Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

23 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

It's nice to see at least one person talking sense on this thread.

Don't get me wrong, the football in Waco was just shitty last year. Rhule was trying to blend offenses and it had no real identity. But the players that bought in put in the work and the coaches kept refining and developing their Frankenoffense. It takes time for that effort to show results on the field and sometimes it simply fails. Jury's still out on Baylor, beating Abilene Christian is no way to know what you have. I think Kliff left enough decent players at Tech that they can bounce back pretty quickly and go bowling next year. Wells isn't a bad hire, just a bit of a head scratcher. Kinda like Baylor hiring the guy from Philly was.

16 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Don't get me wrong, the football in Waco was just shitty last year. Rhule was trying to blend offenses and it had no real identity. But the players that bought in put in the work and the coaches kept refining and developing their Frankenoffense. It takes time for that effort to show results on the field and sometimes it simply fails. Jury's still out on Baylor, beating Abilene Christian is no way to know what you have. I think Kliff left enough decent players at Tech that they can bounce back pretty quickly and go bowling next year. Wells isn't a bad hire, just a bit of a head scratcher. Kinda like Baylor hiring the guy from Philly was.

I think the Rhule comparison is pretty apt.  I hope Wells - if he gets hired, since that hasn't happened yet - is as successful.  Sometimes the AD needs to make the best choice he can based on his research and interviews, and then just put that person in a position to succeed.  Bowing to popular opinion is what got us Kliff.

7 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Oh wow, that’s the freak who was at Mizzou a few years back and helped extend Gary Whatshisname’s job. Yeah, he can coach offense. Pinkel, that was the guy.

My edit timed out as I was hitting submit.  I looked it up, and Yost may have lost his touch in 2012, as Mizzou had a losing record. He was at Washington State with Leach the next year. Maybe Pinkel didn’t need him, after all, just some good hooch.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It was. A wealthy former player / booster had a meeting with Holgo in Atlanta, and Hocutt cancelled. Booster is pissed and has threatened to pull funding for facilities. 

I think it is safe to say that said booster will be pulling funding.  And won't be the only one.

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Like 1

When i ask myself, why this guy? My only thought is the guy knows how to recruit players to like desert like places and that he's cheap.  That's all i got.  Kansas getting Miles doesn't help.  Hell Texas State's hire looks impressive by comparison.  Damn.  

The answer is highlighted.

2 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

It's nice to see at least one person talking sense on this thread.

You are about to hire an offensive minded HC who has fielded offenses ranked 61st, 86th, 93rd, 97th, 68th, and 11th in yards per game... Good luck with that.

Might as well hire Shawn Watson.

6 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

They were 3rd in FBS scoring offense this year.

That is THIS year. He had A good year. The whole body of work matters more. If you want to hang the future of your program on one good season in the Mountain West conference, more power to y'all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

With the shittiest home schedule I have ever seen next year for Tech, and they hire a nobody from nowhere you will not see the Dallas crowd coming to town and dropping money for hotels, restaurants and football tickets.  This is a bad, bad move.

If someone was voluntarily driving from DFW to Lubbock to watch Tech football they aren't about to stop because of a coaching hire. They'll be very thirsty for kool aid in July just like we are.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Good for Kliff Kingsbury.  Can't emphasize enough how he is still highly respected by most Techsans, even though it did not work out on the field as HC of Tech Football.

32 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If someone was voluntarily driving from DFW to Lubbock to watch Tech football they aren't about to stop because of a coaching hire. They'll be very thirsty for kool aid in July just like we are.

i live 550 miles from Lubbock.  Attending a game there is a significant investment of scheduling/ time/ and money.

I only attended one game during the Tuberville era and that's because tix were given to me while I was already in the Hub City.

The leadership and direction of the program absolutely matters.

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)
7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Remember the Time this thread wasn't being ruined by Michael Jackson song references? I think of that time and mutter to myself that I Want You Back and that all this bullshit needs to go back In the Closet where it belongs, but I guess it's just Human Nature to run jokes into the ground.

Blame it in the boogie.

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Fuck Baylor.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 1:51 PM, Uncle Nate said:

Tech pays in the top 30 in salaries, is located in Texas (recruitment), and has new upgraded facilities with more to come.  Other coaches (Beard, Tadlock) have proven you can recruit high caliber talent to Tech.  It's not the shit job you are making it sound like.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:56 PM, Nivek said:

Tech is most certainly not a shit job.  It is definitely a tier 2 class and most coaches would be lucky to get that job.   Tech made a mistake going after an unproven coach with KK.   They should be looking to pluck someone who has experience at a tier 3 or subdivision school.   

On 11/28/2018 at 3:40 PM, Beau Vine said:

Would rather have the App State coach if I'm a Tech fan.  

Exactly. So why did Tech jump all over hiring Matt Wells instead of going after Scott Satterfield? My best guess is so that they won't fall behind on recruiting.  

1 hour ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

The most confusing thing in this thread is that people think Matt Rhule is a good football coach.

Lot's of mistakes on full list, but found a few interesting Rankings......

Sporting News 2018 CFB Coach Rank

99. Matt Wells, Utah State

73. Seth Littrell, North Texas

64. Matt Rhule, Baylor

59. Neal Brown, Troy 
58. Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State 

57. Bill Clark, UAB

Edited by LTtxfan