Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

More accurately, the A-10 was designed to be used while WE have air superiority. They're not the most agile planes and thanks to being low to the ground for CAS, are extremely vulnerable to MANPADs. 

The russian SU25 is a pretty close analogue to our A10, and SU25s have been getting knocked down pretty regularly unless they hug the deck and stay over the horizon away from their targets 

Not saying it is perfect, I prefer more HIMARS and SAMs, but the argument that they do not have a place on the modern battlefield is not true. 

They would fit into the vision of a modern UA network perhaps. When Ukraine wins their next set of equipment will be western. Might as well be US stuff. Y

I don't see us giving them Predators anytime soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, Brisketexan said:

“What air defense doing?”

“Is potato.”

Also, the boy and his buddies made a potato cannon over Xmas break. It was hellaciously powerful. They used 3D printed sabot rounds, though.

58185b0e20342623c7acde5d15f13560.jpg

Went right through the “armor” on their shitty technical, so I presume it would pierce most Russian armor as well.

Pos rep for the luminarias

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, Brisketexan said:

“What air defense doing?”

“Is potato.”

Also, the boy and his buddies made a potato cannon over Xmas break. It was hellaciously powerful. They used 3D printed sabot rounds, though.

58185b0e20342623c7acde5d15f13560.jpg

Went right through the “armor” on their shitty technical, so I presume it would pierce most Russian armor as well.

That's badass. Might not want ATF to find out about it though.

18 hours ago, 686 said:

Well, we’re there. Russian dude puts his hands up after the first grenade as though he would like to surrender to the drone. Drone operator declines and gives him another grenade. Is surrendering to a drone legally a surrender?

Two thoughts on this. First, several of those dudes already appeared to be dead. Just laying in a trench or whatever. Wonder how many there are like that all over the place? Second, are a lot of these homemade grenades or something? I always assumed grenades were far deadlier, but there are so many videos were people are still moving around even after two have exploded within a few feet of them. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He's a POS. I don't think the Ukrainians have anything to do with him except "oh you want to go into Russia and fuck with their army/FSB? Sure."

The whole thing has been amateur hour just stinking of someone seeking attention. I'm going to keep assuming it's a false flag operation, because that makes me feel better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/2/2023 at 1:56 AM, Bevo said:

A good percentage of my relatives were gassed or executed in concentration camps, so we probably have a different view of the Germans. A few, mainly children without their parents, were lucky enough to escape to the US and after having to raise themselves, learn a new language and rise from poverty and prejudice were able to start a new life. Now we rule this motherfucker.

I got next up... And want all the upvotes, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Germany asks Swiss to sell some of their mothballed 2A4 Leopards to them to backfill sending more Leopards to Ukraine.

https://www.rferl.org/amp/ukraine-leopard-tanks-germany-switzerland/32297607.html

It's funny seeing the photo of those Leopard 1 tanks the Belgium businessman bought from his government and now the Belgium defense minister wants to buy them back for a discount rate. I wonder what's going on with that story?

Man, the Swiss have not been making any friends on the ammo front. Brazil either. They have a ton of Gepard ammo that they're not releasing, along with some howitzer ammo. The real issue is they're a manufacturing center for a lot of it, and they're saying their neutrality rules prevent 3rd parties from selling military hardware that the Swiss have manufactured. Including ammo. There's some talk in the opposition party to change the rules so they can protect their defense industry, otherwise countries aren't going to purchase their ammo from them any more.

I realize that's not the point of the article, but it reminded me of some of the issues with dealing with the Swiss. It's been amazing seeing them trying to contort themselves to remain factors in Europe while still trying to keep to their tradition of neutrality, which I get is very important to them regardless of what I think about it. 

I was also reading an article on Oryx today basically defending the Germans' contribution to the Ukrainian war effort, while admitting their political posturing has made them look bad. They were making comparisons of the German contribution with the French, for example - because of course they're comparing it to the French, they're Germans - and the French were not looking so hot. 

Anyway, thanks for the link. I hope they are able to get it sorted out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I realize that's not the point of the article, but it reminded me of some of the issues with dealing with the Swiss. It's been amazing seeing them trying to contort themselves to remain factors in Europe while still trying to keep to their tradition of neutrality, which I get is very important to them regardless of what I think about it. 

It is amazing how much goodwill the Swiss have earned for essentially being the bankers for Germans who wanted to hide their assets.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Man, the Swiss have not been making any friends on the ammo front. Brazil either. They have a ton of Gepard ammo that they're not releasing, along with some howitzer ammo. The real issue is they're a manufacturing center for a lot of it, and they're saying their neutrality rules prevent 3rd parties from selling military hardware that the Swiss have manufactured. Including ammo. There's some talk in the opposition party to change the rules so they can protect their defense industry, otherwise countries aren't going to purchase their ammo from them any more. 

Biden Administration Announces Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine

March 3, 2023  

Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance to meet Ukraine's critical security and defense needs. This package features more ammunition and support equipment for Ukraine's precision fires, artillery, and armored vehicle operations. This authorization is the Biden Administration's thirty-third drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021 and is valued at up to $400 million.
  • Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
  • Additional 155mm artillery rounds;
  • Additional 105mm artillery rounds; 
  • Additional 25mm ammunition; 
  • Armored Vehicle Launched Bridges;
  • Demolition munitions and equipment for obstacle clearing;
  • Testing and diagnostic equipment to support vehicle maintenance and repair;
  • Spare parts and other field equipment.

I get why strategically they can’t let Russia know how many shells we are giving Ukraine, but it’s frustrating hearing about ammo shortages and not knowing how much we are supplying. Is this feel good PR - or a significant amount of ammo they can help Ukraine? No way to know.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Says the Ukrainians signed off on the raid.

Highly doubt that. If anything, Ukrainians probably just said “we don’t give a fuck, please stop calling us.”

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How "far right" is that guy?

Well, their flag is a lesser known Nazi symbol, sooo….

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Two thoughts on this. First, several of those dudes already appeared to be dead. Just laying in a trench or whatever. Wonder how many there are like that all over the place? Second, are a lot of these homemade grenades or something? I always assumed grenades were far deadlier, but there are so many videos were people are still moving around even after two have exploded within a few feet of them. 

I have been wondering this as well.  Maybe they are just surplus soviet shit where they were only loaded with half of the charge...

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Second, are a lot of these homemade grenades or something? I always assumed grenades were far deadlier, but there are so many videos were people are still moving around even after two have exploded within a few feet of them. 

After we threw grenades in Basic, we cleaned up the range and picked up lots of shreds of metal that looked like really thick burnt aluminum foil. They told us the grenades would kill us by cutting us. I guess the blast could hurt you if you were trapped in a tight space with it, but mostly they warned us about the flying metal.

As for those guys still moving, I dunno. I read where a combat vet said if you hit the dirt, one could blow up ten feet away and not hurt you because most of the blast (and thus, the metal bits) went up. Maybe these drone video "survivors" are on uneven terrain not obvious in the top-down view, and something blew up really close by but was higher up?

I suspect a lot of the guys moving around after the blast may not even know they are bleeding out yet.

The grenades may suck, or even be deliberately underpowered. In olden times I learned that there were defensive grenades and offensive grenades. The defensive ones had more charge because you're in your hole throwing them out into the open. The offensive type had less blast and were for use by advancing troops who risk moving into the blast of their own grenades. I believe the German potato mashers were this type. I have no idea what the specs are on what the drone crews have.

We may even be seeing the Russians digging "grenade sumps" into their fighting positions. That's a deeper hole of to one side of the hole where, in theory, you kick any incoming grenades while immediately limbo-ing off to the far side, so it blows all/most/some of its crispy jagged metal skyward.

I hesitate to assign competence to the Russians, but even an uneven pockmarked floor might accidentally serve as a grenade sump.

GrenadeSump.webp

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Most of the grenades I've seen in videos are small.  Their kill zone won't be very big, and as @RDCanecutter said, uneven ground will dissipate a lot of blast and shrapnel.  I want to see them dropping 60mm or 82mm HE and WP rounds on those clusterfucks we've been seeing.  Those will do some real damage, but may be too heavy for the drones.

ETA - Of course the WP rounds are to destroy the weapons and equipment in the area, not targeted on personnel.  That would be wrong.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

19 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I would add, that if you're hit by shrapnel, you're probably not dying real quick. And, with Russia, I would be willing to bet that if you survive bleeding out, you're probably going to get an infection that'll kill too

Yeah but you've already shipped home a washing machine and two toilets plus your mom's getting a fur coat. So at the end of the day it's still a step up for the average Russian.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

How "far right" is that guy?

A neo-nazi POS. Part of Russian Volunteer Corp which is comprised of Russian nationalists who want to overthrew Putin because of his imperialism. Why against imperialism? Because holding foreign territories is just another way for "multi-nationalist cuckoldry". These assholes want an ethnically pure Russia which does not mix with the other non-white cultures. So great if they can kill Putin...not so great if they actually take over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, dimyh said:

These assholes want an ethnically pure Russia which does not mix with the other non-white cultures. So great if they can kill Putin...not so great if they actually take over.

Do they realize how many other non-whites are in Russia?  Are they just going to cut loose all of the 'stans and Siberia?

Or can we get a nice long civil war going, complete with oligarchs buying off official Russian military units and turning it into some kind of PMC vs PMC vs these Neo-nutcases?

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do they realize how many other non-whites are in Russia?  Are they just going to cut loose all of the 'stans and Siberia?

Or can we get a nice long civil war going, complete with oligarchs buying off official Russian military units and turning it into some kind of PMC vs PMC vs these Neo-nutcases?

These fucktards couldn't get a revolution going on Gilligan's Island, much less Russia.

These are exactly the kind of opponents Putin has done a great job of empowering over the course of his career, meanwhile poisoning, shooting, imprisoning, and exiling anyone who is a legitimate threat. They're buffoons. I hate it they're getting any oxygen whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Let's chill on calling death to all citizens of any country. There are definitely a lot of shit bags deserving of that but don't just lump everyone in. 

I'm just curious what an acceptable percentage is? "Let's kill 40% of them!" doesn't have the same ring to it, but for practical purposes, if that's what we're looking to adhere to, I think we could work with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Let's chill on calling death to all citizens of any country. There are definitely a lot of shit bags deserving of that but don't just lump everyone in. 

4572204E-FBAE-40A6-9ACC-D73B4F4E39A5.gif.bab3fdc69f54511d855b2fa7d22b245a.gif

Kill everyone who shares her baby killing views. Better?

The numbers won’t change much tho..

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Moldovan = Romanian with Cyrillic characters invented by the Soviets to try and force Moldova closer to Russian maybe the Soviets didn't want to bother with a different alphabet there.

Romanian = Latin alphabet

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think that's what that Russian babushka was saying.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1