2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
10 hours ago, huge said:
I honestly had never heard of him.

Huh

He had the most annoying hair in Orlando. I couldn't even watch wolves/ magic games because of it

yeah that hair was fucked up.    I hated that we let him go though.   He has Rondo-lite ability

Edited by d2o

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will be great if Lakers and LeBron don't make the playoffs........ ready to see other guys/teams get their shot at winning the NBA Championship!!

You are like 2-3 weeks behind here. The Lakers have been an afterthought on the playoffs for nearly a month.

NBA Roundup:

Giannis vs Simmons dunks:

https://streamable.com/xv02q

https://streamable.com/bru7v

Embiid: https://streamable.com/fa6jo

Giannis on his confort level when getting matched with Simmons or Embiid: "It's easy. I'd rather Ben guard me than Joel, it's simple. If Jo is guarding me all night, everything is though for you."

Giannis Shot Selection for the night: 

imgur

The Detroit Pistons (36-33) complete the season sweep and defeat the Toronto Raptors (49-21)

Dwayne Casey got his revenge on the team that fired him after winning COTY!

James Harden's free throw attempt streak ends at 349 games - 8th longest in NBA history

imgur

Daryl Morey gave a special message to one particular Hall of Famer: "Ray Allen you know we've been obsessively chasing you for years, we think you're perfect for our system. Come to the Houston Rockets, win another championship, it's time."

Apparently, Ray keeps himself in excellent shape but is hard to reach. Morey said this a few days after the All-Star weekend was over on The Rich Eisen Show. Full quote for context below:

Rich Eisen

"[...] After Ray Allen lit it up in the celebrity game, Bleacher Report said 'Someone give Jesus Shuttlesworth a 10-day.', you retweeted 'We are in if he is in' "

Daryl Morey

"Yeah, he's my white whale. Since he walked away from the game, he's acted like he might come back through his agent many times. We chased him down at the golf course once."

Rich Eisen

"What do you mean?"

Daryl Morey

"He's famously hard to reach. His own agent can't communicate with him half the time and so I've been chasing for a while. He's perfect for our system, he keeps himself in unbelievable shape, so people thought that [tweet] was a joke, that is not a joke. Ray Allen, I will sign Ray Allen to a 10-day tomorrow or today if he says he's in, and probably a bigger contract actually, but for sure the 10-day easy."

Rich Eisen

"Well, I mean the camera is right there Daryl, just in case Ray is out there. You want to go ahead and address it right there Daryl..."

Daryl Morey

"Ray Allen you know we've been obsessively chasing you for years, we think you're perfect for our system. Come to the Houston Rockets, win another championship, it's time."

Rich Eisen

"Okay, there you go. What do you mean you chased him at a golf course?"

Daryl Morey

"He wouldn't call his agent back and we wanted to sign him during free agency. This was probably 2 years ago, maybe 3, and he's like maybe your only shot is at this charity golf event, just donate and try and get him. I couldn't make it, but we sent one of our staff there to try and chase him down and nope couldn't get to him."

Rich Eisen

"Couldn't get to him on a golf course?"

Daryl Morey

[Laughs] No, so... this is what we do. I obsessively chase players and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

https://streamable.com/7w2dj

• Like 1

So fucking tired of Isaiah Thomas. The no defense playing midget wasnt going to win a championship in Boston because his teams weren't good enough to get past Lebron.

Social media wont stop pimping him as he comes off the bench for the nuggets. IT4 fans are insufferable as they call Danny ainge a snake because he wouldnt give the 5'6 guard coming off a bad hip season 200,000,000.

A fucking video tribute? Because he got them to the ECF?

Cant wait for him to retire so we can see 82 games of him swapping jerseys with opposing players like DWade is currently doing.

Now get off of my lawn

IT was extremely overrated in Boston before the trade, but since then his 1 great year has become a legend that keeps growing. But yeah, they weren't going to win anything with him driving the entire offense. That team was flawed and would have been swept by whoever came out of the West.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, Chad said:

The king no more.

Someone on The Jump pointed this out yesterday:

That was Hezonja's 7th block...of the season. For comparison, Steph has 21.

When Hezonja dunked on Giannis earlier in the season and stepped over him, it was the only 2 points that he scored all game.

Definitely not lacking in irrational confidence.

• Like 1

Also, yesterday was probably the first time I've heard more than two words about IT in a calendar year. Cut the guy a little slack, and let him have one day. He lost out on maximizing his worth (it probably wouldn't have been a max contract, but someone would have thrown some life-changing money at him) by playing through physical and emotional pain because the Boston medical staff told him that he'd be fine. Yeah, he said some stupid shit in a tight situation in Cleveland, but he seems to be accepting his new, much diminished role in the NBA with class and humility.

• Like 1

Also, yesterday was probably the first time I've heard more than two words about IT in a calendar year. Cut the guy a little slack, and let him have one day. He lost out on maximizing his worth (it probably wouldn't have been a max contract, but someone would have thrown some life-changing money at him) by playing through physical and emotional pain because the Boston medical staff told him that he'd be fine. Yeah, he said some stupid shit in a tight situation in Cleveland, but he seems to be accepting his new, much diminished role in the NBA with class and humility.
Hes saying a bunch of shit the last week.

And i don't know how much social media you follow, but bleacher report and espn quote him like hes some relevant star.

Like you said... he missed out, got traded, became bitter and is now recalling the glory days while coming off the bench.

In other words...stfu IT

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Someone on The Jump pointed this out yesterday:

That was Hezonja's 7th block...of the season. For comparison, Steph has 21.

When Hezonja dunked on Giannis earlier in the season and stepped over him, it was the only 2 points that he scored all game.

Definitely not lacking in irrational confidence.

I like his style

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Lakers could really use a good player like D'angelo Russell right now. 

D-Lo went insane tonight. Down 25 in the 4th and he scores 27 alone in the quarter to lead the comeback. I'm scratching my head at the Lakers letting go of Julius and Russell.

D-Lo went insane tonight. Down 25 in the 4th and he scores 27 alone in the quarter to lead the comeback. I'm scratching my head at the Lakers letting go of Julius and Russell.
Didnt the Lakers pick Kuzma with the Nets pick from that trade? Sure it seems like dumb luck, but that's not a bad outcome. I think the Nets also took on Mozgovs deal in that trade, which was monstrous. Plus Dangelo posted that video of Nick Young talking about cheating on his wife, which was pretty bad. Not exactly a good locker room guy after that.

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Didnt the Lakers pick Kuzma with the Nets pick from that trade? Sure it seems like dumb luck, but that's not a bad outcome. I think the Nets also took on Mozgovs deal in that trade, which was monstrous. Plus Dangelo posted that video of Nick Young talking about cheating on his wife, which was pretty bad. Not exactly a good locker room guy after that.

oh that was Russell who did that? yeah that's a gots-to-go situation.

Magic kicking Russell on his way out the door and publicly stating that his leadership left a lot to be desired was super classy too.  Almost as classy as insulting Luol Deng almost every chance he got while he was still technically on the Lakers' roster.  Because it was Deng's fault for signing that ridiculous contract and getting injured.

"But that Magic smile though!"

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

Jeanie Buss gets the Elizabeth Holmes treatment.

There is absolutely something to that.  She's a woman, and she is very, very well liked among NBA media.  If it were still her brother running the basketball operations, he'd be getting crucified.

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yea, did everyone forget about him selling out his teammate?  I know it's just Nick Young, but it's like one of the Cardinal rules of the locker room.  Don't talk about another man's money.  Don't talk about another man's relationships.  And I think you're correct in they used him to move Mozgov's contract which allowed them get the rights to Kuzma (and Lopez) but have the money to afford Lebron and Paul... wait, I mean, Kaw... no that's not it either.  Well, someone.  He still had 48 million/3 years on his deal.  

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, did everyone forget about him selling out his teammate?  I know it's just Nick Young, but it's like one of the Cardinal rules of the locker room.  Don't talk about another man's money.  Don't talk about another man's relationships.  And I think you're correct in they used him to move Mozgov's contract which allowed them get the rights to Kuzma (and Lopez) but have the money to afford Lebron and Paul... wait, I mean, Kaw... no that's not it either.  Well, someone.  He still had 48 million/3 years on his deal.  

Correct, trading Russell for essentially cap space wasn't really on the Lakers/Magic. Russell dug his own hole, and would have never been respected in that locker room; he had to go.  But how they (Magic specifically) talked about him after the trade was disgraceful.

55 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Correct, trading Russell for essentially cap space wasn't really on the Lakers/Magic. Russell dug his own hole, and would have never been respected in that locker room; he had to go.  But how they (Magic specifically) talked about him after the trade was disgraceful.

i just don't think giving up a 21 year old #2 overall pick to get out of a bad contract is ever good business, no matter what the circumstances. 

So, don't look now, but OKC has fallen to the 6th seed, and has the hardest remaining schedule out of the bottom half of the playoff bracket in the West.  Paul George has been playing like Playoff P dealing with his shoulder injury.
Need Russ to step up his game and get more triple doubles. Can't win games without fantasy stats.

Dame is absolutely one of the best players in the league. He is one of the eleven best players in the league. In fact, he most likely is the 11th best player in the league, and certainly the 2nd best point guard. There's no shame in that. But I'm guessing that he'd like to be grouped a little higher. Showing up in the playoffs this year would be a good start.