2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

The sad thing is the NCAA acknowledged that only $2500 was sent directly to the guardian. Not the father, the guardian. The kids family lives in Angola. 

Part of me wants KU to go full tarkanian and just play SDS.  Let his lawyer figure it out but tell the NCAA to fuck off and win the conference outright. If it’s vacated they won’t award it to the next best team and the streak is alive with a gap year.  If the NCAA is going to treat you like the evil empire because of $2500 then you might as well be the evil empire. Fuck it, the only thing left to do is win the whole damn thing. Win the small and the big tourney too and we basically fucked the entire season for everyone.

Also, Garrett hurt his ankle and is out today. Tech is going to pummel us. Culver is probably going to have a career day. 

Edited by Jhawk

Remember when I said we’d try our best to fumble away the opportunity to unseat Kansas?

Yeah what of it? you guys literally lead the entire game until the 7:08 mark of the 2nd half when UT took a one point lead. Within 2 1/2 minutes, you reclaimed the lead and never relinquished it. UT did pull within 1 with 1:39 left but you guys ran away from them after that.

How easy do you think conference games should be?

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Yeah what of it? you guys literally lead the entire game until the 7:08 mark of the 2nd half when UT took a one point lead. Within 2 1/2 minutes, you reclaimed the lead and never relinquished it. UT did pull within 1 with 1:39 left but you guys ran away from them after that.

How easy do you think conference games should be?

Easier than that at home.

Fuck, we beat Tech in Lubbock in more comfortable fashion.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're the second-most talented team in the conference. Occasionally, we play like it.

You won despite your 50-40-90 guy playing like shit most of the game. Take the win.

• Like 1

You’re one of my favorite basketball posters, so please don’t be offended, but you shouldn’t post during the game.

I’ll read this thread a lot of times before even checking the scores. I always think you guys have lost and then I check the score and you’ve won by 5+. You’re the ISU version of our Jonk.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

You’re one of my favorite basketball posters, so please don’t be offended, but you shouldn’t post during the game.

I’ll read this thread a lot of times before even checking the scores. I always think you guys have lost and then I check the score and you’ve won by 5+. You’re the ISU version of our Jonk.

@Al_4_ISU lives in a world where ISU is KU's only challenger and also where ISU sucks dick. Of course he also thinks Des Moines is better than Houston but that's for a different thread.

22 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I wish I could acknowledge what you’re saying.  But I can’t.  That’s how these things work 

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

@Al_4_ISU lives in a world where ISU is KU's only challenger and also where ISU sucks dick. Of course he also thinks Des Moines is better than Houston but that's for a different thread.

That’s more about my disdain for Houston than my love for Des Moines, but as you noted, that’s a subject for a different thread. 

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If we fire Shaka the answer isn't Chris Beard or Jamie Dixon. 

beard is taking a chance again. Dixon would be better than Shaka but he's not a home run and you can get Dixon next year if you want.  I can't see paying the buyout unless we have an elite guy ready to go.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

beard is taking a chance again. Dixon would be better than Shaka but he's not a home run and you can get Dixon next year if you want.  I can't see paying the buyout unless we have an elite guy ready to go.

I don't think Texas can get Dixon if they want him. TCU is his alma mater so that's his dream job. 

Either way, I'm not upset about Dixon. He's a decent coach but he's not going to get anyone excited. Same with Beard. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Can we cross off the NC State guy.  They scored 24 points today and made us look like the Warriors while doing it.  

Not that I'm a Kevin Keatts fan or anything (I honestly don't know much about him), but if we're going to cross off every coach that has a bad performance, we're not going to have a list.

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The coaching market is shit so unless CDC has a big name lined up it's why Texas likely isn't paying that buyout. 

Chris Mack buyout is 6M before 4/1 and 5.5 after. He’s the next in line for blue blood so I don’t know if he would make a move to UT even with the UL penalties.  

Here is KU AD Jeff long’s Response to the de Sousa suspension. Pulls back the curtain on the investigation a little:

KU Athletic Director Jeff Long:

“I want to briefly address the last 24 hours and the disappointing decision regarding Silvio De Sousa. I remain profoundly disappointed at the NCAA’s decision which effectively takes away the college basketball career from a young man who did nothing wrong. I’ve been involved in college athletics for many years and at many institutions and have always respected the NCAA and trusted the process, but I must tell you my faith has been shaken. I know that Chancellor Girod and Bill Self share my frustrations. ...

"Let me share a little bit with you about the process. ...

"We have been working with the NCAA for more than three months to get Silvio back on the floor. As they looked into potential NCAA violations regarding individuals associated with Silvio we provided them with every witness, every document and every piece of communication that they requested. We kept pressing them for answers on Silvio’s eligibility, so we could get him back on the court where we felt like he belonged even if it meant he had to serve a penalty before coming back to the court. ...

"We withheld Silvio, which is the common practice and protocol as we worked through these issues to insure that if he did play he was eligible and thereby not jeopardizing our team’s results. ...

"About one month ago the NCAA indicated that they would consider Silvio’s reinstatement if we did two things. First, as is procedure, we had to declare him ineligible and immediately seek his reinstatement. Secondly, as part of our reinstatement request, we had to identify TJ Gassnola as an agent and a booster of our program only as a hypothetical for the purposes of reinstatement — and I emphasize that. ...

"As we disagreed with the NCAA staff on how to define Gassnola’s role in all of this, the NCAA told us that they would not consider reinstatement unless we included that information. If we did not include the hypothetical, they would not consider reinstatement until after the enforcement investigation was complete, which would — and could last — well beyond the season. With no other alternative, we declared Silvio ineligible on Jan. 13 and began the reinstatement process. ...

"Throughout this process we were instructed to share very little information with Coach Self and with Silvio, which obviously led to understandable frustration by both of them. They had little involvement in the process and even less information. We are very frustrated with the NCAA’s procedures that require us to keep Coach Self and Silvio somewhat in the dark. ...

"So where are we today? KU is exploiting all avenues of an appeal. Make no mistake, we are determined to fight for Silvio and for fairness in this process. This process simply hasn’t been fair in our view. If the NCAA is trying to send a message or make a statement with an unwarranted harsh punishment, they’re doing it through the wrong messenger in our opinion: a young man that both NCAA enforcement and the institution agree had no knowledge of and did not benefit from the NCAA violation. We continue to stand behind our student athletes when we believe they have been wronged. ...

"Now, we’ll continue to cheer for coach Self and the Jayhawks and support our coaches as we battle in the coming weeks. And yes, we will uphold Big 12 rules and regulations and we will adhere to the NCAA’s bylaws and will fully review our program and the violations if any."

I must give props to KU , Self, and the 'development' of their young team.

Mofos kicked our ass today and Tech fought back valiantly,  yet the Jayhawks would not acquiesce.

I respect their program, if not the bullshit officiating that seems to accompany it.  The call on Culver in the first half was complete bullshit and 'controlled' the momentum of the game.  It gets old after a while...

Again, i respect the players and Self.  Their efforts were awesome today.  Fuck the other bullshit though.

and boo-fucking-hoo over DeSousa.  you cheated and lost.  Holy fucking shit the NCAA got something right...

Edited by slorch

Nobody affiliated with KU gives a fuck about DeSouza, they care about basketball and what the kid might have been able to do on the floor. Phony fucking pity is hilarious. Seems the NCAA found a way to punish the school without actually punishing the school. Deprive them of talent and maybe discourage future players from dirtying themselves by getting involved with KU bagmen.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

We're the second-most talented team in the conference. Occasionally, we play like it.

You won despite your 50-40-90 guy playing like shit most of the game. Take the win.

I feel like every team outside of maybe WVU and Baylor (only because I haven't seen them yet) has a better collection of guards than us. How exactly are we the 2nd most talented team? 

TCU is 29 in Kenpom (if they lose to Baylor 3-5 in the Big 12) . OU is 39 in Kenpom (3-6 in the Big 12).

I want to see one of these teams go 7-11 in the Big 12 to see what the committee does. I don't think it's out of the question for one of these teams to get a bid at 7-11 in the Big 12. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I think there's been 8 win teams get a bid, not sure about 7.

There have been lots of 8-10 teams get bids. Texas and OU got a bid at 8-10 last year. K-State 2 years ago. Oklahoma State and Texas 4 years ago. There wasn't a team that went 8-10 in '16. 

So I believe 5/8 Big 12 teams that went 8-10 in the last 4 years have made the tournament. K-State was 15-17 in '15 so that's why they didn't make the tourney. 

With the bubble being horrible this year is the year to test 7-11. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Texas and OU would have a reasonable chance at 7-11 because of the composition of their OOC schedule. 8-10 they are in.

Baylor and OK State missed it last year because their non-conference SOS was shit. Baylor had the #282 NCSOS and OK State had the #311 NCSOS.

Texas is currently #43 in NCSOS (but much higher using the NET metric), OU is #19 in NCSOS, TCU is #179 in NCSOS. 

So yeah, OU would definitely have a chance. Probably not Texas because of all the losses. This is in reference to 7-11. I think Texas and OU are definitely in at 8-10. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Nobody affiliated with KU gives a fuck about DeSouza, they care about basketball and what the kid might have been able to do on the floor. Phony fucking pity is hilarious. Seems the NCAA found a way to punish the school without actually punishing the school. Deprive them of talent and maybe discourage future players from dirtying themselves by getting involved with KU bagmen.

If you read the statement you’ll see 2 key things. 

1. This was not about enforcement of having De Sousa play last year. 

2. The ncaa effectively tricked KU into saying adidas was a booster. 

This means after the season KU is in for more punishment because it is pretty easy to say self and Townsend worked with “boosters” to secure recruits. Since you don’t give a fuck about KU maybe you’ll find enjoyment in the fact that if they punished a kid this hard on an eligibility issue they are going to hammer KU on the newly created booster issue. KU is going to be forced to go rogue on the NCAA. This is exactly how a dynasty ends. 

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

If you read the statement you’ll see 2 key things. 

1. This was not about enforcement of having De Sousa play last year. 

2. The ncaa effectively tricked KU into saying adidas was a booster. 

This means after the season KU is in for more punishment because it is pretty easy to say self and Townsend worked with “boosters” to secure recruits. Since you don’t give a fuck about KU maybe you’ll find enjoyment in the fact that if they punished a kid this hard on an eligibility issue they are going to hammer KU on the newly created booster issue. KU is going to be forced to go rogue on the NCAA. This is exactly how a dynasty ends. 

Supporting something that was built on a foundation of sleaze happens. If it dies, it dies.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

I must give props to KU , Self, and the 'development' of their young team.

Mofos kicked our ass today and Tech fought back valiantly,  yet the Jayhawks would not acquiesce.

I respect their program, if not the bullshit officiating that seems to accompany it.  The call on Culver in the first half was complete bullshit and 'controlled' the momentum of the game.  It gets old after a while...

Again, i respect the players and Self.  Their efforts were awesome today.  Fuck the other bullshit though.

and boo-fucking-hoo over DeSousa.  you cheated and lost.  Holy fucking shit the NCAA got something right...

You shot more free throws than KU in Allen and still bent over and took it like a good girl. I’d be pissed if it was my team, so I get it.

9 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

"You got plenty of gravy calls in the second half during garbage time, so there's nothing to see here."

FIFY

That's your measure for the Payhawk equivalency test?

KU starters shot 19 FTs.  Tech had 14

The call on Culver eliminated a huge fucking play.  That's the bottom line. It didn't win the game for KU, but it certainly stemmed the tide of momentum in the first half.

More of the same bullshit in Lawrence.

Edited by slorch