Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Lot's of mistakes on full list, but found a few interesting Rankings......

Sporting News 2018 CFB Coach Rank

99. Matt Wells, Utah State

73. Seth Littrell, North Texas

64. Matt Rhule, Baylor

59. Neal Brown, Troy 
58. Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State 

57. Bill Clark, UAB

Tech ordered the #99 full meal deal....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Where did Kliff rank on that list?

63. Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech

31. Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia 
30. David Cutcliffe, Duke 
29. Mike Leach, Washington State 

(Lots of mistakes in list though...)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Would you ever expect a QB to say “yeah, I don’t want to be here and I’m really not interested in being great, Mr. AD.”

Agreed.  I love the hell outta Bowman as a player, so this comment isn't about him as a person-

What fucking influence should a player have in selecting a college coach, when the guy is going to be gone in 2-3 years?  I mean, great that there is some positive interaction in the past with the future OC; but the comment makes it sound as if young Alan almost had thumbs-up/ thumbs-down Caesar going on.   No freaking way.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Agreed.  I love the hell outta Bowman as a player, so this comment isn't about him as a person-

What fucking influence should a player have in selecting a college coach, when the guy is going to be gone in 2-3 years?  I mean, great that there is some positive interaction in the past with the future OC; but the comment makes it sound as if young Alan almost had thumbs-up/ thumbs-down Caesar going on.   No freaking way.

I don't think that is what happened at all.  I don't believe Kirby was getting Bowman's feedback, but rather I believe Kirby was telling Bowman this was going to be the hire and this guy can help develop him to be successful.

All Kirby was trying to do was to keep the kid from transferring.  The hire was going to happen regardless of what Bowman thought.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I think was more about keeping Bowman from thinking about a transfer to USC, still could happen.

6 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I think was more about keeping Bowman from thinking about a transfer to USC, still could happen.

I get that piece too.  It's definitely a balance there.

1. I hope Bowman is healthy/ on the road to full recovery more for off the field reasons.  Dude seems like a genuinely good cat, and he took a horrific double hit in that WVU game.

2. Unless Wells is bringing in the Bone or the Single Wing( i know he is not.) Bowman's gotta know he is the guy to lead this offense through the transition.

3. I agree that it is wise to include Bowman in discussions and keep him in the loop.  That confidence will permeate the locker room, while also hopefully prevent any bullshit problems at the QB position.

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Wasn't this the exact narrative with Kingsbury? 

Not exactly.  Kliff was young and hungry, but also raw as hell, and even his most enthusiastic proponents admitted that had a to learn a lot on the job.  Wells has already been a head coach for 6 years.  (EDIT: El Diablo more or less said all this, but it bears repeating.) 

Edited by Dirk X West

Ian Boyd on Wells: https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/11/30/18118407/matt-wells-3-step-process-for-elevating-texas-tech-red-raiders-david-yost-big-12

Matt Wells found a really nice balance between an explosive spread offense and a spread-busting defensive style in 2018 at Utah State. Now he’s aiming to apply that formula at Texas Tech.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, slorch said:

I'm not the one who proclaimed Texas' landing spot status.  now don't go all aggy and let facts fuck up a good boast...

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-college-footballs-best-jobs-entering-2018-119334274

https://armchairallamericans.com/definitively-ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaching-jobs/

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/10-best-coaching-jobs-college-football-les-miles-lsu

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-college-football-coaching-jobs/

https://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/these-are-top-ten-college-football-coaching-jobs-country-36208

These are literally the first five results for "best college sports head coach job" on google. You are so fucking stupid, lmao.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigXII said:

Thanks for ignoring the actual discussion that was being addressed. Since 1977, Texas has had 6 HC in Football.  Tech has had 7.

carry the fuck on...tell us more about how much longer coaches stay in Austin.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Thanks for ignoring the actual discussion that was being addressed.

carry the fuck on...

You are such a pathetic bitch. You reply within seconds, spend literally thousands of hours on a fucking texas longhorns message board to be the resident "tech shithead." Get a life, loser.

Tell you one damn thing, I have 0 accounts on any texas tech message boards.

Edited by BigXII
  • Like 2

Just now, BigXII said:

You are such a pathetic bitch. You reply within seconds, spend literally thousands of hours on a fucking texas longhorns message board to be the resident "tech shithead." Get a life, loser.

The thread title must have confused you...

1 minute ago, slorch said:

is there a bonus for that?

THREE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED FOURTY FOUR POSTS on the second spinoff UT message board. THREE THOUSAND FUCKING POSTS in less than a year, lmfao.

Tech is for losers.

If texas aint a destination spot, why you dying to spend all your time here?

Edited by BigXII

Just now, BigXII said:

THREE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED FOURTY FOUR POSTS on the second spinoff UT message board. THREE THOUSAND FUCKING POSTS in less than a year, lmfao.

Tech is for losers.

You sure do engage a lot...LOLz.

This is a great site.  i have been part of the community for over a decade.  Not sure why that bothers you.

and get this...I was invited here by two Horns.  Weird as fuck, eh?

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

You sure do engage a lot...LOLz.

This is a great site.  i have been part of the community for over a decade.  Not sure why that bothers you.

and get this...I was invited here by two Horns.  Weird as fuck, eh?

And yet there is an entire topic full of horns, way more than two, telling you that you're a bitch-ass loser and to GTFO. Strange huh?

I have ~300 posts and have been here less time than you have. "You engage a lot" said the desert to the grain of sand. Your "Oh gosh they notice me *blush*" act is aggy as fuck. Please go stand under a bonfire, loser.

Imagine bring proud about being part of a sports talk message board "community" for a decade, lmao.

Edited by BigXII

15 minutes ago, BigXII said:

And yet there is an entire topic full of horns, way more than two, telling you that you're a bitch-ass loser and to GTFO. Strange huh?

I have ~300 posts and have been here less time than you have. "You engage a lot" said the desert to the grain of sand. Your "Oh gosh they notice me *blush*" act is aggy as fuck. Please go stand under a bonfire, loser.

Imagine bring proud about being part of a sports talk message board "community" for a decade, lmao.

Only fucksticks like you feel threatened. Blacklab and other founders see fit to allow fans from other schools in here. Through the years, I have broken bread with and knocked back a few beers among Shagsters/ Surlists. I have participated in charity activities with this community. I have done business with Surly folks, so yeah, it’s a little different than being proud of 3k posts or whatever. Sorry I did not gain your endorsement. Ok cool.  Wreck em!

Tech 2019 schedule

FCS Montana St    W

UTEP   W

@AZ   In doubt

@OU   L

OSU   In doubt but looks like L

@Baylor   L

ISU   L

@Kansas   W

@WVU   L

TCU   In doubt but looks like L

KSU   In doubt

@TEXAS   L

I see his ceiling at 7 wins and a bowl. I would be impressed. I see his floor as 3 wins. That would be a disaster and presage more badness. Most likely 5 wins again with no bowl or bowl practices. Splash hires help get the first full class of recruits in the door. If that class is not given some hope in 2019, the first-class bump will be pretty small. And Tech, like everyone, needs talent.

Slorch is as OK as any of the usual Surly crowd in my book.

• Like 1

Just now, Dirk X West said:

Counting wins and losses is always an exercise in futility in college football, but particularly so 9 months in advance.  Everyone thought Tech's 2018 schedule would be a killer, but turns out, it wasn't.  OSU, TCU, K-State, even UH, were all overrated.  I'll wait and see how 2019 plays out.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

#21 schedule in the country (my system actually has it #16). Those Big 12 teams weren't bad, this conference actually does beat itself up because everyone plays everyone.

3 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Counting wins and losses is always an exercise in futility in college football, but particularly so 9 months in advance.  Everyone thought Tech's 2018 schedule would be a killer, but turns out, it wasn't.  OSU, TCU, K-State, even UH and Ole Miss, were all overrated.  I'll wait and see how 2019 plays out.

fify

1 hour ago, BigXII said:

didn't read, it's from a tech loser, not worth reading lol

please kys

You sound like you wear tailored jerseys.

slorch has been here a long time and most people love having him, and other fans from different schools, around. If you want to close out your internet world to other peoples opinions, maybe join texags. 

• Like 8

I see AU as a probable win.....I don't hate on Sumlin and I wanted him to do better just to show up aggy, but the fact is with these retread coaches you either get things moving in the right direction or it falls apart and Sumlin has it moving backwards clearly plus their QB graduates (I think) and or he will probably leave

I see a potential wins at Baylor, WVU and KSU as well

Baylor should have been a win this year, but poor QB play because of massive injuries and lack of playing time and continuity and Kliff just not getting it done in any capacity cost Tech that win

even if KSU keeps Snyder I don't think he keeps it together there they are not good and he only had Kliffs number because he is 90 years old and actually gives a shit while Kliff is 42 and predictable and does the same stupid shit

WVU is losing their QB and Holgerson job sniffing is not going to give his players love and WVU has not been good and is not well coached

I see an OOC of 3-0 and then Texas, OU and TCU as pretty much sure thing losses and OkState and ISU as almost sure thing so that is 3-5 then you have WVU, KU, KSU and Baylor to take 3 of 4 from....which shit when looking at it like that it does not look as good

I think Tech can get 6 wins and a bowl game and probably a bowl win

I really wish the Big 12 would go to 8 or better yet 7 conference games this 9 conference game shit is stupid and ruining the conference

• Like 1