Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

16 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The armor can be pierced with 5.56 AP ammo.  In the late 1990s the US tested the new AP 5.56 rounds versus a captured Soviet BRDM2 (which has roughly equivalent armor).  The test showed that it would be a bad day for any Russian soldiers sitting in the vehicle.

The Bradley Bushmaster 25mm would go thru like buttah, as would the 20mm Marder1A3 cannon.   

Bring them on!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

know we've shit on the Germans for being so reluctant to support Ukraine, but they're really stepping up in major ways across the board. And not just with their own stuff. They've been pressuring others to step up their game, too.

And some of the moves they are making, while they may not help in the next say 6 months, they are contributing towards a more stable/capable Ukraine in the long run, and making it highly-undesirable for Putin or his successors to fuck around with them.  Ukraine is fighting well above their class, and these moves are contributing to that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Never have there been truer words

DC40943F-2E2D-4FDA-9858-62C4BB37BE8F.thumb.jpeg.704815577b7113615e9afefd00b93262.jpeg

The screenshot cut off the good stuff Bama - the tanks and armored combat vehicles.

I wish someone would calculate the losses in rubles/ dollars.    Given the current sanctions, I wonder how long it would take for those assholes to replace this kit.    I don’t think I’ll be alive to see it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I wish someone would calculate the losses in rubles/ dollars.    Given the current sanctions, I wonder how long it would take for those assholes to replace this kit.    I don’t think I’ll be alive to see it.

It’s not even about the sanctions/money now - Russia can only produce a few dozen tanks a month, actually only around 20, and their BMP factories were in Ukraine.

I looked up the production of some of their speciality armored vehicles like radar, command and control, artillery FDC, etc. and some of those production runs ended 20 or more years ago. There’s no way they have the equipment or institutional knowledge to manufacture new runs. The US has been known to keep production lines on some vehicles open for years, with a lowered output for spare parts and to keep knowledgeable people around (and for the occasional foreign sales or upgrades).   

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The US has been known to keep production lines on some vehicles open for years, with a lowered output for spare parts and to keep knowledgeable people around (and for the occasional foreign sales or upgrades).   

And to keep votes in key Congressional districts.  But in this case we'll allow it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I know what I'm doing tonight

It's streaming in all its glory on Amazon.  

Long ago, I had a roommate that was a Notre Dame grad, he did impart great wisdom.  We were watching MXC one evening, and he made the comment, "You know, the Japanese are truly wonderful people, they've given us so much, like NIntendo, crazy game shows, and bukkake."  We may or may not have been high, I'll leave that for you to judge.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

All the one I saw was Poland, that's a bummer.  

Probably some of them have problems and are breaking down.

94C20AA3-BF23-4C96-9A92-B1DB034798F1.gif.13563f9344b86162ed633b94e56c599e.gif

We may have to leave them in Poland to get fixed.  

And then if they are not operable that second, we write them off - - which qualifies them as drawdown equipment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Probably some of them have problems and are breaking down.

94C20AA3-BF23-4C96-9A92-B1DB034798F1.gif.13563f9344b86162ed633b94e56c599e.gif

We may have to leave them in Poland to get fixed.  

And then if they are not operable that second, we write them off - - which qualifies them as drawdown equipment.  

Yo man, I ain't falling for the banana in the tail pipe!

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Well, I know if given the choice which of the two I would want to get into to.  

In so far as the Germans wanting to build a tank factory in Ukraine, I take that as a good sign that the Germans are coming around to reality.  They can either be partners with the Ukrainians or competitors.  Cooperation will benefit both in the long term, perhaps we are seeing seeing the end of German protectionism with them moving towards actually taking a partner leadership role within the EU (probably wishful thinking, but hey, it's something).  

Ukraine is a surplus energy producer and they have undeveloped Oil and Gas fields.  Yeah, getting in with Ukraine could pay off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Ukraine is a surplus energy producer and they have undeveloped Oil and Gas fields.  Yeah, getting in with Ukraine could pay off.

There were American companies working with Ukraine on developing some of those fields, but then shit happened.

And when Ukraine pushes Russia back and can get those oil and gas fields opened up, Europe won't have to even think about Russian oil and gas as they'll have a much closer source (once that many of them have now supported a lot). I've wondered if that's a part of what drove last year's invasion - Ukraine being close to putting a serious dent into Russia's exports.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There were American companies working with Ukraine on developing some of those fields, but then shit happened.

And when Ukraine pushes Russia back and can get those oil and gas fields opened up, Europe won't have to even think about Russian oil and gas as they'll have a much closer source (once that many of them have now supported a lot). I've wondered if that's a part of what drove last year's invasion - Ukraine being close to putting a serious dent into Russia's exports.

Good point.  The oil guys on Surly will probably know, but I thought there were a bunch of oil and gas right off shore.  Maybe this is just a pure resource grab being labeled something else

13 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Good point.  The oil guys on Surly will probably know, but I thought there were a bunch of oil and gas right off shore.  Maybe this is just a pure resource grab being labeled something else

The usual suspects (Chevron, ExxonMobil, Haliburton, etc.) were already involved with Russian companies but I swear I remember hearing some working with Ukraine, and I came across this from March of 2021 (wow, Atlantic Council had great timing a year before SHTF)

Why the Black Sea could emerge as the world’s next great energy battleground - Atlantic Council

Why the Black Sea could emerge as the world’s next great energy battleground

A recent CEPA strategy paper noted that the Black Sea region was not only a frontier between the West and Russia, but also the meeting point of four great forces: democracy in the West, Russian military aggression to the north, growing Chinese financial influence to the east, and Middle Eastern instability in the south.

To fend off rising Chinese inroads and Russian aggression, it said, the West and NATO would have to produce a multi-layered strategy. This would involve helping littoral states build strong economies while encouraging collaboration among them.

Such a vision would consolidate security on NATO’s southeastern flank. It would bring alliance members Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey closer together with NATO’s strongest partners, Georgia and Ukraine.

One element that could underpin these objectives would be the development of Black Sea gas reserves which are being explored in the offshore zones of each littoral state. These reserves could become the linchpin of an integrated regional economy.

In recent months, Romanian-Austrian integrated oil and gas company, OMV Petrom, which has been developing Romania’s Neptun Deep project together with US company ExxonMobil, has been seeking cooperation opportunities with neighboring countries.

In February 2021, it signed a memorandum of understanding with Naftogaz for joint gas exploration projects in Ukraine. Last summer, it increased its share in the Bulgarian Khan Asparuh project to 42.86% following the transfer of Spain Repsol’s 30% stake. The company also won a bid for exploration in Georgia’s offshore Block II.

Just like neighboring Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey, Ukraine is looking to replace outdated coal-fired power plants, which cover around 40% of their total installed capacity, with cleaner fuels.

Natural gas produced in the Black Sea could help them to transition to renewable generation in a way that would not only guarantee reliable baseload capacity, but also access cost-effective means of generation. Moreover, the Black Sea region could become an integrated hub of innovation for the development of new technologies including hydrogen produced from natural gas and renewable forms of generation.

The Black Sea’s offshore wind potential is one of the highest in Europe, with Turkey’s conservatively estimated at 11 GW, Romania’s at 94 GW, and Ukraine’s at no less than 100 GW.

This abundance of natural gas and renewable energy potential could help Black Sea countries to set up hydrogen production clusters for supplies that would help decarbonize polluting industries such as steel, cement, glass, or car manufacturing as well as increase exports to Europe. Such a vision, however, could not be achieved without an integrated market approach where natural gas or hydrogen could flow freely from the Carpathians and the Balkans to the Urals.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

It was stated early on in this thread and with the invasion.  Ukraine has large untapped oil and gas fields that could equal the size of Russia’s known reserves.  They are located in the East near the Donbas and Luhansk regions, in the west near Transnistria, and (I know this will shock everyone) off shore in the Black Sea and the country that owns Crimea is the country with the right to those underwater reserves.

They were being developed and researched by Western companies until the Crimean invasion and the Donbas “insurrection”.

How ironic that it is these three regions right!   Total coincidence.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

But that's just icing on top of the cake, right? Humiliating Putin is the real prize.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Yeah, I'm guessing armor on these isn't exactly ablative 

It's honestly so pathetic that I am at a loss for how to even make fun of it.  This is the kind of shit a vocational high school welding class does as a goofy project.  

Just imagine being inside that monstrosity when some mobik starts firing that thing.

• Hook 'Em 4