Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That photo reminds me of that 70's-era photo of the drunk older ladies in the shitty motel room with the drunk/high guy off to the right just staring blankly while people are passing out all around him.  

38 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Apparently you can? Tell me what it means.

"2020 Marxists" doesn't work in that meme on hypocrisy.

Alternatives:

• "Establishment Democrats" might fit (they would deny) or
  • "Establishment Republicans" (their policies favor wealth inequality) or
  • "Trumpers" (since they are a cult of personality and non-ideological/nonsensical).

TLDR: the right can't meme because they use words they don't understand. 

Time is a flat circle. Some day that meme as you saw it might work, but it is not this day. 

image.thumb.png.74578f09c667df255821628bf367f981.png

27 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

"2020 Marxists" doesn't work in that meme on hypocrisy.

Alternatives:

• "Establishment Democrats" might fit (they would deny) or
  • "Establishment Republicans" (their policies favor wealth inequality) or
  • "Trumpers" (since they are a cult of personality and non-ideological/nonsensical).

TLDR: the right can't meme because they use words they don't understand. 

Time is a flat circle. Some day that meme as you saw it might work, but it is not this day. 

image.thumb.png.74578f09c667df255821628bf367f981.png

Seeing how most Republicans want to open the market up more so than democrats which will get people away from places like Amazon, walmart, ect. Just being for. Open markets doesn't mean it goes straight to the rich, it means there's a choice to go or not go., Not so much in a command economy.

11 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Seeing how most Republicans want to privatize government functions more.

Tweaked it.

neoliberal theory practiced by Republicans (or Democrats) does not equal open markets. Quite the opposite.

The theory is based on efficiencies of scale.  Barriers to entry remain robust under neoliberal policies, which leads to domination of the markets by a small number of large enterprises. 

Edited by washparkhorn
Just so we are clear, efficiencies of scale are extremely important during a crisis (Covid, Pearl Harbor, . . . ) and efficiency improvements are always welcome under any economic policy (other than nihilist based arguments). And fuck the nihilists. .

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Okay, what in my statement is wrong?

Seeing how most Republicans want to open the market up

Uh, no. No, they most decidedly do not. The next Republican who has actually read Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" will be the first.

more so than democrats

Possibly, but debatable. Democrats are the center right party in this country. Republicans are center of the asylum. There are no non-big market capitalist parties.

which will get people away from places like Amazon, walmart, ect.

In what universe? No, just no. The logic behind the Godfather going towards monopoly is fully in post-modern effect in the current economy -- people want cheaper and faster. Amazon, Walmart, etc. are cheaper and faster. To get them away from that, you have to specifically incentivize, which means taxes on large companies and subsidies for small ones. I don't see either party, but especially not Republicans, going for that.

Open markets doesn't mean it goes straight to the rich

Sure, if you drop enough acid.

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Uh, no. No, they most decidedly do not. The next Republican who has actually read Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" will be the first.

Possibly, but debatable. Democrats are the center right party in this country. Republicans are center of the asylum. There are no non-big market capitalist parties.

That's why more so is in that sentence. There is a reason why most Republican states are open, while NY is about to close down again when finding out that less than 2% of spread is from dinning.

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

In what universe? No, just no. The logic behind the Godfather going towards monopoly is fully in post-modern effect in the current economy -- people want cheaper and faster. Amazon, Walmart, etc. are cheaper and faster. To get them away from that, you have to specifically incentivize, which means taxes on large companies and subsidies for small ones. I don't see either party, but especially not Republicans, going for that.

Sure, if you drop enough acid.

You don't think that Amazon looses out in business from millions of people going to thier local grocery store, or market? You're a hippy, do you only buy things from Amazon? If not, why not? Do you just do lots of acid?

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You don't think that Amazon looses out in business from millions of people going to thier local grocery store, or market? You're a hippy, do you only buy things from Amazon? If not, why not? Do you just do lots of acid?

If millions of people were going to their local grocery store or market, sure, they'd lose out.

That's not happening, and it's not going to happen, unless and until there are huge tax incentives (negative for big business, positive for small) making it happen.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If millions of people were going to their local grocery store or market, sure, they'd lose out.

That's not happening, and it's not going to happen, unless and until there are huge tax incentives (negative for big business, positive for small) making it happen.

You didn't address my first statement. 

Are you taking the Tucker Carlson approach? I can see why, but only while there are closed markets happening through mandates by the government. 

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You didn't address my first statement. 

Are you taking the Tucker Carlson approach? I can see why, but only while there are closed markets happening through mandates by the government. 

I live in a so called "closed" state; I assure you, the hippie stores are doing better here than they are in Boise. Republicans don't shop "local" unless you mean "the local Walmart".

28 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I live in a so called "closed" state; I assure you, the hippie stores are doing better here than they are in Boise. Republicans don't shop "local" unless you mean "the local Walmart".

I can't think of a state that is truly as open as we were before the pandemic. Yeah, maybe they don't like cool local beers/ciders. I can name a few here that do.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, workswithseed said:

That's why more so is in that sentence. There is a reason why most Republican states are open, while NY is about to close down again when finding out that less than 2% of spread is from dinning.

How in the fuck would anyone know that "less than 2%" of the spread is from dining?

That is some Fox News bullshit right there.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

How in the fuck would anyone know that "less than 2%" of the spread is from dining?

I don't think Penelope is a Fox News watcher.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And right as they announced that, they showed how many cases in NYC could be traced to restaurants and bars. 1.4%. Meanwhile, almost 80% are from private gatherings in homes. So....now they are talking about going back into full lockdown. Talk about ignoring the data.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Actually, this is data from New York State.  It was released the same day Cuomo called for a shut down of indoor dining after the vague 5th or 6th leading cause of spread without giving actual numbers.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/12/11/22169841/restaurants-and-bars-coronavirus-spread-data-new-york