Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

We'll have to wait and see if this happens, but he's the type of coach I thought we should be looking at, i.e. and up and coming mid major coach.  A lot of Tech fans will be pissed, as he's not a big name, but that's how it usually goes with college football fans. 

Tech fans forget they are Tceh.

• Like 1

He has zero experience of any kind at a Power 5 conference school (his short stint at Louisville was pre-ACC) and he had a 3 year stretch there of losing records.  Tech can and should do better:

Head coaching record[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Utah State Aggies (Mountain West Conference) (2013–present)
2013 Utah State 9–5 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Poinsettia
2014 Utah State 10–4 6–2 T–2nd (Mountain) W New Mexico
2015 Utah State 6–7 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) L Famous Idaho Potato
2016 Utah State 3–9 1–7 6th (Mountain)  
2017 Utah State 6–7 4–4 T–4th (Mountain) L Arizona
2018 Utah State 10–2 7–1 T–1st (Mountain)  
Utah State: 44–34 30–18  
Total: 44–34
Edited by Uncle Nate

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

He has zero experience of any kind at a Power 5 conference school (his short stint at Louisville was pre-ACC) and he had a 3 year stretch there of losing records.  Tech can and should do better:

Head coaching record[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Utah State Aggies (Mountain West Conference) (2013–present)
2013 Utah State 9–5 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Poinsettia
2014 Utah State 10–4 6–2 T–2nd (Mountain) W New Mexico
2015 Utah State 6–7 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) L Famous Idaho Potato
2016 Utah State 3–9 1–7 6th (Mountain)  
2017 Utah State 6–7 4–4 T–4th (Mountain) L Arizona
2018 Utah State 10–2 7–1 T–1st (Mountain)  
Utah State: 44–34 30–18  
Total: 44–34

What kind of only-winning-record G5 or actually-good P5 coach do you think Tech can pull? I'd imagine they sounded out Holgo and that didn't work out.

USU is a tough place to win - the Mountain West has a lot of traditionally stronger programs than the Aggies.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What kind of only-winning-record G5 or actually-good P5 coach do you think Tech can pull? I'd imagine they sounded out Holgo and that didn't work out.

USU is a tough place to win - the Mountain West has a lot of traditionally stronger programs than the Aggies.

Tech pays in the top 30 in salaries, is located in Texas (recruitment), and has new upgraded facilities with more to come.  Other coaches (Beard, Tadlock) have proven you can recruit high caliber talent to Tech.  It's not the shit job you are making it sound like.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:30 PM, BluTechsan said:

So he would leave a place where he can negotiate a bump, has an established system, campus that loves him, to go to Tech which needs help, pushes out successful coaches, underfunds the program, and rains mud?   He would leave Morgontown which has a loyal following and serves Yeungling by a river in the spring/summer for tumbleweeds and Shiner?   

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Tech pays in the top 30 in salaries, is located in Texas (recruitment), and has new upgraded facilities with more to come.  Other coaches (Beard, Tadlock) have proven you can recruit high caliber talent to Tech.  It's not the shit job you are making it sound like. 

I'm not saying Tech is a shit job, but traditionally it's a stepping stone. Guys like Herman or Fuente (elite G5 coaches) or P5 guys with good records at mid-tier schools aren't very likely to want to move in that direction.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Tech is most certainly not a shit job.  It is definitely a tier 2 class and most coaches would be lucky to get that job.   Tech made a mistake going after an unproven coach with KK.   They should be looking to pluck someone who has experience at a tier 3 or subdivision school.   

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So he would leave a place where he can negotiate a bump, has an established system, campus that loves him, to go to Tech which needs help, pushes out successful coaches, underfunds the program, and rains mud?   He would leave Morgontown which has a loyal following and serves Yeungling by a river in the spring/summer for tumbleweeds and Shiner?   

Not to downplay what happened with Leach, but which other successful coaches has Tech pushed out?

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Seems like a solid hire if true.  He's a bit of a risk due to limited resume, but what he has so far looks promising. 

The biggest problem is that the fanbase has convinced themselves that Leach or Holgerson are heading their way, and will be disappointed as a result. 

even funnier is so many of them would have pulled their puds for Seth Littrell that has done a lot less in a much shittier conference and that shits the bed to bad teams in a bad conference

or Lincoln Riley that they all mocked mercilessly because so many of them were too stupid to understand that the "tempo" of an offense is not a style of offense it is simply how fast you choose to run the plays for your style of offense (which is generally a benefit to a more pass oriented offense)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Utah State was 11-2 under Gary Anderson the year before Wells was promoted to head coach, so it’s not like he engineered a turnaround those first two years, either.  I would be underwhelmed if Tech goes with him.

Yeah and look at Andersen's career track since he left USU.  HC @ Wisconsin -> HC @ Oregon St -> Assistant @ Utah

I don't believe that Wells would do any better.

9 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Seems like a solid hire if true.  He's a bit of a risk due to limited resume, but what he has so far looks promising. 

The biggest problem is that the fanbase has convinced themselves that Leach or Holgerson are heading their way, and will be disappointed as a result. 

People weren't particularly hyped about Leach when he started, and even after his first year (where we won 7 games and lost our bowl game), it was "that wasn't any better than Spike, and at least Spike was funny".  Wells could certainly crash and burn, but if he wins games, it'll all be forgotten, as always with hires like this.  I predict a lot of whining between now and the start of Big 12 play next year, though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Yeah and look at Andersen's career track since he left USU.  HC @ Wisconsin -> HC @ Oregon St -> Assistant @ Utah

I don't believe that Wells would do any better.

he took over at UW after they were shell shocked by Bert and went 9-4 which was better than Bert's prior 8-6 then he was 11-3 and left because of Barry The A(d)

so it was not like he failed there other than leaving there for a job at a terrible place just to get away from a terrible AD that every football coach seems to hate

Just now, 1leggedduck said:

Seems like a logical move for Wells and Tech. Tech isn't a terrible job at all, but people not from the south plains generally don't want to die there. If he's a good hire, he's gone in 5 years if TT is lucky. If he's a bad hire, he's gone in 3. He seems competent. 

Please cite the last time a good coach was hired away from Tech. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Wrong Tech thread.

Unless you think Coach Bro goes to GT?

from Paul Johnson to Kliff Kingsbury?

That's about as extreme opposite ends of the offensive philosophy spectrum as you can get...

6 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Well, they fired the last one.

That's not what I asked.  Can you name a coach Tech wanted to keep that a "bigger" program hired away?  Considering how often people say "if he's successful at Tech, he'll be gone in a few years anyway", you would think it must've happened before.

• Like 2

Just now, Dirk X West said:

That's not what I asked.  Can you name a coach Tech wanted to keep that a "bigger" program hired away?  Considering how often people say "if he's successful at Tech, he'll be gone in a few years anyway", you would think it must've happened before.

The idea of how fans perceive coaching jobs is ridiculous.  Each fan base thinks it's as simple as pulling out the espn best jobs in America list and assume all coaches are on a path to coach at #1 on that list with no other factors entering the equation.

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The idea of how fans perceive coaching jobs is ridiculous.  Each fan base thinks it's as simple as pulling out the espn best jobs in America list and assume all coaches are on a path to coach at #1 on that list with no other factors entering the equation.

yea football back before Spike was a LONG TIME AGO and a lot different coaching world....and Spike was not leaving Tech no matter what

McWilliams was not really that successful and does not really count that was Texas being lazy as fuck and not getting with the rapidly changing times of college football

and mike begged and pleaded to get away from Tech, but the funny thing is most programs that consider themselves to be "better than Tech" actually expect that a coach at a place like Texas Tech can do a hell of a lot better than what mike did.....unlike "Tech fans" ADs around the country are  able to look at a schedule loaded with shit teams for easy wins and no hardware of significance and understand that even at Texas Tech that is nothing to brag about over a decade of history.....because you can look at TCU, Baylor, Missouri, Kansas, OkState and others (outside of the Big 12) and see that a coach that really has "it" manages to fall ass backwards into an undivided division 1st place finish in a 6 team division much less a full conference championship in a 12 team conference in a decade of coaching

so yea it is not like there is really any body of work besides one guy that tried with all his might (and failed) to prove the idea that Tech can or cannot hang on to "winning coaches"

Edited by ButtFumble

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Mike was so dead set on leaving Tech they fired him.

keep posting your stupid fucking lies, asswipe...

flying to Washington "coach class" on your own dime to beg for a job that payed a million or more less than Tech is being desperate no matter how ignorant you are of that reality....worse yet getting a "thanks, but no thanks"...I am sure UW really regrets not hiring him 

7 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

flying to Washington "coach class" on your own dime to beg for a job that payed a million or more less than Tech is being desperate no matter how ignorant you are of that reality....worse yet getting a "thanks, but no thanks"...I am sure UW really regrets not hiring him 

You're right.  leach is the luckiest fucking scheduler( AD's job, but you're rollin) ever and no other coach in NCAA football leverages offers from other schools to get the raise they feel they've earned.

Tech absolutely demonstrated that they were operating in good faith with Mike Leach.

Enjoy the golf, the BBQ, and total access you wanted.  it's all you have now.

Dude's been gone for 9 seasons and you want to rehash this shit.  Fuck you.

Welcome to ignore.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Really? I know a lot of Tech fans and not a single one of them thinks Leach would ever want to go back there after the way his departure was handled. 

2 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Really? I know a lot of Tech fans and not a single one of them thinks Leach would ever want to go back there after the way his departure was handled. 

Yeah, I think people were excited by the prospect, but I can't say I've come across anyone who really thought it was going to happen.  

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Tech fans better be patient (lol, like any fans are)... Prolly not going bowling again next year just because rebuilds rarely happen overnight.

It's not that big of a rebuild, though.  The big question is whether Alan Bowman can get healthy and stay healthy.  If he can, we'll have a winning team.  The overall talent level is not that bad.

14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Tech fans better be patient (lol, like any fans are)... Prolly not going bowling again next year just because rebuilds rarely happen overnight.

Yup. You need at least one year to be ready for the conference championship. 

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

It's not that big of a rebuild, though.  The big question is whether Alan Bowman can get healthy and stay healthy.  If he can, we'll have a winning team.  The overall talent level is not that bad.

or if "Carter McClane" can show the form that made him the season starter

Tech should start the season 3-0 barring a massive turnaround by the fighting Rumlins

then need to beat KU and KSU and pull out one more win for a bowl game

6 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

or if "Carter McClane" can show the form that made him the season starter

Tech should start the season 3-0 barring a massive turnaround by the fighting Rumlins

then need to beat KU and KSU and pull out one more win for a bowl game

A lot of times for teams struggling to get out of the rut it's all about the non-conference schedule. This year Baylor had the likes of Abilene Christian to help get them to 6 wins.  

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

A lot of times for teams struggling to get out of the rut it's all about the non-conference schedule. This year Baylor had the likes of Abilene Christian to help get them to 6 wins.  

Or get into the SEC, play 3 cupcakes, 1 semi-decent opponent and only 8 conf games.  All you need is a heartbeat to make a bowl game.

• Like 1

David McWilliams. But to be fair we would have been happy to return him

I do not like OU

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)