Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

And of course your daily reminder that the Russians have shit for brains

So which is dumber, continue driving tanks into the same mine field in order to destroy the mines, or this little flashback to April of last year, to the supposed Ukrainian Nazi plot to kill TV host, complete with Nazi t-shirt just out of the packaging, and 3 sim cards (or Sims 3 cards...) and that fake wig was awesome.

russia-ukraine-sims-023.jpg?quality=75&s

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So which is dumber, continue driving tanks into the same mine field in order to destroy the mines, or this little flashback to April of last year, to the supposed Ukrainian Nazi plot to kill TV host, complete with Nazi t-shirt just out of the packaging, and 3 sim cards (or Sims 3 cards...) and that fake wig was awesome.

The "plot" was to kill TV host Vladimir Solovyov, the guy who is constantly a star on Julia Davis's translations.

6631118f9c868b28df10f6d524050d59.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BamaATL said:

That would be my guess.  It's pretty clear the view we see is from a spotter.  I'm guessing they lased the target with a drone (perhaps the latest recon drones announced in the last week or so), had the spotter monitoring the result from quite a distance (5 to 6 miles I'm guessing, giving the sound traveling after the flash).  The shock wave was intense, I presume the distance was due for safety in that regard.  Who knows where that was from, but given the snow on the ground, if that was within the last few days I would guess its in the vicinity of Kreminna and the lines there.  I haven't seen anything that would look like jdam explosion prior to this, so that may well have been one of the first ones deployed.  Given that the spotter quite clearly knew exactly where to be looking and when, its says to me that this was all well coordinated.  Anyone in that trench was either vaporized or dead from shock-wave trauma pretty much instantly.   Frankly, potentially game changing footage.  

What type of casualty radius are we talking with these?

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

In reading some of the specs, these have side armor that's 15mm and roof armor that is 31mm thick.  I'd just as soon go into battle wearing my kitchen cooking equipment as that.  

Also, turret rotation is twice as slow as the Leopard and Abrams.  If they are both advancing toward each other at the same time, and they notice each other with both barrels facing the different direction, a Leopard or Abrams will reach a firing situation five seconds before the M 62s barrel can point at the Leopard or Abrams.

The main thing is its off-road issue. The thing can only go 25 miles an hour. It can’t keep up with the BMPs and it is considerably slower than the Leopard or Abrams.    The T-62 commander cannot override the gunner, and a T-62  cannot fire its cannon if the commander has his hatch open.     They have to wander around with the hatch closed and rely on their shitty sights. 

Some poor Ivans will be assigned to the tank as soon as it rolls off the upgrade assembly line. The crew will not be engaged in any meaningful training, and they sure won’t be live firing a bunch of the precious shells.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

What type of casualty radius are we talking with these?

If it's 2000lb aerial bomb about a 360 meter radius would be the lethal.  Of course that presumes the detonation produces the expected yield.  Something I don't know is that if a dumb munition has been sitting for an extended period of time, is whether or not it produces yields as expected.  I used 2000lb bombs because they would be the most common available, and from a fixed wing aircraft like the Ukrainians would be using on the higher end in terms of weight.  They can be bigger or smaller, but this is the most common.  

Below is a link from a UK think tank regarding blast radius and a lot of other semi related info.  (You can ignore the accuracy section, that's where the jdam comes in). 

https://article36.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PAX-A36-Areas-of-Harm.pdf

The real beauty of the jdam is that turns an otherwise dumb munition into a precision guided strike for cheap, about 10k per use.  That's big precise boom, for little bucks.  For clearing trenches its ideal, because once this is used, quite frankly for about at least 100m there will be no more trench, even if its concrete reinforced.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Also, turret rotation is twice as slow as the Leopard and Abrams.  If they are both advancing toward each other at the same time, and they notice each other with both barrels facing the different direction, a Leopard or Abrams will reach a firing situation five seconds before the M 62s barrel can point at the Leopard or Abrams.

The main thing is its off-road issue. The thing can only go 25 miles an hour. It can’t keep up with the BMPs and it is considerably slower than the Leopard or Abrams.    The T-62 commander cannot override the gunner, and a T-62  cannot fire its cannon if the commander has his hatch open.     They have to wander around with the hatch closed and rely on their shitty sights. 

Some poor Ivans will be assigned to the tank as soon as it rolls off the upgrade assembly line. The crew will not be engaged in any meaningful training, and they sure won’t be live firing a bunch of the precious shells.

What I gather is that Russians have been using these in lieu of mobile artillery, if they see real front line action, it'd be an absolute slaughter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

What I gather is that Russians have been using these in lieu of mobile artillery, if they see real front line action, it'd be an absolute slaughter.  

Don’t forget mine clearing operations. They’re perfect for that. Send them in daily waves. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

A run of the mill .50 round will penetrate 2" of steel at 100 yards.  Stryker's have better armor than that tank.

The side hull armor is 15 mm only at the bottom hull. It is 79 mm at the top hull and slopes down from there.  So roughly 3 inches at the top and a half inch at the bottom.  

Unfortunately, the ammo is stored in the front hull to the right and below the driver, where the armor is thinner.   

See Turret toss Olympics. 

thinner

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The side hull armor is 15 mm only at the bottom hull. It is 79 mm at the top hull and slopes down from there.  So roughly 3 inches at the top and a half inch at the bottom.  

Unfortunately, the ammo is stored in the front hull to the right and below the driver, where the armor is thinner.   

See Turret toss Olympics. 

thinner

Yes. That’s quite...unfortunate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

What choice do they have if most all of their more modern tanks have already been brewed up and they can only make 20 new tanks a month? 

I think they ride or die with the T-62.  Meaning, they die. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yes. That’s quite...unfortunate. 

One last factoid: The T-62 uses a 115 mm smoothbore cannon versus the 125 mm on a T-72 and its progeny.

This must mean that the T 62 is using ammo that has been sitting around in those pristine Russian stockpiles and is 30-50 years old. 

My suspicion is that this is not a good thing.    

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This man was murdered. There are videos out there but not going to post them. 

Surrendered and then shot while having a smoke. Fuck Russia's war. 

I won't post them either, then, but the key thing is the russian with the camera is staring at the guy, and the Ukrainian says, "Glory to Ukraine," to him, after which the Russian gunned him down with a machine gun then posted it on the internet. 

"Glory to Ukraine" is now trending. 

His name is Khamzat Galeav.

Edit: BTW, here's a paste of Dmitri posting a screenshot and translating from Russian media channels:

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Looks like a real wig.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The "plot" was to kill TV host Vladimir Solovyov, the guy who is constantly a star on Julia Davis's translations.

6631118f9c868b28df10f6d524050d59.jpg

He likes fake blondes?

image.jpeg.72934ab2db81a60bbf423c266d16144d.jpeg

Review: White Chicks - Slant Magazine

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Holy fuck. I've been reading (and listening) to both of these guys since the invasion. Rob Lee even before that. Maybe I would have pictured Rob Lee being in Bakhmut? Maybe. But never Kofman, regardless of how unfair that might be.

Kudos to both of these guys for hitching a ride over there to make first hand observations of the war, but especially to enter Bakhmut at this stage.

Jeez. I have a different level of respect for both of them, and I had plenty previously.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen this picture dozens of times on this thread, but I only just now noticed that the alleged Nazi flag is, in fact, a fucking t-shirt.

I mean, that raises its own questions.  Like--I honestly think it'd be easier to find a Nazi flag than a t-shirt that is just a big swastika.  But you know--whatever works in a pinch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

I've seen this picture dozens of times on this thread, but I only just now noticed that the alleged Nazi flag is, in fact, a fucking t-shirt.

I mean, that raises its own questions.  Like--I honestly think it'd be easier to find a Nazi flag than a t-shirt that is just a big swastika.  But you know--whatever works in a pinch.

Not only that, but if you were some kind of secret agent trying to assassinate a Russian TV host in Moscow, you would draw a helluva lot of attention to yourself with that t-shirt, and a flag is easier to discard if shit goes down.

But if you were an Nazi assassin in 2022, you aren't going to bring Nazi t-shirts and pictures of Hitler to an apartment or hotel room in Moscow no matter how much you admired Nazi Germany or Hitler, because that stuff could get noticed in your luggage or at a checkpoint on the border, and you get could get flagged long before you got close enough to your target, especially in wartime when they maybe looking for Ukrainians looking to come in and fuck around.  You're job is to get close to your target, not get picked up at a border or airport checkpoint and you're going to have things that a typical visitor or Muscovite is going to have, or whoever you are trying to blend in as.  You might have Putin's picture at most, but even that would be odd to travel with.

It was just so amazingly sloppy on the part of the FSB.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You'd be amazed at what you can find at Spencer's gifts.  You must not hit the mall much anymore.

• Haha 3

If they are massively transferring military equipment somewhere, and it appears as haphazard as it looks, that makes me wonder.

We know Russia has a serious corruption problem, far worse than anything Ukraine was ever accused of.  We know it starts at the top with Putin and the oligarchs, who all get their share of state expenditures, contracts, etc., (which is partly how some made their billions) but it goes all the way down through the chain-of-command to the NCOs and officers.  They can't even get a single fucking aircraft carrier out of dock without a tugboat.

Russia uses valuable cruise missiles against civilian electrical infrastructure.  I kind of get it, especially since it's a fixed and known target that's on the maps.  Military value.... a lot of military gear provides its own power and they bring their own generators, but in theory knocking out power could slow down some large-scale military stuff in the rear (resupply efforts, etc.) and maybe take some supplemental systems down.  You could argue that it forces Ukraine to spread their air defense around.

But then Russia wastes valuable missiles hitting civilian targets like apartments and schools, that have no military value.  In fact, it does a few things - it pisses off Ukrainians against the Russians even more, and it helps drive up support for the rest of Europe/the world, to help Ukraine, which means more military hardware and ammo and training flowing into Ukraine, which is the worst outcome you can imagine for Russia.  But those apartments and schools are fixed, known targets, and they have no defenses, so people will die or be injured.  

Now we've heard Russian pundits on state TV arguing that the reason for these strikes against apartment buildings and schools and other civilian buildings is to punish the Ukrainians for not rolling over for Russia and for supporting Ukrainian nationalism, and Putin is certainly petty enough to punish those that won't do what he wants.  Putin is definitely petty enough to want to punish Ukrainian civilians (or the families of Ukrainian soldiers).

But it's still one of the dumbest fucking things, especially here in early 2023, to be wasting precious cruise missiles - missiles that are literally rolling off the assembly line a few weeks before being fired, because the Russian military is getting hammered left and right, and your conscripts are begging for help on social media.  And Ukraine has a massive amount of military targets that may not be permanently fixed in place, but should be able to be hit within a few hours of somebody saying "hey this place needs to be hit."  

Obviously Russia doesn't really want to waste missiles on heavily guarded areas like Kyiv and Lviv because that's another waste of valuable missiles, but there's no way they can't find places in Ukraine near the front lines that, at the very least, a few cruise missiles would make the Ukraines have to work harder at running their military.  Of course, Stingers would come into play, but still....

Unless Russia's corruption and lack of military spending and/or other factors (technical stagnation) has led to a satellite and aerial reconnaissance system that is useless for providing timely targets (even just a few hours or half-a-day old).

It would explain why Russia keeps getting caught off guard, even though they should at least be able to notice some kind of hazy patterns coming together.

TLDR: Russia maybe flying blind on the satellite/reconnaissance front.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Same this go round. Also pondered where one shops for such wares, but I did Not act upon that curiosity. Is there a Nazi curious shitty souvenir shop like you'd find in The Quarter or Port A but for Nazi shit? Nazi Amazon.

Fuck my metrics are already fucked.

19 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I'd have to look at these two things as being connected and it's no bueno.   The Kakhovka dams up what amounts to the coolant reservoir for the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.  The Russians have been draining the reservoir and sending the fresh water to Crimea for months, so its already low.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1