Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I presume those guys were active members of the UKA when they went in, and had a respectable amount of training from that.  So add five weeks of intense training and how good will these guys be when they come out?

Most have very little training going in.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

So no, the Rooskies didn't learn the main lesson from the Battle of Britain.  Good.

Yep, shades of Hitler picking civilian targets.  If all of the Russian missiles and shells that have hit civilian targets in Ukraine had instead been focused on the Ukrainian military, things might have been different.  Nope, dumbass Russians going to be dumbass Russians.

And the tempo is clearly picking up.  More and more strikes behind Russian lines, and more and more photos and videos of destroyed Russian hardware and captured prisoners.

NATO better be taking lots of notes.  Ukrainians are being extremely efficient.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yep, shades of Hitler picking civilian targets.  If all of the Russian missiles and shells that have hit civilian targets in Ukraine had instead been focused on the Ukrainian military, things might have been different.  Nope, dumbass Russians going to be dumbass Russians.
And the tempo is clearly picking up.  More and more strikes behind Russian lines, and more and more photos and videos of destroyed Russian hardware and captured prisoners.
NATO better be taking lots of notes.  Ukrainians are being extremely efficient.

In the future can we possibly hope to have a Russian leaders as blatantly corrupt and militarily inept as Putin?

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That lesson being that constant shelling of civilians from distance doesn’t weaken enemy resolve, it strengthens it?  Or is there some more tactical lesson?

Wasting resources. Those early precision weapons cannot be replaced. If you are using up your bullets on shooting sparrows there isn't much payoff and as you pointed out might be counterproductive.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Some of both, but tactical in my use.  Germany had the RAF within days of becoming ineffective by hitting radar installations and airfields.  A German bomber got off course and bombed a non-military target in London.  The Brits responded with a raid on a German city with few military targets.  The Germans then shifted the focus of their bombing from military targets to civilian targets, allowing the RAF some breathing room and a chance to recover.  Germany lost their opportunity to defeat the RAF and invade England because of that change in targeting priorities.

Huh. I was not aware that Germany was close to defeating the British radar system. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Huh. I was not aware that Germany was close to defeating the British radar system. 

There’s a really good documentary on YouTube, will check my history and see if I can find it, about how the Germans had the RAF on the ropes.  After the Brits retaliated, I think it was Hitler got pissed and wanted to lay waste to London.   I want to say that the RAF was just a few days away from being rendered effectively useless, but I think it was definitely a week.

Going after London (and other cities) allowed the RAF to get infrastructure/radar/etc. repaired, as well as building up a supply of aircraft. 

The Germans really had the RAF exhausted prior to the switch to cities.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They were bombing strategic targets - Radar stations, airfield, factories.  Targets that if destroyed would have helped them win the war, or at least move on to the next strategic goal.  Then Hitler got his fee-fees hurt and took his eyes off the strategic goal, and essentially started a "We'll show them!" campaign.  

That's like actively punching yourself in the dick.  Reason wins wars, emotion loses them.  Those civilians cannot do anything to hurt your strategic goals.  Blowing them up serves no productive purpose.  It will not help you win the war.  It may make you feel you have some measure of vengeance, but that's a fleeting feeling.  Once the limited resource of bombs/planes/shells has been expended on civilians, you can't get it back.  Every munition you spend against something that doesn't help your strategic cause, is a loss. Best to spend them on something that truly hurts the opponent.  

But I'm just a keyboard warrior, and Putin remains a strategic genius. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
What AHB said.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Good read on ammunition and especially shells. We need to open a munitions factory.

The military has an entire command dedicated to the production of munitions, with around 20 or so DOD facilities that make everything from ammo for sidearms up to our largest bombs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Munitions_Command

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sanctions working, Putin playing one of his last cards to try to force Europe’s hand.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Feels like this is like 2 months early to have maximum effect. Panic, desperation?  Knows the war will be lost by then?

I have family in the Groninger, NL area - large nat gas field that significantly cut production due to earthquakes over the years - and they have been on the fence about ramping production back up. Now they are in FAFO/Fuck Putin mode and ready for full tilt for the next ~12 months. 

They said, therefore take it with a big grain of salt, that the infrastructure has been maintained by the government in case of emergencies and production can be increased without much lead time and headaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Feels like this is like 2 months early to have maximum effect. Panic, desperation?  Knows the war will be lost by then?

Don’t think it was a coincidence that this comes after the G7 moves to cap prices.  The fact that they stopped the referendum speaks volumes about the state of things. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are a number of reports that the United States war-gamed this offensive with Ukraine, and used its findings to develop the current battleplan.  And that's really pretty huge, because modern war games aren't like what we did in the 1960s (or even the 1990s), of a bunch of guys sitting around and doing moves and countermoves on a fancy chessboard. 

Sorry, I had to, I know what you mean and you’re right.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Take notes?  We don't need to take notes.  This is our goddamned battleplan.

There are a number of reports that the United States war-gamed this offensive with Ukraine, and used its findings to develop the current battleplan.  And that's really pretty huge, because modern war games aren't like what we did in the 1960s (or even the 1990s), of a bunch of guys sitting around and doing moves and countermoves on a fancy chessboard.  It's putting the variables into a computer and having AI run billions of simulations and finding the options with the highest rates of success. 

It's the kind of shit that Ukraine could never do on its own (and Russia sure as shit can't).  And it reflects the degree to which our aid is far beyond a few HIMARS and M777s.

Benedict Cumberbatch Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Take notes?  We don't need to take notes.  This is our goddamned battleplan.

There are a number of reports that the United States war-gamed this offensive with Ukraine, and used its findings to develop the current battleplan.  And that's really pretty huge, because modern war games aren't like what we did in the 1960s (or even the 1990s), of a bunch of guys sitting around and doing moves and countermoves on a fancy chessboard.  It's putting the variables into a computer and having AI run billions of simulations and finding the options with the highest rates of success. 

It's the kind of shit that Ukraine could never do on its own (and Russia sure as shit can't).  And it reflects the degree to which our aid is far beyond a few HIMARS and M777s.

I want to see the Taiwan battle plan 

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t think it was a coincidence that this comes after the G7 moves to cap prices.  The fact that they stopped the referendum speaks volumes about the state of things. 

I got a feeling that this move was to try and get Europe to agree to a panic slowdown of their deliveries of munitions and cold weather gear now before the winter strikes than to wait and try and do maximum damage once winter is already there.

The RU has to be under severe pressure on both the primary eastern and the southern/crimea fronts now and know that if the UA can continue this offensive pressure through the winter there are going to be major breakthroughs.

It does no good to pressure Europe in November if by that time the UA had crossed the river into Crimea, has eliminated the troops trapped in the Kherson pocket and are threatening to push the troops back to the old Russia boarder in the east. At that point the end is in sight and others will be willing to deal with the hardship knowing it is likely now a short term problem.

The timing is right if they are going to actually truly do it. Waiting longer does only put more, not less, uncertainty for forcing Europe into a concession.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

There's a legend that during WW2 the Allies hoped Hitler wouldn't be deposed.  They figured his replacement would be more capable than him.

The first thing I tell people when they step into the Time Machine is "Don't kill Baby Hitler. His replacement might figure out how to win it all."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3