remember if they were flagged or not. 

16 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Holy shit I'm on crazy pills. It's the offense's fault for giving up 21 points. Got it. 

Agree that was just a complete melt down on defense. Could've Tom stayed aggressive? Sure but who's to say he wasn't when we got called for holding 3..might've been 2 out of the last 4 drives and we're in the shadow of our own goal post. I'd rather stay conservative than Sam throw a pick and mind fuck him to where he's scared to fuck up down the stretch. 

• Like 1

I've never seen Texas dominate an OU team the way we did for the middle 45 or so minutes of that game.

Once we started to make Murray beat us with his arm and kept their speed guys in front of us, OU had nothing. They couldn't score, and they couldn't stop us.

The 4th quarter was junk all around but that's on our coaches for going too conservative against a dangerous team. Hopefully that's a lesson learned.

But when we needed to score to win, we drove right down and did it.

Domination, even at 48-45.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Defensive meltdown was disconcerting. Hard to tell if it was fatigue or lack of effort.

The ESPN guys said Locke was trying to buckle his chinstrap on that long TD to Brown. And our defense looked slow and totally out of position on that long ass Kyler Murray run. 

on Murray's long run Charles O went balls to the wall on an outside rush and the linebacker that had contain went inside the block for some insane reason, then it was over because Murrays fast as hell.