Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

Alan Bowman now says he’s not going anywhere.

Best news of the day.

Continue the road to wellness, so you can get out there and pilot this ship on offense again!  Wreck Em!!!

Bowman being interviewed by the media today.  You have to wonder why KK wouldn't let anybody talk to him.  He does a really nice job for an 18 year old kid.  Appears Wells won't be nearly as secretive and guarded in allowing media access to players and staff.  Kliff wouldn't even let the coordinators speak to them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Taking the USC OC job. Trojans needed Kliff more than Kliff needed the Trojans.

No surprise. Most believe Helton’s days Are numbered and Kliffy can step right in.

Some may not agree but College football is better with a good SC team. No one else in the PAC (including Washington when they compete for a title) comes close to what SC can do when the Trojans force the media to focus attention on the west coast.

12 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

No surprise. Most believe Helton’s days Are numbered and Kliffy can step right in.

Some may not agree but College football is better with a good SC team. No one else in the PAC (including Washington when they compete for a title) comes close to what SC can do when the Trojans force the media to focus attention on the west coast.

USC is not going to promote a one-year OC that just got fired from Texas fucking Tech. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

USC is not going to promote a one-year OC that just got fired from Texas fucking Tech. 

"Kliff Kingsbury... a Texas boy with California dreams.. coaching one of America's most accomplished football programs in the Grand-daddy of them all!..." - Kieth Jackson's voice RIP

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm not getting the "Kliff could just step in as HC" thing.  If Kliff had, say, won 8 games this year and hadn't got fired at Tech, does anyone think he would've been a likely HC candidate for USC in 2019? 

USC only hires average former Trojans, and Kliff is both average and now a Trojan! 

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

depends who else offers KK after the one-year...

USC ain't exactly stellar at picking their football helmsman of late.

Edited by slorch

there are a lot of so called Tech fans that love revisionist history and that make Tech out to be some place that just abuses coaches and causes them great harm and pain and stifles their abilities to have success

so not that people are actually (laughably) pretending that Kliff would get a sniff for the HC job at USC and before Wells coaches a game for people to try and critique that Vs what Kliff could have done with more time lets all go on record about Kliff

I say he had to be fired, he did a terrible job overall, he was a poor recruiter, he was poor at keeping players he recruited, he had terrible clock management, terrible special teams, did not give a shit about penalties (especially stupid untimely ones), he assembled a bad staff from day one and took too long to correct it, he was stubborn and refused to give up play calling duties, he was poor at handling the QBs especially and his offenses were up and down even game to game

he was a nice guy, I wish him no ill will, I wish he had done much better, but I feel he was 100% responsible for his own failings and I hope he recovers, but no matter what he does anywhere else he was done at Tech and in fact if he does well other places (and eventually gets a HC job and does well) I think it will actually be a poor personal reflection on him for not changing during the SIX YEARS he had at Tech and taking advantage of their good will and his personal connections to Tech unless he comes out when ask (and he will be ask) and admits that he needed to make adjustments while at Tech and he failed to do so and working under others taught him that hard lesson that he never learned in SIX YEARS at Tech that were highly underwhelming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, slorch said:

That shit makes ZERO sense.

My take on that is the head coaching skills that are both so incredibly important in the college game and his Achilles heel, aren't present to any great degree in the NFL.  

Those being primarily interpersonal types of skills that are so critical in college in order to recruit, schmooz boosters, woo the local media,  kiss up to donors, be a just regular local community guy around town, etc. aren't that vital to success in the NFL. The guy was an extreme introvert, so much more so than most realize.

He's clearly a great offensive mind and easily owns the technical skills needed to be a successful head coach in the NFL IMO.

2 hours ago, mrhorn said:

NFL teams are known for bringing in guys that they have no intent on offering, but for the sole purpose of picking their brain.  

Kliff’s a whiteboy though...

Kliff would be hired for one main reason-  maximize QB production.

get someone else to run the defense, and the GM handles talent acquisition and you remove some of Kliff's biggest drawbacks as a college HC.

Baker Mayfield  = not good enough to be Texas Tech QB, but wins three Big 12 titles at OU, Heisman trophy and #1 overall NFL pick. 

Kliff Kingsbury = not good enough to be Texas Tech coach, but good enough to be head coach in NFL.

What more proof do we need that Tech is the greatest football program in the world?

I could actually see a scenario where KK is a successful NFL coach - as mentioned, he doesn't have to recruit. Give him the roster to compete on D he can hand that side to a competent DC. He won't be at a talent disadvantage on offense.

Taking over this Arizona squad is absolutely not that scenario. The Cardinals should know that, but they don't, and that's why they're the fucking Cardinals.

Edited by gmr548

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Baker Mayfield  = not good enough to be Texas Tech QB, but wins three Big 12 titles at OU, Heisman trophy and #1 overall NFL pick. 

Kliff Kingsbury = not good enough to be Texas Tech coach, but good enough to be head coach in NFL.

What more proof do we need that Tech is the greatest football program in the world?

You’re wrong. 

A lot wrong. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I doubt he gets an offer, but the NFL is desperate to break their cookie cutter hiring process.  So in their attempt they make another mold of how to find the next McVay and young and offensive mind checks the boxes.

29 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

just wanted to put these two posts together

• Haha 1