Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Kind of surprised Tech made this move.  KK wasn't working with very much this year.

I kind of agree.  I think the qb injury screwed kk.  The defense was much better and I was pretty happy to play their backup as the starter looked really good. 

That said, his conference record was just too poor to continue betting on.  They gave him a good amount of time.  Sucks that he really might have had a shot to improve the record this year without injuries, but he didn't, and the record is pretty damn bad. 

4 hours ago, Dean Gullberry said:

I've heard KC sports talk radio say Venables might have some skeletons in the closet from when he was at K State but they didn't discuss it any further.  Anybody else heard this or know what the rumors were about?

Rumor that he closes bitches. Very, very, very hard. Don’t know if there is anything substantial there.

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wtf does a movie filmed in New Mexico have to do with anything here?

An even better question is how many of the Top 100 football recruits in Texas have even seen Hell or High Water and of those, how many are stupid enough to believe that's a realistic portrayal of the Texas Tech campus?  And mostly because none of the movie took place in Lubbock or in anything but a small town in West Texas, allegedly

3 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I chose to go to Tech after spending three semesters at a high level academic school in the Northeast when I realized that I wasn't going to set the College Football world on fire back in 1982.  I contribute to the school financially and in any other way I can.  I have strong feelings for my school and the region from which I came.

When I saw the announcement by the University of Cincinnati that they had hired Tommy Tuberville, I was ecstatic.  I was as happy as could be to see that jackass son of bitch leave.  But not with Kliff

This one hurts.  Not because I didn't want to see him fired.  His record was not good enough for Tech to keep him another season.  But because he represented the school so well, with professionalism and integrity.  I really wanted him to succeed.

I only had one personal interaction with him.  My dad and I were sitting in the stands, watching the spring game in, I think, 2005.  He was a few rows behind us and was being hounded by little kids and teenage girls wanting his autograph and pictures.  He looked down a few rows, saw us, and I guess figured we'd be the least invasive people in the area and a good escape.  So he sat down and just asked us how we were doing.  We had a really nice 15 minute conversation with him.  A very funny, smart charming guy.  (I wanted to ask him just how great it was to hold Jessica Simpson's sweet, unleashed rack, but my dad and all) Talked about his New England experience and you could tell then, even from that short conversation, that he wanted to coach or do something teaching football

And yes, CSB

I don't know your dad, and even though I'm probably a little bit younger than he was at that point in time,  I can pretty confidently say you should have asked Kliff about Dukes of Hazzard era Jessica. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

55 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

He sexed a lot of girls at K-State. Occasionally, whether they wanted him to or not. Allegedly.

My brother-in-law went to KState around this time and we were talking about why Venables has never been a HC over Thanksgiving.  He pretty much said the same thing you and several others have posted on here.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

5 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Movies like Hell or High Water can do so much to enhance any potential recruit’s decision to actually decide to attend a university out on the waste lands of Lubbock.

If it's east of the Pecos, it's really West Texas or West West Texas.

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Yes, because Holgorsen is totally the same as Belichek.

If you read below that retarded post you’ll see I heard WV apparently isn’t giving Red Bull the love he deserves.  If they did I highly doubt Tech has a chance at taking their corch.  My 2 cents. 

Hell, I was born in Lubbock, and still have family there.  Most of our cousins went to UT but Tech is our second favorite team. I hope I’m wrong and tech lands a big fish. 

Good people out there.  They deserve a winner. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dewey said:
1 hour ago, slorch said:
Top 10 is elite, however fleeting that might have been...

Like snow falling and melting

Well, we can’t spend money on mediocrity like Texas, that’s for sure...

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

An even better question is how many of the Top 100 football recruits in Texas have even seen Hell or High Water and of those, how many are stupid enough to believe that's a realistic portrayal of the Texas Tech campus?  And mostly because none of the movie took place in Lubbock or in anything but a small town in West Texas, allegedly

The entire film was done in New Mexico.

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you read below that retarded post you’ll see I heard WV apparently isn’t giving Red Bull the love he deserves.  If they did I highly doubt Tech has a chance at taking their corch.  My 2 cents. 

Hell, I was born in Lubbock, and still have family there.  Most of our cousins went to UT but Tech is our second favorite team. I hope I’m wrong and tech lands a big fish. 

Good people out there.  They deserve a winner. 

I don't think Holgorsen will come to Tech, but I don't think he's the caliber of coach that should elicit the "oh, and they're also looking at Nick Saban, yuk yuk" cliche.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Top 10 is elite, however fleeting that might have been...

Much as I like Tech, they have never, ever been an elite team. They were very good in 2008...good enough to compete with elite teams at points when the circumstances were right (night, halloween, number 1 Texas, espn, etc.), but not elite. Elite teams don't get completely blown off the field or allow 65 points as Tech did that year form Oklahoma - and OU could have scored more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Much as I like Tech, they have never, ever been an elite team. They were very good in 2008...good enough to compete with elite teams at points when the circumstances were right (night, halloween, number 1 Texas, espn, etc.), but not elite. Elite teams don't get completely blown off the field or allow 65 points as Tech did that year form Oklahoma - and OU could have scored more.

sorry to have missed out on your endorsement...

Who the fuck is this guy?

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

sorry to have missed out on your endorsement...

Who the fuck is this guy?

...someone who posted a message board opinion different than your post? relax dude - it's not even your thread and I didn't attack you in any case. Life is too short.

Just reading this thread, there are some misconceptions about what Tech can afford. 

Truth is, things have changed drastically in the last 2 decades in terms of money available for hiring coaching talent. I believe we have been tighter than most in this regard. Even if we could compete on that level with Texas or aggy (we cannot), we wouldn’t. Were not too far off the pace IMO.

We do dumb shit, but not with the money. 

We’d open funding for Dana for sure, and Venables if he checks out. Dana would work. BV would not....just not a fit, imo.

Only knock on Venables is he has never had all of the responsibility before, and were not interested in going thru another trial period. Personally, i think there are better HC candidates on the Clemson staff than BV. 

We would not consider The Major and he probably would not want to be in Lubbock. 

The Troy HC Neal Brown is doing well and I like him as a darkhorse over Littrell. He was the only bright spot on Tubs staff at Tech and bounced back nicely. One thing he has over the others is that he has taken inferior talent into Norman and blown their doors off despite his HC cutting his nuts.

There is this notion that if we would just get a defense, all problems solved. Pfft. Bama has a goddamn D. Nobody else does. 

Only freaks across the 2 deep is shutdown D possible. But we could be better.  

Other than that, the Utah St HC has a record but i have no clue about him. 

If this were 2 years ago Id want PJ Fleck...just to see the show. 

Beat OU. Again. Please. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Slorch 🙄

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)