2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is the general consensus that instead of using kawhi for young talent or picks,pop wanted one last go around with DD thinking he could pick up most of kawhis slack?

I wouldnt be surprised to see pop ride off before a tear down and rebuild. Hes an all timer already with nothing to prove...but DD seems to be delaying the inevitable by at least 1 year

No, I don't think that's the consensus at all.  Like most things, it's a complicated confluence of events which presented different perspectives during small bursts of time which led us this situation.  You have the death of Pop's wife, USA basketball commitments, the existing roster makeup, loyalty towards core players, PATFO's emotion and overall frustration in the situation, other team's perspectives and needs along with some's dysfunction, market restrictions, etc, etc.  Hard to say what Pop will want to do after the death of his wife and hard to know what their decision matrix is without knowing all the offers which were on the board.  I do think they wanted to send him East....

• Like 1

I couldn't envision Pop wanting to be a part of a rebuild. He has nothing left to prove, he's won 5 NBA Titles, Coach of the year numerous times and led an impressive streak of consecutive playoff appearances for two decades. It was one hell of a run, just a shame that a dirty, no good mother fucker brought on the beginning of the end with a cheap play in the Conference Finals several years ago. That is where things began to unravel.

Losing Murray hurt the team defensively, but ultimately even with Murray the Spurs would've been a fringe playoff team competing for a 6, 7 or 8 seed. The bench is awful this season and White/Forbes were never ready to assume major roles. White was expected to be a bench player and he was thrust into the lime light if only for a moment before his injury and Forbes was intended to be a player who was sparingly used. Marco is flat out bad, Patty's salary is a detriment and he's shot the team into massive deficits on several occasions, the shell of Pau Gasol is a handcuff salary and performance wise. Poetl will likely take a year to catch on and begin to make an impact. Defensively this is the worst I've ever witnessed the Spurs under Pop. I won't lie when I learned the Spurs were bringing back Pau on a "team friendly" deal I believed it was a good move, that is until the length of the contract and salary were revealed then my jaw dropped.

Edited by Chad

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This was because pau was out. Hes a twolf slayer

Not sure what the outdoor temp has anything to do with it unless the team plays outdoors in SA??

Dude don't be an idiot. Our best player only spent 9 years in Toronto. He isn't used to the cold at all. I'm surprised Demar was even able to suit up, to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I'd fire sale everyone.  The only "untouchables" for me would be Murray and Walker.  Everyone else is available including DD and LMA. I may be missing someone since I don't watch much these days, but I am completely ready for a complete rebuild.  

I don't want to get rid of Derozan. I don't see LW3 or 4 or wev the fuck as untouchable. Poeltl is absolutely, 100% untouchable. Dude has a high ceiling and is young and on a cheap contract. 

42 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I haven't even watched enough to know: do we have a hot sideline/studio chick this year?  We've gone through a couple of decent ones in the last few seasons. 

Haven't watched enough either but the blonde from last year was an absolute smoke show. 

Will the rest if you judge me if I adopt the Mavs to some degree?
I've been in Dallas for 4 years and been to a lot of games. And I don't feel like drowning myself in grain vodka when I watch them play.

Do you really need to ask this question? Adopt anyone but the fucking mavs. Fuck the mavs. Fuck Derek Fisher. Fuck Karl Malone. Fuck Zaza! Fuck desert fever. Fuck over the head no look passes in Game 7 on the road. Fuck Dennis Rodman. Fuck the water cannon. Fuck the Lakers! Fuck the jazz. Fuck the rockets. Fuck the Bullets. Fuck the Warriors.

But especially fuck the mavs!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Do you really need to ask this question? Adopt anyone but the fucking mavs. Fuck the mavs. Fuck Derek Fisher. Fuck Karl Malone. Fuck Zaza! Fuck desert fever. Fuck over the head no look passes in Game 7 on the road. Fuck Dennis Rodman. Fuck the water cannon. Fuck the Lakers! Fuck the jazz. Fuck the rockets. Fuck the Bullets. Fuck the Warriors.

But especially fuck the mavs!

Bro if the Mavs are #1 on your hit list you need to reexamine your priorities as a Spurs fan.

In what fucking universe does "fuck the Mavs" take precedent over "fuck the Lakers" 

Dallas has one title. Who gives a shit.

The water canon missed me with its rusty ejaculation by about 5 feet. So bless that night. Fuck that piece of shit and fuck anyone who wants to trade in their spurs fandom for the mavs. Maybe next time the horns start struggling in football I will start pulling for the aggies?Wtf, man? I hope Dallas loses every game until Marc Cuban is so old that he has to wear adult diapers. 

That said, I think it best for both the spurs and me to give each other some space this season. We've been together a long time and we've had some great times but we just aren't healthy for each other. I'm going to check in here and there and probably take the family to a couple of games where I can score some cheap ducats, but we both need some time to adjust to our new reality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bro if the Mavs are #1 on your hit list you need to reexamine your priorities as a Spurs fan.

In what fucking universe does "fuck the Mavs" take precedent over "fuck the Lakers" 

Dallas has one title. Who gives a shit.

Then why don’t you go root for them permanently. 

• Fuck You 1

Nice home win over Portland last night.  What struck me is how well we have to play just to get a win over a over .500 team at home.

We shot 60% from the field.  73% from 3 and 91% from the line.  Still was 5/6 point game with 7 minutes to go before we went on a run and eventually put them away.  When you're this bad at defense and don't shoot a lot of 3's, your offense has to be ultra efficient to win at home.  

Stars played well and Derrick White had a nice game.  So did Patty.... *ducks.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:36 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The water canon missed me with its rusty ejaculation by about 5 feet. So bless that night. Fuck that piece of shit and fuck anyone who wants to trade in their spurs fandom for the mavs. Maybe next time the horns start struggling in football I will start pulling for the aggies?Wtf, man? I hope Dallas loses every game until Marc Cuban is so old that he has to wear adult diapers. 

That said, I think it best for both the spurs and me to give each other some space this season. We've been together a long time and we've had some great times but we just aren't healthy for each other. I'm going to check in here and there and probably take the family to a couple of games where I can score some cheap ducats, but we both need some time to adjust to our new reality. 

I had that relationship with the Mavs the last few years.  I was a fucking ballboy as a kid and I still backed away for a year or two.  And I would never, under any circumstances, adopt the spurs.  I watched a lot of GS and Philly.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, Cajun said:

The Kawhi debacle set this franchise back a decade.  I wondered for awhile what would be the thing that would end the run.

That was definitely it.

Never saw it coming.

Spurs have been on borrowed time for a long, long time.  Robinson to Duncan/Ginobili/Parker gave us what, 2 decades of dominance?  Best winning % in major sports?  Best management, most coachable players, etc etc.  That shit doesn't last, we got very, very lucky against all odds.  San Antonio isn't a destination for free agents, and only Pop makes it even a conversation with "stars" like LMA.  Otherwise we are a step above Memphis with a lot more history.

The Association caught up.  Pop's coaches are everywhere, free agents got sick of losing to systems like Spurs and decided to buddy up and create super-teams so they could just out athlete people, and you combine the two and you get the Warriors.  I'm actually surprised it took this long, the NBA is traditionally faster to adapt and change systems on a team by team basis than the NFL or MLB.

We're going to set a record for most 20+ losses in a season..... Pop was quoted the other day that this team is sort of like an expansion team.  His point was most of these guys haven't played with each other.  But maybe the larger point remains.  We'll be 2nd to last in the West after the game ends.

2 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I did. Only because I met a friend of his at yard house outside the staple center.  I played it off about knowing he’s on the team and should get more burn 

Apparently he's played in 19 games? I've been checking box scores. I must have been willfully ignorant.

I know the front office and ownership feels they owe it to Pop to let him try, but at what point is everybody like, “nah, fuck it.” Players are quitting, the team isn’t very good, they have to play damn near perfect to beat anyone, and Pop is old. Can we all just move on? The fans won’t be pissed. They see the rebuild coming. Hell, it’s already here. Let’s just rip the fucking bandaids off and start losing. Because losing by thirty every night sucks when there’s no purpose in it. 

And yes I know i sound like a broken record.

21 minutes ago, Hate said:

I would love to see what we could get for DD and LMA.  They may be the only "tradable" pieces we have.  

Probably not much? They’re the antithesis of current NBA players. Who in the league needs a mid-range savant, small forward who plays little defense, or a mid-range savant, big man who plays little defense? This is a Bateman question. 

I think a full on rebuild is certainly the best option but I'm not sure we can get as much as we would like for DeRozan and LMA for the reasons stated above.  And it's not like we need to get rid of them to help us tank, we're currently on pace for a top 10 pick right now.  

As a spoiled 27 year old who just started watching the Spurs in 1998, it's hard watching this shit show, losing by 20 every night after what I've been accustomed to as a Spurs fan my whole life.  It's just been so hard to watch them this year.  

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

I know the front office and ownership feels they owe it to Pop to let him try, but at what point is everybody like, “nah, fuck it.” Players are quitting, the team isn’t very good, they have to play damn near perfect to beat anyone, and Pop is old. Can we all just move on? The fans won’t be pissed. They see the rebuild coming. Hell, it’s already here. Let’s just rip the fucking bandaids off and start losing. Because losing by thirty every night sucks when there’s no purpose in it. 

And yes I know i sound like a broken record.

There is some of the issue.  Peter Holt is ill and his wife is the de facto "owner".  We have RC and Pop, who are in lock step with each other and with their moves this offseason, obviously wanted to give it another go.  We can't do much until Dec 15th so I get it, play it out and try to improve but if we're still god awful on defense (we will be) and don't somehow get on a run (it'll be tough) by that time period or probably New Year's, then we need to look to start blowing it up.  Try and get in the top 5 and get lucky and get a top 2-3 pick.  Maybe we can get Zion if the ping pong balls cooperate.  This group maxing out isn't gonna do much, even if Murray was playing.  Maybe a bottom 4 seed and 5/6 game playoff series with old players.  Time to start rebuilding.  We already have a couple of pieces but we need to take it seriously and it starts with shedding salary.... If Pop and RC can't see this by mid January, then we're in a lot of trouble.  We don't have an owner who will press them on it and those guys are left to their own devices.  I think they're smart enough to see the writing on the wall if we're like 15-19 or something like that.

Losing 3 of the last 4 games in blowout fashion by 30+ points clearly leads me to believe the current roster isn't going to get it done and it's time to go all in on a rebuild.

Allowing Tony to walk and keeping Mills around was a mistake, having Tony to start in Murray's absence would've been beneficial because White/Forbes are struggling. Holding onto Kawhi until after the draft was a mistake. Bringing back Marco was a mistake. The minutes that Cunningham has been sucking up were a mistake. Not involving Bertans more and giving his minutes to Cunningham was a mistake.

It's time for a youth movement, in a matter of weeks if things haven't changed I'd begin making calls to dump off LMA, DDR and hopefully dump off Gasol and Mills as well. I'd much prefer enduring growing pains with a crop of young players with  potential opposed to a cast of vets who clearly aren't getting it done.