Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

Lutz at the idea any successful established coach would even think of going to Lubbock.

They will do what they have always done, which is one of two things. Either take a chance on a complete unknown (like Kliff, or Leach). Or a guy with some baggage (ala’ pass the rolls Tuberville), that hopefully isn’t too distasteful to the people that matter. That’s it...

• Like 1

An NFL team should give him a call. The Cowboys won’t do it because that might take the spotlight away from Jerry.  I’m thinking a team with nothing to lose like the Cardinals, Jets, or Browns.  He’d pair up well with Mayfield.
Yeah because he and Mayfield got along so well the 1st time around.

55 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Everyone keeps saying he's a good OC...

His best plays were Johnny scrambling and throwing it up to Mike Evans.

He can call Air Raid, but who is convinced calling Air Raid is difficult or effective at a championship level?

He's a great QB coach and QB talent scout and his teams rack up yardage and points when you look at the aggregate, but in terms of in game strategy and play calling, he's actually not that great.

6 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Why do you think Tech is considering Briles?

Why wouldn't they? Briles is a damned good coach, and the fact that he is a cheating, lying motherfucker,  just puts him right spang in the middle of the majority of coaches, only more successful than pretty nearly all of them.

EDIT: oh. right. the rape thing. Pffft, it's Lubbock... 

Edited by Tex Long

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Somebody on this thread stated that they were. 

Lots of people are saying lots of things, and almost all of them are pure speculation.  Right now, there's one name out there of a candidate that Tech is actually looking at: Brent Venables.  He may or may not come, but that's it so far.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Why wouldn't they? Briles is a damned good coach, and the fact that he is a cheating, lying motherfucker,  just puts him right spang in the middle of the majority of coaches, only more successful than pretty nearly all of them. 

I'd rather be worse than Kansas for the next 20 years than have that piece of shit as the face of Texas Tech football.

4 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Lots of people are saying lots of things, and almost all of them are pure speculation.  Right now, there's one name out there of a candidate that Tech is actually looking at: Brent Venables.  He may or may not come, but that's it so far.

Sure, and Briles was the only speculative name that seemed objectionable. 

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I'd rather be worse than Kansas for the next 20 years than have that piece of shit as the face of Texas Tech football.

Oh, I agree with you, absolutely, but remember the Pirate's Curse, which has led from Tubersteak to Coach GQ so far... Briles is the logical next step, no?

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Not sure what you don't understand; names came up in this thread. Briles was one. I suggested that he shouldn't be considered. That's it. 

He's the worst.  I don't know if you expect me to repudiate or approve every name mentioned, but he's the worst and Tech is not going to hire him.

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Brett McMurphy just tweeted that Tom Luginbill reported Mack Brown back to UNC to replace the fired Larry Fedora.

why does that seem so fucking weird to me?

Are they offering up a Brinks truck?  Do they think he's Bill Snyder?

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I'd take Mackovic over Briles in a heartbeat, but I don't know if JM would find Lubbock's fine dining scene to be up to his standards.

One Guy from Italy...of course!

45 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

EDIT: oh. right. the rape thing. Pffft, it's Lubbock... 

Tech girls don't have to be raped.

• Haha 1

Others have noted he would make a great OC here but I don't think Herman's ego will let that happen. Given that, just don't want him as an OC in the Big 12, primarily KU. That would be great for them and bad for Texas.

And this is why you hire the guy. Keeps him away from the competition.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lincoln Riley's offenses have always had a great running game.  The other "Air Raid's", not so much.

Does anyone else vaguely remember the idea of some Tech booster to make Coach Bro into some Hollywood celebrity?  Am I wrong about that?

It was some douche bag that owned a clothing store / T-shirt shop near campus.  He published some list of his ideas for Kliff to maximize his marketability of some such.  One national outlet found it humorous and a lot of people thought it was something official

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)