Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

51 minutes ago, 686 said:

Drone grenade on Russians unloading out of an APC. The clusterfuck at the back of the APC pre-grenade is kinda interesting. Who’s staying? Who’s going? Who’s shot? I’m not shouting, you’re shouting! Boom!

Clusterfuck. 

Love the turret aiming backwards at them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I still say as historic cultures the Austrians, Germans and Swiss are self conceited arrogant assholes who are convinced their farts don’t stink. It has less to do with the Holocaust, Dutch famines, and tensions between liberators versus conquerors and more with something deeply embedded. Not necessarily at a genetic level, but for sure on a powerful sociological one. 

I’ll put it this way. Calling a German/Austrian/Swiss OCD is a bit like calling an Irishman an alcoholic. 

Edit: Oh, and I should emphasize these are generalizations. It should be assumed I’m aware there are very distinct cultural differences even within those countries. Not everyone is the same. I still stand by the characterization as a whole. 

And while the Germans’ Final Solution was on a different scale, the number of cultures that have done bad things to Jews around the world is a very long list. They just didn’t load them all into trains and straight up murder 6 million of them.

But since this thread is about the Ukraine War, I’ll point out Russia is famous for its historical pogroms, even while Jews have always made up an important part of its intelligentsia. Russian Jews have been a critical part of the success of Israel, too.

Same with virtually all of Europe, really. It’s pretty easy for me to argue that Europe’s world hegemony and the dominance of Judeo-Christian culture doesn’t happen without the Judeo part. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 4

Apparently a new Russian disinformation campaign is starting, this time featuring the "Russian Volunteer Corps"

I can't even begin to take this seriously. We'll see how much mileage they get out of this. 

It's also never clear to me how much is for domestic and how much is for a foreign audience. I could see this playing well with the domestic audience. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Important to remember the difference between nations and civilians that had been brutalized and occupied by the Nazis for years versus Germans who had mostly lived well (outside most large cities, German towns and villages were almost untouched). The Dutch, for instance, had a serious famine in winter 1944 and 1945 in a big part of the country and many were literally starving upon liberation. The French had lived through occupation and chronic looting, shortages, hunger, and forced labor.  Even where the Germans weren’t killing, they were pillaging and making sure that the Reich stayed as comfortable as possible off the wealth and labor of their occupied zones. And of course, the Germans wanted very badly to get on good terms with the Western Allies because they understood what was coming from the East. 

When you read memoirs of Soviet (and to a lesser extent, British/American) soldiers, you note how astonished they were to find prosperous, comfortable, civilized  farms and homes set in little fairy-tale forests and villages. The average German farmer had wealth and comforts beyond what any Soviet soldier could fathom, right up till the end of the war. Americans were more likely to succumb to the extensive charms of liberated Germany while the Soviets were whipped into a fury upon seeing first-hand that this wealthy and happy nation living off the fat of the land came to benighted Ukraine and Belarus and Russia to rob and steal from people far poorer. 

The Dutch, French, Belgians, etc. weren’t “themselves” as a nation at all and then you add in the tension in every war like this where the liberators feel some anger at the conquered for allowing themselves to fall while the liberated chafe at the idea that they’re supposed to feel gratitude and happiness after years of brutality and it gets toxic, the straightforward “victor/loser”’ dynamic is easier to grapple with especially when the loss came quickly and the victors are well-behaved. 

That’s a great point. I get these emails from Quora answering WWII questions. Whenever there’s a Holocaust question, some German apologist always chimes in that the Allie’s forced the Germans to starve the Jews, through Allie’s bombing. I have no idea how rooted that sentiment is in Germany, but I get that people don’t want to think their grandparents were monsters. (I always reply that there is no law of science or nature that required the Germans to put their Jewish citizens in death camps, and they could have responded to privations caused by bombing by just letting them go free. They never have a response to that and keep repeating their initial point). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Apparently a new Russian disinformation campaign is starting, this time featuring the "Russian Volunteer Corps"

I can't even begin to take this seriously. We'll see how much mileage they get out of this. 

It's also never clear to me how much is for domestic and how much is for a foreign audience. I could see this playing well with the domestic audience. 

Appears very false flag operation-y.

• Hook 'Em 4

Additional evidence against a false flag. Interesting...

For convenience, the last tweet from the above Schulz thread summarizes it. Hard to see how this benefits Ukraine, as it only bolsters Putin's argument about Nazis. 

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I still say as historic cultures the Austrians, Germans and Swiss are self conceited arrogant assholes who are convinced their farts don’t stink. It has less to do with the Holocaust, Dutch famines, and tensions between liberators versus conquerors and more with something deeply embedded. Not necessarily at a genetic level, but for sure on a powerful sociological one. 

I’ll put it this way. Calling a German/Austrian/Swiss OCD is a bit like calling an Irishman an alcoholic. 

Edit: Oh, and I should emphasize these are generalizations. It should be assumed I’m aware there are very distinct cultural differences even within those countries. Not everyone is the same. I still stand by the characterization as a whole. 

And while the Germans’ Final Solution was on a different scale, the number of cultures that have done bad things to Jews around the world is a very long list. They just didn’t load them all into trains and straight up murder 6 million of them.

But since this thread is about the Ukraine War, I’ll point out Russia is famous for its historical pogroms, even while Jews have always made up an important part of its intelligentsia. Russian Jews have been a critical part of the success of Israel, too.

Same with virtually all of Europe, really. It’s pretty easy for me to argue that Europe’s world hegemony and the dominance of Judeo-Christian culture doesn’t happen without the Judeo part. 

The Germans didn't put french jews on trains east.  The french people did.  All the Germans had to do was ask.

9 minutes ago, locodos said:

The Germans didn't put french jews on trains east.  The french people did.  All the Germans had to do was ask.

Last Holocaust post then back to Ukraine/

Not quite. The Vichy government deported Jews through most of 1942 but many of the tens of thousands were deported in 1943 and 1944 after the full occupation of France by Nazis and Italians. Germans absolutely got hands on at that point when it came to roundups and deportations. 

Also worth nothing that 75 percent of France’s Jews survived the Holocaust, which is astonishingly high for all of Nazi-dominated Europe. Most of them managed to hide in the Free Zone among friends and neighbors. Vichy failed miserably at delivering its “quotas.” 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, locodos said:

Honestly, this irks me and I want to comment on it more, but it is a Ukraine thread so I'll keep it brief.  The French Resistance was a real thing.  The Vichy Government was hated by the French people.  Thousands of Frenchmen died defying Nazi attempts against civilians in France.  Thousands recognized as "Righteous Among the Nations" for saving Jewish people.  The result was a way way better survival rate for Jews in France than any of the surrounding countries (e.g., the low countries).

https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/resistance-jewish-organizations-in-france-1940-1944

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220127-how-three-quarters-of-french-jews-survived-the-holocaust-despite-the-vichy-regime

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Last Holocaust post then back to Ukraine/

Not quite. The Vichy government deported Jews through most of 1942 but many of the tens of thousands were deported in 1943 and 1944 after the full occupation of France by Nazis and Italians. Germans absolutely got hands on at that point when it came to roundups and deportations. 

Also worth nothing that 75 percent of France’s Jews survived the Holocaust, which is astonishingly high for all of Nazi-dominated Europe. Most of them managed to hide in the Free Zone among friends and neighbors. Vichy failed miserably at delivering its “quotas.” 

Chapter 4... 14:30ish   this guy also taught at the Sorbonne and lived in France half the time.  RIP

Clusterfuck. 
Love the turret aiming backwards at them. 

The best part for me is that after the APC doors open, the drone operator waits a few seconds longer than I was expecting to drop the grande. It’s like he was fully expecting the clusterfuck and was waiting for it to fully metastasize before fraging them. A true artist.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Poland is purchasing 1000 domestically produced IFVs.

Bushmaster 30mm chain cannon and Rafael Spike anti-tank missiles instead of TOW.    Bad-ass home grown Bradleys.   If they do acquire 1,000 of them, that and the eventual Abrams order deliveries should be enough to visit Moscow if need be.     

And oh yeah……replacing older Soviet kit with domestic kit.  A loss of future BMP sales to Poland forever - and a new competitor to steal BMP sales from India and Africa.   Chef’s kiss.   

• Hook 'Em 4

Okay, I've watched a lot of footage. A lot. But this is the most compelling coverage of Bakhmut I've found. 

This lady reporter, and she's in a lot of the videos from this site, goes around asking everyone how scared they are and what in the world they're doing where they are - point blank. She acts like a scared ninny, to be honest. And yet there she is, running around a few hundred meters from the fighting, with artillery shells and grad rockets landing in close proximity somewhere. A shop owner she tries to call into account reverses the tables on her, "What are you doing here?" "Well, what are YOU doing here."

The 93rd Armored Brigade is one of the most famous in Ukraine. One of the Cyborg units from the Battle for the Donetsk Airport. I had read somewhere that some of Russia's biggest advances came after they had rotated out of Bakhmut, and so they were sent back in to help stabilize the situation. This video shows how much they're depending on recently mobilized troops to fill their ranks - soldiers who are often coming to the front lines of Bakhmut after only a few weeks of training. At one point a leader comes in the room to announce a group of 10 soldiers refused to report to the front lines. 

Another interview with a young drone flyer incorporates knowledge of a personal relationship with one of the heroes of the Maidan Revolution who inspired him to read a famous Ukrainian writer who wrote about Ukrainian nationalism, but died in the Irzum in the defense of Kyiv. There's another feature on a pair of IFV crew who show absolutely no fear for the enemy. It's outstanding stuff. Well worth the 35 minutes. 

Subtitled, if that matter to you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Interesting thread about the rail repair on the Kerch Bridge.  Be an absolute shame if they got another shit sandwich here in the next little bit, but for now it would appear rail capacity is limited if not down.  

I read it on the internet, so it must be true...

Fascinating thread. What a black hole!!! It follows an alleged truck cargo from Odesa, Ukraine to Romania to Bulgaria to Georgia to Armenia to Georgia to Russia to Kerch Bridge ... Boom.

May be 100% fiction, but like a Clancy novel, it just pulls you in ...

• Hook 'Em 1