Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sorry, but that’s absurd. China deciding to arm Russia and fight a proxy war with the West is a massive deal. The idea we can’t talk about that possibility IN THE THREAD DISCUSSING SAID WAR is insane.

Yeah black lab goes off and acts like a little bitch every now and then. It's best to just ignore him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Keep in mind that this is one of Musk's favorite accounts, and he loves to retweet/engage this person(s).

Also, this is one of the dumbest fucking things said by anybody, anywhere about the war in Ukraine.  And I've got a Qanon relative, and have heard some really dumb fucking takes.

With every war going all the way back to Vietnam, the press has been heavily integrated with the troops and there's thousands of hours of live video footage. In Ukraine, nothing. We get no footage, no detailed updates, no graphs explaining how the war is going, who has control of what land, etc. All we get is Biden fake air raid sirens and one famous actor or politician a day happily prancing around Kiev with Zelenskyy with no helmets or body protection offering him 100s of billion of dollars. Or, Zelenskyy jet setting around the world to walk red carpets, get praised by the global elite, and pose for national magazine covers. If you question this - you're called a Putin puppet. We taxpaying citizens are sick and damn tired of these blatant lies from these evil, globalist worms. Call us whatever names you want - we know bullshit when we see it.

Keep in mind that this is a widely-followed/prolific social media account, and the very platform they use has literally thousands of hours of footage of the war, and that plenty of Russian social media channels have released plenty of Russian POV footage backing up all of the battles, defeats, etc. and that a shitload of journalists, OS INT folks, analysts, etc. are constantly releasing "graphics explaining how the war is going" and "who has control of what land" etc., and that plenty of journalists have died covering it.

I wouldn't give a shit if the people like this (who influence Elon and his fanboys) were all up in the UFO conspiracy theories, or JFK, or Chemtrails or MKUltra or Hitler or whatever historical figure is still somehow alive, because  most of that shit is fucking harmless.

But this person(s) influence Musk, and he will amplify this (INTERESTING!) which means his idiot fanboys will pass this idea around that the war is a big conspiracy theory and isn't real, and they'll try to browbeat their family/friends/co-workers into believing this shit

What's next?  The US Navy doesn't have nuclear submarines, because hey, there's no infographics about them, and no journalists on them and we can't actually tell if they are nuclear, right?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Keep in mind that this is one of Musk's favorite accounts, and he loves to retweet/engage this person(s).

Also, this is one of the dumbest fucking things said by anybody, anywhere about the war in Ukraine.  And I've got a Qanon relative, and have heard some really dumb fucking takes.

Keep in mind that this is a widely-followed/prolific social media account, and the very platform they use has literally thousands of hours of footage of the war, and that plenty of Russian social media channels have released plenty of Russian POV footage backing up all of the battles, defeats, etc. and that a shitload of journalists, OS INT folks, analysts, etc. are constantly releasing "graphics explaining how the war is going" and "who has control of what land" etc., and that plenty of journalists have died covering it.

I wouldn't give a shit if the people like this (who influence Elon and his fanboys) were all up in the UFO conspiracy theories, or JFK, or Chemtrails or MKUltra or Hitler or whatever historical figure is still somehow alive, because  most of that shit is fucking harmless.

But this person(s) influence Musk, and he will amplify this (INTERESTING!) which means his idiot fanboys will pass this idea around that the war is a big conspiracy theory and isn't real, and they'll try to browbeat their family/friends/co-workers into believing this shit

What's next?  The US Navy doesn't have nuclear submarines, because hey, there's no infographics about them, and no journalists on them and we can't actually tell if they are nuclear, right?

I don't think that stuff is completely harmless. 

What we thought when the world wide web started is that we could finally bypass the curators to find the real story instead of having the information spoonfed to us. What we've found is that without credible curators the disinformation experts have figured out they don't have to convince us of lies. They just have to put so much bullshit out there that people give up trying to figure out the truth and just believe what they want to believe. Which is what everyone naturally wants to do anyway, including me. I try to challenge myself by getting out of any echo chambers as much as I can, but I'm human, and I can feel myself as prone to it as anyone. 

I've been very impressed on some level at how well the fake news people have won. Disappointed, disheartened, mildly hopeless, but impressed all the same. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't have a link to a specific tweet, but apparently Ukrainian soldiers blew up a dam for a small lake on the northern side of Bakhmut to expand a creek flowing north, to make it more difficult for attacking Russian soldiers. There's speculation about a bigger lake with a dam a little north of that which could also be blown up putting some soldiers in a bit of a no man's land where supplies would be challenging to get to. 

From the footage I saw it wasn't exactly a raging river. More like a smallish creek. Enough to be an impediment for sure, but not an impassable one. 

I'll be honest. There's a scent of desperation in this. I'm sure the Ukrainian command knows exactly what it's doing, but I can't help but be concerned with the soldiers holding out in Bakhmut itself. Not like there's a lot I can do other than fiddle with my worry beads, so I'm going to get some practice in (I don't actually own worry beads, but metaphorically I do). 

Not that any of this is actually disastrous from a war footing point of view. I've seen footage of them building more defense lines to the west of Bakhmut. Bakmut is at the bottom of a rise, so if they move to the west they'll have the high ground. As many of us have talked about ad nauseum, Bakhmut is not a critically strategic objective. It's a hoop that has to be jumped through to get to the rest of the Oblast, so it's not nothing. But it'd be more of a political/morale victory for the Russians than anything resembling a decisive gain. 

I'm sure more will come in today with video footage. I look forward to seeing what has actually transpired, and seeing everyone's thoughts on it. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't have a link to a specific tweet, but apparently Ukrainian soldiers blew up a dam for a small lake on the northern side of Bakhmut to expand a creek flowing north, to make it more difficult for attacking Russian soldiers. There's speculation about a bigger lake with a dam a little north of that which could also be blown up putting some soldiers in a bit of a no man's land where supplies would be challenging to get to. 

From the footage I saw it wasn't exactly a raging river. More like a smallish creek. Enough to be an impediment for sure, but not an impassable one. 

I'll be honest. There's a scent of desperation in this. I'm sure the Ukrainian command knows exactly what it's doing, but I can't help but be concerned with the soldiers holding out in Bakhmut itself. Not like there's a lot I can do other than fiddle with my worry beads, so I'm going to get some practice in (I don't actually own worry beads, but metaphorically I do). 

Not that any of this is actually disastrous from a war footing point of view. I've seen footage of them building more defense lines to the west of Bakhmut. Bakmut is at the bottom of a rise, so if they move to the west they'll have the high ground. As many of us have talked about ad nauseum, Bakhmut is not a critically strategic objective. It's a hoop that has to be jumped through to get to the rest of the Oblast, so it's not nothing. But it'd be more of a political/morale victory for the Russians than anything resembling a decisive gain. 

I'm sure more will come in today with video footage. I look forward to seeing what has actually transpired, and seeing everyone's thoughts on it. 

There are no such things as worry beads.

17 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

A while back we were talking about how totally absorbed Russia is in its World War II history past in a way that even patriotic Americans can’t understand. It’s just freaky cultish. I could not remember the term for it. I just found a video that expresses it well. “Pobedobesie!”.  Try to imagine this shit showing up on American TV 80 years after the war 

It’s like they believe that the (Russian) victory over the Nazis is the key to understanding all of human history. In a pro-Russian way. 

The only thing I have seen like it is OKC Thunder fans describing the 2016 WCF, as if losing to the Warriors in seven is the key to understanding the NBA and settled the reputations of all in it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Russia talk begat Russian allies talk - which begat China talk - which begat China problems talk - which begat Covid talk - which might attract Johnny Sack insights.   

Are you sure about that Kevin Bacon?

Dude, I can totally kick that bear's ass.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is quite obviously the most videoed war in history.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Ukraine's Banksy stamps feature art of Putin in judo match
image.png.cd4e9da83887bb7cb2db302bbb443070.png

SIAP
"Ukraine has issued postage stamps featuring a mural by renowned UK graffiti artist Banksy to mark the first anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion."

Dear Banksy,

Would be better if she has a blue and yellow belt.

- sincerely
Chad Fuck
art critic and surly denizen
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Well shit, this ain't good

So NATO countries are not willing to make Ukraine a NATO country and sign something that immediately puts them and all of NATO at war with Russia?   Shocking!

… and if it is something the current UK government will sign then based on repeated statements backed up by actions they are not trying to limit Ukraine in their fight against Russia.

Seems like made up headlines and Russian media trying to stir the pot.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ABSR said:

So NATO countries are not willing to make Ukraine a NATO country and sign something that immediately puts them and all of NATO at war with Russia?   Shocking!

… and if it is something the current UK government will sign then based on repeated statements backed up by actions they are not trying to limit Ukraine in their fight against Russia.

Seems like made up headlines and Russian media trying to stir the pot.

I doubt Russia had anything to do with this getting out.  This was leaked to ISW to shame the French, UK, and Germans.  Consider the political situation in the UK, I am not surprised that they could be swayed by the Germans to go along.  Marcon's hangs on by a sliver in France, and Olaf is douche bag, more concerned with Germany's station than what is right (and of course his political life).  

I'll be honest, I think a lot of the German resistance to this is fear of competition.  First the Poles are catching up, and a free Ukraine represents a big threat to industry.  That having been said, I really just don't like they fact that the Germans of all people seem to have roughly 1/3 the power in both the EU, and to a lesser extent Nato.  Now I realize that eventually we have to move on, but its sort of like we have forgotten why a lot of this exists in the first place.  I'm sure the German's are just shaking here their collective boots to hear this, but I don't plan on deliberately buying any German products for the foreseeable future as my own sort of personal protest.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I'll be honest, I think a lot of the German resistance to this is fear of competition.  First the Poles are catching up, and a free Ukraine represents a big threat to industry.

germany doesn't want to believe that their access to cheap russian raw materials is over. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

While that may resonate in St. Petersburg and Moscow, I’m wondering if all the Russian Federation  lands who do NOT want to be part of Russia will be encouraged or emboldened by the thought that the West is actively seeking their independence.  I hope all the Stans are thinking this. 

He's standing awfully close to that reporter given his recent tendency towards distance.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Interesting thread on a new approach the Russians are using, at least partially based on Wagner tactics and a lack of available vehicles. Probably doomed to fail because... Russia, and are they just going to institute this without training?

Goddamn, even Shawn Watson could draw up a better plan.  

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Goddamn, even Shawn Watson could draw up a better plan.  

If I am reading this correctly, which good lord, you will notice that they aren't remotely taking into account their field of fire having friendlies in them.  Matter of fact, it looks as though they actively trying to kill their own.  3 squads enter 1 survives (maybe)!  I need an advil after just looking at that.  

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/24/2023 at 5:16 PM, SL Xpress said:

The amount of pain that would be involved in disentangling from China would be incalculable. 

Not totally disagreeing with you, but this is the same argument that was made about Europe’s reliance on Russian oil. Admittedly, it’s easier to build pipelines than a tire manufacturing centers, but it’s doable given time and initiative. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

If I am reading this correctly, which good lord, you will notice that they aren't remotely taking into account their field of fire having friendlies in them.  Matter of fact, it looks as though they actively trying to kill their own.  3 squads enter 1 survives (maybe)!  I need an advil after just looking at that.  

Seems like a good plan from where I'm standing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1