2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

looks like rosenthal is walking back his earlier story, when he called a potential deal a "longshot".

I guess you never know what a pro athlete is thinking, but Verlander seems like the kind of guy that if you make a reasonable offer for a chance to win more rings he'll consider it.  Especially if it's with a team that he has won a ring with already.  I mean sure, if he wants to make major bank and doesn't give a shit about winning another World Series he could sign for 10 years and 400 million with a team like Baltimore, but I doubt that is in his plans.

14 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This quote from Crane seems like it could mean nothing, or maybe something slightly more than nothing.

He's getting extended.  Remember, two weeks before Bregman got his new deal there was a story about how he was not exactly happy with the way things were going.

33 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess you never know what a pro athlete is thinking, but Verlander seems like the kind of guy that if you make a reasonable offer for a chance to win more rings he'll consider it.  Especially if it's with a team that he has won a ring with already.  I mean sure, if he wants to make major bank and doesn't give a shit about winning another World Series he could sign for 10 years and 400 million with a team like Baltimore, but I doubt that is in his plans.

there is no case study on someone like jv.  he has plenty of money and the perfect life, and he's already won a ring.  he's 36 years old and his career has been reborn since 2017.

he also is dug in with a group of guys (in the clubhouse and front office) who he seems to vibe with pretty good in a culture he's helped build.  he's made multiple comments about the state of free agency, and that doesn't seem like something he wants to deal with first-hand.  i can see him possibly wanting to do a victory lap in detroit at the very end, but i can't envision him rejecting a fair offer to go get paid slightly more for 2-3 years someplace else - yet another upside of winning the whole thing when we did.

re: cole - i'm very interested to hear what boras is telling his clients, especially his pitchers right now.  dk is horrible optics and can't make anyone stoked about entering free agency.  now granted, cole is not dk, and he'll get big dollars for sure, but there's gotta be some pause.  a 2020-21 rotation with jv-cole-lmj-whitley would make me feel pretty cozy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there is no case study on someone like jv.  he has plenty of money and the perfect life, and he's already won a ring.  he's 36 years old and his career has been reborn since 2017. 

Tom Brady says hi - maybe not to the exact age part, but rings, model wife, lots of money, etc, etc, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Tom Brady says hi - maybe not to the exact age part, but rings, model wife, lots of money, etc, etc, etc.  

obviously contracts are different in the nfl, but to the overall point, he's stayed in one spot, while renegotiating and even taking less money to do so, because he's comfortable there and knows they'll keep winning.

they're definitely on the same track.  brady's train is a few years down the line but the stops are all the same.

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I had concerns when Crane bought the team, thinking he didn’t have the money to field a consistently competitive team. Man, was I ever wrong.

I had the same worries and was very concerned if he had the pockets for this.

damn was I wrong. altuve / bregman / verlander, all extended is just damn, fucking awesome 

11 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I’d say a short term extension with Verlander is much more likely than signing Cole, despite what Rosenthal says. Those same analytics tell them that not all 37 year olds are created equal, and I think they’d rather have him for 2-3 more years than have to give Cole a big money long term deal.

Just quoting myself from earlier today for posterity.

Brad Peacock will open the season as the Astros' fifth starting pitcher, manager A.J. Hinch announced on Friday, formally ending a competition with lefthander Framber Valdez that has long felt over.

"I've been feeling good all spring," Peacock said. "I came into spring trying to earn a job and I feel like I've thrown pretty well."

The 31-year-old righthander will start the Astros' series opener against the Rangers in Arlington on April 2. He allowed five earned runs in 16 ⅓ Grapefruit League innings, displaying better command of a slider he lost last season and aptitude for a new changeup he incorporated this spring.

Give JV anything he wants, his relationship with Jim crane, and obviously his performance, should give him carne Blanche. 

Give Kate 3putt and his strong maybes and let's go win some fucking rings with Justinmotherfuckingbrooks verlanders leading the way.

I'm drinking

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

Give JV anything he wants, his relationship with Jim crane, and obviously his performance, should give him carne Blanche. 

Give Kate 3putt and his strong maybes and let's go win some fucking rings with Justinmotherfuckingbrooks verlanders leading the way.

I'm drinking

Ah yes. Blank meat.

• Haha 1

This ownership is a huge difference than previous. I say though knowing uncle drayton though nobody wanted to win more than he did. Its was his singular focus. He just had the wrong guys (timmy p. , tal and others) running the show. Time to focus on the now and future

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Correa is gonna have to bounce back with a productive and healthy season before they think about extending him. No point in getting in a hurry with him. He’s also not as likely to take a deal like Altuve or Bregman I think. Those 2 feel some loyalty because the astros believed in them when other teams didn’t.

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Correa is gonna have to bounce back with a productive and healthy season before they think about extending him. No point in getting in a hurry with him. He’s also not as likely to take a deal like Altuve or Bregman I think. Those 2 feel some loyalty because the astros believed in them when other teams didn’t.

And if he has a great year, the price will go up.  He's probably betting on himself though and isn't willing to sign now anyway.

Weren't Swanson, Rogers, and Bregman the unanimous top three that year? Rogers with the highest ceiling and risk, Bregman with the safest floor?

On 3/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, henrygandorf said:

it's a little misleading.  "uphill battle" implies both players would reject it.  it sounds like cole might (or at the very least, his agent would recommend rejecting it), but on verlander's side, i think the implication is that the hesitation will be on our side.

i think the reason "astroball" is different, is because it takes analytics and mixes in a human element.  i think we realize what verlander is and means to this club, and i think we're much more likely to offer a 2-60 type of deal, with a potential 3rd year option than we would offer some 6+ year deal to anyone at any position.  the age thing is silly.  we didn't avoid dk because he's 31, it was a talent/ability issue (if not attitude as well).

quoting myself from yesterday just to say fuck rosenthal.

he wrote a slanted article based on zero first-hand insight from the astros.  he didn't even base it on our tendencies, just on semi-recent trends from around the league.

he tried to walk some of it back, but still pretty irresponsible reporting trying to grab headlines.  i expect more from him.

if you want to read more into it, we apparently haven't approached cole (but in his article, he implies cole/boras have told us they're gonna wait).  guess we'll see.