2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

As usual, you're out of your element.  The Warriors were 17th in three point attempts per game last season.  They're the best mid-range shooting team in the league by a decent margin.

The "too many threes" argument is pretty antiquated.  Other than the teams taking it to the extreme (really just Houston), threes are pretty much just replacing the bad mid-range shot.  There's still just as many shots at the rim as ever, with even more space to operate.  So do you really miss 18 footers?  Is that what gets you going when you watch basketball?

Except they shot more 3 pointers per game against the Rockets in that series than they did in the regular season.  Almost 3 more attempts and I'm going to guess on fewer shots.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

About time .. no, make that “way past time.”  How Ted Leonsis could oversee such a well run NHL franchise while letting Grunfeld’s incompetence run the Bullets into the ground for so long is beyond imagination.  The question now is how long will it take to unfuck the mess. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

About time .. no, make that “way past time.”  How Ted Leonsis could oversee such a well run NHL franchise while letting Grunfeld’s incompetence run the Bullets into the ground for so long is beyond imagination.  The question now is how long will it take to unfuck the mess. 

literally about 10 yrs too late.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Rolling 60s...

Now, how many here even know what that is even mentioning it?

What's crazy is he got shot 5(shots to the body) and 1(to the head). 5 and 1 is the hand sign you throw up if you are banging RSC. If he was shot like that on purpose that's cold.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I had no idea Westbrook was a Crip. Good for him I guess? 

RW is from Lawndale. Most of the gangs down there are Hispanic. Not the same as the violence in South Central. I think he is paying homage to a guy who he had a lot of respect for. It's just that if you are from low income LA you know what hoods fly what colors, and you learn how to decipher what things really mean. Your life depends on that knowledge. Hyde Park/Creshaw fly the Seatle Mariners. The S is for 60. They also fly under the neighborhood banner, so they are in alliance with all the other NHC's. However, once you go east and hit Western that's the Eight Tray Gangster's turf. They fly Georgetown with the G standing for Gangster. If some of you older guys remember a book called Monster wreitten by a gang banger back in the day that depicted the life of a gangster, he was one of these. If you find yourself somewhere near 52nd street in LA, don't compliment a guy on his Astros shirt or jersey. He will likely be a 52nd Street Hoover Gangster Crip. They fly the Astros colors and the H is for Hoover. Schoolboy Q(the rapper) is one of these. People see Snoop with his little football team in Pittsburgh colors, him wearing Pittsburgh gear all the time, and think he really loves the Steelers. Nope. Those are the colors of the LBC Rolling 20's crips. Snoop has been claiming his gang on national TV for decades and most of America had no idea. Lol. Back in the day Tupac made a song called Money Over Bitches. Most people thought it was just a song about women. M.O.B. is the acronym for MOB pirus, which is the gang that Suge Night belonged to and Tupac had been claiming. You have to be careful wearing any sports gear in LA. In fact, it's why NWA wore black. It's also the reason that to this day, I don't own or wear a single pro sports anything.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 6

KD is shooting 35.0% from 3 , the worst in career since his rookie year.  But 2nd best in 2pt % in career.  If he falls in love with the deep ball vs. HOU, Rockets are going to win the series. If he sets up camp at the top corners of the lane, his fav spot, he's killing from there. The series hinges on his shot selection.  

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So fucking glad that I don't have a clue what's going on in this thread right now.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

100% this

Wish I didn't either. I will say this. God bless my mom. She had us way too young but one thing she did was get us out of somewhere if it looked like it was going to swallow us up. Therefore, we moved around a lot in my early years.

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Wish I didn't either. I will say this. God bless my mom. She had us way too young but one thing she did was get us out of somewhere if it looked like it was going to swallow us up. Therefore, we moved around a lot in my early years.

Good stuff from your Mom.     I'm from a pretty bad area but nothing like that where I needed to watch what I was wearing that closely.  

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's not, though.

It could be entertaining if OKC figured out how to play like they did earlier this year but they won't. Not that it would ever be a close series but it could have been better to watch. I can see OKC taking a game in OKC but that's it.

Portland/Utah will be fun. A lot of tension when they play. Houston/LAC could be entertaining as well.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Good stuff from your Mom.     I'm from a pretty bad area but nothing like that where I needed to watch what I was wearing that closely.  

Man, if you are from a pretty bad area you likely had bangers around you and you didn't know it. Texas has all those same sets here and then some. Texas has a large amount of Chicago Gangs like GD's(Gangster Disciples), Folks, and Black P Stones. In fact, one of the worst kept secrets is that J Prince is GD, which is why everyone is so scared of him. I mean, he was broadcasting it way back in the 90's by having Larry Hoover(founder of the Gangster Disciples) speaking all over their records. I see Hoovers here. I see 60's here. I see Nortenos and Surenos. In fact, I have a kid that works a janitorial job for me who is Fruit Town Piru from Compton. He was worried when I called him on his tats, but he moved here to get away from it so.

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man, if you are from a pretty bad area you likely had bangers around you and you didn't know it. Texas has all those same sets here and then some. Texas has a large amount of Chicago Gangs like GD's(Gangster Disciples), Folks, and Black P Stones. In fact, one of the worst kept secrets is that J Prince is GD, which is why everyone is so scared of him. I mean, he was broadcasting it way back in the 90's by having Larry Hoover(founder of the Gangster Disciples) speaking all over their records. I see Hoovers here. I see 60's here. I see Nortenos and Surenos. In fact, I have a kid that works a janitorial job for me who is Fruit Town Piru from Compton. He was worried when I called him on his tats, but he moved here to get away from it so.

Detroit wasn't big with gangs.  There were a few but they were pretty low profile overall.    Whole lotta unaffiliated guys selling drugs stealing cars and all of the craziness that comes with those but not much going in the way of gang banging.    Never where we had to worry about what we were wearing or people jumping you just cause of where you lived.

Edited by d2o
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Texas may have those gangs and sets but they are in no way like what they are in Chicago and California. Especially when it comes to structure, organization and just the numbers of members. In fact, many of them are not taken as serious. You'll have people claim colors like red or blue but not really in actual gangs like Crips and Bloods. So many posers out there that think because they sport these certain colors, that makes them some actual gang member.

J Prince's respect goes well beyond his gang affiliation. If you haven't read his book, you should. It's a great read if you are into Texas rap at all.

Well, tonight couldn't have gone better for the Magic (in spite of top 5 pick Jonathan Isaac's best efforts).  Doubtful they can rise to the 6 seed to face a vulnerable Philly team, but they should be able to stay ahead of BKN.

6 Detroit 39-39 (at OKC, Charlotte, Memphis, at NYK)

7 Brooklyn 39-40 (at Mil, at Ind, Miami)

8 Orlando 39-40 (Atlanta, at Bos, at Charlotte)

Miami 38-40 (at Min, at Tor, Philly, at Brooklyn)

I’ve mentioned before on the football thread that half of my family went to UT and the other half went to Tech. My favorite uncle went to Tech and is having ablation surgery tomorrow and he is pissed he might miss the game due to that surgery. I grew up in Amarillo and this goes without saying this is a huge deal for fans of Red Raiders if they manage to beat Michigan State. I’m Guns Up for this one. 

13 hours ago, d2o said:

Detroit wasn't big with gangs.  There were a few but they were pretty low profile overall.    Whole lotta unaffiliated guys selling drugs stealing cars and all of the craziness that comes with those but not much going in the way of gang banging.    Never where we had to worry about what we were wearing or people jumping you just cause of where you lived.

Oh, I thought you were from Texas. I have a whole different level of respect for you making it out of Detroit. Lol.