Texas defense first series: 4 TDs, 1 FG, 1 int, 1 punt

XYZ

So far this season, the Texas defense has gotten the following results on the first series of the game: 4 TDs (Maryland, USC, OUsucks, BU), 1 FG (TCU), 1 INT (Tulsa), and 1 punt (KSU). That’s points allowed on 71% of opening series. On all defensive series other than the first series of the game, the other team scored only 27% of the time.

• Like 2

Orlando is a master at adjusting, but i always wonder what they did to prepare all week. It feels like he tells the D all week, we'll just go out and play whatever and then we'll see what the offense is doing and adjust. I know that's not what's happening but it is a little frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Orlando is a master at adjusting, but i always wonder what they did to prepare all week. It feels like he tells the D all week, we'll just go out and play whatever and then we'll see what the offense is doing and adjust. I know that's not what's happening but it is a little frustrating. 

Our LB's, Safeties, and Nickel are not exactly football geniuses back there and maybe it takes them a series to figure out what's going on.  Getting schemed/scripted against on the first series to take advantage of tendencies

It also seems like he tends not to blitz on the first series, at least not as much.  Our DL has trouble creating pressure without a blitz.  I don't recall very many sacks or pressures on first series.  Even if we did, the QB isn't back there patting the ball because the script is telling him where to go with it and our back end doesn't recognize.

We are learning how to win. I would love for us to knock teams out in the first series, put our boots on their throats, and play that way the whole game. We aren't there yet, but if we continue improving year over year as we have, we'll be doing that soon enough.

Last year, we were losing close games. This year, we're winning close games. I'll take it for now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

not just all week but what about the fucking offseason. clearly have a problem with game 1 period - top to bottom - and thats on Herman and the culture he is creating. 

the slow starts on defense in every game seems eerily parallel to me. 

not sure its scheme or attention, but some kind of tightness and hesitancy that the coaching style of putting on/into the players minds. 

1 minute ago, staboner said:

not just all week but what about the fucking offseason. clearly have a problem with game 1 period - top to bottom - and thats on Herman and the culture he is creating. 

the slow starts on defense in every game seems eerily parallel to me. 

not sure its scheme or attention, but some kind of tightness and hesitancy that the coaching style of putting on/into the players minds. 

We have sucked on first drive defense.... 9 missed tackles alone on the first drive vs Baylor.....

Orlando deserves criticism....

Winning close games in which we start slow on defense and can't score in the 4th quarter is better than losing those games. 

The defense has certainly regressed. And I'm not sure that we can still assume that Todd Orlando will get offered a high enough profile head coaching job this offseason, as I had assumed was going to happen. It's probably just as likely that he's still at Texas as DC next year as it is that he's gone. 

I can't figure out why the offense turtles up in the 4th. But hey. 6 and 1. I'll fucking take it.

• Haha 1

I would rather win all our games despite flaws in a potentially better defense than either lose another game or have to replace who I think is a solid DC just yet. I agree our performance has been disappointing on first drives and in some other ways. If we shut out everyone we play for the rest of the regular season versus win ugly, we are in basically the same place this year. But if we do, he gone.

tldr: I hope TO fixes what's wrong in time to win the CCG but too late to get a great HC job until after next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

I would rather win all our games despite flaws in a potentially better defense than either lose another game or have to replace who I think is a solid DC just yet. I agree our performance has been disappointing on first drives and in some other ways. If we shut out everyone we play for the rest of the regular season versus win ugly, we are in basically the same place this year. But if we do, he gone.

tldr: I hope TO fixes what's wrong in time to win the CCG but too late to get a great HC job until after next year.

In short, win rest of B12 games and struggle just enough on defense that TO stays at TEXAS for at least 2 more years....COOL 🤘

4 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

It would be moot if the offense could put up more than 35 on a regular basis to go along with a slow starting defense. The offense is just maddening.

Defense is maddening too this year.

Orlando's group sometimes gets off too easy as far as criticism this year....

LB's disappointing, DBs sucking on double moves and no pass rush.....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Meh, we had three opportunities in the 4th to win that game. Giving up the first score took the wind out of their sails, sure, but I don't think it was insurmountable. I was shitting more bricks with how the defense got carved up against OU than in that one.

As opposed to three opportunities to pad our lead?  Nice. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Nomenclature

2 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

Any idea how this compares nationally? I always thought offenses tend to have their first drive or two scripted out, so I wouldn’t find it too surprising that they have a higher success rate early on

If that's all it takes to score, why not script out all 4 quarters of offense?

I'm almost certain our defense is out to kill me this year.  JESUS...

Everytime I'm just about to lose it and throw something at the tv, I remember _iaz. 

I'm pretty sure he managed to give up 4 touchdowns and a field goal on more than one opening drive. And only 9 missed tackles on any play was a good thing.  

But at least that defense wasn't doing everything possible to bring on massive heart failure.

Everytime I'm just about to lose it and throw something at the tv, I remember _iaz. 
I'm pretty sure he managed to give up 4 touchdowns and a field goal on more than one opening drive. And only 9 missed tackles on any play was a good thing.  
But at least that defense wasn't doing everything possible to bring on massive heart failure.
They were giving me a heart attack on the last drive of the Baylor game. Especially letting them gain damn near 30yds on the first play. And let them keep driving and driving with no timeouts.

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

Read more  

They were giving me a heart attack on the last drive of the Baylor game. Especially letting them gain damn near 30yds on the first play. And let them keep driving and driving with no timeouts.

Baylor and OU back to back weeks.   I'm 50 and I'm not sure my heart can keep doing this the rest of the season.

• 2 weeks later...