2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Really wanted the Nets to give the Blazers a loss, but D'Angelo Russell.

Terrible for Nurkic. But I have a feeling it won't really affect the Blazers moving forward.

What the hell does this mean?  He started 72 games for them, is their leading rebounder, third in points, and has a 23 PER. I think they will miss him over starting Enes "no defense" Kanter. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, NowThis said:

Warriors are so much better without KD whose best years are behind him. No one should pay the $150mil or whatever he wants. The league is full of great 3 point shooters now, he's not the elite guy in that area anymore.  A 35 point blowout at home by GS, lots of big losses at Oracle this year. Houston has a real chance, but only if KD plays 🙂

incredulous.gif

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

What the hell does this mean?  He started 72 games for them, is their leading rebounder, third in points, and has a 23 PER. I think they will miss him over starting Enes "no defense" Kanter. 

All of this. Nurkic is a 15 and 10 guy and their only halfway decent shot blocker. He's their second best player -- yes, better than CJ McCullom. It's a big loss for them especially come playoff time when the games get more physical. Beyond that, losing him could cost them home court in the first round.

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Did you see the ref kick his broken leg too?  That was fucking outrageous, deplorable, disgusting!  

I keep seeing people tweet about this.   I don't wanna watch the vid though.   How did the ref kick him?    Was it clearly intentional?

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Calm the fuck down. They also have Meyers Leonard and scoring punch has never been a problem for the Blazers. 

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

More negligent than malicious. Still shitty, though.

Watching the game at home, and the noise the snap made when his knee fractured gave me goosebumps. I have no clue how someone could be 8 feet away from that and act like nothing happened. Everyone in the fucking building knew something was wrong aside from that dipshit baseline ref. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

@d2o

no comments about the red hot Magic?

Trying not to jinx it but they have been playing lights out.   Super pumped about how well they are playing.    I was supposed to go to that MEM game last week but I was sick.    I was mad as heck about considering how good that game ended up being.  I'm gonna do my best to get to one of the playoff games if they make it.

They will get dump trucked by MIL if they do secure the 8 spot but I would rather them get into the playoffs than be in the tail end of the lottery.   I'm all for young teams that are building to go to the playoffs even if they are just gonna get smashed.    I believe the experience of going as well as playing all these meaningful games down the stretch can do nothing but help them mature.

I just don't know where we go from there.    I can't imagine we end up keeping Vucevic especially given we have Bamba in waiting.    As great as Terrence Ross has been playing (and he should very close to the top of the 6th man list) I know this is a contract year and I hope the FO doesn't fall for the okey-doke.   I like/respect DJ but we need an upgrade at the PG spot.   I like Gordon but he has been wildly inconsistent.   I like Isaac as well but I don't know if he will be more than a very good defender.   I like what Hammond did building that team in MIL so I do at least have confidence in management that I havent had in yrs.

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

And soon as I start talking about them, the Magic get dump trucked in a must win situation.   Ugh.

To be fair, I'm the one who brought them up, so I'll take the hit on this.

But all is not lost - 538 still gives them a 74% chance of making the playoffs and they have a comparatively favorable schedule (at least when compared to BKN and Miami) down the stretch.  Brooklyn could really luck out if Giannis' ankle is even slightly borked.

6 Detroit 38-37 (Portland, at Ind, Ind, at OKC, Charlotte, Mem, at NYK)

7 Brooklyn 38-38 (Bos, Mil, Tor, at Mil, at Ind, Miami)

8 Miami 37-38 (at NYK, at Bos, Bos, at Min, at Tor, Phi, at BKN)

Orlando 37-39 (at Ind, at Tor, NYK, Atl, at Bos, at Charlotte)

Charlotte 35-39 (at Lakers, at GS, at Utah, at NO, Tor, at Det, at Cle, Orlando)

Edited by Message Board User

Just now, Message Board User said:

But all is not lost - 538 still gives them a 74% chance of making the playoffs and they have a comparatively favorable schedule (at least when compared to BKN and Miami) down the stretch.

Charlotte 35-39 (at Lakers, at GS, at Utah, at NO, Tor, at Det, at Cle, Orlando)

Yeah that was the best part of the whole thing.    They had a relatively easy schedule coming down the stretch.    They beat MIA the other night but beating DET would have gone a very long way to helping their cause.    As of today they are back on the outside looking in but with that schedule they should be able to make it interesting.    TOR and BOS should be kinda shutting it down so maybe they get at least one of those games too.  If they can manage 4-2 in this last six I think they can make it.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, Message Board User said:

But all is not lost - 538 still gives them a 74% chance of making the playoffs and they have a comparatively favorable schedule (at least when compared to BKN and Miami) down the stretch.  Brooklyn could really luck out if Giannis' ankle is even slightly borked.

So everyone held serve tonight, but Orlando probably had the biggest win at Indiana.  They're on the outside looking in right now, but 538 gives them a greater than 80% chance of making the playoffs (Miami at about 30%).

6 Det 39-37 (at Ind, Ind, at OKC, Charlotte, Mem, at NYK)

7 BKN 39-38 (Mil, Tor, at Mil, at Ind, Miami)

8 Miami 38-38 (at Bos, Bos, at Min, at Tor, Phi, at BKN)

Orlando 38-39 (at Tor, NYK, Atl, at Bos, at Charlotte)

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

So everyone held serve tonight, but Orlando probably had the biggest win at Indiana.  They're on the outside looking in right now, but 538 gives them a greater than 80% chance of making the playoffs (Miami at about 30%).

6 Det 39-37 (at Ind, Ind, at OKC, Charlotte, Mem, at NYK)

7 BKN 39-38 (Mil, Tor, at Mil, at Ind, Miami)

8 Miami 38-38 (at Bos, Bos, at Min, at Tor, Phi, at BKN)

Orlando 38-39 (at Tor, NYK, Atl, at Bos, at Charlotte)

Yeah big win v Indy.   I was really hoping to gain some ground with that win but its better than losing ground.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:20 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

That's basically what the NBA is now.  Some fans like it but even the GS/Houston series last year was just two teams walking it up the floor and jacking up a contested 3.

As usual, you're out of your element.  The Warriors were 17th in three point attempts per game last season.  They're the best mid-range shooting team in the league by a decent margin.

The "too many threes" argument is pretty antiquated.  Other than the teams taking it to the extreme (really just Houston), threes are pretty much just replacing the bad mid-range shot.  There's still just as many shots at the rim as ever, with even more space to operate.  So do you really miss 18 footers?  Is that what gets you going when you watch basketball?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

As usual, you're out of your element.  The Warriors were 17th in three point attempts per game last season.  They're the best mid-range shooting team in the league by a decent margin.

The "too many threes" argument is pretty antiquated.  Other than the teams taking it to the extreme (really just Houston), threes are pretty much just replacing the bad mid-range shot.  There's still just as many shots at the rim as ever, with even more space to operate.  So do you really miss 18 footers?  Is that what gets you going when you watch basketball?

i miss the one on one battles between the Bigs.  Kareem-Wilt, Shaq-Hakeem, Hakeem-Ewing, Moses-Parish, Moses-Kareem and many many combinations.  The post up game is dead and not coming back, actually it's rare - Cousins is an old school back to the basket guy but even his game is stretch most of the time.