What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

Been meaning to listen to Caliphate and just finished it yesterday. Wow.
Loved how it changed directions mid-series, but then came back to wrap up with the main interviewee. Don't want to spoil anything, but the interview in the last episode sort of unnerved me. Very well-done podcast, and Rukmini Callimachi is a badass. 
Yep. Great listen.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:24 PM, Kyle said:

Unequivocally the worst of the worst hosted by Douchemaster J. You hit the nail on the head. The guy did jack taco but interview a P.I. formerly hired by the family and his grandmother and somehow took credit for solving the case. The second version was hysterical watching him get taken for a ride by the Atlanta child killer. 

if you get to the end (i know, it's a slog), that's pretty clearly not the case.  there's a reason he saves the carpet evidence for the last episode. 

still, the best part of the show is the opening sound sequence with the anchors saying things like "at police task force headquarters"

On 12/28/2018 at 9:52 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Believed is a short podcast series that provides background about the Larry Nassar case, including victim commentary.  It's obviously a tough subject to listen to but it's crazy to listen to how this guy tricked so many people for years.   You literally shake your head at times.

Thanks for the recommendation - I have a couple episodes left.  It is done real well and quite an eye opener.

Conan has a new podcast called Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend.  If you like him, you'll like the podcast, but it's a bit awkward.  The premise is he talks to celebrities to see if they can be friends, but it's quickly abandoned.  He hasn't really figured it out yet, but it is entertaining if you're into him.

• 3 weeks later...

Not officially a podcast but a youtube channel that can't be listened as one:  https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

South African guy that has lived in China for ~10 years.  Posts on his experiences, good and bad.  

Another youtube channel, where he and his buddy share similar conversations: https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms

Imagined Life from Wondery is pretty great.

Each episode is about an hour and self contained.

They tell the story of a famous person as if you are that person. You don’t know who it is and you don’t get specific details at the beginning so they don’t give away who you are. For example, one episode is about Vladimir Putin and instead of telling you “You were born in Leningrad in The Soviet Union” they “You were born in the second largest city in your homeland”.

It gets more specific towards the end but I usually guess who it’s about pretty early on.

It’s a good one when you need something to listen to that isn’t a continuing story/big time investment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I found crimetown tough to follow.  Too many names to remember. 

I really liked Crimetown and I'm really upset that Season 2 is a Spotify exclusive. I appreciate needing to make money but the fracturing into non standard formats aint gonna work for me. You play in my beloved Beyondpod or you don't get listened to. I'm not smart enough to remember to check different apps.

Edited by relapse98

• 3 weeks later...

I've been missing out. I don't know why I have not really listened to any podcasts of any kind until recently. Being a tickethead might be to blame, but it's probably laziness.

I plowed through WW1 with Dan Carlin. That's a four hour plus investment for some of the episodes. It helps when you are out in the field and can focus on the story. God knows he takes his time to meander to his point(s), but it's worth it. 

Then after re-reading this I was reminded of Otis Gibbs.  I was already familiar with him from FB. Oh yeah, I have meant to listen to him for a while..

damn! Opening is Ray Wylie and away we go... I have cherry picked out what piqued my interest at the outset. I have a renewed respect for the Lomax family after today. 

Then there was Todd Snider. On Mushrooms and Ex and however much weed he had smoked that day. At some undefined late hour coming over to Otis' place to do it. No, not later. Now.

Otis very deliberately edits out much of his questioning. I can't remember who  here said they like that part of it, but it kind of annoys me on some level. I appreciate his effort to let the person tell their story without his input, but they really aren't are they? Their input is a response to his question or prompt that we are not privy to. He's still there, but is hidden as much as he deems necessary. Maybe it is for brevity. I don't know but I miss the interaction of the interviewer with the guest. Don't matter anyhow, will keep my ears listening.

So, yeah, thanks to all for the suggestions. 

On 2/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Then there was Todd Snider. On Mushrooms and Ex and however much weed he had smoked that day. At some undefined late hour coming over to Otis' place to do it. No, not later. Now.

I love Todd Snider. I've been going to Devil's Backbone Tavern where he got his start and donated a light up Shiner sign to them. The owner, Robyn (sister of Charlie and Bruce Robison), loved it. They've been hinting that Todd will be playing their Labor Day. Todd Snider at Devil's Backbone Tavern? Uh yeah, me and ole Miss Vergie will be there.

Nsiap

Walking the Floor 

I knew about Shiflett from the littlest of Tickets. Corby mentioned that he was really into country. Hmm that's innerestin. 

Ffw to me hearing him on with Otis Ginbs. Oh yeah. Him. Let's go look him up again. What?! He has a podcast too?

Ok then. 

Dwight Yoakam was worth the trip to find Shiflett. 

Nsiap
Walking the Floor 
I knew about Shiflett from the littlest of Tickets. Corby mentioned that he was really into country. Hmm that's innerestin. 
Ffw to me hearing him on with Otis Ginbs. Oh yeah. Him. Let's go look him up again. What?! He has a podcast too?
Ok then. 

One more time in English please. I like some of the words you used but have no idea what you are saying.
  • Like 1

Nsiap
Walking the Floor 
Ok then. 

I think I can interpret that into readable text.

*Not Sorry if Already Posted

I enjoy the podcast Walking the Floor (hosted by Chris Shiflett the lead guitarist of the Foo Fighters).

I knew about Shiflett as a musician from Corby “snake” Davidson’s mentioning that Shiflett likes country on Davidson’s radio program the Littlest Ticket airing in 1370am the “Ticket” D-FW. I found Shiflett’s love of country interesting.

FastForward to a time when I heard Shiflett on Otis Gibb’s podcast. As mentioned, I was familiar with the name Shiflett, but upon hearing him on the Gibb’s program I looked up Shiflett. To my surprise he has his own podcast on which he discusses music, primarily country music. Ok then.

Christ Shiflett’s program Walking the Floor is a good podcast, worth a listen. I really enjoyed the time he had Dwight Yoakum on.*
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

One more time in English please. I like some of the words you used but have no idea what you are saying.

Chris Shiflett of the Foo fighters was mentioned by Corby of KTCK as also having a side gig fronting a country band. This was learned during a baseball game with them and Jack White, Shiflett, and others. 

Ffw to Otis Gibbs podcast, Thanks for Giving a Damn. Hear Shiflett talk about himself and the side gig. Google him and walla,  he has a podcast. Lo and behold Dwight Yoakam is a long interview. Among others. 

I still listen to MFM from time to time but Goddamn sometimes those girls make me want to boil my ears off. I could make a good drinking game out of that podcast. 

- Take a drink every time they spoil their own murder story before they even get started

- take 2 drinks whenever Georgia intentionally mispronounces a word thinking it's cute. 

- take a drink every time Karen mentions that she used to be an alcoholic. 

etc. 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:46 PM, relapse98 said:

I love Todd Snider. I've been going to Devil's Backbone Tavern where he got his start and donated a light up Shiner sign to them. The owner, Robyn (sister of Charlie and Bruce Robison), loved it. They've been hinting that Todd will be playing their Labor Day. Todd Snider at Devil's Backbone Tavern? Uh yeah, me and ole Miss Vergie will be there.

Badass!!!

and username checks out

I hated myself a lot at first for this, and still do a little, but some of Dax Shepard's armchair episodes are really solid. He doesn't exactly hold back. He did one with Gordo from the ticket that is truly incredible. 

How did this get made where they rag on a terrible movie is usually solid if you've seen that movie. 

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

I can't image 3+ hours of those two.

It gets better!!!! Joe is bringing in Eddie Bravo in less than an hour! LMAO

So far it's Jones ranting non stop and Joe telling him to stop and calm down so they can talk about what was just said

On 2/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, NorthLoop said:

I still listen to MFM from time to time but Goddamn sometimes those girls make me want to boil my ears off. I could make a good drinking game out of that podcast. 

- Take a drink every time they spoil their own murder story before they even get started

- take 2 drinks whenever Georgia intentionally mispronounces a word thinking it's cute. 

- take a drink every time Karen mentions that she used to be an alcoholic. 

etc. 

Do they still just talk about themselves for the first 3/4 of the podcast and then do a cursory overview of the actual topic? I quit. They were a beating.

Comedy:

Monday Morning Podcast w/ Bill Burr

Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend

SModcast

Tell Em Steve-Dave

Congratulations w/ Chris D'Elia 

Harland Highway

Pass The Gravy

Sports:

Surlyhorns

Pardon My Take

Longhorn Blitz