2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

looks like the 8 playoff teams in the west are pretty much set and all that's left is seeding.  in terms of entertaining first round matchups, i'd like to see:

golden state - clippers (don't really think it'd be super entertaining but the clippers are gonna make it and at least they play hard)

houston - san antonio (would be a very interesting series to those of us on surly)

denver - portland (can portland erase last season's disappointment, is denver for real)

okc-utah (the cream of the crop in both conferences as far as potential early round playoff matchups go)

I think warriors/spurs and rockets/clippers would be more entertaining though neither would go more than 5 games.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

NBA should plant something on Dolan so they can take away his team.  Can't believe KD or any other star would consider playing for him.  Such a poor consideration.

If you asked me a few weeks ago, I would have finally relinquished that NY looks like KD's offseason destination. Not for any sound basketball reasons or to bring the Knicks back to prominence, but to further pursue his business and life goals. Now, after seeing KD's continued petty fighting with the media, LeBron's narrative turning against him a little for chasing outside interests at the expense of making the best basketball decision, and Dolan just not being able to help himself, KD's decision gets even more complicated.

Do the Clippers have more than one max slot available? I can see them doing some big things if so. Kawhi would be the perfect running mate; all of the top 5 ability, none of spotlight sharing.

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If you asked me a few weeks ago, I would have finally relinquished that NY looks like KD's offseason destination. Not for any sound basketball reasons or to bring the Knicks back to prominence, but to further pursue his business and life goals. Now, after seeing KD's continued petty fighting with the media, LeBron's narrative turning against him a little for chasing outside interests at the expense of making the best basketball decision, and Dolan just not being able to help himself, KD's decision gets even more complicated.

Do the Clippers have more than one max slot available? I can see them doing some big things if so. Kawhi would be the perfect running mate; all of the top 5 ability, none of spotlight sharing.

KD is such a fucking contradiction sometimes.  He wanted to grow and move to new surroundings, but wants to simply play basketball and be left alone for the most part from the media cycle, yet he makes one of the most controversial free agent moves in history and continues to sign short-term deals.  Going to NYC would be dumb IMO but the allure of bringing a championship to NYC would cement his legacy.  It would be bigger than Lebron winning for Cleveland because it's NYC.  That's the allure but he'd be miserable a lot of the time, IMO.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They will have 75m in cap space if they renounce everyone. I doubt they do that, since Beverley and Zubac are in that group, but together they only carry a 7m caphold. If they could find a way to send Gallo somewhere without taking back much salary, that would be ideal to make room for 2 max players. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/cap/2019/

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dumb move NBA
e8fbe27aa27e827c1522e4fc64da3878.jpg

Westbrook had no issues with the OKC fans trashing and yelling racial slurs at KD when he came back the first couple of times. In fact he basically egged the fans on. While I agree fans shouldn't be yelling profanity at players, he can't seem to control himself during the game either. 

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Going to NYC would be dumb IMO but the allure of bringing a championship to NYC would cement his legacy.  It would be bigger than Lebron winning for Cleveland because it's NYC.  That's the allure but he'd be miserable a lot of the time, IMO.

Sure it's NYC but IMO, that's still not bigger than the greatest player of all-time* winning his hometown's first championship in > 50 years. The Knicks have always been pretty hapless, but the entire city of Cleveland has been a collective loser forever.

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

KD is such a fucking contradiction sometimes.  He wanted to grow and move to new surroundings, but wants to simply play basketball and be left alone for the most part from the media cycle, yet he makes one of the most controversial free agent moves in history and continues to sign short-term deals.  Going to NYC would be dumb IMO but the allure of bringing a championship to NYC would cement his legacy.  It would be bigger than Lebron winning for Cleveland because it's NYC.  That's the allure but he'd be miserable a lot of the time, IMO.

The problem with that is the Knicks are more than 2 max contracts away from being a contender. They are in the same place as the Lakers, who even if they add another max guy with Lebron, they are likely the 6th best team in the West.

56 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Sure it's NYC but IMO, that's still not bigger than the greatest player of all-time* winning his hometown's first championship in > 50 years. The Knicks have always been pretty hapless, but the entire city of Cleveland has been a collective loser forever.

Disagree.... Getting a ship for Cleveland is a fantastic narrative, but in the end, not many people give a shit about Cleveland.  The world understands and knows NYC, as well as it being considered the cradle of basketball.  NYC is going on almost 50 years without a title.  If KD went there and led them to a championship, he'd be immortalized.  I think he's a little too old though.  Knicks aren't a one year turnaround job IMO.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Doncic shot 1-9 from the free throw last night?  Holy shit.  For a lead ball handler who the team presumably wants the ball in his hands, he's a lousy FT shooter.  Biggest think he can do would be to solve this.

Is this a real post? He had a knee strain and was questionable for the game, as well as having shot 70% on ft's this season.

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Is this a real post? He had a knee strain and was questionable for the game, as well as having shot 70% on ft's this season.

Fo sho real.  No one's bashing the guy's overall game except to say he's a poor FT shooter for a lead guard/playmaker.  It's the truth.  Lebron gets crushed and he's a career 73%.  It's an obvious place he can improve or are you under the impression, he's perfect as is?  

He was a good FT shooter (over 80) in Europe so I assume he can get back up.

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fo sho real.  No one's bashing the guy's overall game except to say he's a poor FT shooter for a lead guard/playmaker.  It's the truth.  Lebron gets crushed and he's a career 73%.  It's an obvious place he can improve or are you under the impression, he's perfect as is?  

He was a good FT shooter (over 80) in Europe so I assume he can get back up.

I thought it was a hot take on one game, I definitely think he can improve.  I'll never understand how the 1 inch difference or whatever it is for the line slaughters so many people.

Klay is somehow overrated on defense from the talking heads and vastly underrated from advanced metrics. The stats when the Warriors' play Houston, OKC, Toronto, and Portland (Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi, Dame) speak for themselves. Pay the man his money.

32 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Harden is unwatchable. His constant flopping is cringeworthy. Good lord.

The sad thing is the refs enable that behavior. If any player so much sneezes in Harden's direction he flops onto the court flailing his arms and legs to draw a foul.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chad said:

The sad thing is the refs enable that behavior. If any player so much sneezes in Harden's direction he flops onto the court flailing his arms and legs to draw a foul.

Agreed. But he withers away in the playoffs when the refs do not allow the parade route to the free throw line. So that's a good thing at least.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 6:14 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

NBA should plant something on Dolan so they can take away his team.  Can't believe KD or any other star would consider playing for him.  Such a poor consideration.

The other nba owners love it when another owner is obviously incompetent but they are hurting themselves when the knicks are this bad. The nba needs another frozen lottery card.