Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are you saying that "go ahead Sergei, run into the minefield, I'm sure it's safe by now" isn't training?

That just absolutely blows my mind that they kept sending vehicles into the same fucking mindfield multiple times.  It doesn't blow my mind like it blew their minds, I'm just in fucking awe of that.  You can't even make an aggy joke out of it.

5027tw.jpg

The thing I really can't understand, is that you see several bombed out and blown up vehicles in open field with craters from artillery fire all around them.  This isn't stuff that just happened, it's been there a while.  And mind you, this isn't hidden, it's in a open field with miles of open land, so it's not as if you would turn a corner and bang your ambushed.  No, no, no, you could literally see if for miles, and despite this, they just drive right into it.  I just can't even begin to fathom what anyone is thinking there.  The only thing funnier would be if the Russians themselves planted the mines, which by the way, I don't think we can rule out as possibility.  Whomever is in command there, ain't exactly Stonewall Jackson.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm guessing that Canadian training includes saying sorry immediately after blasting another tank to Mars.  Still, I'm betting the orcs get nothing like this sort of training.  

Whenever I see this I think of that quote where the Russian general was bragging to our guy about how they get to shoot three live rounds a year. A. Year.

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Man, their air defenses suck

Hard to tell from the limited pictures but it doesn’t look like that much damage.  Now, the shock of infrastructure being attacked so far from the front lines in Ukraine is an entirely different matter. Excellent job.

I doubt they have enough air defenses for every potential target, but it’s great that they have to thin out existing air defenses in an effort to protect more sites. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BamaATL said:

This fucking guy is only a few steps away from laying claim to being the greatest human ever.  If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.  

What's always confused me is how one can be the Most Influential Person of China and Most Prominent (AND Most Charismatic) Philanthropist of China, yet only make the top ten Most Honorable Volunteer?  What are those other volunteers doing to to keep Guangbiao from the top volunteer spot?

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

What's always confused me is how one can be the Most Influential Person of China and Most Prominent (AND Most Charismatic) Philanthropist of China, yet only make the top ten Most Honorable Volunteer?  What are those other volunteers doing to to keep Guangbiao from the top volunteer spot?

Just an assumption, but I'm guessing donating your old clothes to Goodwill probably makes you more of a volunteer than this guy.  

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

This fucking guy is only a few steps away from laying claim to being the greatest human ever.  If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.  

Props for fucking quoting Cannonball Run. Mad Dog, you are going to take the shortcut to the interstate, aren't you?

I wish I could rep you like 25 times. Probably watched that movie 50 times when I was a kid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

David Halberstam wrote a good book on the Korean War in general.   One of the paralells that I see between Korea and Ukraine is leaderships blind insistence that all is well and nothing is broken.   MacArthur's head of intelligence completely ignored the North Korean build up before the initial invasion and pretty much did the same thing when China came into the war.   Sounds like Putin and his merry band of sycophants.

The Battle of the Chosin Reserviour is full of bad asses.   One of my favorite military quote is one attributed to Major General Oliver Smith, commander 1st Marine Division.  As they fought their way to the coast...   "Retreat Hell!   We're just attacking in a another direction." 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It can be explained. I understand that his card used to say that he was the most modest man in China. That would explain both the top 10 reference, and dovetail with why “the most modest man in China” is no longer on his business card.

Most modest.  It checks out. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pops said:

My only hope is they are playing opossum. But it doesn't sound good. 

Nope. They attempted a counterattack but that was repelled. 

Russia has committed an ENORMOUS amount of troops to this effort. It has been awful for both sides but the Russians especially. It was inevitable that Russia would take it but definitely not worth the price. 

19 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

David Halberstam wrote a good book on the Korean War in general.   One of the paralells that I see between Korea and Ukraine is leaderships blind insistence that all is well and nothing is broken.   MacArthur's head of intelligence completely ignored the North Korean build up before the initial invasion and pretty much did the same thing when China came into the war.   Sounds like Putin and his merry band of sycophants.

The Battle of the Chosin Reserviour is full of bad asses.   One of my favorite military quote is one attributed to Major General Oliver Smith, commander 1st Marine Division.  As they fought their way to the coast...   "Retreat Hell!   We're just attacking in a another direction." 

I love Halberstam. RIP. The guy knew how to tell a story. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay, we'll use India.  They've got 152 million men between the ages of 20-34, so that's a hefty pool to draw from (larger than the entire population of Russia).

Russia has 12 million to draw from within that age range.  And up to 700,000 men left the country (probably more through unofficial channels), and 1.1 million are on active duty of some kind (police, army, navy, air force, border, etc.). 

Russia has said that being in college is no longer an excuse, so that's a pool of 4 million young men to draw from. (edit: maybe not 4 million if a chunk of those 700,000 were from that group).

But they couldn't even competently pull off a mobilization of 300,000 last fall....so...

Edit: And if they had to raise conscription/mobilization ages up into the 40s and 50s, then something is fucked up with their stats/demographics.

So you're saying Wagner should hire Indians.

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Nope. They attempted a counterattack but that was repelled. 

Russia has committed an ENORMOUS amount of troops to this effort. It has been awful for both sides but the Russians especially. It was inevitable that Russia would take it but definitely not worth the price. 

This is complete projection and conjecture on my part, but I'm thinking about some of the calculus on the Ukrainian side for this battle.

On the one hand, you have to prepare for the offensive in the late spring/summer, which you hope will be one of the turning points of the war. You have heavier western armor trickling in that you have to get people trained, organized into divisions, and ready to go. You want many of your most battle hardened, veteran, effective troops to take part in this offensive. You have to have enough artillery shells and other ammo for maximum effectiveness, and you can't make your own.

You have a highly defensible position under massive attack, but by itself it doesn't represent a huge breakthrough by the enemy, so you've tried to keep an effective but relatively minimal force there to fend off the attacks. Which has worked for months. 

On the other hand you have a president who doesn't want to give up an inch of territory to Russia. You don't have the means at your disposal to mount a successful counterattack in the area, whether on the front lines directly east of the city, or on the flanks. The loss of Soledar represented a shift in Russian tactics where they have put immense pressure on both the north and south of Bakhmut, to the extent that the two main supply roads have been under heavy enemy fire for a couple of months now, with only a small dirt road being the supply lifeline to the troops in the city itself. You've destroyed the dam for a small lake to create a small creek on the north side, simply to give some kind of reprieve for the effectiveness of the enemy offensive, which takes a meter or two at a time. 

At this point pulling the soldiers out of Bakhmut is likely to result in massive loss of life. The enemy is too close on the flanks, the terrain is swamp.

From the point of of view of my personal investment in the soldiers defending Bakhmut, I would prefer they were already out of there. It's still my best guess this is why Moskalyov was fired. 

Belarus partisans claim to have destroyed one of 9 Russian AWACS in existence

BYPOL, the Belarusian partisan organisation, said it had used drones to strike the Machulishchy airfield 12km from Minsk, severely damaging a Beriev A-50 airborne early warning and control aircraft (Awacs).

“One of the nine Awacs of the Russian aerospace forces worth $330m (was destroyed),” the group said. “These were drones. The participants of the operation are Belarusians. (They have attained) ‘Victory’ and are now safely outside the country. Everyone has escaped.”

The plane “definitely won’t fly anywhere”, it added.

Beriev_A-50_02.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Has anyone ever seen this patch? This guy says CBS has agreed to embed a reporter in his unit. But he's also indicated his unit is heading to Bakhmut. I don't foresee a CBS reporter heading there.

of all the social media intention starved avatars, the 'look i'm fighting in a war' one is the cringiest to me.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

of all the social media intention starved avatars, the 'look i'm fighting in a war' one is the cringiest to me.

Really? I don't seem to care all that much. He's risking shrapnel going through his skull. Meanwhile, I'm posting on a forum. I find the patch hilarious. 

Can you elaborate a little more on what bothers you about it?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

On the one hand, you have to prepare for the offensive in the late spring/summer, which you hope will be one of the turning points of the war. You have heavier western armor trickling in that you have to get people trained, organized into divisions, and ready to go. You want many of your most battle hardened, veteran, effective troops to take part in this offensive. You have to have enough artillery shells and other ammo for maximum effectiveness, and you can't make your own.

that's what Ukrainian leadership has been saying:

(the original tweet was a quote from Zelensky)

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The Nazi's were absolutely TERRIFIED of Canadian soldiers in WW2.  Said they fought like savages.

Fast forward to today, and Canada is the best ally America can have.  Culturally similar but not stupid like we are.  God bless Canada, I say.

Oh Canada GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This has been widely reported on Eastern Europe Twitter with some evidence of explosions at the airfield. But nothing concrete on the aircraft. Belarus is pretty opaque so I would not discount that it happened. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Really? I don't seem to care all that much. He's risking shrapnel going through his skull. Meanwhile, I'm posting on a forum. I find the patch hilarious. 

Can you elaborate a little more on what bothers you about it?

I liked the patch, too. Sorry, more just a comment about him in general.

Hard to describe but the backdrop is I’m pretty sure whatever psychological effect happens when we get hooked on “likes” is going to be the end of us…

There’s just something about that addiction crossed with the violent voyeurism that’s fueling it that feels yucky to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I can't find the tweet but apparently Ukraine is sending reinforcements to Bakhmut. They are trying to hold it for as long as possible in order to buy as much time as possible. 

The Vasquez guy I just posted with his patch says his unit is being sent there. He didn't say Bakhmut specifically, but he was clearly hinting at it. 

I don't pretend to know all the challenges facing the Ukrainian top decision makers, but as an armchair observer if you're going to send reinforcements to shore up collapsing flanks, it feels like it could have been done sooner than it has. Specifically after the fall of Soledar when it was obvious Russia was sending so many resources in that direction. But maybe Moloskyov's strategy all along was to pull back, and now that he's been overruled by firing him, the objectives and the strategy employed has changed. 

The thing is at this point they're going to likely need to push the Russians back in order to keep supplies going in. I don't know. I don't know anything, really. I'm just hoping for the best without knowing what the "best" outcome really is. I just don't want the defenders being encircled like what happened in Azovstal. I also have no information regarding what options Ukraine has in the deployment of their resources. Obviously.