2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Did the call him Dwight Schmitt to avoid copyright issues?

god damn there is nothing in life i loathe more than iphone autocorrect. this is a typical day for me, with everyone who isn't Dennis Reynolds representing my iphone autocorrect:

Pierce probably should have just shut his mouth and allowed Wade to have his send off, but the whole 'who had a better career' isn't nearly ludicrous as some may think.  Pierce played longer and was better deeper in his career.  Wade was better at their peaks.  If you look at their careers in totality, then Pierce actually has a case.  If you look simply at their peak years then Wade is pretty clearly the better player.  Wade after say 32 years old was shot.  The last 5 years have not been kind to Wade who's game was always predicated on explosiveness and being able to finish at the rim.  Meanwhile, Pierce had arguably his best year at 30 and was really good at 33.  Wade's peak years of 24-30 are probably better than almost any of Pierce's best years although Pierce's prime were in some really dark years of offensive basketball.  I would chose Wade but it's not some insult for someone to say they'd prefer to have Pierce, who had the rep of being pretty clutch.  Haven't researched if it's deserved.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pierce claimed his career was greater than Wade's. Hence the shot at him.

He Wade was better than Isiah Thomas and AI too.   So that mean he thinks he is better than them too if he thinks he is better than Wade.

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Warriors vs Clippers

Nuggets vs Spurs

Blazers vs Thunder

Rockets vs Jazz

Crazy ending to the Western Conference

I think I recall the Thunder swept the Trailblazers this season, so this could be "interesting"... 

Edited by kopp0e

18 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I think I recall the Thunder swept the Trailblazers this season, so this could be "interesting"... 

Portland did their best to take a dive into the 4 seed, but Kings gonna Kings.

This series definitely has the most drama of the first round. Both OKC and Portland have mostly bad playoff reputations, and one is guaranteed to get worse. Either Dame and co. choke against a lower seed again. Or the triple-double machine and a top 3 MVP finisher complete their end of season decline, and can't beat a banged up opponent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

This series definitely has the most drama of the first round. Both OKC and Portland have mostly bad playoff reputations, and one is guaranteed to get worse. Either Dame and co. choke against a lower seed again. Or the triple-double machine and a top 3 MVP finisher complete their end of season decline, and can't beat a banged up opponent.

Well, I hope the Thunder win, but I like Dame ever since the "Droppin' Dimes" commercials... 😋

Dirk said something last night that made me appreciate him even more than I already did. 

“Thank you San Antonio. Thank you for tonight, and thank you for pushing me throughout my career to become a better player”

The phrase gets thrown around too losely, but with dirk and wade, last night was definitely the end of an iconic era in nba history. Also, it was fitting that Wade played his last game on the same night considering how intertwined their careers are. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Can anyone on Portland come close to bodying Adams?

I know I could post up kanter so whoever's after him

Yeah, if you don't love Dirk, fuck you. The 2011 championship was my all-time favorite Finals.

It's hard to separate Wade's bitch persona on the court with what seems to be a genuinely good dude off the court, but I try. And I can at least appreciate his greatness in his prime. Dude was fearless.

24 minutes ago, d2o said:

exactly, best season in more than a decade..................meh, fire the coach

Good for him. I wish we had a GM for the Cowboys that would quit accepting mediocrity and failure. Kings haven't been to the playoffs in about 13 years. Just because they had their best season in a decade equals to what in the end? The Titans fired their coach last season after winning a playoff game. Quit rewarding people for failure and mediocrity. And a lot of the times, it's about behind the scenes and their command in the locker rooms with the players in these firings.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good for him. I wish we had a GM for the Cowboys that would quit accepting mediocrity and failure. Kings haven't been to the playoffs in about 13 years. Just because they had their best season in a decade equals to what in the end? The Titans fired their coach last season after winning a playoff game. Quit rewarding people for failure and mediocrity. And a lot of the times, it's about behind the scenes and their command in the locker rooms with the players in these firings.

Like the Shaka Smart extension? Yeah that was fucking genious

Oh, and fuck DWade. Never could stand that douche

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good for him. I wish we had a GM for the Cowboys that would quit accepting mediocrity and failure. Kings haven't been to the playoffs in about 13 years. Just because they had their best season in a decade equals to what in the end? The Titans fired their coach last season after winning a playoff game. Quit rewarding people for failure and mediocrity. 

Interesting take.   If Joegger was the coach for all of those yrs I would agree.   This was his 3rd season and they showed great improvement.    Continuing with him and seeing if he can continue to build on this season would in no way be "rewarding him for failure and mediocrity"    The rumor is they want Luke Walton if he is let go by the Lakers so even I went with your rewarding failure take, wouldn't hiring Walton be the same thing?

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

Interesting take.   If Joegger was the coach for all of those yrs I would agree.   This was his 3rd season and they showed great improvement.    Continuing with him and seeing if he can continue to build on this season would in no way be "rewarding him for failure and mediocrity"

Don’t bring logic into this.

I think the "rewarding mediocrity" argument is dumb (the Kings are clearly still developing as a team and haven't come close to their ceiling yet) but there's something to be said about potential rifts behind the scenes with Joerger. The Memphis exit was a bit of a head-scratcher at the time, too.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Interesting take.   If Joegger was the coach for all of those yrs I would agree.   This was his 3rd season and they showed great improvement.    Continuing with him and seeing if he can continue to build on this season would in no way be "rewarding him for failure and mediocrity"    The rumor is they want Luke Walton if he is let go by the Lakers so even I went with your rewarding failure take, wouldn't hiring Walton be the same thing?

Yeah, i don't understand that at all. I guess Luke was alright with the Lakers kids before Lebron got there, but he didn't do anything amazing. His resume as Steve Kerr's stand-in for 50 games is losing its luster. 

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, i don't understand that at all. I guess Luke was alright with the Lakers kids before Lebron got there, but he didn't do anything amazing. His resume as Steve Kerr's stand-in for 50 games is losing its luster. 

That was a team of vets that already had an established chemistry/protocol, etc.    All he had to do was show and not fuck up.   I never thought he showed anything in GSW.