2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

so at the very least, in 2020, we'll be trotting out: springer-correa-altuve-bregman-brantley-tucker

verlander-mccullers-whitley

pressly-osuna

Plus Yuli at $8mm, and George in his final year of arbitration. Hopefully Tucker will be ready and we can salary dump Reddick and his $13mm

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

4ip, 2h, 9k.

he ready.

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

7ip, 2h, 14k, 0bb for stros pitchers so far (jv, rondon, pressly, osuna)

springer 2rbi double then tuve homered.

5-0.

Bullpen guys look ready too.  James has added a scoreless inning as well but he was the first reliever to allow a hit.

57 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I haven't really gotten to watch Spring training games. I don't remember Wade Miley from his previous teams? How would y'all describe him as a pitcher? 

Depends on which one pitches. The one that discovered a cutter is pretty good. His Cutter, curve ball, change up mix works for him. Fastball and slider not so much.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, APMP said:
6 hours ago, WBT said:
Mez's boy Toro with a two run double in the 8th to beat the Nats 5-3 today to wrap up the Florida schedule.  Back to Minute Maid tomorrow.

It's time for the 2019 thread gents

Toro Toro torah

3 hours ago, APMP said:
6 hours ago, WBT said:
Mez's boy Toro with a two run double in the 8th to beat the Nats 5-3 today to wrap up the Florida schedule.  Back to Minute Maid tomorrow.

It's time for the 2019 thread gents

This man can play some baseball. Toro por vida

• Like 1

I was there with you but the stats don't lie.
NL:50 years, 0-1
AL:5 years, 1-0

Let’s face it, it was flat out extortion from f’n Bud Selig that got us into the AL. I was pissed beyond belief.

But I’m all good now and Fondren is right. We have been pretty good in the AL (other than the initial layout.) And Lunhow has devised a long term plan with the DH (and marginal division opponents) in mind. We look to contend for the AL pennant forever and that’s alright by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

Let’s face it, it was flat out extortion from f’n Bud Selig that got us into the AL. I was pissed beyond belief.

But I’m all good now and Fondren is right. We have been pretty good in the AL (other than the initial layout.) And Lunhow has devised a long term plan with the DH (and marginal division opponents) in mind. We look to contend for the AL pennant forever and that’s alright by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and while I still think there should be no DH at all, I now think it gives AL teams the advantage in interleague play and the world series.  I used to believe that the NL got the primary benefit from having pitchers that are used to hitting. But now I think that benefit is minor. Instead, the AL team has an everyday hitter (often all star level) in their own parks, and the same hitter available as the first guy off the bench on the road. NL squads simply don't have that type of quality from a 9th hitter who would have only batted sparingly throughout the year. 

51 minutes ago, WBT said:

I dislike the DH but it's more about not playing the teams we spent 50 years building rivalries with

I can live with that.  I miss the Oilers-Steelers rivalry more than any other, but what I really miss is just the Oilers against anyone.  Right now, I get to watch the greatest Astros team ever assembled.  Would I like to see them pound the Cardinals faces in?  Absolutely.  Do I give a shit about any other team in the AL West?  Nope.  But I do enjoy more regular games with the AL East, and at the end of the day, the logo on the other team's jersey doesn't mean that much.

But I also get that this team would have come about had the Astros stayed in the NL too, and they'd have probably won the NL 2 years in a row.  But do they beat the Yankees in the World Series with a team designed for no DH?  I don't think so.  The 2017 ALCS was close enough as it was.  Do they beat the Red Sox team they just lost to in the 2018 ALCS in the WS?

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I can live with that.  I miss the Oilers-Steelers rivalry more than any other, but what I really miss is just the Oilers against anyone.  Right now, I get to watch the greatest Astros team ever assembled.  Would I like to see them pound the Cardinals faces in?  Absolutely.  Do I give a shit about any other team in the AL West?  Nope.  But I do enjoy more regular games with the AL East, and at the end of the day, the logo on the other team's jersey doesn't mean that much.

But I also get that this team would have come about had the Astros stayed in the NL too, and they'd have probably won the NL 2 years in a row.  But do they beat the Yankees in the World Series with a team designed for no DH?  I don't think so.  The 2017 ALCS was close enough as it was.  Do they beat the Red Sox team they just lost to in the 2018 ALCS in the WS?

You forget that Beltran was the primary DH in the ALCS. I’m sure an NL Astros club could have found a bench bat to approximate the 2-23 they got from the position during that series.

In all seriousness, the primary DHs over the last couple of years (Beltran, Gattis, White in the playoffs) haven’t been great. And on the whole, there aren’t as many great dedicated DHs as there once were around the league. Im not sure this is the advantage you believe it is.

Edited by formermav43

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

You forget that Beltran was the primary DH in the ALCS. I’m sure an NL Astros club could have found a bench bat to approximate the 2-23 they got from the position during that series.

In all seriousness, the primary DHs over the last couple of years (Beltran, Gattis, White in the playoffs) haven’t been great. And on the whole, there aren’t as many great dedicated DHs as there once were around the league. Im not sure this is the advantage you believe it is.

Fair point regarding the Astros DH being mediocre. It isn't true of AL playoff teams generally, however. Martinez and Gregorius definitely provide an advantage. 

It appears my hypothesis is null.

My hypothesis was that the reason Keuchel won the Cy Young in 2015 was a result of excellent pitch framing, that Conger and Castro were helping him paint the corners better than he otherwise would've done.

However, in 2017, guess who the second-best catcher in terms of pitch framing was? None other than our own Max Stassi. He ranks high here too: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php. Maldonado's in both of those rankings pretty high, too, higher than Castro.

Oh well

40 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Astros have yet to figure out the DH postion. We’ve had a ton of young talent yet to step up at the plate 

I'd rather they start the season with Tucker at DH and give him a long leash so we can see if he can ever put it together. White is a known mediocre commodity.