Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

So Germans are selfish assholes...

Meme Reaction GIF

Germans, Austrians, Swiss. Just something in that whole culture. I admire the loving shit out of them, and I’ve known plenty of generous, warm, unselfish Germans, but as an aggregate? Selfish, conceited, our farts don’t stink assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Kherson? I don’t understand what you mean by that. 

As a ruse for Kharkiv - West Point actually has a nice write-up about that stuff (Schwarzkopf gets a nice shout-out about deceiving the Iraqis by using the media, just as everybody though Ukraine was going after Kherson).

The Kherson Ruse: Ukraine and the Art of Military Deception - Modern War Institute (usma.edu)

We've recently seen some odd strikes at or around Mariupol and a few other places (I think somebody said Crimea) while Bakhmut is occupying a lot of the air in the room, just as Kherson was occupying a lot of air in the room while Ukraine was getting ready for Kharkiv.

I just don't think that Ukraine is holding Bakhmut to hold it, simply because they don't want to give up any more territory.  It feels like they've run the numbers and concluded that the losses are worth whatever they are planning.

46 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

An interesting consideration is how they are treating the different levels of RU troops. Bakmout has level Wagner, so the counter offensive would be up against mobilized forces. 

I thought Russian forces had moved into Bakhumt and that Wagner was on the way out (and also out of ammo, etc.).

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a ruse for Kharkiv - West Point actually has a nice write-up about that stuff (Schwarzkopf gets a nice shout-out about deceiving the Iraqis by using the media, just as everybody though Ukraine was going after Kherson).

The Kherson Ruse: Ukraine and the Art of Military Deception - Modern War Institute (usma.edu)

We've recently seen some odd strikes at or around Mariupol and a few other places (I think somebody said Crimea) while Bakhmut is occupying a lot of the air in the room, just as Kherson was occupying a lot of air in the room while Ukraine was getting ready for Kharkiv.

I just don't think that Ukraine is holding Bakhmut to hold it, simply because they don't to give up any more territory.  It feels like they've run the numbers and concluded that the losses are worth whatever they are planning.

I thought Russian forces had moved into Bakhumt and that Wagner was on the way out (and also out of ammo, etc.).

Wagner got more ammo. From what I’ve read they’re the ones making advances on the northern flanks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I still want a movie or a series made for this (maybe updated to replace mafia with other "bad guys"...)

Closest we will get are stuff like the Jack Ryan/Kelly shows, maybe the John Wick movies, Expendables, etc.

I was thinking the other day it'd be cool to see a Survivalist TV show (based on the 1980s books by Jerry Ahern), but probably not gonna happen because of all of the post-apocalypse shows we ended up with (Walking Dead, Last of Us, etc.). 

Also, the Russians are not nearly as competent as what they were portrayed in 1980s doomsday/survivalist stuff. And COVID showed that all of the survivalists/preppers in the US apparently couldn't go a few weeks without eating at a Chilis or getting their hair cut at SuperCuts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Ukraine is taking that armor straight to Mariupol.

Mark it down.

I'd love that, but by my count they'd be facing 13 regiments between the current lines and Mariupol.  Additionally, they'd be opening a salient of approximately 80 miles, which would required enough combat power to in turn hold an additional 160 plus miles of front lines (each side).  I think they will get there, but smaller steps will have to be done to keep supply lines.  I am hoping for near Tokmak to cut rail and isolate western occupied territory.  I think this is achievable and could be done prior to spring. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hard to say how accurate casualty figures are, but he points out that all of those Russians killed/removed from service over the past year are exactly the folks who probably would have been training a lot of the recently mobilized coming in.

That list bothers the shit out of me. 

It doesn’t change his point. But he’s got wars and battles thrown in together. He doesn’t include Vietnam, Korea, or the Iran-Iraq war. He includes Black Hawk Down, which was intended to be an enforcement operation to capture and incarcerate a specific warlord using US troops that then turned into a military operation. 

He’s all over the place. Not a fan. If you’re trying to make a point about Ukraine-Russia losses and their ratios, use comparisons that are useful. 

That said, the 1991 Gulf War is a little lol. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hard to say how accurate casualty figures are, but he points out that all of those Russians killed/removed from service over the past year are exactly the folks who probably would have been training a lot of the recently mobilized coming in.

I wonder how the ratios at the beginning when Russia had the initiative versus the last 6 months or so

47 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is a good thread on Ukr casualty numbers.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Give them all 11 with the promise that they will give one back at the end of the war. Like a lease. 

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it turned into gentleman's fisticuffs when Uncle Vlad started drinking.

They stopped? 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are their mechanics super busy or do they have nothing to do?

See above quote. They have to drink vodka. That can take a lot out of a troop. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

As much as I love this ratio being in Ukraine's favor it seems kind of low considering Russia has far more bodies to burn through. Maybe deepfake Joe Biden really will bring back the draft and send American soldiers "to freedom"

He admits it's off simply because the Russian casualties are probably much higher (this was a military that hauls around mobile crematoriums),but go with what's been confirmed, and it's very interesting because the Russians still publicly maintain that they are taking heavy casualties.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

He’s all over the place. Not a fan. If you’re trying to make a point about Ukraine-Russia losses and their ratios, use comparisons that are useful. 

That said, the 1991 Gulf War is a little lol. 

Not the best (he was trying to make a point elsewhere in the thread about his choices), but yeah, the 1991 Gulf War.....absolutely brutal.  That was practically peak Cold War NATO working together against a common enemy (complete with joint commands, joint targeting assignments, etc.), and we happened to have quite a few regional allies who joined in.

And now Ukraine is using a lot of the stuff from that era that we put into storage.  Some irony.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, 686 said:

UA assaulting a Russian held trench. Looks like a scene from WWII. One of the UA guys gets clipped, but still moving, Russians get lit up pretty good. Outcome unclear. The fact that the Ukrainians are assaulting trenches on foot is something different. Would have been really nice to drop a drone grenade on the Russians right before you storm the trench.

Jesus God that's tense footage. 

The footage is from The Omega Company who I've seen a bunch of loitering munitions from. But those drones don't exactly have an unlimited payload. 

I know myself well enough to know I could assault a trench knowing my life was on the line while doing so. I could defend a trench against an opponent that outnumbered me. It's the grind these guys go through I can't really conceive of. You assault one trench, then you move on to the next one. You defend against one assault, now the next one comes pouring in right after it. Hour after hour. Day after day. I just don't have the perspective. I read the accounts of people on both sides of WWI, or the island assaults in the Pacific in WWII. It takes a special person to keep going under those conditions, and you don't really know if you're that type of person, or just as importantly the person next to you is that type of person, until you're in that situation.

Here's to hoping a lot of Russians find out in the days/weeks/months to come that they're not actually that type of person. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Germans, Austrians, Swiss. Just something in that whole culture. I admire the loving shit out of them, and I’ve known plenty of generous, warm, unselfish Germans, but as an aggregate? Selfish, conceited, our farts don’t stink assholes. 

After WWII my dad’s opinion was that he was not fond of the French, he detested the British and their class culture, and he said that overall the nicest people that he’d met were the Germans….. at least after they’d stopped trying to kill him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

After WWII my dad’s opinion was that he was not fond of the French, he detested the British and their class culture, and he said that overall the nicest people that he’d met were the Germans….. at least after they’d stopped trying to kill him.

Yeah, stereotypes can get rough pretty quick. Good thing Americans don't have any bad ones. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

The US equipment still had 4ID on them, which made me happy.  These assholes called down the thunder, now they are gonna get it.  

Yep, agree. FAFO. 

Just surprised since we all know tomorrow Russia media will be screaming See, the WEST is invading us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Yep. My grandfather was similar. Contempt for the French and Dutch. Loved the Germans, said they were hospitable and industrious (were cleaning up shattered villages before the battle dust even settled). He also developed a life-long love for potato bread.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Dad loved his time in Germany. First time was in 1957. Seems he served there at least 1 year a decade over his long career in the Army. Food was good, women were "kind" but he had an issue with their military. In 1975 he was sent over as liaison to the GSG-9 to help them continue reorganization after Munich. 

I don't blame Germany for their reluctance. To this day a lot of the leadership remembers the USSR and they were part of the few and privilidged who benefited. Add to that Germany's historic animosity towards US forces among the educated it is a tight rope. 

But they don't need the fucking leopards if our M-1's are there. They seem to forget that this has been a benefit for them for a long time. We guarded the Fulda Gap, not them. 

Always enjoyed my time in Germany. Fuck Hungary and Austria. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Drone grenade on Russians unloading out of an APC. The clusterfuck at the back of the APC pre-grenade is kinda interesting. Who’s staying? Who’s going? Who’s shot? I’m not shouting, you’re shouting! Boom!

• Hook 'Em 1