2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

I am also skeptical about White; however, he was actually good in 2017 and 2018: 

88 games; .277/.349/.531; 15 HR; 140 wRC+

I doubt he produces that over a full season, but if he is anywhere near that in 2019 he'll be one of the better DHs in the league. I don't see how you don't give him first crack at DH at this point. 

If Tucker is up, he’ll be in the field with Brantley at DH. 

That said, I have no problem with a White/Kemp platoon for now. Tucker is only 22 and the advanced stats suggest he was more unlucky than anything last year. His time will come.

Edited by formermav43

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am also skeptical about White; however, he was actually good in 2017 and 2018: 

88 games; .277/.349/.531; 15 HR; 140 wRC+

I doubt he produces that over a full season, but if he is anywhere near that in 2019 he'll be one of the better DHs in the league. I don't see how you don't give him first crack at DH at this point. 

agree with all of this.  shit, there was a stretch when bregs mini-slumped and white was the only bat we had for ~3 weeks last summer.  he carried us.

i think the issue with white is that we know exactly what he is, exactly what he isn't, and he's not likely to surprise anybody.  he's safe and unexciting.  and he's another righty bat.  but you're right - if he can go .260 / 18hr / 65rbi in 450ab then that's a win considering the rest of our lineup. 

https://theathletic.com/881062/2019/03/25/qa-charlie-morton-on-the-end-of-his-astros-tenure-joining-the-rays-and-the-matchup-against-his-pal-gerrit-cole/?source=boxscore

Q&A: Charlie Morton on the end of his Astros tenure, joining the Rays and the matchup against his ‘pal’ Gerrit Cole

When we’re 60 years old and they call us up for the 25-year anniversary of the 2017 World Series team, and we’re out there in our khakis, I’ll hopefully be out there in my velcro New Balance shoes, pants are sagging, some 15-year-old polo shirt that’s sunbleached, wearing our World Series rings and they’re like two sizes too big because I’m all skin and bones, hopefully, that’s something I’m looking forward to.

Spoiler
By Jake Kaplan 7h agocomment-icon@2x.png 10 save-icon@2x.png

Charlie Morton is an open book. Ask him his take on a subject and you’ll get his honest answer. When less than an hour after the Astros were eliminated by the Red Sox in last year’s ALCS he reiterated his preference to re-sign with Houston in free agency, he wasn’t just paying lip service to the fanbase that reveres him as a World Series hero.

But Morton also understood that so much was out of his control. “Ultimately, it’s not really up to me,” he said before leaving Minute Maid Park that night. “It’s not solely up to me because I don’t dictate a lot of factors that are going into this.” The realist in him knew there was a chance that Oct. 18, 2018, marked the end of his career-rejuvenating, two-season stint with the Astros.

That possibility became a reality when in the offseason the Rays pursued him aggressively, much more so than the Astros. They signed him in December to a two-year contract worth a guaranteed $30 million, more than doubling his previous annual base salary. His deal includes an option for 2021 that could be valued as high as $15 million or as low as $1 million, depending on the right-hander’s health.

Morton’s tenure with the Rays, who play about a 40-minute drive from his home in Bradenton, Fla., will be the final chapter of his playing career, the 35-year-old father of four has insisted. Remarkably, it will begin with a start against the Astros on Friday night at Tropicana Field, where he will oppose a close friend in Gerrit Cole.

It figures to be an emotional game for Morton, his former teammates and coaches and Astros fans everywhere. On a recent morning at the Rays’ spring training complex in Port Charlotte, Fla., Morton discussed Friday’s matchup, his early impressions of his new team, his Astros tenure and much more in a wide-ranging conversation with The Athletic.

(This conversation has been lightly edited for clarity.)

How has your first spring training with the Rays gone?

Good. It’s really relaxed. It’s a young team but a really talented team. This camp is probably the most relaxed that I’ve experienced. The expectation is that you just go out and get your work done and that you’re going to take care of your business. I think it’s nice for younger guys to experience that, just accepting responsibility for getting your work done, and the organization trusting that guys are going to be professionals. Top to bottom, everybody I’ve talked to here, it’s awesome. It’s an awesome situation.

This team is obviously known as a forward-thinking, data-driven organization, which I’m sure appeals to you in a lot ways. Are there similarities here to how the Astros operate?

Yeah. Very similar. Similarities in that they use the information, they use the data. (Rays pitching coach) Kyle Snyder, like (Brent) Strom, they like that information. They like having access to it and using it. And both organizations seem to value character in the clubhouse, and the front office people here are just good people. It was the same with the Astros. Just good people.

How have things been going for you on the mound?

Pretty good. It’s like any other spring training. You come into camp and you’re sorting things out. You’re sorting mechanics out. You’re sorting your body out. You’re getting in shape and you’re trying to keep track of all these things, what you need to improve upon. It’s just like any other spring. I feel like the ball’s coming out of my hand pretty well. I feel like my command’s pretty good. Kyle’s done a really good job of explaining to me what the goals are for me, making sure that we’re not rushing into anything, that I’m not only ready for late March and April but I’ll be in a better spot later on in the season, too. Just mapping out my games, my ‘pens and just getting on the same page. Kyle’s made it really easy to transition.

Health-wise, how has everything checked out for you? You obviously battled the shoulder thing late in the season last year.

Good. In spring training, you deal with things with your body — you’re sore or achy or whatever — all based on the assumption that it’s going to sort itself out. I think that’s how you just have to approach it. But the pain that I was having and stuff like that, I don’t feel pain anymore. It’s just kind of sorting out my delivery at this point and my timing and building up my arm strength.

This is your fifth organization, so the practice of learning new teammates, coaches and just overall clubhouses isn’t foreign to you. But going into free agency, did you expect that you’d be learning a new clubhouse again?

No. I thought we would work something out. But when the Rays called, they were aggressive. And a couple of other teams were pretty aggressive. That’s when I started to think maybe I wasn’t going to come back to Houston.

The thing about learning new clubhouses and new organizations is that you can only do so much to prepare yourself for that. You can try to be a certain person and act a certain way and conduct yourself the right way. But when I walked into the clubhouse here, it was easy. It was just easy. Because it’s good people. It’s a relaxed atmosphere. And that’s pretty much all there is to it.

Ideally, I don’t know. Do you want to wind up in the same place? Do you want to stay in the same place? Well, yeah, if you’re in a good situation. And I felt like I was in Houston. But there’s also the other side of it where you have the opportunity to learn about other organizations. You have the opportunity to meet new people and experience new things with new people, and that helps you grow. I look at it as a positive thing not as a challenge.

You had publicly expressed a desire to stay in Houston in interviews. Whether it was during the season last year or in free agency, did you ever feel like that was close to coming to fruition?

I did. But when the final offer came in, when the Rays and a couple other teams and the Astros, it was down to the final offers, I think we just got the impression that they weren’t that interested. Which is fine. It is what it is. You can’t go out and demand that everybody have the same level of interest as everybody else, willing to take the same risks as everybody else. That’s just not the way it works. I don’t know. Like I said, when it came down when we were taking final offers, and it’s like, “All right, which teams are the most interested and which teams are not?” The Rays were definitely one of the most interested teams and the Astros weren’t.

Were you surprised the Astros didn’t extend you a qualifying offer in November?

No. I think negotiations, organizational planning, goals, outlook, all of those things are very complicated and nuanced. I don’t think it’s as simple as, “Do we want to bring this guy back? Do we want to bring this guy back at this dollar amount?” Especially with qualifying offers, there’s draft pick compensation attached to it.

I’m not sitting here trying to formulate reasons why they would or wouldn’t do it. Either you extend a qualifying offer or you don’t, and they didn’t to me. I probably wouldn’t have taken it anyway. I’m coming off the best two years of my career, and I have a chance to sign a deal where I’m signing a contract for a duration of time that I’m comfortable playing for. So, if I wanted to play for two or three more years, a one-year offer, in a qualifying offer, for an annual value close to what we thought we could get on a multi-year deal makes no sense for me to sign.

Just for once, I wanted to bet on myself. Because there have been times in my career where I doubt myself or you kind of sell yourself short. At that point, this offseason, even going into the qualifying offer time, you think about it and it’s like, “Well, no, I’m going to bet on myself and see where we wind up.” And it worked out.

Coming off your two best seasons of your career, how did you find this free-agent experience to be as a whole, especially compared with the previous one when you were coming off a missed season because of the hamstring injury?

After the 2016 season, there were varying degrees of interest, from multi-year deals to minor league contract offers. The same went for this go-around. To my knowledge there weren’t any minor-league offers, but it wasn’t like every offer was a multi-year deal for an annual value where we wound up.

I didn’t really have many expectations. I was hoping to wind up in a good situation. And here, I wound up with a young, talented group with good people, the Trop’s 40 minutes away, I get to sleep in my own bed in spring training and in season, the kids get to stay at home, my wife gets to stay at home. I’m really happy about it. I’m really excited about it. My wife, too.

When we found out that the Rays were really interested, it was like we tried not to get our hopes up. But it worked out.

You openly flirted with the idea of retiring in the past, even last year when you were an All-Star. Do you expect that whether it’s two years or three years that is your last baseball contract?

I wouldn’t say I was flirting with the idea of retiring. I think it was more of being completely open to the fact that my career might be over. During the 2017 season, I had people come up to me talking to me about how much longer I wanted to play. It was like, “Well, I don’t know. It depends on where I am health-wise and if I’m effective. I’m not going to force the issue after 2018 like if I’m hurt or if I can’t get anybody out.” I wasn’t just going to play to play, essentially. I didn’t want to just take up a roster spot or if I’m rehabbing some surgery or who knows? It was dependent on the circumstance. But I was accepting of the fact that I’m older and it just might not have worked out.

But this contract will be my last. I’m assuming, 100 percent, I’m expecting to be done after this. And I don’t think that should be surprising to anybody. I’ll be 37 years old, maybe even 38. It’s like, “I’m almost 40 years old. OK, how’s that news?” (Laughs.) “This dude’s old.”

When you signed in December with the Rays, given what you accomplished in your two years with the Astros, was it difficult to grapple with the emotions attached to the excitement of a new chapter with Tampa but also the end of one with Houston?

Yeah. When you accomplish so much with a team and a group of guys, and you create relationships that are meaningful and you enjoy going to the park and being proud to be part of an organization, being proud to put that uniform on, you’re so invested in that. You’re emotionally, mentally invested in those things. You’re invested in your community that you become a part of in Houston.

So, yeah. I experienced the same thing with Pittsburgh when Pittsburgh traded me. It meant a lot for me to be an Astro and to be in Houston. It’s difficult. There’s no other way to put it.

But you sign with a new team and at that point it’s a business move. You sign with a new team and then once you talk to the people in the organization, you get to know the people in the organization, and then you start to go through challenges and difficulties with the people in the clubhouse, in the organization. Then you start to build those relationships and then it becomes about that new organization.

But yeah, at the end of the year, when the season ended in Houston, that’s what I was hoping for. That’s what I said, and I meant what I said. I guess there’s no other way to put it.

When years from now you have more distance from your two seasons with the Astros and the World Series run in ’17, what do you think you’ll think about most from your tenure there?

The guys. How you impact them and they impact you on a personal level and then when you cross the lines how it’s almost secondary to that foundation that you build on an individual level, on a personal level. I won’t remember a lot of baseball. I’ll remember moments that were meaningful on a personal level more than moments in baseball.

When we’re playing the game, when we’re actively playing, your focus is on execution. It’s like almost sterile. There are moments that I’ll remember: the big outs, big pitches, home runs, big plays, in the dugout cheering guys on. But what makes those moments extra special is the fact that you know that you knew those guys and that we knew each other. We were close, a really close group, and that’s what makes it special, the emotional and mental investment in each other. When you come to the park each day and you’re asking and truly caring how everybody’s doing. “Where you at? How are you doing? What do you got going on? How’s your family?” And those questions come from a place of caring about each other. It’s like if you just showed up and you didn’t really care about each other, those memories aren’t going to last. That’s just the way things work.

Perhaps appropriately, your first start as a member of the Rays will be against the Astros. What do you expect that experience to be like?

I don’t know. I’m assuming that there will be some emotion there that is appropriate. I have nothing but respect and reverence for the guys over there. I’ll just go out and try to make good pitches and try not to think about the meaning behind the outing.

When we’re 60 years old and they call us up for the 25-year anniversary of the 2017 World Series team, and we’re out there in our khakis, I’ll hopefully be out there in my velcro New Balance shoes, pants are sagging, some 15-year-old polo shirt that’s sunbleached, wearing our World Series rings and they’re like two sizes too big because I’m all skin and bones, hopefully, that’s something I’m looking forward to.

Like the question you asked me about, “What are you going to remember?” We’ll know. We’ll know then.

If I was on the Astros at this point, I would’ve thrown a couple live BPs against those guys. So, I guess I was going to face ’em either way, live BP or in a game.

How are you going to pitch (Alex) Bregman?

I don’t know. He probably already knows how I’m going to pitch him. He’ll be in the video room checking my delivery and where my glove is and where my hand is in a certain spot in my delivery. I’m sure he’ll be doing his professional thing. He’s a pro. He’s got the stuff that’ll help his career and (help him) be a really good ballplayer for a long time. They know what they’re doing over there.

Gerrit Cole said recently that he was excited to match up against you and hoped to make a gentlemen’s wager with you on the pitching line. Has that been decided yet?

No. It will be weird. That’ll be weird. I’ve known Gerrit for a long time. I hope it will be a well-fought battle.

Gerrit and I are friends. We talk often. We’re pals. … You pitch in games like that, it’ll be a cool experience, pitching against the Astros. It will be a cool experience pitching against Gerrit.

It is weird, though, that’s the first start of the season. It’s weird.

Have you ever matched up against someone you’re this close with, starting pitcher-wise?

No. I’ve actually had at-bats against friends. Like I remember facing Clayton Richard, who I’m friends with. But he didn’t start that game.

Most of the people that I’m friends with in baseball are pros. And it’s like you go out there and you do what you have to do to win the game. And then after the game, you’re friends. You’re still friends. There’s no animosity. There’s no ill intent. It’s just we have a job to do as a professional. So, you go out there and you take the ball and you try to get people out.

And the reason why you’re asking the question (about facing the Astros), well, yeah, I spent two really important years there in my career, personally and professionally. It’s only natural that there would be emotion associated with that. And I’ve known Gerrit for a long time, like I said. We were teammates with the Pirates and Astros. So, naturally, there would be emotion associated with that. I don’t look at it any other way.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Having a rough first inning. 

Struggled with commanding his fastball in the first but looked fine when he settled in. Mainly FB/SL with a couple changes and started working his curve in his last inning. Probably 11-13 swinging strikes. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Struggled with commanding his fastball in the first but looked fine when he settled in. Mainly FB/SL with a couple changes and started working his curve in his last inning. Probably 11-13 swinging strikes. 

Probably just a little too hyped up to start his first game at Minute Maid. He'll be back before the All Star break imo. Glad to see the offense bail him out. 

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

How often has the Cy Young winner and runner up faced off to open the following season?

This will be the third time. The first two times both happened in 1979.

In the AL, Ron Guidry (Yankees) versus Mike Caldwell (Brewers).

In the NL, Gaylord Perry (Padres) versus Burt Hooten (Dodgers).

https://www.mlb.com/news/cy-young-winner-runner-up-facing-in-opener

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Framber isn't cut out for the BP, he won't be around long unless he can get his control 

tickets bought for thursday and friday 

I think he could be a decent reliever but he definitely needs to expand his pitch mix if he wants to have a shot at starting in the majors.  Once hitters start recognizing the curve out of his hand and begin laying off he really struggles.  

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

tickets bought for thursday and friday 

Bought tickets for Thursday. Section 123.

For those that have decided to go. I'll be in the St. Pete area around noon. Going straight to Bodega on Central for a cuban sandwich followed by Green Bench Brewing Company for a beer or three.

4 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

didnt we bungle the thread to start last year - someone else started when we agreed it was WBT, or someone?

IDK but the thread title either needs to be fixed or left to die so Planet Houston can start a new one. Personally, I'd like to see LilShep start it. He has all kinds of Astros mojo

Edited by TonyTexas

27 minutes ago, Cooder said:

So do we blame the season thread on Correa possibly missing opening day?

What?

Damn it:

Houston Astros shortstop Carlos Correa is questionable for Thursday's opener at Tampa Bay because of a sore neck, manager A.J. Hinch said.

Hinch said Correa, who was scratched from Houston's last two exhibition games, has been experiencing discomfort in his neck since a rundown play last Friday.

"We'll see if he can play on Thursday," Hinch told reporters Tuesday. "We don't think it's a long-term issue. I don't love the fact that we've had to scratch him a couple days and he's heading into the season having not played for a few days."

Correa batted .239 last season with 15 home runs and 65 RBIs in 110 games. He missed time last season with a sore back and in 2017 with a torn thumb ligament.

Edited by Seasick Sailor