Mike Gundy Is Not a Fan of Twitter

Vic Mackey

Not a Gundy fan here but bravo the statement.  Who was the walking scrotum with a media pass who asked Gundy the question that prompted the rant?  Citing "social media" as something to which a head coach should pay attention is nonsense.  I mean, do you think leaders of big time organizations have time to bother with Twit . . . hold on.  The president is coming up with a new derogatory adjective to describe the media.  Gotta go.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Not a Gundy fan here but bravo the statement.  Who was the walking scrotum with a media pass who asked Gundy the question that prompted the rant?  Citing "social media" as something to which a head coach should pay attention is nonsense.  

It was a fair question and wasn't just about social media/twitter.  He was asked about the 2-week long (very fair) criticism of Taylor Cornelius' play prior to Saturday's game.  He said something like "criticism from where?" and Bill Haisten from the Tulsa World said something along the lines of "fans, sports radio, media, Twitter...." and Gundy just cut him off and made the Twitter comment.

I guess it's a funny sound bite and everything and I sort of get the point, but it glosses over three inconvenient facts.... (1) the criticism of Taylor Cornelius' play against Kansas State was ENTIRELY justified. He played like shit. (2) Gundy has constantly used social media/twitter to his benefit over the past several years with all of his antics (rattlesnake hunting, wearing the wrestling singlet, etc.) and even bragged about the amount of "free media" that the program has received because of it. (3) This idea that everyone commenting on twitter/the Internet are unemployed guys in their mom's basement is just so fucking stupid. It's just an easy/convenient way to deflect deserved criticism. 

And I have news for Gundy... the OSU Twitter-verse is TAME AS SHIT compared to most everything else on Twitter, especially the big-time programs who have tons of psycho fans who tweet at players, coaches and recruits all the time. OSU has very little of that.

I'm obviously a Gundy fan, but he's way off base on this. He could have addressed in a better way than "I could give a rat's ass what's on Twitter."... because guess what.. he obviously does give a rat's ass or he wouldn't be putting shit out there all the time.

Did you see the whole press conference? People laughed. He was joking. He also said he uses social media to his advantage. He was in a joking mood that evening. He also has a point. Most twitter criticism isn’t well thought good faith analysis. It’s troll bullshit. He acknowledged many times that Cornelius didn’t play well against KSU. He’s speaking more about the trolls in a sarcastic way that has some obvious truth. Pistols firing blog was particularly bad last week. Those clowns posted 3-4 times a day about Spencer Sanders’ greatness.

It was a fair question and wasn't just about social media/twitter.  He was asked about the 2-week long (very fair) criticism of Taylor Cornelius' play prior to Saturday's game.  He said something like "criticism from where?" and Bill Haisten from the Tulsa World said something along the lines of "fans, sports radio, media, Twitter...." and Gundy just cut him off and made the Twitter comment.
I guess it's a funny sound bite and everything and I sort of get the point, but it glosses over three inconvenient facts.... (1) the criticism of Taylor Cornelius' play against Kansas State was ENTIRELY justified. He played like shit. (2) Gundy has constantly used social media/twitter to his benefit over the past several years with all of his antics (rattlesnake hunting, wearing the wrestling singlet, etc.) and even bragged about the amount of "free media" that the program has received because of it. (3) This idea that everyone commenting on twitter/the Internet are unemployed guys in their mom's basement is just so fucking stupid. It's just an easy/convenient way to deflect deserved criticism. 
And I have news for Gundy... the OSU Twitter-verse is TAME AS SHIT compared to most everything else on Twitter, especially the big-time programs who have tons of psycho fans who tweet at players, coaches and recruits all the time. OSU has very little of that.
I'm obviously a Gundy fan, but he's way off base on this. He could have addressed in a better way than "I could give a rat's ass what's on Twitter."... because guess what.. he obviously does give a rat's ass or he wouldn't be putting shit out there all the time.

2efc0f155f9ae5fe580dfdc8effab0b3.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I just kind of felt like that social media and Twitter is what’s destroying this country anyway,” he continued. “So that’s how I feel about it, from politics to sports, whatever. It gives people a platform to bitch, and then other people are, like, needling it, and they’re sitting at home and they’re late on a payment. So, anyway, that’s how I feel.”

Nothing wrong with the truth. 

14 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Yeah, everything would have came across funnier to me if he didn't say the unemployment crack (twice). That was unnecessary. 

Agreed. People get laid off all the time for countless reasons and file for unemployment to hold them over until their next job. I don't see the humor in that. And no Mike, the demographic for Twitter and social media is not just a bunch of losers who aren't working behind a keyboard. Quit exaggerating. 

Man I made a perfect one second video of the fart noise, but I have no idea how to turn into something you can post on Surly.  That shit could become a new Surly meme.  Lots of uses for sure

Vic's post would be perfect for it

Edited by Go Pokes

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. People get laid off all the time for countless reasons and file for unemployment to hold them over until their next job. I don't see the humor in that. And no Mike, the demographic for Twitter and social media is not just a bunch of losers who aren't working behind a keyboard. Quit exaggerating. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

That's my biggest gripe.  It's simply not true, which sucks any possible humor out of it. 

I'm willing to guess that Twitter as a whole is not filled with unemployed people.  I can tell you for sure that the OSU twitter-verse is almost entirely OSU students or alumni. 

If we are going with "football coaches act like football is rocket surgery that nobody else could possibly understand" then he should have gone with the tried and true "these people commenting never played football at a high level" garbage that football coaches and players love to trot out there whenever they are criticized.

• 5 years later...
13 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5012-S-Western-Rd-Stillwater-OK-74074/120402320_zpid

He's asking roughly 2x the Z-estimate on the zillow listing.  When I saw how garish that thing was, I thought he'd have to settle for something like $4mm.

The inside of his house literally looks like 75% of the cabins in Broken Bow.  Weird.

10 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I thought it would be far, far tackier.

So what's the play here? Downsizing?

It says it's 11 minutes from the stadium.   Probably tired of the commute.  Wife tired of having to drive 7 minutes to grocery store.

He said a young family should buy it for the pool and game rooms. What young family in Stillwater can afford a $8 mil house? The university president makes like $500k. Pretty sure the OSU Football Head Coach is the only person in the area with that kind of money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1