What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

On 7/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

If y'all like Hardcore History, there's some other really good shows out there too. Tides of History is doing some things on the Hundred Years War which is great. One of the hosts also did History Matters which ties modern trends to events in history. Also, History of Fire's series about the Lakota and Custer was really good as well.

For the Longhorns, it's tough to find something better than one of the groups from HornsCast. 

I love Tides of History. Patrick Wyman does some great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

after listening to atlanta monster, and now through much of up and vanished, payne lindsey's habit

of pausing halfway through a sentence

and then starting up again

drives me nuts.

also, as a lawyer, it drives me nuts that he's hung up on the burglary charge because he can't wrap his head around the fact that burglary doesn't necessarily mean the perp was there to steal something.  he's had 2 lawyers on to explain what burglary is and why the perp may be charged with it, but he just doesn't get it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, elfenix said:

after listening to atlanta monster, and now through much of up and vanished, payne lindsey's habit

of pausing halfway through a sentence

and then starting up again

drives me nuts.

Hide contents

also, as a lawyer, it drives me nuts that he's hung up on the burglary charge because he can't wrap his head around the fact that burglary doesn't necessarily mean the perp was there to steal something.  he's had 2 lawyers on to explain what burglary is and why the perp may be charged with it, but he just doesn't get it. 

I'm almost done with Season 1 of up & vanished.  It's been tempting to google this story to learn more but I decided to play along and stick to the podcast only.   

The guy who annoys me is the private investigator that is on the podcast from time to time.  He thinks everything and everyone is in on the conspiracy.  and then when new evidence is presented that conflicts with his opinion, he does a 180 and comes up with new theories.  

The attorney was a great addition to explain the intricacies of criminal and Georgia law. 

Pat McAfee quit Barstool on Friday and is back out on his own.  New Podcast is Pat McAfee show 2.0 

Just downloaded the first episode.  Most of the Heartland crew is going to stick it out with him. I'm not big on any of the other barstool podcasts, but I followed McAfee before he went over there.  He's a crazy dude. 

4 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Heard an ad for  the new podcast from Wondery  Dr. Death today. Listened to the first 2 of 6 episodes - I'm hooked.

Its by the same people that did Dirty John. Its about a neurosurgeon in Dallas that's a fuckup and killed/maimed some people.

Read about that guy. He's not a neurosurgeon if I recall, because I guy I worked with almost had back surgery with this guy but didn't end up doing it. I think this guy is a soft tissue, knee/back surgeon if it's the guy in Frisco/Plano I'm thinking of.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm almost done with Season 1 of up & vanished.  It's been tempting to google this story to learn more but I decided to play along and stick to the podcast only.   

The guy who annoys me is the private investigator that is on the podcast from time to time.  He thinks everything and everyone is in on the conspiracy.  and then when new evidence is presented that conflicts with his opinion, he does a 180 and comes up with new theories.  

The attorney was a great addition to explain the intricacies of criminal and Georgia law. 

Up until recently, there was really not much on google about the case.  Then, there came a, uh, surprise.  Pretty cool if you were listening roughly in real time.  

If you like true crime, Framed is pretty good.  By one of the hosts of Generation Why.  He uses voice actors to reenact scenes, which is a bit cheesy to me, but works OK.  

It examines the disappearance (and presumably the murder) of a young man in a grocery store about 15 years ago.  In some sense, it's basically a real life locked room or dinner party mystery, where we know the killer is one of two guys or both.  Which is it?  We don't know.  If this catches on, I can see the online debates about this being unending.    

I love 99 PI, but sometimes he has one of his "producers" Joe Rosenberg do a story. Good lord that kid's voice is the worst possible radio voice of all time. It's vocal fry + helium voice + short. punctuated. words. that. make. one. sentence. 

Some people should have been told early on that they weren't meant to be heard. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Check out "Done Disappeared."

• Like 1

I finally got around to listening to Serial (the OG re: Hae/Adnan).

Maybe because it's like 5 years later, or maybe because I'd listened to S-town first, this was very underwhelming and meh. It was like a True Crime story that never did anything or went anywhere. Nothing was gained or lost, and it just went back and forth a bunch and ended where we started. I just didn't get they hype, but again, maybe because I'm listening 5 years later as opposed to when this first came out and it was ground breaking?

56 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Maybe because it's like 5 years later, or maybe because I'd listened to S-town first, this was very underwhelming and meh. It was like a True Crime story that never did anything or went anywhere. Nothing was gained or lost, and it just went back and forth a bunch and ended where we started. I just didn't get they hype, but again, maybe because I'm listening 5 years later as opposed to when this first came out and it was ground breaking?

I listened to it for the first time about 6 months ago and had pretty much the same feeling when I was done. 

Post Oak Recommendation 

Started Most Notorious.  It's a serial killer/crime pod.  The one on Austin's midnight assassin was great.  Just listened to one about the last day of the Romanovs which was interesting.  Also one on Jack the ripper was good. 

Pretty basic stuff.  Host typically interviews authors.  I've added books to my Goodreads because of it.

I added Sword and Stone into the mix to help with my true crime fix. It's not bad but I feel like it depends entirely too much on audio clips (police interviews, court testimony, etc) that drag on for a long time as filler for the episodes. 

And speaking of true crime - I'm completely done with MFM. Even skipping the stupid girl chat at the beginning isn't enough. It's like they intentionally get facts wrong or mispronounce geographical names because they think it's cute. 

Edited by NorthLoop

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yeah it's like listening to some old band that broke new ground style-wise but were later copied to death by better musicians. I've never got the fuss about Gram Parsons, but he pretty much invented cool country-rock. Today his albums are pretty tedious. 

Murder City Houston is fun but really flawed. The hosts are way into Houston and its dark side, but they get bogged down in describing things where a picture would suffice. (Just send people to the web site.) They will spend about five minutes telling you exactly where some 1890s murder house was when they already said it was at the corner of Hamilton and Congress...The point was, that house was torn down a long time ago, and once stood where MMP is now, so technically MMP is a murder scene. Which is interesting, but not worth a five-minute buildup. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

38 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I've really gotten into the National Podcast of Texas from Texas Monthly. They just had Ray Benson talking about how he hooked Willie up with Beto and the history of his band. TM also does Daniel Vaughn's Fire & Smoke podcast.

Thanks.  I've added both to my pod cast app.  I used to read Texas Monthly cover to cover every month, but I don't it much any longer (even though I have a subscription).  

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, MillerEP said:

Yeah s2 of Serial kinda went off the usual format that made them good. I actually like s3's premise to do a deep look at how the criminal justice system works or doesn't work in America. 

There's a lot of travesties of justice ... weird how the Avery (obviously did it), Adnan (obviously did it), and West Memphis Three (likely did it) get picked for exposition. It did sucker me into a few more true crime podcasts.

56 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

lolwut? 

Are you a flat-earther too? 

I have done a decent amount of research on the case. I find that most who do realize they're likely guilty. I respect those that disagree, but there is quite a bit of evidence that points to their guilt not shown on the propaganda. Additionally, most of the supporters are pretty passionate to crazy, so trying to engage in a rational discussion is impossible. #nocloakroom (not saying you, just my experience)

• Like 1