Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So this doesn’t say the “head of the military” because the fired person wasn’t the head of the military, true?

Not directed at you, Bama.

From what I gather he fired "a" top commander, not "the" top commander.  Also, things sometimes get lost a bit in translation.  He could have dismissed him from his current command and it be taken this way.  Given that there is no reason given, for now I wouldn't read much into this.  Generals can come and go in conflicts, still have been good, but have a shelf life.  Or maybe he was their George Mcclellan, just not enough info right now.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So this doesn’t say the “head of the military” because the fired person wasn’t the head of the military, true?

Not directed at you, Bama.

There are a number of headlines out there with this report, and a number of them, including this one, are misleading.

Eduard Moskalyov is the head of the joint forces in the Donbas region, so without a doubt A head commander. But he's not THE head commander. That's Valeriy Zaluzhnyy.

Moskalyov has been in that position since March of last year.

We can only speculate as to the dismissal, but my early strong guess would be Moskalyov wanted to retreat from Bakhmut to a different defensive position, and Zelensky fired him. But that's completely a guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There are a number of headlines out there with this report, and a number of them, including this one, are misleading.
Eduard Moskalyov is the head of the joint forces in the Donbas region, so without a doubt A head commander. But he's not THE head commander. That's Valeriy Zaluzhnyy.
We can only speculate as to the dismissal, but my early strong guess would be Moskalyov wanted to retreat from Bakhmut to a different defensive position, and Zelensky fired him. But that's completely a guess. 

I know who the head commander is. I also know it’s misleading. Just noticing that certain people here seem to be good at getting out front with misleading shit.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

I know who the head commander is. I also know it’s misleading. Just noticing that some people here seem to feel the need to get out from with misleading shit.

Apologies. I wasn't intending to insult your intelligence for sure. Yeah, click bait is real. People need to make the headline as dramatic as possible, regardless of the truth of it. It's frustrating for me as well. From the headline I thought for sure it was Zaluzhnyy who had been fired. 

• Like 1

Apologies. I wasn't intending to insult your intelligence for sure. Yeah, click bait is real. People need to make the headline as dramatic as possible, regardless of the truth of it. It's frustrating for me as well. From the headline I thought for sure it was Zaluzhnyy who had been fired. 

No apology necessary my friend. I appreciate your posts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I appreciate your explanation on what happened.  As much as I like to hear how inept Russia is.  I continue to take it with a grain of salt.  The sunshine pumping is a little much for me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I appreciate your explanation on what happened.  As much as I like to hear how inept Russia is.  I continue to take it with a grain of salt.  The sunshine pumping is a little much for me.  

Well, as inept as Russia has been, they still have Crimea, they still control everything south of the left bank of the Dnipro River, they still control a significant land bridge between the Donbas and Crimea, and they still control most of Luhansk and Donetsk. 

I’m as much of a cheerleader as anyone, and while I’m all for balanced perspective in most cases, I have to admit I like the Russian bot free zone that exists here. I haven’t spent 10,000 hours becoming an expert in debating Russian bots (and Chinese and even Israeli bots - and I’m pro Israel) but it sometimes feels like it. It’s a beating. 

It is telling to me the lack of resources Russia seems to be able to utilize in their current offensives. This is not like Chechnya, Georgia, Syria, or the opening salvos in the special military operation. Whether one wants to believe they’re running out of the means to wage modern war or not, they certainly seem to be acting as if they are. 

But beating back whatever offensive Ukraine eventually plans and making the Ukrainians suffer a big defeat would be the most important signal they still have what it takes. And I’d guess we’re months away from something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, as inept as Russia has been, they still have Crimea, they still control everything south of the left bank of the Dnipro River, they still control a significant land bridge between the Donbas and Crimea, and they still control most of Luhansk and Donetsk. 

I’m as much of a cheerleader as anyone, and while I’m all for balanced perspective in most cases, I have to admit I like the Russian bot free zone that exists here. I haven’t spent 10,000 hours becoming an expert in debating Russian bots (and Chinese and even Israeli bots - and I’m pro Israel) but it sometimes feels like it. It’s a beating. 

It is telling to me the lack of resources Russia seems to be able to utilize in their current offensives. This is not like Chechnya, Georgia, Syria, or the opening salvos in the special military operation. Whether one wants to believe they’re running out of the means to wage modern war or not, they certainly seem to be acting as if they are. 

But beating back whatever offensive Ukraine eventually plans and making the Ukrainians suffer a big defeat would be the most important signal they still have what it takes. And I’d guess we’re months away from something like that. 

So what I am getting confused is last year before the Russian invasion started we were told the ground turns to slog after February when everything melts.  The reason they didn't invade was because the Chinese had the Olympics going.  This year they don't.  If this is the case why are the Russians dumb enough to do it again.  I understand the anniversary thing but it doesn't make much sense to do it.  So Ukrainian offensive can't start til May time frame?

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if they only got one out of seven, that means Russia can't put anything too valuable into Belarus, and it will probably mean that Russia will have to dedicate more troops to security/anti-drone/whatever on the airfields, etc.

And I'm sure Lukashenko got a nasty phone call.

One of them is apparently used in Syria as well.

7 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So what I am getting confused is last year before the Russian invasion started we were told the ground turns to slog after February when everything melts.  The reason they didn't invade was because the Chinese had the Olympics going. 

It could be that Putin was concerned about Russia getting kicked out of the Olympics (he places a lot of stock in them) and didn't want the PR image.

It could also be that Russia wasn't fully ready prior to/during the Olympics (Feb 4-20?), but still had to rush it during the narrow window in February that was left, or wait a month or two, which would allow the Ukrainians even more lead time (and possibly Western armaments to flow in).  He already had the US calling him out for planning to invade.  He may have believed that all of the naysayers claiming that he wouldn't do it was keeping Ukraine from preparing (it wans't).

Plus he's a gambler, not a risk-taker.  He did a very gambler-like thing.  He thought he could take Kyiv in three days, and that melting snow woudn't be an issue.

This year they don't.  If this is the case why are the Russians dumb enough to do it again. 

You're talking about a military that just ran its soldiers through the same fucking minefield multiple times over multiple days, killing lots of them and losing valuable vehicles.

I understand the anniversary thing but it doesn't make much sense to do it.  So Ukrainian offensive can't start til May time frame?

Anniversaries are big in Russia, but the latest Russian "offensive" started a few weeks ago (or months ago depending on your POV), it's just not big enough to be easily noticed.

Russia probably feels like they have to do something Right Fucking Now, because Ukraine is getting a lot of spiffy tanks with trained crews over the next few months, and waiting until May, when Ukraine has removed more Russian vehicles from the field, while bringing in Western MBTs is pretty risky.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It could be that Putin was concerned about Russia getting kicked out of the Olympics (he places a lot of stock in them) and didn't want the PR image.

It could also be that Russia wasn't fully ready prior to/during the Olympics (Feb 4-20?), but still had to rush it during the narrow window in February that was left, or wait a month or two, which would allow the Ukrainians even more lead time (and possibly Western armaments to flow in).  He already had the US calling him out for planning to invade.  He may have believed that all of the naysayers claiming that he wouldn't do it was keeping Ukraine from preparing (it wans't).

Plus he's a gambler, not a risk-taker.  He did a very gambler-like thing.  He thought he could take Kyiv in three days, and that melting snow woudn't be an issue.

You're talking about a military that just ran its soldiers through the same fucking minefield multiple times over multiple days, killing lots of them and losing valuable vehicles.

Anniversaries are big in Russia, but the latest Russian "offensive" started a few weeks ago (or months ago depending on your POV), it's just not big enough to be easily noticed.

Russia probably feels like they have to do something Right Fucking Now, because Ukraine is getting a lot of spiffy tanks with trained crews over the next few months, and waiting until May, when Ukraine has removed more Russian vehicles from the field, while bringing in Western MBTs is pretty risky.

I'm not sure those guys running thru the minefield were a big loss.  I'm thinking one of them likely developed their new fixed position assault plans.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not sure those guys running thru the minefield were a big loss.  I'm thinking one of them likely developed their new fixed position assault plans.  

Shame they died, they would have made outstanding college football offensive coordinators.

"Run the ball right up the middle"

"They were waiting for us and stopped us for no gain"

"Well run it up the middle again, surely they won't be expecting us to repeat it!"

"They were still waiting for us and stopped us again."

"Well, let's run it up the middle again, surely they won't be expecting it a third time!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the stealing of toilet bowls and washing machines a real thing? Because toilets are heavy and brittle, and really not that expensive. It’s the city water hookup that’s the issue, usually. 

Washing machines- those mfers are heavy as hell. How in the hell are these idiots getting them home?

Am I missing something? Do the RA grifters have trucks to get these articles back, and maybe they’re paying the RA troops $50 each for the toilets and washers, or something, and they’re selling them on the black market/Ivan’sList back home?

Edited by statsman
  • Haha 1

Shame they died, they would have made outstanding college football offensive coordinators.
"Well run it up the middle again, surely they won't be expecting us to repeat it!"
"Well, let's run it up the middle again, surely they won't be expecting it a third time!"

As someone who remembers us running Hodges Mitchell up the gut for an average of .0001 yds per carry against Stanford….TOO SOON.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

12 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So what I am getting confused is last year before the Russian invasion started we were told the ground turns to slog after February when everything melts.  The reason they didn't invade was because the Chinese had the Olympics going.  This year they don't.  If this is the case why are the Russians dumb enough to do it again.  I understand the anniversary thing but it doesn't make much sense to do it.  So Ukrainian offensive can't start til May time frame?

I can't speak to Russian stupidity. 

An effective Ukrainian offensive is dependent on being able to use western armor - main battle tanks, infantry fighting vehicles, and armored personnel carriers. Also I'd add the effective incorporation of surface to air missile systems to deny air superiority to the Russians, and then allowing it to work together. Artillery, too, but I don't know how much more they need. From what I see it's ammunition they need the most.

In any case the armor is only now beginning to trickle in. Well, it's not like I'm getting daily briefings from Ukrainian brass, so for all I know they could be in place already, but I don't believe that. The May time frame is my guesstimate for how long it will take to get all the needed equipment, getting it manned in newly formed military organizations built to take advantage of combined arms, get the people manning the equipment all the necessary equipment, then get the equipment in place along with whatever psyops are executed to try to obfuscate what the real intentions are. But maybe it's March. I just don't think all the needed equipment will be in Ukraine by then, much less the necessary people trained and ready to execute the plans given to them. 

The offensives Ukraine succeeded with in Kharkiv and Kherson are not available in the same way now. The defense of the Kharkiv Oblast defense was particularly inept and poorly manned by Russia, 'cause Russia. Maybe we see the same thing with the next offensive. I hope so. But they've dug multiple layers of fortified defensive lines across the southern map to try to prevent that from happening. 

IMO a lot of the fighting on both sides currently being done is as much for political reasons as military. Russia needs to show that it's capable of winning on the battlefield. As much significance as has been given to Bakhmut, which has held out for an extraordinarily long time, taking control of what's left of that city would absolutely be seen as a victory by Russia. On the other hand, Zelensky doesn't seem to want to be seen as giving up a single inch of Ukrainian territory. But strategically it's honestly not that important. It's in a bit of a valley with a steep rise to the west, so even if the Russians take it they're not in a good position to go on the attack from there. It has a couple of roads going through it, but it's not exactly a main hub. Mostly it's the next city in the way for trying to get to Kramatorsk and Slovyansk - which ARE extremely important for a variety of reasons. But taking Bakhmut won't really be much of a breakthrough. It's just a necessary one.

But all of that is simply my personal view. 

You just gave Jeff Fisher a boner.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That's why I'm surprised the propaganda isn't much more wide spread.  Show all the dead Russian bodies and hack news and Russian websites.  That's how they got us out of Vietnam.  

It's also a huge part of why the Soviet Union abandoned Afghanistan. The war with Ukraine is different. How different I don't know in terms of how high a loss of life is Russia willing to tolerate. But it's for sure different. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That's why I'm surprised the propaganda isn't much more wide spread.  Show all the dead Russian bodies and hack news and Russian websites.  That's how they got us out of Vietnam.  

On of the long term problems with propaganda is that at some point there has been so much of it done that no one knows what to believe, from any source.  We know that while watched by a good chuck of their population, state tv is not trusted by the Russian population.  Which is interesting considering that we know its widely consumed.  Typically, when something is on tv that I know is outright bullshit, I either mock it, or change the channel.  Russians apparently don't this, I suppose they consume media in the same way we watch good old fashioned rassling, we know its bullshit but we are entertained so whatever.  That might be enough to drive people away, but now we get to the insidious part, Putin has people infiltrate as much other parts of the media as possible, and it would seem, the crazier the stories the better.  It's sort of genius in and evil way, if you make everything look to be complete bullshit, who knows what to believe?  

You can line up bodies with brains blown out, guts hanging out, etc for miles and film it and send it to Russia and someone would spin the story to be that Aliens from our distant past were in league with the Ukrainians, digging for treasure off the coast of Canada, and building pyramids in Kyiv and it might well captivate the public there.  Call it History Channel Russia.  Well I forget hookers and trampolines, but you get the point.  

Our collective access to knowledge has never been greater.  However, our bombardment by way of bullshit has also never been higher, and the truth is, no human is completely immune to the bullshit.  How much varies human to human, but suffice to say our least educated are more prone to buying it, and Russia has a lot of that.  (Truth be told even educated people frequently go down these rabbit holes).  Maybe it speaks to the fact that humans just naturally love a good story, and those that are skilled in telling stories, true or not, hook people with oration, visual art, etc.  If those skilled story tellers ply their collective wears for insidious purposes, they are going to get a lot of people to believe.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Replace run up the middle for bubble screen and you have...

davis.jpg.48cba29e8234b6d77749a75f9edb36a1.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Russian government spends a lot of time and resources trying to make its citizens not believe anything coming out of Ukraine - look at how much of Russian state TV shows are dedicated to disinformation and look at their recent efforts to monitor/filter/clamp down on the internet - they are headed for a fairly isolated/filtered internet, similar to China.

Plus, if you were a Russian citizen, and you started talking about the number of dead Russians in Ukraine, the FSB can pay you a visit and throw you in prison if they identify you and label you an enemy of the state (for spreading information that makes the Special Military Operation look bad).  

There's plenty of angsty/angry people out there willing to talk a lot of shit until their personal freedom (or that of their family) is on the line.

That's why we are all amazed that Girkin is still alive.  Dude is out there talking about this stuff, and he's got to be a dead man walking, given that they are rounding up and imprisoning Russians in Moscow for far less.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

That's why we are all amazed that Girkin is still alive. .
I was thinking more about this, while admittedly drinking and smoking, but I was thinking that perhaps Putin needs a so-called ‘outsider’ at some future point to be the whistleblower/finger-pointer at the generals Putin will eventually blame for the Ukraine fiasco.
If he can trot out Girkin to say the bad stuff, it co-ops some of the unhappier warmongers while removing Putin from personally making the charges
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

On of the long term problems with propaganda is that at some point there has been so much of it done that no one knows what to believe, from any source.  We know that while watched by a good chuck of their population, state tv is not trusted by the Russian population.  Which is interesting considering that we know its widely consumed.  Typically, when something is on tv that I know is outright bullshit, I either mock it, or change the channel.  Russians apparently don't this, I suppose they consume media in the same way we watch good old fashioned rassling, we know its bullshit but we are entertained so whatever.  That might be enough to drive people away, but now we get to the insidious part, Putin has people infiltrate as much other parts of the media as possible, and it would seem, the crazier the stories the better.  It's sort of genius in and evil way, if you make everything look to be complete bullshit, who knows what to believe?  

You can line up bodies with brains blown out, guts hanging out, etc for miles and film it and send it to Russia and someone would spin the story to be that Aliens from our distant past were in league with the Ukrainians, digging for treasure off the coast of Canada, and building pyramids in Kyiv and it might well captivate the public there.  Call it History Channel Russia.  Well I forget hookers and trampolines, but you get the point.  

Our collective access to knowledge has never been greater.  However, our bombardment by way of bullshit has also never been higher, and the truth is, no human is completely immune to the bullshit.  How much varies human to human, but suffice to say our least educated are more prone to buying it, and Russia has a lot of that.  (Truth be told even educated people frequently go down these rabbit holes).  Maybe it speaks to the fact that humans just naturally love a good story, and those that are skilled in telling stories, true or not, hook people with oration, visual art, etc.  If those skilled story tellers ply their collective wears for insidious purposes, they are going to get a lot of people to believe.  

To be honest the point escapes me. Could you please elaborate on the hookers and trampolines?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

As someone who remembers us running Hodges Mitchell up the gut for an average of .0001 yds per carry against Stanford….TOO SOON.

Let’s take the tiny 5’6” 180 lb RB with GREAT speed to the outside, and run him up the gut like he’s Jerome fucking Bettis. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Finally a bit of good news in Bakhmut. The reporter more recently said they have stabilized the line after the counterattack. This takes back multiple days worth of Russian gains.

I'm not sure Chuck is particularly accurate and he's just citing the Polish dude's report. I haven't seen anyone else report it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Let’s take the tiny 5’6” 180 lb RB with GREAT speed to the outside, and run him up the gut like he’s Jerome fucking Bettis. 

As my brother use to say, I've never seen a little guy take so many big hits as Hodges Mitchell.

To bring it back on topic, I guess you could say the same thing about Vladimir Putin.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A quote from him last February, "Putin's used to being lucky. That's very dangerous for a gambler, because he starts believing fate is on his side. When you play Russian roulette, you feel that God is on your side until the shot rings out."

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

A quote from him last February, "Putin's used to being lucky. That's very dangerous for a gambler, because he starts believing fate is on his side. When you play Russian roulette, you feel that God is on your side until the shot rings out."

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

I think a lot of people don't realize or forget that Putin is a gambler, not a risk-taker, and he was not calculating risks/consequences in the run-up to last February.  He was counting on the luck he had in 2014 with Crimea, and the luck with Georgia prior to that.  He's still gambling a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, statsman said:

Is the stealing of toilet bowls and washing machines a real thing? Because toilets are heavy and brittle, and really not that expensive. It’s the city water hookup that’s the issue, usually. 

Washing machines- those mfers are heavy as hell. How in the hell are these idiots getting them home?  Am I missing something? Do the RA grifters have trucks to get these articles back, and maybe they’re paying the RA troops $50 each for the toilets and washers, or something, and they’re selling them on the black market/Ivan’sList back home?

Oh it was definitely a thing, and it was truly pathetic how much they were looting and what they were looting.  Early on, they were constantly being seen openly stealing stuff.  We ended up with memes like this:

how-to-catch-a-russian-soldier-lesson-01

And photos like this:

main-qimg-550d12049d6313b1e6af4309719336

And photos like this (a Ukrainian even recognized some of their possessions):

_124981277_mediaitem124981276.jpg

Or them mailing their stolen stuff back home to Russia:

Russian-soldiers-with-stolen-items-Hanna

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3