Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

25 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That was AFTER the UKA artillery strike.  Right?!

Serious answer: I have yet to see any Russian positions that look like they have a functioning group of NCOs or junior officers.  

It’s the kinds of shit that would have American NCOs and officers chewing out the soldiers 9 different ways to Sunday.  

Haphazard would be a good description

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The first thing I tell people when they step into the Time Machine is "Don't kill Baby Hitler. His replacement might figure out how to win it all."

Germany could never win. Evil aside, yes, they had great strategists and a very effective military. They lacked the navy of the UK, the resources of Russia and the industrial capacity of the US. (Carlin tells a story of a pre-war study the Germans commissioned of US industrial capacity. The leadership rejected its findings as ridiculously inflated. Actually, they were low. As Carlin quotes a US general, “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics”. )

Same with the US Civil War. The CSA had plenty of great generals and motivated troops. They could never win. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Germany could never win. Evil aside, yes, they had great strategists and a very effective military. They lacked the navy of the UK, the resources of Russia and the industrial capacity of the US. 

I know its the wrong board, but you can literally break down the reason for Germany losing on 2 boneheaded decisions made by Hitler alone and both of them were so fucking huge, it pretty much guaranteed Germany would lose.

#1 going forward with his planned Operation Barbarossa on June 22, 1941.   Hitler fucked up by not knocking England out of the war before attacking Russia.  If he had waited 1 year, where England stood alone, there is a much better chance that England would have had to capitulate, OR if England had stood firm, then NOT having to commit 154 FUCKING DIVISIONS against Russia might have helped tremendously with their manpower and allowing almost all of their planes to attack England alone.  Stalin was perfectly happy with the non-aggression pact, and it easily could have lasted another 1-2 years before the inevitable attack. 

#2 for some idiotic reason, Hitler decided to honor his pact with Japan (despite Japan NOT reciprocating and declaring war on Russia when Germany attacked it earlier), and on his own, having not talked to any of his advisors, declared war on the U.S.   

The only country the U.S. declared war against on Dec 8 1941 was Japan.    If Germany doesnt declare war on the U.S on Dec 11, 1941 . it probably would have taken us months to get the country behind declaring war on a country that didnt attack us first.  Instead Germany declared on the U.S. we retaliated the same day, declared on them, and now Hitler has his country fighting 3 countries, including 1 that other than sub attacks, he could barely touch. allowing our industrial capacity to ramp up and outproduce  every other country in the world more than 2 fold by wars end

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Germany could never win. Evil aside, yes, they had great strategists and a very effective military. They lacked the navy of the UK, the resources of Russia and the industrial capacity of the US. (Carlin tells a story of a pre-war study the Germans commissioned of US industrial capacity. The leadership rejected its findings as ridiculously inflated. Actually, they were low. As Carlin quotes a US general, “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics”. )

Same with the US Civil War. The CSA had plenty of great generals and motivated troops. They could never win. 

I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

Let's just suppose that the Germans don't halt for 3 days (May 1940) at Dunkirk and they kill or capture those 300K British soldiers.  And let's suppose that the Germans stay focused in the Battle of Britain (Oct 1940) and gain complete air superiority over Britain and the surrounding water.   Churchill can fight on the beaches all he wants but he wouldn't have any better luck than the French did. 

...and now back to waiting for the Crimean Bridge to get smashed. Come on and do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I know its the wrong board, but you can literally break down the reason for Germany losing on 2 boneheaded decisions made by Hitler alone and both of them were so fucking huge, it pretty much guaranteed Germany would lose.

Actually, it's pretty relevant since Putin is making some of the same mistakes as Hitler/Germany:

1. He never achieved air superiority over Ukraine, just as Hitler never achieved it over the UK/English Channel, and important areas of the Soviet Union.
  2. He made a huge mistake expending valuable and hard-to-replace munitions against civilian targets, even late into this campaign, just as Hitler wasted a shit-ton of valuable aircraft and pilots on civilian targets in England (and Russia to a lesser extent).
  3. Outside of submarines, Hitler/Germany didn't do a good job of securing the seas around them.  Because of Russia's fuckups in the Black Sea, and Ukrainian weaponry/ingenuity, Russia never was able to mount a serious threat to Odessa/etc.
  4. Just as Hitler/Germany never actually were serious about invading England for whatever reasons (Germany never built up the ships/infrastructure needed for moving troops and armor, vehicles to England), it looks more and more like Russia failed to build out the units/infrastructure they needed to deal with Ukraine's numerous rivers/creeks, and in general, Russia never built out the logistics infrastructure needed to project power deep into Ukraine.  Russia counted on bridges staying intact, and being able to drive into Kyiv, rather than getting pushback from the Ukrainians, causing them to waste fuel sitting around keeping their soldiers warm, and ultimately helping to run out of fuel in areas in general.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

And let's suppose that the Germans stay focused in the Battle of Britain (Oct 1940) and gain complete air superiority over Britain and the surrounding water.   Churchill can fight on the beaches all he wants but he wouldn't have any better luck than the French did. 

Germany wasn't going to cross the English Channel in large numbers in fucking river barges towed by tugboats, and even if they tried it using the boats/barges they had, towing a few hundred men at a time across the channel is just going to get a few hundred men killed at a time.

And that's before we walk about how England/Commonwealth navies would have turned the English Channel into a wall of steel.

Oh, and England was prepared to use chemical weapons on the beaches, which means that even if the Germans had landed in decent numbers, they would have had wet gear, which would have been bad for chemical protection.  Really bad.

• Hook 'Em 3

Russia making “gas for sanctions relief” so explicit is a tactical error, in my opinion. As mentioned, EU-wide sanctions have to be lifted and implemented by consensus.  It’s hard to see all of Europe caving.

I think the real goal is to sow political chaos by emboldening anti-system forces and politicians to get the mobs stirred up against governments, not actual sanctions relief. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Some of both, but tactical in my use.  Germany had the RAF within days of becoming ineffective by hitting radar installations and airfields.  A German bomber got off course and bombed a non-military target in London.  The Brits responded with a raid on a German city with few military targets.  The Germans then shifted the focus of their bombing from military targets to civilian targets, allowing the RAF some breathing room and a chance to recover.  Germany lost their opportunity to defeat the RAF and invade England because of that change in targeting priorities.

Most wars don’t end due to complete exhaustion and defeat, they end with a political decision.  It’s no too hard to see a scenario where Germany focuses on using air power against the RAF and RN while offering a political settlement (independence, stay out of the continental war) and it working if the UK had different leadership or if they kept it up long enough to force a change at the top. And entering the war as the U.S. on the side of JUST the USSR instead of on the side of the UK plus USSR plus Allies is a very different decision. 

The Brits really are the heroes of WWII, they fought on while the USSR was merrily carving up Europe and offered a home and backing to all the governments in exile. If the UK just decides to sit it out, then Europe very possibly goes Nazi. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Fb9kOfDXgAQTEBs?format=jpg&name=medium

This is weird political theatre. Seems like Putin thinks it’s a flex to have these exercises to keep up the “everything is fine” in Ukraine charade. The dude has such cognitive dissonance and is so used to zero accountability that at this point I wonder if he’s already mentally making the adjustments to the “whatever happens in Ukraine, happens; and that will have been my plan all along” spin. I mean if you were really all-in to win in Ukraine, you wouldn’t be fucking around with exercises.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 686 said:

This is weird political theatre. Seems like Putin thinks it’s a flex to have these exercises to keep up the “everything is fine” in Ukraine charade. The dude has such cognitive dissonance and is so used to zero accountability that at this point I wonder if he’s already mentally making the adjustments to the “whatever happens in Ukraine, happens; and that will have been my plan all along” spin. I mean if you were really all-in to win in Ukraine, you wouldn’t be fucking around with exercises.

Very weird.  Especially when the equipment used for those exercises is desperately needed in Ukraine.  It’s like we are headed towards this:

Fb-NLDcXwAEUx0b?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3